Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Reunion (Very scripted) [COMPLETED THREAD ~ PLEASE KEEP.]
on: August 25, 2006 09:24
(OOC: *raises a glass to her fellow writers.* Such good times. Thank you :love: )

A Journey South

Gabby looked down at the necklace, and then looked around and up at his companions. "Somehow I do not think this necklace is going to lead us to the Lady Éowyn as the last one did! I'm sure it will help us find someone, but who, or better, what?" Gabby stated drolly.

Rían looked at the necklace with foreboding in his heart. He glanced around the group, holding Belle’s eye the longest. “This will be no mean feat, defeating this … this thing of evil. Am I to understand that we are undertaking this with just a ring and a necklace? Are we to be given no other guidance as to how we may defeat our foe? How will these tokens help us in our quest?”

Belle let the silence stretch out a space, and looked at the Elf levelly. “I cannot tell you that we will be successful in this quest, Rían. Nor will I state our chances are good. They are not. Of what use these tokens, as you call them, are is not known to me. But they have power in them beyond anything we can bring to bear.” She held up her left hand. Radagast’s ring shone briefly, then vanished again. “This, at least, has the power of Yavanna in it. It may help us prevail when all other recourse is gone. As for the necklace,” -- and as she gestured toward it, it rang anew - “it may hold no power to aid at all. But I do not believe it to be the case.”

She looked around the room, a momentary softness in her expression as she studied her companions faces. Here was faith unbounded, eagerness to do right and innocent strength. Belle continued.

“No one will blame any of you for turning away from this peril. If I told you that I felt no fear, you would know that for the lie that it is. But we have more power now than when we came. Whether it is enough is for you to decide.”

Rían returned the Istar’s gaze unblinkingly. “It was not my intent to leave this company nor to denigrate the power of the gifts we now have in our possession. Forgive me if this was what you thought. I am just trying to get some hold on how we may defeat this great evil. To walk into his lair without thought as to how to vanquish him is folly. And none of us here, “ Rían’s arm swept the room encompassing all those within, “are foolish—nor without great heart. Again I will ask though, how do we find out how this ring and necklace will help, if help they may be to us? And the monster, does anyone have an idea as how to deal with him?”

Káin eyed the necklace and the ring. Somewhere in the back of his mind he had a hazy recollection that his father had told him about such a necklace, or was it two? Something about Blue Wizards too. He moved closer to gain a better view of the articles, the reflection of the flash from the ring lighting his eyes.

Káin stepped back and thought about what he and the others had overheard Celeborn and Belle discussing. …. Mountains near the Sea of Rhûn … apparently that was where his father had been found.

Káin narrowed his eyes. He was uncomfortable with such things of power and he thought his father had had more sense also. His father!! Borlin!! Káin furrowed his brow as he wondered just what had caused his father’s injuries. Had he and his companion Dwarves found more than they had bargained for? Had they actually been face to face with the Carakgor and escaped?

Káin’s shook his head in an effort to dispel such thoughts, his head hurting. He felt bile rise in his throat. He now knew that he and his friends were traveling into far more danger that they realised.

The Dwarf’s eyes flicked agitatedly towards Belle. He mentally urged her to move them on. If face the Carakgor they must, then face it they would, together. No use dilly dallying.

He cleared his throat. “Well, all this talk of power and rings and necklaces has made me think that we should perhaps be leaving. Tell me Lord Celeborn, are Elladan and Elrohir aware of all that we now know?”

“Yes, they are. I told them everything. You are going to follow them until you reach Lothlórien. I think that this journey is not to be left alone to anyone. Maybe you are the group that could undertake this for me? What say you all?” Celeborn was looking at the group before him. Maybe they could find out more answers than anyone can, he thought to himself.

"Melgir and Janell," Celeborn said, turning to the He-Elf and his daughter, "I wish for you both to find a weakness in the Carakgor. If there indeed be one" The last part of his sentence he uttered quietly and more to himself that the gathered company. "I know that you knew of this creature a long time ago, Melgir." Celeborn laid a hand on Melgir's shoulder. "We need to know about that weakness, mellon nîn," he said, an urgency in his voice.

There was a quietness in the room that hung like heavy mist. It was broken by Belle's voice. "Aragorn is waiting, and I must go where he is," the Istar said, simply.

Káin smiled warmly behind his moustaches at Belle’s words. He stepped forward and stood by her. “We will not desert Elessar. If he needs us then I and my axe are his and it is done!” He tilted his chin defiantly up, and rested his axe haft on the floor.

"I don't know what we are in for," Gabby stated, "but if I have all of you with me I am sure we can come up to any challenge ….I hope," he added quietly to himself.

They decided on one more night in Rivendell to prepare for the long journey before them, which would be through some arduous terrain. All slept well, the first time for a long time, perhaps of Celeborn’s doing, or Belle's.

They awoke the next morning, refreshed and, collecting their belongings, ponies and horses, the companions finally gathered at the gates of Imladris to say farewell to Lord Celeborn. He had provided two pack ponies with provisions, including lembas, to last the journey and had given last moment instructions to Elladan and Elrohir.

The thought of lembas had caused Káin to wrinkle his nose and spit, receiving a hefty nudge from Belle to mind his manners. Belle, in return, received a reproachful stare. The Istar grinned.

Several warm embraces later, the group of ten, moving slowly at first, headed along the narrow paths through the valley then up and out onto the moors. It was a fair day and there was a gentle but slightly chilly breeze that made the travelers draw their cloaks around them when cloud passed across the sun.

"We head for the Ford of Bruinen," Elladan said, turning in his saddle, "once there, we will turn south and find somewhere to camp."

Eleven days into their journey, and after meeting hilly and low mountain spurs, swampy areas and rolling lands, the companions eyes rested on the Mountains of Moria in the distance. Not this time would the mines be traversed, as when the Fellowship had braved those Dwarven halls and the Balrog.

This time and in fairer weather, the companions would travel over the Redhorn Pass.

On the last night of camping before they were to journey into the Pass, and seated around the fire enjoying a delicious meal cooked by Gabby, the friends relaxed and chatted. The Elves in the group began to sing and the three Hobbits sat entranced, listening to the silvery sound that rose towards the myriad of stars that speckled a midnight blue sky.

Káin sat with Belle and Janell. The three friends enjoying a pipe each of particularly good pipeweed that Celeborn had kindly thought to provide. They vied in fun with each other as to who could blow the more intricate smoke rings….. Belle won and leaned back perhaps a little smugly.

"So, Janell," the Istar said, "has Melgir thought more on the weakness that Carakgor might or might not have, or indeed yourself?" Janell leaned forward and studied the fire.

She turned her head toward Belle and Káin. "Father says there is something he recalls, but is still pondering upon it. We have time yet. Mayhap when we reach Lothlórien, he and I will have more information."

"Tis to be hoped that there is a weakness, but for the moment, we have the Redhorn Pass to think about on the morrow," rejoined Káin. Each nodded. Redhorn Pass was always to be treated with respect.

They passed through the Hithaeglir, also known as the Misty Mountains, without event. The mighty peaks of Caradhras, Celebdil and Fanuidhol rising above them like sentinels.

There was no snow to hinder these travelers, unlike the Fellowship. No Sauron now to make mischief and bring down avalanches.

Travel weary the companions reached the other side of the mountains and it was decided that they would pass Mirrormere. Káin was silent as he stood and stared down at the lake, the smooth silver water glinting in the sunlight. He was pleased that they had made the stop and had wanted to show his friends the sight, as Gimli had with his friends. There was no finer view in all Middle-earth, to the Dwarf's mind.

Some three weeks had passed since taking their leave of Rivendell, and their journey was almost over. Their provisions were depleted, although Gabby had managed on more that one occasion to snare a brace or two of coney and grub up some wild tubers. They paused at the spring of the Silverlode for the night, then journeyed on the following day and entered the woods of Lothlórien.

Elrohir stood up in his stirrups and pointed. "We cross the Nimrodel, go west upstream and there we should encounter our Elven brethren.

The Hobbits chattered between themselves. More Elves and they wondered, nay hoped, that they would be able to sleep on flets in the trees.

Rían breathed deeply as he entered the woods. So familiar smells filled his nostrils. Here was calm and peace under the golden leaves of Lorien. Here had been the home of Galadriel, the Lady of the Golden Wood. He turned in his saddle and smiled at his companions. "Welcome, my dearest friends, to Lothlórien." The Elf swept his arm in a graceful gesture encompassing the golden woods before them.

