<< First1314151617Last >>
Author Topic:
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: May 23, 2010 03:12
Here comes my infamous mother again...

Well, last night, we were treated to a television showing of FotR, which of course got me talking about all things Tolkien. I'm not even going to repeat all the mistakes, but here's a selection of the worst ones.

Mum: "Fëanor? Isn't that that blonde girl who makes the horrible soup?"
Me: *ack-g-gack* "No, Mother, Fëanor is --" *produces Fëanor bookmark* "-- this guy."
Mum: "Mmm. Dishy."
Me: "You're thinking of Eowyn."
Mum: "Fëanor, Eowyn, they all sound the same."
Me: *desperately trying to restrain killer instinct*

Me: "...and Boromir's mother was Finduilas of Dol Amroth..."
Mum: "...Feel-your-a**e?"
Me: "Mum!!! Finduilas."

(This was about an hour before the last one, just after FotR had finished.)

Me: "Quick quiz question. Name Boromir's father and brother."
Mum: *much umm-ing and ahh-ing* "...Faramir?"
Me: *just about jumps off the couch* "Bingo! And his dad?"
Mum: "...Theoden?"
Me: *groans*

(A couple of minutes after the Fëanor/Eowyn fiasco.)

Mum: "So Eowyn got married to Eomer, right?"
Me: "Ewww! No!" *gives up*

There was a prize-winner about Morgoth too, but unfortunately it's slipped my mind. The best ones always seem to...
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2010 08:00
Mum: "Fëanor? Isn't that that blonde girl who makes the horrible soup?"

Let me at her! Let me at her! :evil:

Me: "...and Boromir's mother was Finduilas of Dol Amroth..."
Mum: "...Feel-your-a**e?"
Me: "Mum!!! Finduilas."

Oh my... :rolling:
Try and remember the one about Morgoth, I bet it's just as hilarious!
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 27, 2010 12:27
Still haven't remembered the Morgoth one, sorry, but my mother just made another funny... um... one-word statement, I suppose.

We were just playing LotR Trivial Pursuit, and the winning question concerned the box of salt Sam brought from the Shire. I answered correctly, won, did a little seated happy dance, then asked Mum if she'd learned anything during the course of the game.

Mum: "I learned I don't want to play this [expletive] game." (A fine way to talk seeing as she's been avoiding it for days.)
Me: "Yes, but did you learn anything about Middle-Earth while we were playing?"
Mum: *stares at table for a minute* "Eh... eh... salt!!!" *runs off to get a drink*
Me: *ROFLs then immediately posts this*

Another one, again took place during Trivial Pursuit.

Me: "Who is named as Lord of Moria in the inscription on the West Gate doors?"
Mum: "Uh... it's one of those... big gnomes..."
Me: *groan/scream*
Mum: "Dwarves, it's one of those dwarves."
Me: "Yes, but which one? A name?"
Mum: "Ummmm. ... Gimli-a?"
Me: *headtable* :cry:
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
Ithildinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2010 07:26
Some of our school LARPers call one girl from my class Frodo, because she is too short. Many people find it funny, though about 90% of them don't know what it is about.

Anyway, we were walking with couple other girls.

Girl 1: Frodo!
Girl 2: *bursts out laughing on no apparent reason*
Me: *laughs too* Wherever that came from?
Girl 1: don't know... just sprung into my mind.
Me: my cousin used to do similar thing. She always walked up to me and said 'hobbit!'
*blank looks*
Girl 1: hobby... what?
Me: hobbit! you know, like Frodo
*more blank looks*
Girl 1: what the hell is hobbit?
Me: *sigh* Frodo is.
Girl 2: wait, what?
Me: Have you never watched The Lord of the Rings?
Girl 1: what does that have to do with anything?
Me: Never mind.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 04, 2010 04:30
I'm baaack. Another one from my mother.

I was at a social group I go to, and had spent the last half-hour or so on the Wii making Miis of LotR characters. (I'd created Legolas, Aragorn, Gimli, Frodo, Pippin and Sam.) I then had the following conversation with mommy dearest:

Me: *laughs randomly*
Mum: "What?"
Me: "I was just thinking... you can use your Mii as a driver on Mario Kart, right? Well, what do you reckon it would be like going round a racecourse with, for example, Denethor?"
Mum: *horrified look* "No!"
Me: (knowing how little she knows about LotR) "Out of interest, who do you think Denethor is?"
Mum: "You know... that big spiky black guy. The evil one."
Me: *quaking with silent laughter*
Mum: "...Is that wrong?"
Me: "You're thinking of Sauron! Denethor is the Steward of Gondor. They have nothing to do with each other. Well, actually... no, to keep it simple we'll go with that."

