Register

<< First1213141516Last >>
Author Topic:
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: April 19, 2008 06:42
I wanted to watch ROTK DVD yesterday, but since I don't have my own dvd player I was overrulled by my brother who wanted to watch cartoons. :banghead:.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2008 06:44
We were playing a review game in history and one of the fun categories was movies. one of the questions was name three movies by Steven Spielburg. This girl in my class answers and she's like 'ummm, Star Wars... aaaand Lord of the Rings!..aand..'
me: :twitch: :cry: :angry: :banghead:
I corrected her by answering: E.T., Indiana Jones, and War of the Worlds.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 22, 2008 07:24
Okay, here comes another one.

Me and my mum were watching ROTK EE the other day, and we'd just got to the bit where Sam and Frodo are on Mount Doom and Sam sees that star.
Her: "Is that the Evenstar?"
Me: "No. The Evenstar isn't an actual star, it's just a translation of Arwen's surname. See, Arwen is Arwen Undomiel, and Evenstar is Undomiel translated into English, so..."
Her: "Arwen Dolmio?"
Me: :twitch: "Nooooooo.... Arwen Undomiel..." *starts cackling like Wicked Witch of the West* "Arwen Dolmio!"

I still can't get rid of the mental image... Arwen's pasta sauce... I have a weird sense of humour.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: April 23, 2008 05:10
Arwen Dolmio!
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2008 05:44
That's funny, Loony. Arwen Dolmio with meatballs and spaghetti. Looool!!
Imahobbitgirl2
Realm Leader of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: May 05, 2008 02:04
Being the LOTR novice that I was in my youth, I'm usually the one that has asked the stupid questions. Here are a few off the top of my head. (Please don't judge me for my lack of LOTR knowledge. I was a complete fool of a Took. :blush: )

After I first read FOTR I went back and watched the movie. When Boromir died and Merry and Pippin were kidnapped by the Uruk-hai, I shouted out, "THAT didn't happen in the book!" I hadn't read TTT yet!

A very nice guy I knew was a complete LOTR fanatic. (WHY am I never obsessed with anything at the right time? I could've married this guy! :rolleyes: ) When TTT was about to come out he asked me if i'd like to go see it with him. I declined. (D'OH!! :banghead: ) He tried to explain to me what TTT was about, but as usual, I just didn't get it. When he mentioned the return of Gollum, I immediatly latched onto that as one of the few things I'd gleaned off of the Rankin-Bass Hobbit, which I'd grown up with but hadn't seen in a long time. "Gollum? You mean that weird frog-thing from the Hobbit? I loved him!" Yes, folks, I actually thought Gollum was some sort of frog-creature, judging by the way he looked in the animated Hobbit. Blame Rankin-Bass. :rolleyes:

The actual first time I saw TTT was at my sister's (my other not-quite-as-LOTR-liking sis) place. My brother-in-law seemed to understand the story even if I didn't and he, once again, was being very patient in explaining it to me. (Aren't I blessed to be surrounded by so many patient people? ) My questions ran like this, for example, on Gandalf's return:

Me: "Hey, didn't Gandalf die?"
B-I-L: "Yeah, back in the first movie, but he's back."
Me: "What about that evil white wizard guy? Is he still around?"
B-I-L: "Saruman? Yeah, he's still around."
When Gandalf says he's "Saruman as he should have been:
Me: "Ha! So Gandalf is the evil wizard guy! He just said he was!"
B-I-L: "No, he's Gandalf the White now. He's still Gandalf."
Me: "But what about the evil wizard guy? Where is he?"
I could just hear his frustration. :twitch: (I just couldn't grasp that there could be TWO White Wizards. I thought they were only assigned one color and if a Wizard got another color it meant that the Wizard who's color it formerly was had died -- or something like that. :dizzy: )