"But are we to be blindfolded??" asked Tanzy querulously. "I do not like being blindfolded."

Elrohir reined in beside the little she-Hobbit. "Avo ‘osto nad, pen dithen. When we have crossed the Silverlode, it will be the decision of our Elven brethren as to whether that will happen," the he-Elf said, smiling down at Tanzy. "But do not worry. I will take care of you myself, if it be the case."

Tanzy's heart thumped and she blushed at the fact that an Elf should care about how she felt.

"There are the ropes by which we cross the Silverlode," called Elladan, pointing. "It will not be long now and we will be atop Cerin Amroth and will see the Gates of Caras Galadan."

Mellon nîn ~ My friend. (Sindarin)
’Avo ‘osto nad, pen dithen’ ~ Do not be afraid, little one. (Sindarin)
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 05, 2006 05:14
Janell noticed the Silverlode and looked upon it with memories. It was so long ago that she stopped here on her way to find her father. She looked at him. He was not looking too well.

“I think that we should stop for the night,” Janell said to Elladan. “This way we can be rested when we meet up with the elves.”

“I agree,” said Melgir. “I need to rest. I did not get much sleep last night. I can not stop thinking about what Lord Celeborn said about the necklace.”

The rest of the company agreed and they made camp beside the river. Gabby set out to make a meal before they all decided to retire for the evening.

“I’ll take first watch and my brother can take up the second,” exclaimed Elrohir. His brother agreed.

After a bite to eat, Melgir and Janell took up their bedrolls and went in search of a place to sleep. Janell noticed her father not looking very good. It looked like he had aged. In the time she had known her father, he never looked older than what he did. Somehow, he was getting dark shadows under his eyes.

Janell leaned up against a tree and watched the rest of the company get ready for the night. The fire was loaded up with logs to keep the night away. She noticed that her father lay down on his roll and closed his eyes. Janell stayed awake to make sure that he got some sleep.

Melgir turned on his side away from Janell and closed his eyes. They were getting heavy. Nevertheless, his thoughts were on Carakgor. Somehow, in his mind he could see what this monster was. It scared him. He had to find out something about the creature. Then it came. He fought it but had no choice.

In his dream, Melgir was standing before Carakgor. He was in a cave in a mountain. He was a hideous life form. He had muscular legs and arms; there were horns that came down the side of his face to protect it; talons on his fingers and toes and he had wings. However, there was something about the wings. Then he noticed it! They were clear. You could see right through them! Carakgor opened his mouth. He let out a scream that would hurt your ears. In his mouth, he noticed fangs.

Janell noticed that Melgir turned on his other side. His eyes were partially open. What was going on with her father? She thought. His legs and arms were moving about. His blanket became rumpled. She thought that she would keep an eye on him through the night. He was just having a troubled sleep again. She noticed it through the journey from Lothlórien.

Melgir did not understand. What was so special about these wings? Carakgor showed him. They were not for flying: they were for producing wind. This was scaring the inner being of Melgir. Nothing in Middle Earth had ever terrified him until seeing Carakgor.

Then he had seen it. It was something so small you would not have noticed it! Tied to a stone was a piece of rope. With his Elven eyes, he looked closer. He noticed that the rope was special. It was grey in color and had a kind of sheen to it. Then Melgir remembered. It was made of hithlain, real elvish rope. Melgir observed that when Carakgor stepped on it, it hurt him. This must be his weakness. Melgir had found it!

Janell did not sleep at all that night. She was worried about her father. His nights had become restless for him. This was not like him to get no sleep. If they were going to do something about Carakgor, Melgir would need all the rest he could get. These nightmares were not doing him any good. She turned and noticed that Melgir was thrashing in his sleep. She went to him to wake him up.

Before she got there, Melgir had sat up quickly. He had fear in his eyes. Melgir noticed that Janell was beside him and he tried to slow his breathing.

“Father, are you alright?” she asked.

He did not know where he was. He looked into Janell’s eyes he said, “No, yes. I think I am fine. Nevertheless, I got the answer we were looking for. I need to tell the others. First I need to put cool water on my face before I face them.” With that, Melgir took off to the stream to wake himself up. He returned to the others to tell them of his dream.

Council Member
Send Message
on: September 10, 2006 09:53
(OOC: Thank you, Sue and Rose, for an enjoyable joint RP!)

An Oath and Another Mystery

The group camped one more night by the river, then continued their journey, crossing the Silverlode safely. On the other bank, there was a rustling of leaves and like ghosts, three Elves appeared.

Tanzy held her breath, but was relieved that there was to be no blindfold. An unnecessary practice now.

They were led along narrow pathways, eventually coming out into a clearing. Caras Galadan was before them, still beautiful, in the morning sunlight, if a little less grand.

“Sad, is it not?” sighed Káin, turning to his friends.

Climbing the filigree of stairways, they were shown into a large room with benches around the walls. Two Elves were instructed to go and bring food and beverages. Some time later, returning bearing platters of delicacies, the travelers were served and their hosts told them that accommodation would be prepared.

Biting into a soft roll laden with roast meat, Káin cleared his mouth and ventured to speak to an Elf standing by the doorway. “I believe my father is here,” Káin said quietly.

“Yes, Master Dwarf,” the Elf answered. “But not here. He and his companions are being cared for in another part of the Woods. We will take you to them when you are ready. In the meanwhile, make yourselves comfortable. Feel free to roam wherever you wish.”

Káin turned to Rían. “You have kin hereabouts, do you not?”

Rían looked down at Káin, a sad smile fleeting across his features. “Yes, my friend, I do come from Lothlorien, although it’s been many a year since I’ve rested here for any length of time. My family left for the Undying Lands just before I met with our group at Elfstan’s. There are none here now that I claim kinship with.”

The Elf that had been making them comfortable turned at this and spoke to Rían, “My Lord,” said the Elf, “are you of the House of Nénharma? I would swear that your face is familiar to me.”

Rían looked hard at the Elf serving them, recognition dawning on his fair features, “Fëanáro Felagund? Could that be you?” At a nod and a smile from the Elf, Rían heartily embraced his brethren. Turning to Káin and laughing, he exclaimed, “This is my cousin, Fëanáro. He is my mother’s kin. I had thought he had taken the ships to Valinor long ago, but I was mistaken!”

Káin bowed. “It is a pleasure to meet you, sir and a pleasure for my good friend, Rían, also”

There was a movement at Káin’s elbow and he moved to the side to allow Belle into the conversation.

“My name is Káin, and may I introduce Bellemaine, our dearest Is….”

Belle smiled benignly at the Elves as she prompted swatted Káin in the stomach. It wasn’t a blow hard enough to knock the wind out of him, but he decided to act as though it were.

“Healer!” Káin gasped, clutching his middle, and glaring at Belle with pretended annoyance. “Healer, I meant. Although there is little call for one here, I expect,” he added, straightening up.

The Green Istar, in the meantime, was trying her best not to show shock at the name she had just heard. This Fëanáro who stood before her could not possibly be that infamous Noldo prince who was responsible for so much bloodshed. On the other hand, what Elf parent would name his offspring thus? Rather than let it pass, she said, composedly, “That is an intriguing name of war, Sir Elf. How did you decide it for yourself?”

Rían stood still, taking stock. There were days when the Lady Bellemaine had absolutely no sense of humor, he thought. To break the silence which was growing longer and longer, Rían spoke. “Never fear, dear “Healer”, he said with an amused glint in his eyes. “Fëanáro is no kinslayer, nor kin to he that is. A name is just that -- a name.”

Fëanáro bowed low to Belle, “Yes, a name only,” was his only reply.

Wishing to end this conversation, Rían turned to his cousin, “Fëanáro, I thought you had taken the ships long ago—even before my parents. How is it that I find you still here?” asked Rían.

Not meeting Rían’s eyes, Fëanáro replied, “The time has not yet come for me to forsake these lands. I hold a promise that is yet to be fulfilled. When that oath is fulfilled, then shall I take the ship to Valinor with joy in my heart. Until then, I tarry here.” Fëanáro would say no more to Rían of this oath even though Rían’s eyes pressed him for more.

