Register

Author Topic:
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Computer graphics - programs, problems, discussion
on: September 05, 2005 05:28
Hi guys,

I am not quite sure whether this is the correct place to start this but anyway here goes...

I was wondering what kind of programs all you layout designers and banner and avatar makers use. See I want to make banners and avatars but am unsure what programs are needed to accomplish this. The only thing I have at the moment I guess is the standard Paint package which is part of Windows XP. Would this be enough or would I need something more advanced to create banners? I was just wondering whether any of you know and could advise me on what to do! Thanks anyway.

Namarie,
~Arwen

[Edited on 21/6/2011 by ~nólemë~]
QueenOfTheDead
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Computer graphics - programs, problems, discussion
on: September 05, 2005 06:01
Hey,

I use Adobe Photoshop. It is a great program, and makes awesome banners. I'd suggest it, but it costs a lot of money.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 06:03
I use adobe photoshop elements- it was $75 when I purchased it. It has a lot of neat stuff one it, and I would certainly suggest it.

You can use paint to make avatars and things, but they don't come out as good and it takes longer.
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 02:33
Jasc Paint Shop Pro 8 and Jasc Animation Shop 3! Adobe Photoshop is very, VERY, good, as I'm told, but the complete package is somewhere around $600 I think. Paint Shop Pro and Animation Shop come together, last I checked, and it was somewhere around $80 for me. If you end up getting that, feel free to PM me w/ any questions on how to use it!
Griffin
Collector of all that is Shiny
Send Message
on: September 05, 2005 03:08
I was lucky enough to have an Uncle who likes to have 'new' computers. He just gave me his old Mac with Adobe PhotoShop 7 already loaded. So that's what I use.
Very good program.
songbird13
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2005 08:57
I have paint, and its okay for making avs and thing. Another great program you can download is Microsoft GIF animator. Just search for it on Google. Bonus: Its completely free! I'm sure there are other good free programs out there, you just have to look really hard
~Songbird
Sidhien
Whisper of Dimholt Firs
Send Message
on: September 06, 2005 11:02
Another free is 'the Gimp'. No, you don't need Linux! Go download the Windows version and all of it's components (4 or 5) at www.gimp.org. (Install the gtk package first) It has an add-in for animated gifs as well. And it is all free to use (GNU licenced)

[Edited on 7/9/2005 by Sidhien]
MerenwenLossehelin
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 23, 2005 03:02
I use Adobe Photoshop 7.0, and it's brilliant. It costs quite a bit though. I *think* it also includes adobe Image Ready, which I use for blinkies/animations.
ABagginsOfTheShire
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 25, 2005 03:11
Paint is fine if you want a generally simple avatar, no animations or anything.

If you want simple touch ups to be done on the pic, like changing the colours in it, etc, and if you have Windows XP, then MS Picture Manager can do the job for you.
~figwit~
Daydreamer of Ekkaia
Send Message
on: September 26, 2005 03:12
I'm using Picture It! Photo 2001. It's really good!
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 07:30
Thanks fo all the responses. I was just wondering! Does anyone have an example of an avatar made in paint? I don't particularly want to have animations and stuff but I was just wondering if you could produce banners in Paint. I guess it wouldn't be very good as using say Photoshop but at the moment this is my dad's pc and he doesn't like me buying extra packages in case they don't work or whatever. Plus it is his computer so....

Namarie,
~Arwen
Alarien
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 29, 2005 07:34
You're pretty restricted in Paint; it doesn't do much. I don't have any avatar examples for you, but you could probably crop the image you want as an avatar, and I think that's as far as you can go. Perhaps some pretty square-ish stuff, but you can't make any part of the image transparent (I think).

Hmm....for your dad, well, usually the packages work. And they work very well. That's been the case with me at least...And do you have your own computer? That would cancel out the it's-his-comp problem.
SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 05:31
I have paint, and its okay for making avs and thing. Another great program you can download is Microsoft GIF animator. Just search for it on Google. Bonus: Its completely free! I'm sure there are other good free programs out there, you just have to look really hard
~Songbird

I did search on Google, but I couldn't find a site that has MS GIF Animator for XP. Help?
Sidhien
Whisper of Dimholt Firs
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 06:13
Microsoft GIF Animator --FREE licence--

Homepage: Not Available
Screen Shot: Is Available
Category: Graphics Tools: Editors, Generators
Our Rating: 4.5/5
Description: Microsoft GIF Animator is the fast and easy way to create and customize
animations for your web site. Includes a number of very easy to use yet powerful
features.
Download Now: [1.1Mb]

over here:
http://www.freewareweb.com/cgi-bin/archive.cgi?ID=288
SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 04:58
Thanx Sidhien
Sidhien
Whisper of Dimholt Firs
Send Message
on: September 30, 2005 11:18
You are welcome, Seenz
arwen_the_evenstar
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 01, 2006 09:45
*attempts to revive thread*

So then... I have now successfully installed GIMP but I was wondering if any of you actually use it for making banners or avatars? And if so do you have any tips on how to make an avatar or banner or do you know of any helpful websites on this matter?

Happy New Year Everyone!

Namarie,
~Arwen
Sidhien
Whisper of Dimholt Firs
Send Message
on: January 06, 2006 07:41
I've used the gimp, arwen, but still don't know any website of 'how to's for gimp (this doesn't mean there isn't...)
Well, the best tip I guess is to use your imagination and have fun! :love:
Now, if you have any specific problem with it, I'll be glad to help (if I can that is)
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 05:47
I know this is an older thread but I was just wondering if you can you use these same programs (Photoshop, Paintshop Pro etc) to make e-cards, wallpapers, stationary etc. or if that stuff is completely different. I don't know anything about this kind of stuff :blush: but would love to learn if anyone has any suggestions.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: May 21, 2006 04:38
Both Photoshop and PSP are very powerful graphic programs, so I don't see why you can't use them to make the multimedia graphics. There's really not much that you can't do with these programs, unless it is the lack of ability.

As for learning to make. Know the size requirements, look at some examples (but don't copy!), and try to learn. This kind of thing is more about learning yourself.

Here's a great starting point though, Ringhilwen's Tips For Making eCards.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email