Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you've been asked
on: July 06, 2011 01:22
And this is the point at which I jump into Orodruin:

Naneth: "What's the trilogy called?"
Self: "What?"
Naneth: "The trilogy - The Lord of the Rings."
Self: *stares in bewilderment*
Naneth: "Is it actually called The Lord of the Rings?"

She thought The Lord of the Rings was the title of one of the volumes - I think she got mixed up with FotR.
(Also, during this conversation, I had the single-volume LotR right in front of me, so she was looking straight at it.)
I said, "So... is Merry Pippin's wife?" lol!
Well, according to fanfic...
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 18, 2011 03:40
I was recently telling various relations about my joy from the upcoming Hobbit movie... and getting various levels of blank stares. (well, i hadn't been expecting much.) Then my cousin asks what time period the Hobbit takes place in. I contemplated what the best way to handle this would be - even something as general as "The Third Age" would likely just befuddle her more. I started with "It's with LotR..."

She had no idea that the Hobbit was in any way connected with LotR.

No idea!

"That's why they call it the Hobbit," i said. "Because there is a hobbit in it. Like the hobbits in LotR." I explained that the Hobbit comes before LotR, because that's when Bilbo, the Hobbit referred to in the title, finds the Ring...

How can there be people in this world who don't know the basic plot of the Hobbit, and to whom the name Bilbo means nothing? How?
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2011 10:54
Well, I haven't asked a stupid question about Lotr... save assuming that Andúril is a sword of elvish origin, but that's detailed knowledge anyway (Andúril is dwarvish origin).

Anyway, this video belongs here, no doubt!
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2011 06:32
Hilarious!!!
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Stupid LotR questions you
on: January 28, 2012 07:00
A friend of my sister and I claims she will NEVER like LotR. So, naturally, we made her watch the movies! And i must say, she asked some pretty stupid questions...

*"Us" refers to my sister and myself

(about Frodo)
Her - Why isn’t he wearing shoes?
Us - Because he’s a hobbit.

(about Gandalf)
Her - Why does he have a sword if he’s a wizard?
Us - He has a staff and a sword.

(in Balin’s tomb)
Her - Why are they dead?
Us - Because orcs killed them, and they've got arrows sticking out of their heads!

(outside of the Gates of Moria)
Her - Why did he fall on the ground?
Us - Because that giant squid-thing just grabbed him!!

Her - Is Gimli an orc?
Us - NOOO!!!!
Her - No, like, “My precious.”
Us - OH! You mean Gollum? … No, he’s NOT an orc. He used to be a hobbit.

(At the end of FotR, when Frodo and Sam are in the boat together...)
Her - [looks away from screen] Ok, maybe it's not THAT bad...
[turns back to the screen and sees Boromir going over waterfall]
Her - WHAT?!?!? Is that- ???
Us - THAT'S BOROMIR!!!!!! NOT FRODO AND SAM!!!!! *breaks down laughing*

She’s got some odd ways of describing the characters too…
Pippin – “Merry’s other half”
Merry – “Pippin’s other half”
Gimli – “Angry little man with a beard” [for some reason, she keeps mixing him up with Gollum]
Legolas – “The Albino One”

This one was more recent, and not during the movies. We decided to test her on what she learned from watching FotR TWICE.

Us: Ok, so is the Ring good or bad?
Her: *thinks* The Ring's maker was good, but the Ring changed and became bad.
Us: *stares in disbelief* NO! The Ring's maker, SAURON, is bad, and the Ring is bad!!! It has not, will not, and can not EVER be used for good! *sigh*

Believe me, there's more where this came from...
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2012 07:12
This one makes me wanna cry:

Random guy at school: *points to LotR* What book are you reading?
Me: *proudly smiling* The Lord of the Rings
Random Guy: What's it about?
Me: *shocked but pleased that someone actually cares* Well, it's about this hobbit named Frodo who has t-
Random Guy: *cutting me off* He's got a stupid name, so i don't care.
Me: :twitch: :sob:
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 28, 2012 09:30
Random Guy: *cutting me off* He's got a stupid name, so i don't care.