Belle studied Fëanáro narrowly, and at the word ‘oath’ she winced inwardly. Coincidence? No matter; she would likely learn nothing more at the moment. ‘A pity your oath does not involve slaying Carakgor,’ the Wizard thought. ‘Another ‘Spirit of Fire’ so oath-bound might be useful …’ Belle let the thought trail off. “I think I shall go outside for a while, and look around. By your leave ... ” With a bow Belle left them, her eyebrows up to her hairline and muttering to herself.

Recovering from the Belle’s nudge, Káin moved forward.

“If it be possible, good Elf,” he said to Fëanáro, “I would dearly like to see my father.”

Fëanáro smiled. “Of course. I shall leave you now to make arrangements. Will it just be you travelling?”

Káin looked around his companions, then nodded. “I think so. My friends would be glad of the rest, but I have need to reassure myself of my father’s health.”

“Then it will be so, Master Dwarf,” Fëanáro said inclining his head. “Meet me at mid-day at the lower staircase, and you will be accompanied to your father by two of my brother Elves.”
bellemaine
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 24, 2006 05:35
(OOC: Thank you, Fellow Travellers, for another excelent episode!)

Vital Information and a Sudden Departure

As Fëanáro moved towards the door to leave and arrange for Káin’s visit to his father, he felt a hand on his sleeve.

It was Melgir. “Fëanáro, can I talk to you for a moment, privately?”

“Yes you may. Let us go over here to be alone,” Fëanáro said.

They went over by a tree in a garden and talked softly.

“I am in need of some hithlain. We are on a mission for Lord Celeborn. I can not say anymore without jeopardizing the company I came with, or putting anyone in harm’s way.” Melgir looked over at Janell and she nodded. It was a look of reassurance from his daughter.

“Yes. I think I can find you some hithlain. I know who your company is, but I do not know about your mission. And I will give you a hand at anything you need.”

Melgir bowed to his Elven kindred and returned to the company.

Káin had sat and watched Fëanáro and Melgir leave together. He wondered whether the Lothlorien Elf had forgotten the arrangements he had made. He was sure that Fëanáro had not, and he decided to wait.

Some moments later, Melgir returned with Janell. Káin wondered what they had been talking about. Maybe to do with their mission, perhaps. He furrowed his brow. Perhaps now he would not have time to visit his father.

He hurried to find Fëanáro and give the Elf his apologies. Káin found him seated in an arbor. “Good day, Master Elf,” he said, sitting down. “I have decided that I will be unable to spare the time to see my father. I am sure he is in good hands and that I need not worry about his welfare. If I may, I would like to give you a letter to let my father know that I have been here and will be back.”

Fëanáro nodded. “Of course. I realized, after speaking with Melgir, that you are on a journey of much importance. I will, of course, provide you will all you will need for such an endeavor.”

“That is more than generous,” Káin said, hurriedly writing a letter to Borlin. He handed it to Fëanáro, who then handed it to the two Elves that were to have accompanied Káin to the place where Borlin was staying.

“Give him my love and tell him I will see him soon. Tell him also to take care and not go wandering off on some mission or other.” Káin put his head back and laughed as he thought about where he and his companions were going. Who was he to tell his father to be careful!

The Elves looked at each other and shrugged. Dwarves! Káin winked at the Elves. “Like father, like son!” he said grinning.

Fëanáro stood and bowed. “We will deliver your letter, rest assured.”

Káin thanked the Elves, bowed to Fëanáro and headed back to the main flet.

Gabby, Tanzy and Elfstan remained in the room where the company had eaten their repast. "This is a beautiful place still, don't you think?" Gabby asked the question generally and was answered by Elfstan.

"It is beautiful, but sad, somehow. I'd dearly love to have some time to look around and ask about medicines here. The Elves have a wealth of knowledge that could be tapped."

"I just think it's so peaceful here," Tanzy put in. Then, "I wonder when Káin and Melgir will be back."

As Káin bounded up the stairs, he almost ran into the back of Melgir, who as an Elf was far more graceful than he.

“Sorry, Melgir. I see you were talking with Fëanáro. Were you telling him about our journey?” he said, trying to glean something from the Elf’s expression, but gained nothing.

“I will tell all of you when we are all together,” Melgir said to Káin.

Káin held the door open and gestured for Melgir to enter, following him closely.

All eyes rested on them as they entered. “Well,” Káin said, rubbing his hands together “what are our plans, my friends; are we going to be leaving?”

He looked at the Hobbits’ faces. The look of disappointment was evident. Moving to Tanzy’s side, he put an arm around her. “I’m sure we will be back before you know it.”

Tanzy looked up at the Dwarf, "I am anxious to spend more time in Lothlorien before it completely fades this world, Master Dwarf." She let out a sigh at the thought of leaving this place that she had not properly gotten a look at.

“Have no fear, little Hobbit,” a melodious voice said behind Tanzy. “We shall be here a little time yet.”

Tanzy turned to look into large grey eyes, gentle and filled with a warmth that made her heart leap.

The voice belonged to an Elf who was seated on a bench. He smiled softly and took hold of her hand. “When you return from wherever it is you are going, I will make it my personal duty to take you around our home. And rest assured you will return!”

Káin swallowed hard. ‘Yes, we will return’ he thought to himself.

Clearing his throat, the Dwarf turned to Melgir and Janell. “If our business here is concluded, I really think that we should consider setting off on our journey. Aragorn and Éomer are waiting out there somewhere,” he said, sweeping his arms towards the window. “We cannot leave them alone for much longer.”

Melgir looked at Káin and said, “I think we should do just that. We need to make enquiries about provisions and be on our way. The sooner we get this job done, the sooner we can relax in this world.”

He paused and looked around the table. “I have something to tell you all. I did not have time when I awoke this morning. I have found a way to kill Carakgor. Fëanáro is going to give us some hithlain. I remembered that hithlain burns him. The way it did Gollum. We will work out a plan to use it. I have this feeling that Carakgor is guarding something. Sauron created him to protect a specific thing. This creature is the worst one I’ve heard about.”

Melgir looked at the faces at the table. Nothing was said.

Melgir looked at Janell with a smile and nodded. He got up and left.

The company were waiting by the River Anduin, later that day. There were 100 miles or more following the Great River before they turned, half way between the great forest of Mirkwood and the Emyn Muil, towards the Brown Lands and their destination near the mountains by the Sea of Rhûn. It had been decided not to travel on the river, although boats had been offered, but to journey along the banks. Pack ponies were provided, laden with provisions. With a last look at Caras Galadan, and a meaningful look at each other, the friends thanked their hosts and set off on their journey.

Council Member
Send Message
on: October 29, 2006 06:43
(OOC. Another wonderful session. Thank you ladies. :love: )

A Fright in the Dark

Some weeks later, having had an untroubled journey, the company now seasoned travellers, neared the foothills of the mountains that were close to the Sea of Rhûn.

The gathering darkness began to creep around them as they rode along, chatting and taking in the somewhat rough terrain, a mist billowed through the trees forming a grey veil that blurred the sunset of gold and pink as the sun sank behind the hills. Their mounts hooves clattered on scree, scattering the small stones, the sound echoing off the hillsides. They were deciding on a camp site as they had traveled long and hard that day.

“Do you think we are likely to meet us with King Éomer and King Elessar any time soon?” asked Káin, narrowing his eyes against the dimming light, wondering where in this scrubby, somewhat desolate place, the two Kings could be.

Approaching a narrow gap between to steep hills, Káin’s pony nodded its head agitatedly. The Dwarf leaned forward and stroked Murnin’s head. “Steady there! Do you sense something?”

The other mounts became restless, stamping their hooves and champing on their bits. The group of friends closed ranks around the Dwarf, looking unsettled. Nervous eyes looked around at the scrub, bushes and small forest areas. The sound of shouts and hooves filled the air.

“We are under attack!!” Káin roared, raising his axe, the rest of the group following suit, unsheathing swords and putting arrow to bowstring. Murnin reared, almost unseating the Dwarf, as horses appeared at the front of the group and behind.

“Hold, strangers!” a voice commanded. The group of friends steadied their mounts, the horses and ponies milling this way and that.

“Stay in your saddles and lower your weapons,” the voice continued. A well-built soldier astride a grey stallion, trotted out of the small company of Riders, followed by two Rohirrim. “Who are you and what are you doing in these parts?” he asked abruptly.

“Who are you, is more the question!!” answered Káin, his eyes ablaze.

“You will not take us easily,” three Hobbit voices echoed together.