And now my personal favorite The single stupidest thing about LOTR I ever said was back when my sister first tried to explain it to me. I was deep into Harry Potter, so the first question out of my mout was -- get ready for this -- "Are there wizards?" :rolleyes: :twitch: :nono: :banghead: :dizzy:
My sister's answer, smooth as silk: "Yeah, a couple."
mintchip
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2008 02:00
I was doing a report about Tolkien at school and my teacher came and asked me what I was doing my report on. I told her I was doing Tolkien. So I went on reading my book about it, it made a joke about people spelling Tolkien's name wrong and spelling it tolkon. My teacher (who I didn't know was still there) asked me, "How do you spell that? Tolkon?" I told her the right way. But when she left I sighed to my self, she was a librarian.
Elfine_Baggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2008 10:16
Hi all, I'm new to this trhead but I couldn't let this one go unnoticed.
When I was at school, there was a girl there who claimed to be a huge fan of LOTR so, naturally, I started talking to her about it as I didn't know anyone as obsessed with the story as me lol. Considering we were all wee year 8 students, she was impressed that I had read the books.
It was when I told her that I had read the books before I saw the movie that she went off on one... she told me that I couldn't be a true fan because the movies came first .
She honestly thought that Tolkien was some bloke that had made the screenplay into a novel and couldn't understand why he hadn't stuck to the script.
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.
TheOrangeblossom
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2008 10:52
Well, this was not a question, but anyway: My family and I saw The Return of the King when I suddenly realized that my husband was sleeping... That's one thing we don't share!
Galethiel
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: July 20, 2008 09:25
I didn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Poor you.... :dizzy:... I'd probably scream at them if something like that happened to me.

I think I was in year 8 when I started reading LOTR... I was about 13 sooo.... yeah.
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 04:21
well the dumbest thing ive been asked is "what is LOTR?"
i just about died
Hravan
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 04:36
I think the most annoying comment I've heard was when I was watching the RotK EE on my laptop at a friend's sleepover (they were watching Doctor Who which I hate) and one of my friends look over my shoulder and said "What the hell is Dumbledore doing in Lord of the Rings?" :twitch:

heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 10:44
Right, the most stupid question ever heard. I was strolling around with two friends of mine when we start talking about books (they do know i love TLoTR). One of them doesn't really know what to read and asks me for advice (knowing I read a lot).
Me- Well, you cold try and read Tolkien, you might end up loving his books.
She- Ehhh... yeah... but... who is this Tolkien guy? Could you name any book he's written?
:banghead:
I just started staring at her and didn't really know what to say... finally my other friend said it might be he guy that wrote the TLoTR-books... :twitch: Unbelievable!
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2008 11:31
lol the brick thing is a nice effecct
Lothara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 11:49
I always get asked stupid questions like:
What's the whole point of LotR?
Does LotR have Frodo and Gollum in there?
Why do I(Lothara) like LotR?
They need some serious help...
Here AR! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
I wish I lived in Middle Earth, I wish I was a Timelord, I wish I attended Hogwarts, but I must always remember, I am a Ranger's Apprentice.
Araluen_Ranger
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 25, 2008 04:37
hehe
yay
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2009 07:01
I was trying to explain LotR to my cousin, who is like ten, and when I was about halfway through I mentioned something else about Sauron (who I had already told her about) and she said, "Wait, is that one of the bad guys?" :banghead: I love my cousin...

[Edited on 3/22/2009 by WestoftheMoon58]
WestoftheMoon58
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2009 04:22
I have another one...
Trying to get my dad to remember which one was Galadriel, for the millionth time.
Dad: Who's Galadriel again?
Me: The Lady of the Golden Wood.
Dad: Huh?
Me: Remember? the blond one...from Lorien...the one Gimli called a sorceress...
Dad: Oh, that one! I remember.
Me: Right. The wife of Celeborn.
Mom: Wait, she was married?!
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2009 05:35
Okay, I'm sitting on the sofa with my two friends. We're watching TT and both have never seen it before. One of my friends is a bit of a know it all, so when the other asks a question, it goes something like this:
Friend One: Who's that blond lady on the pony?
Friend 2: That's Legolas. Isn't she hot?
Friend 1: Yeah, she is.
Me: Uh, people, Legolas is a guy.
It was one of those "you had to be there" moments.
Eowine
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 17, 2009 08:00
Lmao! That would've funny to see their faces!
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2009 12:17
A girl at my school thought that the "Even" part of Evenstar was pronounced Evan... Needless to say, even the people who had only seen the movie jumped to contradict her. And then a Welsh buff got involved... For some reason, she still wouldn't give in, and refused to believe everyone else.