Half an hour later, back home, I'd dug out my LotR Top Trumps cards for use as an identification guide.

Me: *holds up Denethor and Sauron-as-eyeball cards* "See, this one is Sauron. This is Denethor. Completely different people."
Mum: "But Sauron appears as a person sometimes, doesn't he?"
Me: "...Yes, but... oh, for the last time, Mother, Sauron is not Denethor!"
Rawadaneth
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2010 08:28
The first time I watched the FotR I was about eleven. When Bilbo picked up the ring during the prologue I asked whether hobbits were good or evil.

The first (and only) time my brother watched the Helm's Deep scene we had a conversation that went a little like this:

Kev: Why is that guy (a.k.a Aragorn) screaming at Eddie?
Me: Eddie?? :dizzy:
Kev: The blonde dude!
Me: You mean Haldir?
Kev: No, Eddie!!
Me: Haldir!!
Kev: Eddie!!!
This continued for 5 minutes, during which time Haldir died. I tried to tell him who Haldir was, but he wouldn't listen. Eventually, I had to leave the room.

My sister has recently become more interested in the LotR, but still makes common errors, like confusing:

Boromir and Faramir
Saruman and Sauron
Merry and Pippin
Éowyn and Éomer
Éowyn and Arwen
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: August 05, 2010 07:32
My friend's nine-year-old brother watched it for the first time:

Him: It was really long!
Me: Oh, you probably watched the extended edition then. There were some really funny parts with Legolas and Gimli at Helm's Deep, did you see those?
Him: What Helm's Deep, and who's Gimli?
Me: ... The big fortress in the second one?
Him: You mean the one with the wolf thing? That was cool!
Me: No, that was Minas Tirith. Helm's Deep is in Rohan.
Him: What's Rohan, the one that blew up?
Me: Yes, but that was only in the movies. THe books were different.
Him: Well, it did blow up, but why were all the people who came in dresses? With long hair?
Me: They were elves, and robes, and it's like medieval times.
Him: What's medieval?
Me: A really long time ago.
Him: Like Star Wars? But why were there bombs, because it blew up?
Me: No, not like Star Wars.
Him: But that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away!
Me: And they messed up the movie, they didn't have bombs.
Him: But the movie's always right!
Me: No, it's... oh never mind. :banghead:
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 05, 2010 02:10
Him: But the movie's always right!
Me: No, it's... oh never mind.

:rolling: That's so funny! :hug: It's a bit sad when they don't understand though.
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: August 06, 2010 06:42
Well, I tried to excuse it: it was his first time watching and he's 9, but my friend's 12, (counting the days 'til she can join CoE) and she got it her first time watching. He thought the movies must have come first, because they did in Star Wars, and didn't get the names right, and I wanted him to just stop asking questions... but I didn't, because at least he was interested... lol
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2010 10:49
The nine-year-old does sound a little irritating. But again, first-time watcher. I would've expected him to know what "medieval" meant, though.

Well, my mother said a couple more stupid things this morning.

Her: "How many people were in the Fellowship?"

I wouldn't have been overly shocked (though it's one of the most basic facts of LotR), but my computer's wallpaper features the Fellowship, and she was actually looking at it as she asked me. Then, a few seconds later, she uttered this gem.

"Isn't Arwen in the Fellowship?"

I have no comments on that one, save this wonderful emoticon: :banghead:
She insists she wasn't serious, knew Arwen wasn't a member and only said it "to make my eyes pop out of my head". However, I know better.
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: August 10, 2010 05:42
Get her Sil for her b-day... that sometimes works. If it's a b-day present she has to seem grateful so she isn't rude.
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: August 15, 2010 12:05
*sob*
My poor poor mother...
I was reading Shannara as we passes my high-school and she said, "Oh, look, there's your school."
Of course I replied, "There is evil there that does not sleep."
DO YOU KNOW WHAT SHE TOLD ME?

"Is that from Shannara?"