Belle leaned forward on her horse and stayed Káin's eagerness for a fight. She looked around at her companions and gestured for them to put away their weapons, then she moved Gintel forward and was about to answer the soldier’s question when a familiar voice was heard. “Stay your weapons, men! I know these people.”

Aragorn appeared from a small copse and weaved his way through the riders and soldiers, reining his horse in before the small group.

He laughed and dismounted. “So you made it!!” he said, greeting each of the Hobbits, Belle, Ríanor, Melgir, Janell and Káin. “My apologies, my friends, but we would rather err on the side of caution than be surprised. There have been strange things heard lately in these parts, and it has made us wary.” The King of Gondor bowed low. “We have a camp site further into the mountains,” he continued. “Come, we will repair there and from the look of you, I think something stronger than tea may be needed to calm your nerves.”

Re-mounting, Aragorn raised his arm. “Follow us.”

A little while later, the groups of riders arrived at the campsite of the King, Gabby tethered Charger to a nearby tree and went immediately to help get refreshment for his friends. He approached the tall men of the King's Company and in his best Hobbit voice inquired after ale and tea, and any biscuits or other fast food things they might have. During their travels Gabby and his friends had kept up a pretty steady pace and the Hobbit was fair starving for a place where they could at least have two breakfasts. He knew, too, that the others were just as eager to sample something that hadn't just been made from a pack taken off the back of a horse. It would be welcome to have some food at an established camp.

The men of the King's company were greatly amused by the eager Hobbit and helped him gather the goods for his friends. Soon all were seated around the fire and the question, "How was your journey?" was asked.

Elfstan’s stretched his arms over his head, and a pleasant popping sound came from the Hobbit’s travel-weary joints. “You don’t know how good it feels to sit among friends and share such a meal,” he said. “It’s hard on a Hobbit to be asked to subsist on such meager provender such as we had on the road. A real meal is just what we needed. Many thanks to you, my Lord Aragorn and Lord Éomer!” The others of the group laughed at the Hobbit’s love of food. So typical!

Elfstan’s cheeks coloured even more than they had been from the warmth of the camp fire. He grinned and spoke further. “Our journey, while not fraught with danger, did have its interesting moments, Sir. Right after we left The Pony, we met up with some Southrons who were bent on mischief, but we bested them, Sirs, yes we did!”

Káin had dismounted and tethered Murnin, removing the mare’s tack and placing a nosebag over her ears. He patted the pony’s neck and shouldered his axe, making his way to the fire. He looked around, noting that Melgir and Janell had not yet arrived. ‘Ever keeping a distance, those two,’ he thought to himself, ‘but always in thought of our safety,” he conceded. The Dwarf sat down, kicked at the edges of the fire and turned his attention to Aragorn.

A scowl crossed the Dwarf's brow. “You gave us a mighty scare, Aragorn, or do we call you Lord Aragorn?” he asked petulantly. “Soldiers, Rohirrim charging up on us like that. Harrummph!!”

“’Aragorn’ will be fine, my friend,” the King said, slapping the Dwarf on the back. “We are friends, after all, right back to Minas Tirith. How many years is that now?”

Káin glanced sideways at Aragorn, a quirk to the corner of his mouth. “A good few, Sire,” he rejoined, allowing the King the respect he was due.

Aragorn inclined his head. “It is indeed, and I am more than happy to see you all again. When you have eaten and slaked your thirst, we will talk more about where we will be journeying to.”

Aragorn’s head turned as a crackling of the dry underbrush caught the company’s attention. Janell and Melgir rode up to the fireside out of the darkness.

They dismounted and tethered their horses, then looked around at the men. They headed over to a trestle table laden with food. Janell picked at the food, however. She was not very hungry. She took a plate and selected a few morsels and sat down cross-legged on the ground a short distance away from the camp fire.

“You seem troubled,” Melgir asked as he joined his daughter. “What is on your mind, Janell?” he queried.

“I am unsure, father, but something is wrong. I have this ache in the pit of my stomach that has not diminished since we entered the Eastern Lands.” Janell looked away from Melgir.

“I know what you mean,” Melgir replied. “I have sensed it too. Nevertheless, let us enjoy the company and relax a bit. I have this feeling that danger is not far from where we are.” Having finished his meal, Melgir stood and wandered away to discover whether any Rangers with Aragorn’s company.

Melgir’s and Janell’s talking quietly did not go missed by Aragorn. He furrowed his brow as he sensed some concern between the Elf and his daughter.

Éomer sat quietly. He had not seen this group since Théoden’s funeral. He watched and listened. He had heard much of them from Aragorn, but preferred to wait before making his own decision on three Hobbits, a Healer, two Elves, a Ranger and last of all ~ a Dwarf.

Ríanor pulled himself away from the tree that he had been leaning against. His sharp Elf eyes had missed nothing—from the exchange between Melgir and Janell to Éomer’s appraisal of their fellowship. He made shift to speak.

“Sires, if I may, I would like to speak for those assembled here who have journeyed far at your request. We have come and know of the great danger that awaits us. I, for one, find the waiting almost unbearable. Can you tell us then, what we are expected to do with this…beast? This offspring of Sauron? How can such a creature be destroyed?”

Aragorn stood up and moved over to Ríanor. “Mae govannen, mellon nin! I thank you, and all of you, for joining us.” The King hesitated momentarily and studied the ground. “However, I am unsure about this creature myself, as is Éomer.”

His eyes glanced towards Melgir, who was returning to the fire. “But I think we have someone amongst us who could throw some light onto the subject.”

Melgir made to speak, but there was a movement in the shadows, a glow from a pipe.

The Green Istar, although to all appearances smoking her pipe without a care in the world, felt uncharacteristically restless. Radagast’s ring had become loose on her finger, and was now plainly visible to anyone who cared to look, although no one had.

Worse, the necklace of the Blue Wizards that Celeborn had entrusted to Belle, and which was safely tucked away in her traveler’s bag of herbs, seemed to be humming. Gintel, the Istar’s bay mare, had made her displeasure with the disturbance known to the Wizard mentally from the time the company had left Lothlórien.

“All right, Old Girl. I heard you!” Belle had answered silently back to the mare. “But what am I to do? If Yavanna Kementari now intends this ring for another, and the Blue Wizards’ emblem is meant not to be carried by me … ”

But as Belle looked at Melgir’s and Janell’s faces, she knew she had her answer. Rising, she withdrew the necklace from her bag and passed it quietly to Melgir. Going over to Janell, she took the Ranger’s hand. Turning it up, Belle dropped Radagast’s ring into it and closed Janell’s fingers around it.

Taking her seat by the fire as though nothing extraordinary had happened, Belle addressed King Aragorn. “Melgir can tell you much of this horror.” She looked meaningfully at the Elf, and gestured for him to speak.
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 03, 2006 09:36
A Revealing

Melgir took the necklace with astonishment. He did not know what to say. Then he realized, this is it! The necklace is it! He looked at Belle and nodded, then looked at Aragorn with a smile on his face.

"Do you remember when you rescued me from the High Moors those many years ago?" the he-Elf asked. Aragorn nodded.

"Well, I carried a secret all these years that I could never remember until a few weeks ago." He looked around at the others that were listening. Some of the men had surprised looks on their faces.

Melgir took a seat by the fire and relayed his message to all who wanted to hear about Carakgor, the monster they were about to face. The Men of the West gathered around the fire to hear the tale. He described what this creature was all about. The people around him could not believe their ears.
After holding onto the necklace for a while, something from it began to speak to him. It was like a voice from afar, but only he could hear it. The look in his eyes was of fear, but in his heart he knew it was a calming voice. He did not know he possessed the knowledge of voices from the past.

"I know what the necklace is for!" he exclaimed and stood up. "It has a power to render the beast at a standstill. The ring Janell holds, I do not know," he said.

Janell walked over to Melgir with a look that puzzled him. "I do know of the ring. I came across Radagast in my youth. He told me that many powers were held in the smallest of things. This is one of those. I do not know what that power is yet, but I will be acquainted with it when it happens. Don‘t ask me how I know, I just know."

Káin listened to Melgir’s tale of the beast. He had heard it before, but each re-telling filled him with dread. He held his hands over his ears as the necklace hummed and was somewhat relieved to hear that it would stand them in good stead when they finally came face to face with Carakgor. He turned towards Janell and watched as she placed the ring on her finger, then looked around puzzled as the silence covered the camp.

