Post Re: Stupid LotR questions you
on: November 29, 2012 06:50
That's funny!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 29, 2012 10:27
What makes it worse was that it was near the coronation scene, and I had to bite my tongue to keep from explaining the differences between the two series. ^.^
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2012 08:06
The diffrences between the ROTK coronation and the coronation in the Chronicles of Narnia?
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2012 11:18
Quote from Legolas23 on December 1, 2012, 06:06
The diffrences between the ROTK coronation and the coronation in the Chronicles of Narnia?

No, just in general. While I do like Chronicles of Narnia, I don't like it when people mistake one for the other. To me it seems like the way the worlds are portrayed are completely different. Not to mention the fact that there's no Fauns, Centaurs or other creatures of the like in the Coronation Scene in ROTK.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2012 11:32
Centaurs are awesome!
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2012 04:47
^.^ Watching the trilogy with my sister is enjoyable. She keeps on asking questions about things that don't make sense to her. Like who's that are they related? Did she save him? Is he a bad guy? Is that the forest with the Talking Trees? ^.^ I'm just surprised that she hasn't told me to shut up yet because she doesn't need to know all of the information that I'm telling her. Even after I started explaining how Aragorn and Arwen are distantly related.
Taug anin ú-daug.
saerwen_tariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2012 04:00
Trying to explain to a friend what elvish is and I tell her about how my sister was looking through my elvish dictionary and saw the word Grond and became obsessed with it, so my friend says 'what's hello in Grond?' My other lotr obsessed friend and I looked at each other and sighed. Later this same friend says that j.k. Rowling is a guy and wrote lord of the rings. I never can work out if she's teasing me or serious.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 09, 2012 08:39
That's funny! My dad would like that!
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
My friend once asked why there are different races in elves(Ex: Noldor, Sindar, Teleri, etc). I told her to read Sillimarion to find out. xD
Nerdy_Turtle
Council Member
Send Message
One of my friends asked what Frodo's last name was... then followed that with what Bilbo's last name was..

My response: Who... do you think I am.. *facepalm*
Her: But what are their last names?!
Me: Lordie, it's BAGGINS. *turns and walks away*
-Nerdzoo-
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yikes...
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
My parents come up with some funny ones because although they've seen all the movies recently with my absolute LOTR craze, they read the books like 40 years ago. They claim that they were as obsessed as I am when they were little, but I don't think anyone could be. I can't seem to remember exactly what they said, though.
Image Image
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
One question that wasn't exactly stupid but very annoying: One of my friends asked, "Let me get this straight: You like The Hobbit, but you don't like The Lord of the Rings??" :nono: It's just easier to say!

[Edited on 01/04/2014 by AnariaLaurelin]
Image Image
krsnmnth
Council Member
Send Message
So this isn't exactly a question, but it's still a stupid LOTR moment.
I go to a small school, where not many people have actually seen Lord of the Rings. Me and my friend were curious, and decided to quiz random people.
We started with this one girl, a question I thought was pretty basic.

Me: Do you know who Frodo is?
Her: Is he that ugly green dude off of Star Wars?

I thought she was talking about Jabba, but nope. It was Yoda...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
No way! That is too funny!
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Okay I met someone the other day. Trying to strike up conversation I asked her, "have you watched the Lord of the Rings movies?" she said "Oh yes I love them" the conversation moved on we started talking about books and I said, "My favorite author is Tolkien" she said, "Who is Tolkien what books did he write?"
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
@Cenor, lol!
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Cenor said:Okay I met someone the other day. Trying to strike up conversation I asked her, "have you watched the Lord of the Rings movies?" she said "Oh yes I love them" the conversation moved on we started talking about books and I said, "My favorite author is Tolkien" she said, "Who is Tolkien what books did he write?"