:rolleyes: :nono:

If he really loved any books at all he wouldn't say that. :hug:
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2012 11:02
So, I expressed my desire to become a Tolkien linguist, and a guy at school asked what that was, so i explained that it was someone who studied the languages of Tolkien. Blank stare in response. "You know, the ones he wrote?" i say. He was completely unaware that Tolkien had written any languages. "Who do you think wrote the Elvish they have in the movies? Peter Jackson?" i say.
JMBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2012 11:25
My sister actually asked the eagle question lol...
in her defense, she hasn't read the books but still

[Edited on 19/2/2012 by JMBaggins]
Image"Our God is a Lord of angels and of men... and of elves." -J.R.R. Tolkien
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2012 11:35
One nite at dinner, LotR came up, and i mentioned Galadriel. And as we were talking, my little brother exclaimed in complete shock, "Galadriel's a GIRL?!" At another point, Arwen came up, and something similar happened... That's right, you guessed it... "Arwen's a GIRL?!? But it sounds like a boy name!!" :banghead:

A few days later, i decided to test him on some basic LotR knowledge. I started with this: "Is Eowyn a GIRL or a BOY?"
His response: Ummm... A boy???
Me: NOOO!!!! :banghead:

Sometimes I wonder how stupid people can get.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 20, 2012 05:04
So, my best friend hasn't read the books, but i have gotten her into the movies. She's only seen up to TTT, but she said that she saw a picture of "Sam marrying some lady"

Me: Do you know who "that lady" is?
Her: Ummm... Shelob???
Me: :banghead: :twitch: :dizzy: NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
Her: What?
Me: SAM. DID. NOT. MARRY. SHELOB! SHELOB IS A GIANT MANEATING SPIDER THAT TRIES TO KILL FRODO AND SAM!! DO YOU THINK HE WOULD WANT TO MARRY THAT?!?!?!

She has so much to learn. *sigh*
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 21, 2012 07:31
^ Rofl!!!
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2012 12:44
Talking to a friend in class, somehow we started talking about kings and so on.
Me: À propos kings, you know Aragorn?
She: Uhm, that Lord of the Rings dude?
Me: (*thinking: HURRAY, she knows it's LortR!!!)
She: That little guy, who everybody is in love with?
Me: You mean Frodo?
She: *nodds

Argh!
JMBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 22, 2012 11:25
I usually don't get many stupid questions because (except for my close family and friends) not many people know of my obsession (gotta change that ) but they know I like lotr. So in Italian class when I was reading lotr...again

Guy: so are those books any good?
Me: of course I'm rereading it actually
Guy:: why would you reread a book?
Me: because I like it... It's really good...
Guy: have you seen the movies?
Me: of course I have!
Guy: then why are you reading the book?
Me: *angry confused stare*

Yeah I know it's not that funny but it was definitely stupid...

Also in Italian class:
Another guy: *seeing my lotr book* yeah I tried reading the hobbit but I couldn't get past the first few pages
Me: oh...

At least both of these guys have seen the movies, much more than I can say for most of my other friends

So one of my closer friends is a huge Harry potter fan (as am I) who has apparently seen a bit of lotr but she thought "oh such a hp ripoff" I set her straight but she's still anti lotr it seems

Whoo! Longest post yet :disco:
JMBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2012 11:14
kk so i randomly asked my mom how many sons Feanor had... i wasn't expecting the right answer but...

Mom: 2
Me: No, 7
Mom: How was I supposed to know that?
My Brother: Who's Feanor?
Mom: *thinks* Wasn't he the guy who was nice to one of his sons and mean to the other?
Me: Nooo! that's Denethor!:cry:
Mom: How was i supposed to know that?!
Me: It's in the Silmarillion... I've only said it a few dozen times...

Hmm... Denethor/ Feanor mixup that one's new XD
alfirin48
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Stupid LotR questions you
on: July 23, 2012 08:27
One of my friends asked if they could bring the ring to some random volcano.
Also my mom (who has read the books and seen the movies several times each) asked the eagle question! :sob: :banghead: :sob:
~Fëanor_Curufinwë~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2012 05:45
*watching RotK with my mom*
Mom: *sees Sauron's eye looking around* What's with the spotlight?
Me: It's not a spotlight. It's the eye. Looking around.
*a few mins later*
Mom: The eye is ALIVE?!
Me: YES!

(when Sam finds Frodo in the tower)
Mom: why is Sam taking so long to give the ring back?

lol! she is so crazy.