Janell put the ring on and it began to glow, but did not disappear. The humming sound emitting from the necklace stopped. There was not a sound to be heard anywhere. Not even in the night. Then she took off the ring. The night sounds came back and the humming on the necklace returned.
Both Janell and Melgir looked at Belle.

"What is the meaning of this?" Melgir inquired looking at Belle.

"The ring Janell now bears was a gift of the Vala Yavannah Kementari," replied the Green Istar evenly, to all assembled as much as to the Elves. "Radagast was ever devoted to her service. It can be assumed that Yavannah’s spouse, or his servants, had some hand in the making. The power in it comes from the Blessed Realm, and is benign, but the nature of it, or how it might be used, is something my brother never disclosed to me." Belle puffed away at her pipe as though she had been discussing the morning sunrise, not a matter of great import.

The whispers began among Aragorn’s men. Radagast? Belle’s brother? If so, this slip of a woman in Healer’s garb must be an Istar like him … A few of them edged away from where Belle was sitting, out of reach of her staff. Others, more curious, drew closer.

Gabby sat with his friends and took in all the telling of the tale of Carakgor. He feared greatly on account of the evil beast and hoped with all his heart that he, his friends and the men gathered with Aragorn would be able to best the beast. He noted with interest that Káin had heard the hum of the necklace too and was concerned as everyone else when the ring caused a great stillness to come over the night. Perhaps the silence caused by the ring might work in aid of them, quieting their coming to the beast, perhaps even hide them. He didn’t understand the magic and was filled with both trepidation and excitement at what the eventual outcome of this quest would be. Shaking his head slightly he dismissed his errant thoughts and, in true hobbit fashion, decided it must be time for more food.

Melgir looked around at the member of his group when Aragorn got up from his seat. "I think we need to talk about what we are going to do. Now that we know about the ring and necklace and their powers, we need to know on how we are going to use them." Aragorn had a look of hesitation on his face. "We could do with a plan on how to kill this Carakgor. Does anyone have any idea on what we should do?"

Then from somewhere in the group came a voice that no one heard before. "I think we need to find out where this monster is first before we go and fight him." This statement came from King Éomer. He had been quiet when the items were discussed. "We should send out a scout with a few men to locate him and while they are away, we can come up with a plan on how to destroy this creature."

With that said, Aragorn got a scout party together to find Carakgor. A dozen men set out on horses to another part of the mountains. While they were gone, Aragorn, King Éomer, the Company, and a few leaders all sat around a fire to discuss what was to be done.
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 08, 2007 07:22
Aragorn had gathered a dozen or so men. He noticed that Melgir had saddled his horse.

“What are you doing, my friend?” Aragorn asked as he approached him.

“I am going to see where this creature lives. He has haunted my dreams for so long that I need this. Besides, Janell will be all right with the rest of the company. Tell her where I am going. Give this to her.” With that, he bid Aragorn goodbye.

Aragorn knew that he could not talk Melgir out of anything. He returned to the rest of the group.

Janell gathered with the rest of the company and looked for her father. He was nowhere to be found. Her eyes searched everywhere and nothing. She walked over to Aragorn and whispered, “Have you seen father?”

Aragorn looked at her and nodded. “He wanted to go with the scouting party to find this beast. I could not stop him. He has become restless and needed answers on where he is located. But he did give me this to give to you.” He placed the necklace in her hands and the hithlain.

Janell did not like this. She was beginning to see what her father has become. He was becoming overconfident in what he was doing. Someday he is going to get hurt or worse. But then again, he is her father. She was very proud to be his daughter. He has lived this long not to get hurt and that was a blessing of the Valor.

As Melgir was getting up on his horse, he had a feeling that someone very familiar to him was amongst the soldiers. He had this same kind of feeling when he was in Annúminas a year ago. He turned around in his seat looking at each of the men. His eyes panned out the men and they fell on one in particular. He rode up to this man and asked, “What are you doing here?”

Fearakar turned in his saddle and recognized the voice. “Well, well, well. I thought I would never see you again. I came here to protect the King. What has brought you to join the soldiers on their mission?”

“I can give no reason.” He shook his head. “All I know is that I have this gut feeling that I am to seek out where this monster lives. Something pulls me. I have no explanation of why but I know where Carakgor lives. He has haunted my dreams for weeks now. I need to see this cave.” With that said Melgir went to the front of the men and yelled.

“Ok. It is a day’s ride there and back and I wish to be in my own bed by nightfall. So we shall get there before the sun rises overhead.” Melgir turned his horse around and headed straight to the cave.

Fearakar did not know what to think. He never thought he would see Melgir again. Now was his chance. He needed to talk to this man before they got back. He just found out information about his kin that he needed clearing up. In addition, he had to ask him soon.

At midday, they came to a forest that surrounded the entrance to the cave. Melgir got off his horse and hid in the underbrush of the entrance. Then he heard it: a scream so loud that it made him wince. He looked at the rest of the company as if they did not her it.

“Did you not hear that, Fearakar?” he whispered. He took his hands away from his ears.

Fearakar looked at him as if he was mad. He shook his head. Maybe the elf did hear something that they could not. Elves did have exceptional hearing. He glanced at Melgir again. He looks like he was in pain.

“I have to tell you something,” Fearakar whispered.

“Not now. I need to find out how far this beast hides in this cave before we can make a plan on how to take him down.” With that, he got up from his hiding place and crept to the entrance. No one else moved from his spot. He went inside the cave alone.

While in the entrance, he noticed he did not need a fire to see where he was going. There were holes in the cave that let in light. This was good. There were human skulls and animals scattered everywhere. The smell was something else. It would make a mortal man ailing of his meal. It was a good thing that the group had not eaten yet. Then he heard footsteps behind him. Melgir turned and found Fearakar and two other soldiers coming his way. Well, this was unheard of. ‘I guess mortal man is stronger than what they say’ he thought to himself. He placed his finger over his lips.

They entered further into the cave. The soldiers had to stay in the middle so that they did not step on something. It was a further mess. Strewn out on the floor were more bones. It looked like an open burial place. One sound would have made Carakgor know that someone was there.

They heard heavy breathing as they went in further. Melgir had then seen his nightmare. He was the biggest beast that he had ever encountered. Just seeing him alive brought out the worst fears that he had dreamt about. They watched Carakgor sleep for a few moments. Melgir motioned them to turn around and exit the cave. They came out into the daylight. Melgir turned to see if they had woken him up. All was quiet for now. He could still hear the even breathing of the beast.

The band of soldiers ran the rest of the way to the others followed by Melgir. Melgir’s heart was still pounding when he got back to the underbrush. They moved back further into the forest to be out of the eyes of their enemy. He eyed the group and cleared his throat.

“We need to eat before we head back. It will be a long trip.” He proceeded to his horse to get some lembas that he stashed away for emergencies. As he was getting his water container, Fearakar walked up to him. The rest of the soldiers got their food and sat quietly amongst themselves talking of what the others had seen. Melgir needed to be alone for a few minutes to collect his thoughts.

“I need to speak to you before we return back to King Aragorn and the rest.” Fearakar looked at Melgir with anticipation in his eyes. How could he tell him? He had just found about his past and he could no longer keep it to himself.

“Alright, I guess I can give you a few minutes. However, make it quick. I want to get back before dark.” Melgir went to find a log to sit on and eat. Fearakar followed him and pondered on what he was going to tell Melgir.

“What I’m about to tell you will be a complete surprise.” Fearakar started to pace back and forth in front of Melgir.

“Will you quit pacing? You are making me lose my appetite.” Melgir was now only nibbling his food.

“Ok. Here it goes. A few months ago, I came across my mother in Minas Tirith. King Aragorn and I went back there to help start cleansing this land of the evil that came upon it after Sauron died. Anyways, she told me about my past. It seems that I came from the Dunlending clan and that one of my ancestors name was Árfæst.” He looked at Melgir. Melgir had this look of shock on his face. Fearakar couldn‘t believe it.

“So then it is true. She told me that some of my past involved elves. I laughed at her. She said she was serious. One of them was a man named Melgir.” He stopped there when he said his name.

Melgir looked at him with fright on his face. It cannot be! He had never heard the Dunlending name in many years. He had forgotten all about it. Those were great days. He looked at the ground has if he remembered something. Then he looked up.

Fearakar looked at him and asked, “Are you that man? Am I looking at one of my clan even if you are an elf?” He stared at Melgir with his whole soul.