((Yes, I know a Welsh buff...)) :love:
DwarfMaster
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2009 07:57
one of my freinds: ''Isn't Gandalf in Harry Potter or something?''
Lucy_Took
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 13, 2009 04:54
I was explaining The Magician's Nephew(Prequel to "The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe") to my Mom,and when I got to the part about the rings that got the children to Narnia,she asked-"Oh,so is that what Lord of the Rings is about?" :banghead:

[Edited on 13/5/2009 by Lucy_Took]
Phoebe
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2009 12:40
I went to see Star Trek with a bunch of my friends a few weeks ago. While we were driving home...

Me: You all do know that the man playing McCoy was Éomer in Lord of the Rings, right?
Everyone: Really?
Me: Yeah
Everyone: Wait, who's Éomer?
Me: *facepalm*

These are people who claim to be huge LoTR fans too...

Oh...and how can I forget this one...

I was taking a class last semester that was supposed to focus on famous (mostly fictional) heroes. I signed up for this class under the impression that it would involve at least some in-depth discussion about Lord of the Rings. When our professor asked us to talk about our own favorite hero stories, someone mentioned Lord of the Rings, to which he responded, "Now, what is that?" At which point, my hopes for an in-depth discussion about the story went down the drain.

Bear in mind that this man has taught this course for several years and has absolutely no excuse not to know what Lord of the Rings is. When he called on me, I attempted to explain the story to him and quickly realized that I was going too in-depth for him to understand even the basic plot line.

[Edited on 16/6/2009 by Phoebe]
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2009 03:33
I went to see Star Trek with a bunch of my friends a few weeks ago. While we were driving home...

Me: You all do know that the man playing McCoy was Éomer in Lord of the Rings, right?
Everyone: Really?
Me: Yeah
Everyone: Wait, who's Éomer?
Me: *facepalm*

These are people who claim to be huge LoTR fans too...

Oh...and how can I forget this one...

I was taking a class last semester that was supposed to focus on famous (mostly fictional) heroes. I signed up for this class under the impression that it would involve at least some in-depth discussion about Lord of the Rings. When our professor asked us to talk about our own favorite hero stories, someone mentioned Lord of the Rings, to which he responded, "Now, what is that?" At which point, my hopes for an in-depth discussion about the story went down the drain.

Bear in mind that this man has taught this course for several years and has absolutely no excuse not to know what Lord of the Rings is. When he called on me, I attempted to explain the story to him and quickly realized that I was going too in-depth for him to understand even the basic plot line.

[Edited on 16/6/2009 by Phoebe]

Wow. That's inspiring. How has nobody even mentioned the Lord of the Rings in his classes until now? Siiiiigh.
LadyGwennethEruwestiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2009 12:32
These stories are hilarious. But it's sad that so many people know so little about LoTR.

I have to admit though that there was a time when i knew as little as the rest of them. Before the movies came out I was under the impression that hobbits were fat little bald men that sat under trees all day long and talked to animals. (this makes no sense, i know.)

When I first saw TTT i hadn't read the books [i][/i]or seen the FotR. As you can imagine I was rather confused. I didn't know Frodo and Sam were hobbits until they were captured by Faramir and his rangers. And i thought Legolas was a woman for the first half hour or so of the film.

[Edited on 20/7/2009 by LadyGwennethEruwestiel]

[Edited on 21/7/2009 by LadyGwennethEruwestiel]
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2009 05:38
Ok, this might be more of a statement than a question, but... anyway.
I was just showing my LoTR wallpaper (with arwen and aragorn) to my sister:
Me - Isn't it pretty?
Sis - Mmmpfff.....
Me - What?You don't like it?
Sis - It's just that guy... I don't like him. He just thinks he's so great because he's a king... Seriously, what makes him great? He's just stupid...