A little part of me withered and died... I feel empty inside :sob:
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2010 11:55
Well, I was recently at the Festival in the Shire, and there was a storyteller there who was reciting Beren and Luthien. I dragged my mother along to this, hoping that it would aid in her understanding. However, it did not, as I found out when I later picked a picture of a woman and a wolf up off a stall. The first thing she said was: "Is that Luthien and Beren?"
I wasn't even shocked, is the sad thing. I just sighed disappointedly and told her something along the lines of, "No, Beren is the man and Huan is the dog."
She also made the mistake of thinking Beren was the woman and Luthien was the man. :rolleyes:

17/8/10: Talking to a teacher today. Ranting about LotR and the Silm., as usual - mostly Silmarillion. Anyway, we somehow got talking about how Elves were originally the "superior" race in First-Age Arda, but they diminished as time went on. The teacher then said this:
"So... were humans the elves' slaves, then?"
Needless to say, I immediately put him right. But really, elves as slave-masters? The very thought is almost blasphemy.

[Edited on 17/8/2010 by LOTR_obsessed_loony]
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 18, 2010 06:46
I don't even have a teacher to talk to about Lotr or Silm. My Mom is my chief Middle-Earth buddy...but humans as elves' slaves?? :twitch:

Today I wen't to the library with my friend. Of course I own the Silm but only in english and French. So I wanted to, just for fun borrow it in Finnish (which is my native language). My friend saw the book and wanted to take a look. Reading the back page she commented that it seemed almost like Philosophy being all "weird and random". I agreed that it is a rather complicated tale with lots of names to remember. Her answer was "well then again 50% of all books are..." I don´t answer.
"Who the hell´s Melkor?" she says
"Um..." I begin, "you don't want me to give a full explanation... but he's like a God and he was Sauron's boss."
"So he's evil... Is Sauron a God?"
"Well, kinda like a sub-god... and Gandalf's too. And Saruman and Melian..."
"Melian?"
"Um, forget about that... she's in the Silm."
"And she's evil?"
"No! Not all Maiar are evil! It's just Sauron, the balrogs and later Saruman..."
"Maiar?"
"The sub-gods"
"Oh..." She hands me back the book. I don't think she'll ever read it...
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
on: August 19, 2010 10:37
Maybe she knows Lord of the Rings, and if you say it's the sort of 'prequel' or history of Middle-Earth, or something, she'd get it.

Because I find it to be our duty, as LotR fans, to inform the rest of the world...
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2010 05:15
Well, I was recently at the Festival in the Shire, and there was a storyteller there who was reciting Beren and Luthien. I dragged my mother along to this, hoping that it would aid in her understanding. However, it did not, as I found out when I later picked a picture of a woman and a wolf up off a stall. The first thing she said was: "Is that Luthien and Beren?"
I wasn't even shocked, is the sad thing. I just sighed disappointedly and told her something along the lines of, "No, Beren is the man and Huan is the dog."

Technically, she was right. Remember the part where Beren dresses up in the wolf-fell of Draugluin and Luthien dresses in the skin of the vampire Thuringwethil? Well, at the gates of Thangorodrim, Luthien sheds her disguise to put Carcharoth to sleep, but Beren stays in disguise. So yes, at one point, she was right. ^_^
RenFaire
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2010 08:58
My friend and I were looking at pictures from my sister's old LOTR calendar, and there was a picture of Merry offering his service to Theoden-
"Who's that guy about to get his head cut off?"
She was, of course, referring to Merry. And the same friend, while watching FOTR with me-
Abby: (Referring to Frodo, after being 30 minutes into the movie) Who's he?
Gwenniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2010 04:49
I drew some fanart and went to show it it to Mum. The picture portrayed Turin and a nose-bleeding Saeros arguing and Mablung trying to calm them down. So I asked Mum if she could guess what the scene was. She has read the Silmarillion about twice and I've told her load of it, but she couldn't recall any scene that would fit the image. So I gave two hints: 1. two of the guys are elves, 2. It takes place in Doriath.
She still couldn't figure it out. Then:

"The beaten-up guy, is it Curufin when he goes to Doriath to marry Lúthien?"

A moment of silence. Then I start laughing. Seriously, she sometimes comes up with the craziest alternate stories! (Not that Curufin indeed would get beaten up if he entered the lands of Thingol, and even Nerdanel wouldn't recognize his son...)