“I guess you have found your ancestor. I cannot hide from my past anymore when he stands in front of me. I came across a woman a long time. She made me forget things that haunted me. She had a soothing side to her that could relieve the grass of strength. I fell in love with her. We had to steel every moment that we could just to be alone. I guess I cannot seem to get out of this being free without consequences. Her name was Árfæst. She was the daughter of Wulf, son of Freca. Wulf had claimed Lordship over the lands of Rohan for a time until Fréaláf Hildeson, kin of Helm Hammerhand came and killed Wulf. To answer your question, yes, I am that man that fell in love with Árfæst. She was a beautiful woman.” His eyes took on a far off glaze.

This was a lot of information. Fearakar had to sit down before he fell down.

“I never thought I would come across the day when I would meet one of my kin!” Fearakar could not believe this. He was astounded with the news. “I thought I was the last of my family but it turns out that I am not.”

“Let’s not talk about this any further. We must get back before dark.” Melgir gathered up his supplies and put them in the bag. He walked up further to the other men.

“Let’s get moving before the sun sets and we are in this place for the night.”

With that, the men gathered up their stuff and got on their horses fast. They did not want to spend the night because of the beast. Melgir took the lead with the men following. Fearakar took up the rear.

They arrived back at the camp before sunset. They all got off their horses and Melgir went in search of Aragorn. He found him still at the meeting with the rest of the company. He sought out Janell and sat beside her. He bowed his head in his hands. Just being beside her brought some comfort. He began to cry softly into his hands.
shireling
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 03, 2007 12:11
Thanks to all who contributed to this most interesting RP! We especially appreciate Belle's creative ideas!

==========================

"Strange Tidings from the Woods"

‘So this is what it is like to lose control of your senses,’ Melgir thought. The size of that monster was enough to see in nightmares, but to see it in real life was something else. It brought many fears to the surface. He tried to gain control and did. Composed Melgir stood next to Janell.

Janell placed her hand on top of Melgir’s and looked at him. ‘What was that about?’ she thought.

“Well, by the looks of the beast, he is indescribable. He is even bigger when you actually see him. We will have to decide on a strategy that will work.” Melgir looked at Belle as he spoke.

The Istar regarded the Elf impassively, saying nothing. She was listening to a distant sound; one she had never expected to hear in Arda again. With a small, abrupt bow to Melgir and the rest, Belle walked swiftly away.

Káin lit a fresh pipe and drew long on it. He watched Belle walk away and wondered at the expression on the Istar’s face, as though she heard something no-one else could. Turning his attention back to the present company, he leaned forward. “Where exactly did you find the beastie?” he asked Melgir, trying to ignore the he-Elf’s obvious distress.

Tanzy looked up from an apple she was munching on. She could feel the tenseness and fear pervading from Melgir, though the he-Elf tried not to show it. She felt Káin could sense it too. "So, the Carakgor is close by?" she said with some trepidation.

The tension was thick in the camp. Gabby could sense it too. He knew that they had come to the point when action would now be taken. "Shall we be breaking camp here King Aragorn," he asked, "or will we remain here as a base camp. I could start gathering the needed supplies." Gabby was in no hurry to meet this beast but neither did he want to put off the inevitable. It had terrible repercussions on his appetite and stomach when he was nervous or tense. "Will we be getting on with it, then?" he inquired of the group at large.

Melgir considered for a moment, then nodded in agreement. “I can tell you that it is less than a day’s ride from here. Somehow, I knew from my dreams the area in which he lived. But the cave is not what is seems,” he said, then went on to described what took place when the scouts left camp to find Carakgor. The he-Elf continued, "I think our best course of action is to gather all we need and start out right away.”

Melgir looked at Janell. She was eager to get rid of this monster. He then looked around at everyone, but could not see the Istar anywhere. A slight frown furrowed his brow, but he shrugged. The Istar was the Istar and Belle must have gone some place to think.

Aragorn listened intently, King Éomer was also listening. Melgir finished his account and stood up. He spoke to Éomer first, "We should leave as soon as we can, if that is fitting for you, my friend."

Éomer nodded his consent then turned to see if Aragorn also agreed. "First light will be the time of our departure," Aragorn said quietly. "Éomer and myself will inform the soldiers to be prepared and ready for the off."

"Gabby," Aragorn called out, "I think we will leave this as a base camp. We will need a place to bring the injured and to get away from the filth of the Carakgor. We should find the Istar and ask her to cast some protection spells around the camp. Perhaps she can ward off the Carakgor's chances of finding us, should it go badly."

Gabby nodded his understanding to the King and hurried off to help ready the arms and horses for the assault

Aragorn looked to Rían. “Find Belle as quickly as may be. We will need her help if all is not to go ill with us. Return as soon as you find her,” the King urged. Rían nodded his understanding and melted into the darkness.

The camp began to quieten as people took the chance for sleep. Most slept peacefully, but in one corner of the camp, there was unrest.

Tanzy's stomach was full of butterflies at the thought of finally meeting up with the Carakgor. 'Thank goodness we will have Belle's extra protection,' she thought. ' I think this monster is going to require a lot more than stalwart hearts and sharp swords, even with the two kings' presence. Where is that Istar anyway?'

Suddenly Tanzy remembered having seen Belle last, heading for the river. 'Maybe I better find Rían and tell him that.' She headed toward the river looking for the Elf and the Istar when she suddenly noticed strange footsteps in the sand by the river's edge.

"What on earth is this!" she said aloud. Then feeling a presence, she turned to see Rían standing by her studying the tracks.

Rían smiled at Tanzy’s startled look as he appeared at her side. "I see your sharp Hobbit eyes have found the tracks. What do you make of them?" he inquired.

Tanzy swallowed the surprised cry she was about to make at the Elf's sudden presence, blushed a little then said, "They don't look like any of our tracks Rían. I've got a pretty good eye for the tracks of the men that are with us as well as our own, and these do not fit! Who do you think they belong to?"

Rían studied the tracks in the darkness. “These are not tracks of our company. We have not traveled this part of the river. They are heavily booted men, and I am afraid that I also see Belle's marks in amongst them. This does not bode well." The dark haired Elf looked up from his kneeling position peering into the darkness surrounding them. "We must follow these tracks to see where they lead. Quickly! Time is of the essence!”

“Can I come with you, then, Rían, or should I go back and tell the others?" She looked up at the Elf expectantly. "You might need some help here, Rían. I can be very stealthy, you know,” she said smiling hopefully.

The tall Elf hesitated the merest fraction of a second; unsure as to whether or not he should send Tanzy back or not. Making up his mind, he turned to her, "Please come. I could use another set of eyes. We will not go far as we don't want the King’s company to scatter looking for us if we don't return."

Tanzy looked at Rían. “Great! I appreciate your good elf sense," she said grinning form ear to ear and eyes opened wide. “I'll send Wind Dancer to tell the others! Oh! Never mind there he goes already!”

As Wind Dancer winged his way back to the base camp, Rían and Tanzy made their way following the trail in the ever-lightening sky. Rían grew more concerned with every step. Belle would not have gone willingly and left no message for them, but he could not fathom how she could have been overcome and forced against her will. They were already farther from the company than he liked and they needed to return soon. Rían turned to Tanzy and asked, “My heart goes against turning back, but if in truth something has happened to Belle, we will need help. What say you? Should we return or keep to our tracking?”

"She may need you, Rían. I'll go back for help; you keep tracking Belle,” Tanzy replied fervently.

Rían nodded "I think that that would be wise. Send word to me with Wind Dancer, and I'll keep you informed.”

Tanzy was loath to leave the Elf and greatly desired to help him find Belle, but she knew the Elf's wisdom was correct. She turned to run back to camp hoping Wind Dancer would have an eye on her as well, just in case there was more danger in the woods on her return.

Hope struggling with fear, Belle made toward the river in the direction of Radagast’s voice. Her heart had told her days ago, when Celeborn placed the Brown Istar’s ring in her hands, that her brother had perished, and was in Arda no more. How, then, did she now hear his voice, crooning to the birds of the sky? Could it really be he?

The Green Istar stumbled along the river bank, further and further away from the camp. She wished she had asked a member of the Company to go with her, and fretted over being gone so long. “Brother!” she called mentally. “Stay where you are! I am trying to find you!” Following the voice, Belle turned away from the river into the woods. Thrusting aside the dense vegetation, she broke into a small clearing.