[Edited on 24/7/2009 by heri_sinyë]
Ashbrook
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2009 09:48
My fiancee- "So is that like an engagement ring, or a man-ring?"

0_0
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2010 07:48

I like this thread'

My dad has read the books about 30 years ago, and he´s kinda forgotten it. One I had a little quiz on him.

Me: So, do you remember: in the third movie, Do you remember the end of it? Who became king?
Dad: Uh... Arwen?
Me: :nono: It was Aragorn. Remember? A-r-a-g-o-r-n.
Dad: The man with dark hair who was married with the woman with dark hair?
Me: Yes... sort of
Dad: sorry, I mixed up.

He mixas up a lot. Once he mixed up Theoden and Denethor.

And once when I tried to explain what´s Silmarillion to my friends
Me: Well its sorta the history of middle-earth. You know what happened before the ring was found.
silence
Friend: ok... has this something to do with LOTR?
Me: realizes haven´t told them it´s by tolkien cos thought they´d understand Yes! :banghead:

And one yet:
"Are they gay?" A friend of mine (who´s seen the movies) when seeing Aragorn kissing Boromir on the forhead when he dies.:cry:

[Edited on 7/1/2010 by Gwenniel]
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2010 03:03
Ok, this might be more of a statement than a question, but... anyway.
I was just showing my LoTR wallpaper (with arwen and aragorn) to my sister:
Me - Isn't it pretty?
Sis - Mmmpfff.....
Me - What?You don't like it?
Sis - It's just that guy... I don't like him. He just thinks he's so great because he's a king... Seriously, what makes him great? He's just stupid...

LMAO!!!! XD XD OMG I Lawl'd SO hard on that one!!

[Edited on 24/7/2009 by heri_sinyë]
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 16, 2010 06:18
The context was a Aragorn/Arwen relationship video on Youtube. It was clips and pics from the movies, with the song "What I did for love" from A Chorus Line in the background. This was one of the comments*:

"I'm not familiar with Arwen (a British Isles luminary?...she certainly has a fabulous voice). I wish I could sing that well with my own performances, as uploaded to YouTube."

If only all such ignorant questioners were so polite.

*The commentor shall remain anonymous in the interest of privacy.
Ithildinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2010 06:08
Ah, what a good topic, I have not laughed so hard for awhile!

As for my own experiences, I was very young, when first movie came out (about 6 or 7). I begun reading books only after seeing the movie and naturally, I was extremely confused with the amount of names and places. I mixed up Elendil and Elrond, Merry and Pippin, diffferent elves, hobbits... you get the idea. Most hilariously, I thought for awhile that Legolas was girl. (It made sense in a strange way, because it didn't seem fair that there was no girls in fellowship.)

In a way, I have gotten extremely lucky with my family members, because all of them have read at least LotR books and seen movies several times (which is how I get into the whole thing, when I was so young), so while they may forget some names or get characters mixed up a little, at least they know the general point of the story quite well. Still, there are some funny occurences.

For example, watching any movies with my father is pain. He always criticises some unimportant things and ruins the whole effect.

Like when we watched the first movie

Dad: *snorts* "Frodo is such a whelp. Every time when others run or fight he gets lost on the way or trips and lays sprawled on the ground and nearly dies."
Me: (want's to argue, but can't, because Frodo is indeed triping again) "It is the movie's fault. He was not like that in the book."
Dad: "Maybe. But Elijah Wood has for sure got an easy job. All he has to do is sigh all the time and roll his pretty blue eyes.

(about Arwen)
Dad: for an elf she is quite a hag, isn't she?
Me: DAD!
Dad: Well, she is! And her daddy is gross-dressing druggie.

(About Legolas, during the Moria fight scene)
Dad: "Orli is like James Bond. He could crawl through just about anything and still have nice white shirt and not a hair out of place. By the way, Frodo is on the ground again. Seriously."