Ahhhh! NOOO!
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
I was just watching Return of the King with my friend the other day. She decided to see it because of the way I'd been raving about it, but she fell asleep halfway through. When she woke up, it was the Shelob scene, at the part where Sam unwraps Frodo from the spider threads. My friend asked [referring to Frodo], "Wait. So is that the bad guy? He looks like a bad guy." I just looked at her.
Image Image
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
I played Hobbit Scrabble with my mom last night--same rules as regular Scrabble, but you get extra points for Middle-earth words. Neither of us had been able to make any Middle-earth words, when she grins at me proudly and says, "I think you'll like this." She spelled out: R-O-N-A-N. "Isn't that the name of those horse people?" Sorry, I think you mean Rohan? Another one was when she said, "So, the wizards were Sauron, Saruman--" nono. But I ended the game with a 96-point 'BILBO' so it was okay in the end.
Image Image
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
Oh dear. Moms. You love them to death, and they really do try, but sometimes it just doesn't work out.
ImageImage
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Here is a stupid question my friend asked me the other night. "Would you like to watch Return of the King?"
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Not a question per se, but a statement that made me laugh. I was talking about LOTR with a friend, and the following exchange occurred (paraphrased):

Them: It seems like the first few Ages of Middle-earth were a lot more peaceful than the Third Age.
Me: ... *launches into summary of the whole Silmarillion* Yeah. Basically, "no."
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"What is Lord of the Rings. Wait is it that Veggie Tales movie?"
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Slightly related: My mom gave me a shirt with the words "Mom, Dad, I'm Gaelic" written on it, because of my family's Scottish heritage. One day a friend asked me "What's Gaelic? Is that from Lord of the Rings?"
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Hey Cenor, there is a Lord of the Veggies out there.

Got asked if I was getting the extended of Desolation of Smaug. Duh.

My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I thought it was Lord of the Beans.

This is in no way stupid just funny. I received a real Evenstar pendant from my brother and sister. I realized that my younger sister (who knows nothing about LOTR except that some creepy guy says "My Precious" and "Thieves! Thieves! We hates them!". Oh and that there is a talking tree that she doesn't like.) wouldn't know what my present was. So here is the conversation.

Me. Amanda do you know what this is?

Her: Nooooo...

Me: *launches into story about the Evenstar* Arwen gave it to Aragorn.

Her: *Blank look*

Me They liked like each other and she gave him her necklace.

Her: Oh so the lady gave it to her guy and he gave it to Jarod and Cathleen and they gave it to you.

I thought it was sweet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Stupid LotR questions you've been asked

Stupid question: "How did the elves get past Isengard to march into Helms Deep?"
My answer: "Read the books."
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
More of a statement than a question:

Friend's Mom: "No you cannot get that ring (the One Ring) its to much like a wedding ring.
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
I turned one of my homework assignments in to my mom a few days ago (she home schools me). The assignment was to write a story (with specific guidelines and all that, but I won't bore you...), so I had decided to have some fun and write a humorous LOTR fanfiction.
Here are a few of the questions my mom asked after reading it:

"So, 'thank Valar' is a minced oath?" (Uh...)
"What is Valar anyways? Why are they thanking it?" (Go read Silmarillion?)
"Did you make up these characters?" (Glorfindel, Erestor, Elrond, and Gildor, to name a few.)
"What is a balrog?" (No comment.)
"Why would they enjoy chopping orcs' heads off?" (I didn't feel like explaining, so I just told her 'they' had a bad worldview.)
"So, saying 'for Valinor's sake' is the equivalent of 'for Christ's sake'?" (More like, for heaven's sake...)

And a statement:
"They don't act very much like elves..." (I think she was thinking of the little creatures who run around in the flowers and play pranks on people.)

Thanks, Mom.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
OneSize, you have made me laugh. Thank You!
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
You're welcome! It made me laugh too...
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Jedi Knight Elrohir Sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
Me and my bestie are total die-hard LoTR fans, (we've both read the books, including the Hobbit), but for the life of her, as I was talking about Mirkwood elves, she just couldn't remember.
Her: Wait, who's Thranduil again?
Me: One does not simply forget who Thranduil is.
"A time may come soon, when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised." --Aragorn, Return of the King, pg. 767
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
Funny Ro!
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
She forgot Thranduil? Lucky...
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email