There stood a figure garbed in robes the dark blue color of the night sky. He held a staff of iron in one hand, and with the other stroked a necklace that looked very familiar, as it was the twin to the one Belle had been moved to give to Melgir. From the necklace came the tones of Radagast’s voice. At the Green Wizard’s horrified expression, the blue-clad image laughed cruelly.

Composing herself, albeit clenching her own staff tightly, Belle asked as calmly as she could, “Have I the honor of addressing Alatar or Pallando?”

Abruptly, the Blue Wizard ceased to make the necklace sing, then sneered. “It does not signify. We are Carakgor.” He took a step closer to Belle. “You have the necklace like unto mine, and your brother’s ring. Give them to me! Now!”

The Green Wizard realized that if she ever made it back to the camp alive to warn the others, she needed to take her adversary’s measure. But how to obtain it? An oppressive, blue-gray cloud was emanating from the Blue Istar, and Belle’s own green light from her staff could barely keep it at bay. She decided to try insolence. “I fear no beast that Elven rope can bind!” the Green Istar retorted, with far more bravery than she felt.

The Blue Wizard struck the ground with his staff, and the earth moved so violently that Belle was cast down. “Foolish woman!” roared the Blue Wizard, raising his staff to deliver a crushing blow. “Trifle not with me! Give me what I ask, or you shall suffer!”

“I do not have them!” yelled Belle, holding up her staff defensively. She commended herself to Mandos as her opponent’s staff came down.

Suddenly, the Blue Wizard gasped and fell backwards. Belle rolled out of the way of his staff as it fell to the ground. Alatar, or Pallando – she was still not sure which – lay there as if struck. A liquid very like to blood began to come from his mouth. Belle found herself being lifted to her feet, and with shock almost the equal to encountering the Blue Wizard, she looked into the grinning face of the Southron Raza! Behind him was a face she barely recognized, the Southron who had brought food to Raza’s hovel the night the Company visited there. They must have followed her!

Rían, who had arrived on the scene just in time to see the Green Istar fall, was too relieved to scold Belle, and equally surprised at the appearance of the Southrons. ‘That explains the footprints by the river’, he thought.

The Healer in Belle came to the fore as she knelt beside the unconscious Blue Wizard. Wresting him into a sitting position with Rían’s help so he wouldn’t strangle on his own blood, she watched, stupefied, as Raza pulled his throwing knife from the Wizard’s back. The Southron grunted, in Westron, “He took my son. I took his life.” Raza seemed very pleased with himself, and his companion grinned.

But no, the Blue Wizard, still alive, would have the last word. Reaching up weakly, he stroked the necklace once more with a ringed hand. The necklace rang wildly, then was still. And as the three watched, his body disappeared in a haze of blue smoke.

The necklace, however, was left behind. The Green Wizard picked it up gingerly. It felt warm to the touch, and she imagined that she could still hear Radagast’s voice coming from it.

Belle had no time to ponder her brother’s fate, however. A thundering of another kind commenced. Without warning, the kelvar* of the woods ran past, as if fleeing for their lives. A flock of sparrows raced overhead, away from the direction of the camp. The Green Istar managed to make contact with one of them. “Wherefore do you flee?” she asked.

“It is awake, and it seeks to feed.” The bird gave Belle a picture of Carakgor, awake and moving.

The Green Wizard gasped. “We must return to the camp at once!” To the puzzled looks of her companions, Belle explained. ”Even now, Carakgor marches on the camp! The necklace woke him. And he is hungry!” She began to run. “Make haste!” the Green Istar bellowed. “Make haste or all is lost! Raza, Rían! Run!” She looked at Raza’s friend. “You, too!”

Rían, accustomed to running in the manner of Elves, was not winded. Nor were the Southrons; they almost matched the Elf step for step. Not so the Green Istar. She was red in the face, huffing and puffing in a way that would have given any Healer grave concern. But she pressed on. In between ragged gasps she spoke. “The Blue Wizards are the power behind the monster. But they need both necklaces to make him invincible. With the two in our possession, we may yet defeat him! But we must get to camp before Carakgor!” She thought of Aragorn and the others, not realizing the danger about to come upon them. “Run!”

Káin had a restless night. It seemed that every stone and twig had found their way under his bedroll. He could hear the camp guards talking quietly and watched as Melgir tossed and turned. He saw Rían leave the camp quietly, followed by Tanzy and wondered should he follow. He was concerned as to where Belle had gone. But through his worried thoughts, rest finally came and he slipped into a fitful, dream-filled sleep.

Some hours later, the noise of pots and the smell of food woke Káin. He rubbed his eyes, sat up and looked around. He was surprised to see Wind Dancer perched by Aragorn’s sleeping place. Was this cause for more concern. No Rían, no Tanzy, and most importantly, no Belle. But as the thoughts came, a small figure burst into the camp. It was Tanzy. But where were Rían and Belle?

Whether from the noise from the camp, or Tanzy’s sudden appearance, or something terrible in his sleep, Melgir woke with a start and sat up in his bedroll. He was wet with sweat. Dawn was breaking. Janell was awake also and sitting up, her arms wrapped tightly around her knees.

Melgir looked at his daughter worriedly, then looked around the camp. “Has something happened? Where are Belle and Rían?”

Gabby was busying himself, taking command of making breakfasts. He was also on the lookout for Tanzy to say good morning to her as he had noticed her absence, Rían’s and Belle’s. “I’ll be having words with her when she returns,” he muttered. Then his eyes opened wide at the site of the female Hobbit dashing into the camp. Dropping the pan he was holding onto the fire, he hurried over to Tanzy.

Everyone gathered around Tanzy wondering at her sudden appearance back in the camp. She was about to tell them what she and Rían had discovered when the sound of breaking twigs, the pounding of feet and loud voices filled the camp site as Rían and a cape flapping Belle burst through the undergrowth and out of the nearby forest.

Káin stood up and stared, Melgir and Janell moved quickly to the Dwarf's side, Éomer and Aragorn, swords drawn stepped forward. Shocked as they were to see Belle and Rían, their looks of surprise were directed more at the figures of Southron Raza and his companion, who had appeared behind the Istar and the Elf.

Belle stopped, hands resting on her knees, and gasped for breath. She waved her hand in a gesture of encouragement to Rían for him to speak. "Tell …. them … about …. the ….. wizards…..!" she panted out.

The eyes of everyone were now trained on Rían.

[Edited on 3/2/2007 by shireling]
balrog
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 08, 2007 06:49
Loved the way this is coming together ladies! Thanks again for a memorable day.

An Imminent Threat

“Carakgor!” Rían shouted, “It is awake, and seeks to feed! Blue Wizards have control of the beast, and while one of the Wizards is worsted, the other yet lives, I deem! But that must wait, as the beast is hard upon our heels! We must prepare!”

Carakgor had awoken from his slumber, and thought he heard something inside his cave. He moved to the entrance and looked out, but there was no one around. Feeling a sudden hunger, he left and headed for the forest.

As he entered the forest, he became aware of his name being called. In confusion he looked around him, but could see no-one. He shook his head, and continued eating his newly killed deer. He had heard his name being called before, and thought little else of it until he arrived back at the cave.

He had a distant memory of someone or something, a figure that came to him in his sleep, in his dreams, who had made him afraid. Afraid of artifacts that could kill him. Sauron had also warned him of this long ago.

Shaking his head again, in an attempt to dispel his confusion and worry, Carakgor sniffed the air. Somewhere out there was the means to destroy him, unless he destroyed it first. He lumbered out of the cave and turned in the direction of where his senses told him the devices of destruction were.

The entire camp was in confusion and horror at Rían’s words.

Belle had gained her breath and stood straight. She held out the necklace she had taken from her encounter with the Blue Wizard.

“With this and the one Melgir bears, we may yet have a chance. I feel you should have it, Aragorn,” she said quietly.

Aragorn shook his head adamantly. “No, no. I think the strength of the Elves should carry the power of the necklaces.” The King turned to Rían. “Will you take it, Master Elf?”

Rían took the necklace from the king. A flicker of revulsion crossed his handsome features, then was gone. Looking into the eyes of the company one by one, finally coming to rest upon Melgir, he nodded his assent.

As Melgir looked into Rían’s eyes, he could feel the hesitation. He place his hand on Rían’s shoulder.