(when Boromir dies)
Dad: "Sean Bean always seems to get a parts where his dies in extremely dramatical and pathetic ways."
Me: "Way to ruin the moment."
Dad: "Though Boromir was quite an idiot, falling to the ring like that. If you compare him with Aragorn and his brother what's-his-name..."
Me: Faramir?
Dad: "Yeah."
Me: "Faramir's character was butchered in the movie, too, remember? And their daddy was turned into downright moron."
Dad: "Well, this is a Hollywood for you."

(When we were watching TTT and Troy at the same time)
Me: "Aww, why did you have to switch channel now? This was just getting to the good part."
Dad: "What's the difference? On both channel there is some blonde gaymagnet fighting for his life.
Me: "No picking on LOTR! And Achilleus is my favourite character!"
Dad: *smiling* "Yeah. Whatever."
Me: hmph. *goes to kitchen tv*

(Watching ROTK with my mother, the place where eagles were carring Frodo and Sam out of Mordor.)
Mom: "They should have gotten the eagles in the first place. Would have spared them some trouble."
Me: *laughs* "Yeah. Though this would not have been very interesting movie, would it now."
Mom: "With ten o'clock bus... In Mordor within a half an hour, then comes hard part, have to climb on a mountatin a little...
Me: "Helicopter... though I like the eagle idea. Then there is no need for hobbits at all. Hey, could Ring affect the Eagles? Maybe if they put it on their claw, or something.
Mom: *laughs* "I doubt it would work that way."

Not really funny, but cute
Aunt: "Hey, I have your Lotr DVDs with me."
My nine-year-old cousin: "What is it?"
My aunt: "their are like fantasy movies" *explains a little.* "We can watch it all together, when we see next time."
As a result, we had overexcited nine and six years old running around the room screaming "Hobbits, hobbits!" Awww...

My older cousin is examining my bookself, and finds "The Children of Hurin"
Cousin: "This is Tolkien's?"
Me: "Yeah"
Cousin: "Is it any good?"
Me: "I like it, but it is kinda dark, everyone will kill themselves at the end.
Cousin: *stares at me* "Thanks for telling this to me... now."
A random friend: "This sounds so emo..."

And my own most stupid LoTR comment ever AKA The Bedtime Extra...
Year is 1998-9
My cousin: "What is this story about?"
Grandma: "This is very interesting. There are hobbits, they are such small folk living inside the hills, and there are wizard and elves and dragon and treasure... Trust me, you will like it."
Four-Year-Old-Me: Hobbits? But this sounds so boring!"
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2010 05:07
friend-Lord of the Rings... isn't that the one where some kids wander into a wardrobe and find a ring that they have to destroy?

me- yes..... if it were called the "Lord of the Witch and the Wardrobe"... and no, to answer your question.

Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Ithildinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2010 02:18
A few days ago

Mum: "I watched some LotR videos in Youtube. For soundtracks, you know."
Me: "And..."
Mum: "Which one was Boromir, which one Faramir?"
Me: "You mean, from actors?"
Mum: "No, I mean... which one lived longer?"
Me: "Faramir"
Mum: Yeah... They were brothers, right?
Me: (deep breaths... count to ten, slowly!) Riiiight...
Mum: "Were they both in Fellowship?"
Me: Nooo... :banghead: (Note to self: banging head against the wall doesn't help any, at least when head is your own.)
Mum: "Oh... I should rewatch the films sometimes soon."
Me: "Rather reread the books. When did you last read them anyway?"
Mum: "Um... doesn't remember."
Me: "Before or after the first movie came out?"
Mum: "Errr..."

Sigh. At least she got the names right. Have to give it to mum, though. It has been about decade since she last read the books and she has seen every movie only three or four times over the years.
EthelwulfHanrahan
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2010 04:30
i remember having to explain gollum's story to my cousin, she didn't understand at all even after seeing return of the king how the ring transformed him from a hobbit to what he became.
<< First1213141516Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email