Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1415161718
Author Topic:
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, I have tons of these.

One of the things I own are leggings with Middle Earth map print: "How come there is no Italy on this world map?"

"So do you pray to these Valar?"

"So if you get married you cant wear a ring because it (the Ring) is evil?"

"If Tolkien was English, why did he speak Scandinavian languages?"

"Why would you read books if it's all in the movies?" (its more of a general question I guess)

"Why would a man wear a necklace?" (referring to Aragorn's Evenstar pendant - he wants to be fabulous of course)

There most be so many more, I just cant remember them right now
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
"Wait, so how comes Elfs (misspelling on purpose) speak two languages?"
Yeah, because no one on Earth speaks two languages. That would be unrealistic wouldn't it?

"Which ones are the baddies?"
Seriously?
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Why does Eowyn kill the Witch King if he can't be killed by any man?"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Mirkwood Archer
Council Member
Send Message
While watching the Fellowship refering to one of the black riders, is that Aragon?
tom bombadillo
Council Member
Send Message
it is confusing that morgoth doesn't kill melkor
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
"Aren't Bilbo and Frodo the same person?"
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
"So Eragon-"
"Aragorn"
"Yeah, is he the elf guy?"
"No"
"The dwarf guy?"
"No"
"The human guy...?"
"Yes"
"Aaah cool. It took three arrows to kill him, he must be tough."
*Facepalm*
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
ItarildeSirfalas
Council Member
Send Message
"Is Boromir a Borrower, then?"
"So if Gollum's a hobbit, why doesn't he recognise Frodo and Sam?"
"How come they all speak English?"
"Why is it called Lord of the Rings when there's only one?"
Image Image
"Yet such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." ~ Elrond ♥
Kiresa
Council Member
Send Message
ItarildeSirfalas said:"Is Boromir a Borrower, then?"
"So if Gollum's a hobbit, why doesn't he recognise Frodo and Sam?"
"How come they all speak English?"
"Why is it called Lord of the Rings when there's only one?"

I KNOW RIGHT? Especially the last one... Come ON, people! 7 to the Dwarf Lords, etc?

One of the ones I hate is when people mix up Eragon and Aragorn...
Or when people think Strider and Aragorn are two different people.

"Why don't the Elves just speak English all the time?"
They're ELVES, people!!
I'm learning Elvish (Can't decide between Sindarin and Quenya). I still suck at it. This language is HARD... The first thing I memorized how to say in Quenya was "Go kiss an orc."
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
I'm learning Sindarin, and when my mom and I were watching the movies for the latest time, when the orcs are talking in Black Speech, she asks, "So can you understand them?" *Facepalm* "Wait, I thought you spoke Elvish!" Wow, mom, just wow.
Image Image
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
- Orcs...those are the grey guys that ride those big dog-things, right?
- Soo, are there any actual people or just Elves and stuff in LotR?
- Man, I hate it when half the movie is just funny-talk with subtitles. Why don't they just use English?

*facepalm*
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
Or one time, I was at school and had the top half of my hair tied back in a fishtail braid, kinda Legolas-style but without the side braids. So, my arch-nemesis walks up to me and says...wait for it..."Who are you, Gandalf?"
She seemed serious, I laughed so hard I couldn't breathe and almost took a spill down the stairs.
Nethwen Took
Council Member
Send Message
[b][/b]Everyone's favorite...
Why didn't they just take the Eagles to the volcano thing?

Also:
Who's Bilbo?

Doesn't The Return of the King mean Frodo's coming back?

So you can speak Elvish fluently since you read the book right?

-Nethwen Took of Rohan
Durin-The-Deathless
Council Member
Send Message
someone made me mad earlier and i screamed if you say one more stupid thing i swear to the valar! and they responded with, i didnt know you were hindu. so i then had to explain the valar to an ignorant mortal
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I have practically no one I know who has more than the foggiest notion about JRRT, that movies (and perhaps books) called LoTR exist is about it. So I'm kinda waiting for someone here on CoE to report on a comment by someone else about the Ainur (singular is Ainu, I believe?), and why JRRT used the name of the pre-Japanese Aborigines of the now Japanese islands, now practically limited the northern island of Hokkaido (think Sapporo and 1972 Wanter Olympics): the Ainu; odd coincidence, that.

[Edited on 10/07/2015 by Gandolorin]
Ireth_Telrunya
Council Member
Send Message
Not directly LOTR related, but still funny. I own a t-shirt that says "Mom, Dad, I'm Gaelic" (since I have Scottish ancestry on my mom's side and she thought the shirt was funny). One of my dorm-mates in college saw it once and asked me, "What's Gaelic? Is that from Lord of the Rings?"
Far over the Misty Mountains cold, to dungeons deep and caverns old. We must away ere break of day, to claim our long forgotten gold.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
"Wait. So Elbereth is a Black Rider?"

Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Durin-The-Deathless
Council Member
Send Message
*rolls ankle while running* "gah! *muttering and shouting in sindarin*" random person-"hey! dont be speakin that russian crap, this is america!"
Eryniell
Council Member
Send Message
"Is Gandalf Bilbo's father or grandfather?"
"Why did the eagles drop them off on that big rock, they could have flown over to the Lonely Mountain and have gotten there in ten minutes?!" (After watching Unexpected Journey)
Nessadance
Council Member
Send Message
"How does Arwen give Aragorn a star?"
"So the man with the pale face lives in the caves?" (referring to Elrond)
"Aragorn lives in Bree?"
"His spouse is Nessa, the sister of Orome, and she also is lithe and fleetfooted. Deer she loves, and they follow her train whenever she goes in the wild; but she can outrun them, swift as an arrow with the wind in her hair. In dancing she delights, and she dances in Valimar on lawns of never-fading green."
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Hardly anybody I talk to besides the people working in bookstores seem to know anything about JRRT, so I have no real-life anecdotes. But I can very well imagine some from our snooty arrogance set here in Germany coming up with the following:

“Oh, is that the existentialist rendering of Wagner’s “The Ring of the Nibelungs” by that strange director that I’ve heard about?” (Rumblings from far-off Wolvercote Cemetery are registered by earthquake monitoring facilities world-wide )
Nessadance
Council Member
Send Message
"How in the world did Agent Smith get into this movie??"

(btw, I love the Matrix too..not as much as LotR though. No way.. <3)
"His spouse is Nessa, the sister of Orome, and she also is lithe and fleetfooted. Deer she loves, and they follow her train whenever she goes in the wild; but she can outrun them, swift as an arrow with the wind in her hair. In dancing she delights, and she dances in Valimar on lawns of never-fading green."
fool_of_a_took_12
Council Member
Send Message
"Wait a moment, stop the movie!"

"What is it?"

"Why are those big walking tree things..."

"Ents?"

"Yeah, them. Why are they attacking Sauron? I thought Frodo defeated him." (referring to Saruman)

*facepalm*
Lembas! One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man!
<< First1415161718
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email