Oh... I was talking with someone who had read the Sil (only person I know in real life who has read the whole thing) and wow... it was hilarious. He had everything mixed up... I almost fell out of the canoe laughing. (we were on a river)
Me: so who's your favorite character?
Him: uh... that blond guy...
Me: Oh yes cause there's only one blond guy in the sil....
Him: I think he killed himself...
Me: You mean Turin?
Him: Yeah! I think that's him...
Me: TURIN IS NOT BLOND!!!

*later*
Me: Do you like Feanor?
Him: Feanor? You mean the guy who took those jewels out of the wolf's mouth?
Me: No!! Feanor MADE the silmarils! How can you not know who he is? And the wolf... Beren is the one who was with the wolf.... the wolf bit off his arm.
Him: Who's Beren?
Me: Seriously?? The one who fell in love with Luthien...
Him: Oh! I thought that was Turin.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 30, 2012 06:08
Wow... my brother just read the Silm for a class, and it was... interesting. The only really terrible question i remember was what the Eldar were, but he sure needed a lot of help. he was reading rather swiftly to keep up with the class and he missed a few things at first... i mean, major details like Beren and Luthien coming back from the dead and Turin marrying his sister. But at least he's trying, ans says he'll probably read the Silm again so he can understand it better! I'm so proud of him.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2012 09:13
This one really isn't stupid, but I'm going to post it anyway...

Ok, so, remember the friend it mentioned earlier who asked if Sam married "Shelob"? And who I seemingly got into LotR? Well, for summer reading this year we have to read The Hobbit. Naturally I was excited, but she was dreading it. (which is strange, because she loves just about every book she reads, especially long ones) By the time she was at chapter two or three, she just told me, "I'm sorry Rebecca, but I just can't take reading BORING BOOKS by BORING PEOPLE!" : Me: 8O *sniffle*
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2012 12:46
Back especially in the 1800s and stuff was when the English language was better! It is so down-graded and sloppy now its crazy! I mean, it sounds fine, but something like French or Portuguese or Italian or anything like that is WAY better and more beautiful!
tolkiensgirl_ithilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2012 10:05
The one question I ALWAYS get asked is "why don't they just take the eagles?" Like it's a cab service they can hire. Usually I respond by exploding into 10-minute-long lectures or storming away, but how do I explain curtly, concisely, and rationally to people that you couldn't just take the eagles? I really want to avoid ripping someone's head off because they were the one person who asked that question too many times.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: August 03, 2012 01:47
Phillipa Boyens says that the Nazgul would have taken them out, but this doesn't make sense 'cos they were still on horseback at the start and on their way to the Shire. So Mordor had no aerial defence squadrons or anti-eagle weapons. The usual reason for why the eagles didn't just fly Frodo there is that they were messengers of Manwë, not really part of the world. That raises a whole host of questions though. My own answer is that such a quest would have failed. Whoever delivered the Ring would not have been able to drop it in, just as Frodo wasn't able. Could an eagle have done it? Now that, as they say, is the question.

P.S. Of course if you just want to confuse them you could tell them it was because the moth wasn't available.
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2012 04:37
Quote from tarcolan on August 3, 2012, 11:47

P.S. Of course if you just want to confuse them you could tell them it was because the moth wasn't available.

^^ lol!
tolkiensgirl_ithilwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 13, 2012 01:17
Talking about the upcoming Hobbit movies...
Me: I think Legolas will at least show up. He is Thranduil's son after all.
Guy: Uhh, I don't know who that is
Me: The elf king...the thing with the barrels...
Guy: I thought that was Elrond.
Me: *twitch*
Guy: Oh wait, Legolas is a big deal then?
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 28, 2012 10:15
*me, showing a friend a picture of the dwarves in the movie*

Friend: Which one's the girl?
Me: ...What???
Friend: The girl ones. Aren't Fili and Kili girls?
Me: ...*deep breath* No... No, they are NOT girls.
Friend: Oh! really?
Me: No. They have beards!!

*sigh*
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2012 01:32
Quote from GotPrecious on September 29, 2012, 08:15
*me, showing a friend a picture of the dwarves in the movie*

Friend: Which one's the girl?
Me: ...What???
Friend: The girl ones. Aren't Fili and Kili girls?
Me: ...*deep breath* No... No, they are NOT girls.
Friend: Oh! really?
Me: No. They have beards!!