A moment later she tried with a new guess.
"Is it Caranthir going to marry Lúthien...?"
:nono:

[Edited on 20/11/2010 by Gwenniel]
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2010 07:35
Right. I was just looking at the Ivanneth pictures on the CoE Illustrations gallery. One of the comments on one of them was asking how many sons Fëanor had. I mentioned this to my mother.

Her: "Seven."
Me: "You knew that?"
Her: *smug look*
Me: "Okay, next test: can you name them?"
Her: *considers* "Nope. But they all sound like cough mixtures."
Me: :twitch:
Her: "Uhhh... Covonia, Lemsip, Night-nurse, Honey and Lemon, Calpol, Pepto-Bismol, Vinos..."
Me: :banghead:

Edit: Later on, we returned to the same subject.

Her: "One of them does sound like a cough mixture, though. One of them sounds like Covonia."
Me: "Well, there's Caranthir..."
Her: "Uh-huh."
Me: "...Celegorm, and Curufin."
Her: "Curufin. Curufin sounds like a cough mixture. Made out of fish skins."
Me: :rolleyes: "Right, I'm putting that onto CoE too."

[Edited on 20/11/2010 by LOTR_obsessed_loony]
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2010 09:10
I laughed so hard at that loony. Brilliant. Poor Curufin. :rolling:
I don't really share with anyone so I don't have any stories.
But keep them coming!
Lisseromen
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2010 05:58
I can't remember any questions cause it's been so long, but Eragon was on the other night and my dad walks into the kitchen and sees it on the tv and says, "oh, is this that Aragorn movie?"

If I had been in a chair, I would've fallen out.

I do remember being asked, why don't they fly the ring on the eagles? the nazgul...and the eye would spot them, duh.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2010 06:33
my brother asked me how to say "dark side" in elvish
i asked him "Quenya or Sindarin?"

...he thought "quenya" and "sindarin" were ways to say "dark side" in elvish... :rolleyes:

i thought i'd trained him better than that!
Rinion_Eldandil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2010 07:25
"Gimli had a uncle? How could I have missed that?"

He did. but his name was Oin
orcslayer96
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 25, 2010 08:36
(guy asks) why doesnt frodo just ride a dragon to mount doom and drop the ring into the volcanoe while flying over it
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2010 06:59
ugh... that's even worse than the ever-recurring eagle question...:banghead: obviously the dragon would eat him - not a good situation, unless the dragon subsequently dove into Mt. Doom, which i doubt it would
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2011 05:18
Sooo, my little sister is watchin LotR for the first time... got some real gems out of that

When Galadriel appears:
Sister: Is that Eowyn? (i had just confirmed for her thet "the dark-haired girl" was Arwen... guess she thought they were the only ones)
Me: No, that's Galadriel.
Sis: I have never heard that name before in my life.
Me: :twitch: Do you live in the same house as me?
In her defense, it turned out that she had misheard me

When Boromir was getting shot but kept on fighting, she asked if he had mithril like Frodo (though she didn't use the word mithril...)

Near the end of FotR, she asked if they destroyed the Ring in this one or the next one.... i told her there were three movies but she didn't get the significance of that. :rolleyes: I explained that as destroying the Ring was the main plot of LotR, it would take alll three movies to do it.

[Edited on 4/2/2011 by SongofNimrodel]
Aerena100
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 04, 2011 08:07
I asked this question who-knows-how-long ago... I think it was the first time I watched RotK

"Why don't the undead dudes pick up Frodo and take him to Mount Doom?"
~ Golden eye, fiery scale, a drake of flame guards your mountain, and spells your doom ~ ~ Heirs of Durin, reclaim your throne. Send the beast to his watery tomb ~
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2011 05:18
I got asked this by my gym teacher:

Me: (talking with my friends) Blah blah blah J. R. R Tolkien blah blah blah. . .