*sigh*

That is HILARIOUS!!! Of course dwarf women have beards anyway, but Fili and Kili...women!? HAHAHAHA
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Sawien
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 01, 2012 12:58
Wow! There have been some really stupid questions. I've got a good one. I was ticked at the kids in my class so I called them orcs. The girl sitting next to me had been participating in a Tolkein discussion with me not more than 2 minutes earlier, pretending like she knew more than I did. she then proceeded to ask me what an orc was. I swear, my forehead hit the desk so hard i thought it would split in half. Then she started talking about them being called urks and how their never were orcs.
"A king is he that can hold his own or else his title is vain." -NelyaFinwe Maitimo (Maedhros)
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 06, 2012 08:15
^ LOLOL I would die!!

I recently got one of my friends into LotR. She still hasn't seen all of the movies (in fact, she hasn't even seen all of Part 1 of FotR lol) but she loves it. So we were talking about what she has seen, and somehow Gollum came up.

Friend: When did he die again?
Me: *confused... How does she know??* Ummm... What do you mean?
Friend: In the beginning, didn't he die? When he was in that weird thing?
Me: *relieved* Oooh, you meant when he was being tortured by the orcs! Yeah, uh, he's not dead. He's faaar from dead.
Friend: Awwww!! Really? I hate Gollum....
Me: Ya, well get used to seeing him. lol

I swear, she is TERRIFIED of Gollum. Whenever I mention his name she's like, "NO DONT SAY THAT NAME!!!!" Another time I was singing Gollum's Song and she flipped out at me for it. She's gonna have a rough time watching these movies. *evil*
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 10, 2012 10:51
I was having a LotR duel with this guy who tried to claim that the Hobbit was published after LotR... but it turned out he was just trolling me. I can get worked up pretty easily about these things.

But at least he agreed that the eagles would be totally impractical, as they totally defeat the point of a secret mission.
dwellerofthewest
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 23, 2012 02:43
My friend (who has wacthed enough LotR to not stare at me with a blank expression when I talk about it) asked me one day
I said something about Boromir she asked " wait is that the blond guy who is not an elf"
I said " ummmmmm no but close enough" It got me thinking. Are there really no blond males that are not elves?
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 17, 2012 09:07
Tolkiensgirl_ithilwen's post reminded me of a joke a friend told me. I guess it was a video or something. At the Cousil of Elrond, Elrond says, " You have only one choice! The Ring must be destroyed," Gandalf says, " I have an idea!" Thne it shows the Fellowship riding the eagles into Mordor. An eagle flys over Mount Doom and Frodo drops the Ring in. Then they turn around and Mount Doom explodes and the Barad Dur falls to the ground and all the stuff it does in ROTK. Thne Frodo says, " That was easy!" Legolas says, " Yeah, imagine if we had to walk there!" Then Boromir says, " Yeah that would have been awful! And what if one of us had got killed!" I thought that was kind of funny. But anyway, i can't think of any questions right now, but i promise if i get a stupid question, i will post it!
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2012 07:56
That was "How LOTR should have ended." You can find it on youtube. It was pretty funny lol!
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 19, 2012 07:48
Yeah, that's what it was called! Thank you for the reminder. I couldn't place it. But, i really do want to see it.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 27, 2012 03:51
Ok so i just remembered something stupid someone asked me. It seemed stupid to me at the time, but i don't know if you guys will think it is. Anyway, here it goes!
When a friends was over and her brother saw that i had some Legos in my room ( my brother and i had built the Lego Lord of the Rings sets together. I know it is kind of weird that a girl would like Lego's but i love them!) Anyway, we walks into my room and says, " I see a theme going on here! You really like Harry Potter!" I was thinking " Really!?" Some people have asked me if i think Lord of the Ring s is basically like Harry Potter. I don't think it is anything like it. Any body else think it is?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2012 04:36
Watching ROTK with my younger sister I get the who's this? Question a lot. Then I got asked is Faramir and Eowyn brother and sister? Along with a few more other random questions that I almost went off into a lecture about what's going on to her.

And then her friend stopped by an asked if we were watching the Chronicles of Narnia.... /facepalm
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email