Teacher: Oh, isn't that the WOMAN who wrote HARRY POTTER?
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2011 09:35
*facepalms*

Well, it seems that my mother is finally beginning to see the light - she can actually remember the names of the members of the Fellowship, for a start - at some points I've despaired of being able to teach her even that. She still comes out with some gems of facepalmery, though, like the other day:

Me: (nattering on about replica weapons) "... And you can get Boromir's weapons, and they come with the Horn of Gondor, and you can get the Shards of Narsil, and Anduril reforged, and Sting..."
Her: "Sting?"
Me: "Yeah."
Her: *starts singing* "Don't stand so close to me..."
Me: :banghead:
Amme_Lirulin
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2011 01:09
Well, I've been asked some pretty dumb questions (when I was telling my siblings about FotR the first time I read it they were convinced the dwarf's name was Emily rather than Gimli, which really insulted my sister because that's her name), but the funniest thing that happened was when my dad, my brothers, and my cousin dragged me into a discussion of high powered sniper rifles and/or bazookas/flamethrowers in Middle Earth. I tried to explain the idea that it would be a massive disaster the whole way 'round because it's very likely Sauron or Saruman could get their hands on one and make them for the orcs. My lecture fell on deaf ears, however, because all four of them insisted that it would be the coolest thing ever if Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli had sniper rifles to pick of the Uruk-Hai one by one on the way to Isengard.
Image ~,~'~@ All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you.@~'~,~
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2011 09:27
I take it back... my mother has not seen the light...
We were recently visiting the Louvre during a short holiday. In one of the galleries we spotted a painting of Napoleon riding a horse on a snowy mountain. I made some joke about "I didn't know Napoleon was ever on Caradhras." My mother responds with:

"Is Caradhras the horse?"

I mean, in all the time I've spent ranting at her about LotR (about three-and-a-half, four years), I thought she might at least have picked up that Caradhras was a mountain, no? But then this is the woman that apparently thought Sauron, Saruman, and Denethor were all the same person. :banghead: Why me?
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2011 05:09
So, the Silmarillion came up, and one of my friends asked me just what was the whole history of Middle Earth...
Not so much a stupid question as it was stupid of her to ask me that.
In the time we had for me to explain the whole history of Middle Earth... We got through the beginning. The world was made.
And it took forever to explain the concept of Eru, Valar, and Maiar. You'd think at a Christian school, saying "Eru is like God. He made everything," would do the trick, but no. As soon as i say that, someone says "I thought Gandalf was God."
Me: :twitch: No, Gandalf is way not God."
Them: Wow, i really misinterpreted some symbolism."
(I decided not to go into Tolkien's opinion of allegories. They were overwhelmed enough without a discussion on symbolism in LotR.)
So, I'd gone over the whole thing like ten times - Eru is like God, he made everything, he made the Valar, yaddayaddayadda... i get this:
"So is Eru a man or an elf?"
Me: :banghead: He's God! Is God a man or an elf?
(probably not the best question on my part this time, what with it being a Christian school and Jesus being God and a man... but hopefully they got the idea.)
Then i tried to explain to them the concept of Ages. This went slightly better.
Slightly.

What was really exciting is that one of my friends was interested enough to let me continue explaining the whole history of Middle Earth, with the aid of a notebook on which i have written all the important names and drawn a confusing map/diagram involving stick people, arrows, and a very rough approximation of the geography of Middle Earth. I don't think she is retaining much, but under the circumstances she is doing remarkably well. Just the other day she remembered three whole names and approximately who they were! Morgoth, Feanor, and Fingon. I was so excited to hear her say those words.
Gladhaniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2011 05:26
I got asked this by my gym teacher:

Me: (talking with my friends) Blah blah blah J. R. R Tolkien blah blah blah. . .

AHAHAH! Now that's definitely the funniest fail.

I don't remember the exact context but, a while ago, my friend asked me a question which was meant to be about Saruman, but she said Sauron instead. I found that rather cute. She was so embarrassed afterwards!
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2011 07:48
A friend of mine recently asked me what "those eagle things" in LotR were...

Me: ...They're eagles.
Her: No, aren't they like gryphons or something?
Me: No, they're eagles.
~Fëanor_Curufinwë~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2011 11:41
My sis asked me, "Is Haldir Galadriel's husband?" Not really stupid, as Haldir and Celeborn are both elves with blonde hair(in the movie)... lol.
Before I ever knew about lotr... my bro was watching it, and I came in and saw Merry and Pippin after a battle, and asked who they were.
He said they were Merry and Pippin. I said, "So... is Merry Pippin's wife?" lol!

[Edited on 4/7/2011 by Dramorion]
<< First1314151617Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email