“Yes, I think Aragorn is right. We have the strength to carry this forward.” Melgir was trying to give courage to Rían. “We have been given the strength from Arda to deal with anything that comes our way. We can do this!” Somehow, the necklace that Melgir had carried felt different when the other one was near.

Aragorn bowed to Melgir for his wisdom, then turned to Belle. “How far behind you is the beast,” he asked, his eyes wide, sweat beading on his brow.

Raza moved forward and bowed. “He be a while yet, my Lord King. We made good time. We should come to a decision soon, though.”

Aragorn nodded, turned to Éomer and the soldiers, then spoke to the camp.

“Carakgor must sense the power of the necklaces and ring. He will be searching for them. We must do everything we can to protect our friends,” he said gravely.

Standing before Belle, Aragorn took her hands and looked into her eyes. “Once again the fate of Middle-earth is in the hands of a group of brave people.” Belle bowed her head, and silently beseeched the Valar that she and they would be equal to the task.

Aragorn turned to the Hobbits. “We again must bow to you, my dear friends, as we did to four other Hobbits once before. But there is no time to lose. You must go. Find safety! We will hold off the creature for as long as we can, and spare ourselves not.”

A rousing cheer went up from the soldiers. Éomer raised his sword and turned to face the forest.

The group of friends stood frozen momentarily. Aragorn waved his sword, urging the Istar to lead her companions away. “Go, go…..go now!!” he cried.

Turning as one, the small fellowship of friends made for their steeds, mounted, and with a last look at the camp, galloped off into the early morning light. Raza and his companion following close on their heels, with thoughts of providing protection to Belle and her friends.

Aragorn and Éomer turned their thoughts to the impending horror that was about to descend upon them.

“We must face this danger with all the strength we have, Éomer. Although, if the stories be true, I doubt that will be sufficient,” Aragorn said quietly.

Éomer nodded agreement. “But we have faced danger before, old friend.”

Drawing up a battle plan, the camp waited. Hours passed, men fidgeted, horses fretted until a noise caused everyone to hold their breath. The sound of trees being torn apart, of animals fleeing before a terror they had never encountered before, and of birds leaving their roosts filled the air. Everyone held their breath as the beast emerged from the forest. It roared its defiance, then lowered its head, its eyes glowing as it looked at its feeble adversaries.

“You dare to think that you can destroy me!” it bellowed.

“Stand, men!!” shouted Aragorn. Looking at Carakgor, unflinching, Aragorn roared back. “Do your worst, spawn of evil!”

Carakgor stamped his foot and the earth shook. The creature put its head back, and a throaty blood chilling laugh left its throat. Then it stopped. Carakgor’s great horned head swayed from side to side as it looked around at the camp.

“But it is not here. That which I seek is not here!” The creature, frustrated, moved forward, lashing at a nearby group of soldiers.

Aragorn and Éomer stood their ground. “You shall not pass!”

Carakgor looked bemused, and cackled again. It put its head forward, its hot breath covering Aragorn. “Do you think to stop me?”

The stench from Carakgor’s breath made Aragorn reel, but he stood his ground. “Attack, Men! Attack!!” he shouted, slicing at the creature’s head. Carakgor winced imperceptibly and put its hand to the wound. The soldiers moved forward slashing at the creature. Momentarily, it moved backwards and shook its head, then recovering its senses, it shook off the attacks and bounded through the lines, heading for the forest and its quarry.

Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2007 04:14
(OOC: Well, dear friends, the final curtain awaits. So much fun and good writing. It has been a pleasure. *hugs*

Faith, Hope and Brave Deeds

With the sounds of men shouting, weapons clashing back at the camp, the group urged their mounts through the trees. Tunnels of green gloom encompassed them as they pushed forward, jumping fallen trees, twisting and turning through undergrowth.

Ears were strained as they moved further and further away from the thing that they knew hunted them.

The forest seemed to become more dense, twisted branches, like arms, stretched across their path, dragging at cloaks, scratching faces. Fear and apprehension gave added urgency to the group’s need to find a place of safety.

Elfstan felt fear akin to panic grip his heart as he had never felt before with this company. It seemed as though the very forest was conspiring to thwart them in their search for safety. Again and again his heart froze at sounds from the forest. It seemed as if the very air of the forest was closing in upon them. Each step forward seemed to be in slow motion when all haste was needed. The frustration was almost more than he could bear. He glanced at Rían only to see a calm determination on the handsome Elf’s face.

Sensing Elfstan’s glance, Rían turned smiling to his friend. “Do not fear, Elfstan. We have come to the end of our journey to destroy the evil which threatens Middle-earth but not, I think, to our own end. Trust to hope dear, friend. My heart tells me we will prevail this night. Maybe from help unlooked for, maybe from courage unmasked.”

Elfstan smiled as the fear gradually loosed its grip upon his heart. Taking a deep breath, the Hobbit gave a brief nod and squared his shoulders for the fight ahead.

“Káin!” Rían called softly to the dwarf just ahead of him, “Do you not sense a change in the forest? What do you make of it?”

Káin swallowed, his mouth dry. He merely nodded at Rían, then shrugged at the he-Elf’s question. The Dwarf did not even want to contemplate what may have caused the change.

Back at the camp, Aragorn and Éomer stood watching the disappearing bulk of the creature as it lumbered off towards the forest.

“We must go after it, Aragorn,” Éomer said, breathing heavily, his jerkin torn from where Carakgor had raked him. He held his sword high and made move to follow the creature.

“No,” said Aragorn, his face drained. “I fear there would be little we could do. The creature has no interest in us.” The King gestured with his head towards the forest. “It is our friends that it seeks and what they possess.”

“But, but…” protested Éomer.

Aragorn rested his hand on Éomer’s arm. “We have to hope that they are safe and will face whatever befalls them with the courage I know they have.”

Káin reeled backwards in his saddle as a large branch caught him in the chest. He raised his axe striking hard at the branch and reined Murnin around it as it fell away. Raza and his Southron companion joined the Dwarf, riding alongside him.

“Tis hoped there is easier passage ahead, Master Dwarf,” Raza’s voice rasped in Káin’s ear. “If it becomes much more difficult, we may have to dismount and walk, and there is no time for that.”

Káin pulled several offending twigs from his beard. “Aye, my friend.” The Dwarf looked around at his friends, strung out behind and before them, then leaned towards Raza. “Does it not strike you as strange that we do not hear anything behind us!”

“That’s it!” said Elfstan. “That is what has struck me as so odd, so oppressing. The forest is quiet as no forest should be. It is holding its breath I deem.”

“The deep breath before the plunge into battle,” murmured Rían as he urged Amras through the ever-thickening growth.

Each member of the company had their own thoughts as they glanced warily from side to side at the encroaching forest.

Carakgor stopped some distance into the forest. It raised its horned head and listened, hoping to hear some sound that would indicate where its quarry was. As thoughtful an expression as it could muster crossed its face. Frustration caused its small red eyes to narrow. It snorted, then sniffed long and hard at the air and strained again to hear something, anything!. Its efforts were thwarted by something beyond its comprehension. No smells, no noises. Just silence! A deafening silence! How was this possible? It was as if a fog clouded its brain. Thrashing this way and that through the bushes, uprooting small trees, Carakgor vented his temper. Something was denying it from discovering where the group of riders had gone.

The creature bellowed a challenge to those creatures and birds of the forest that dared to stay. Swaying its mighty head from side to side, Carakgor decided on a direction and moved off into the forest as the day held its breath.

Belle reined Gintel to a stop, raised herself from her saddle and studied their surroundings. She turned to her companions and held a finger to her lips then pointed to a section of forest where light filtered through and the trees seemed to thin.

Dismounting, she drew a line with her staff in the dirt across the path the company had just traversed. It flashed green, and then vanished. To questioning looks from her companions, she muttered, “This may confuse him long enough for us to find a place of safety.”

Settling back into her saddle, the Istar waved her arm, motioning for the group to follow her. Had anyone cared to look back, they would have seen the hoof prints of the horses and ponies fading away behind them.

Finally, the bedraggled riders emerged into a clearing. Ahead of them was a clear path with sheer walls of stone on either side.

Without a backward glance and relieved that the grasping, dark forest was now behind them, the group rode forward into the lessening sunlight and headed along the path.

Raza and his companion left Káin’s side and joined Belle at the head of the line. “Maybe we will find a cave, a place where we can be safe and decide what we are going to do,” Raza said quietly to Belle.

Belle nodded. “Mayhap, my friend,” she answered. “My concern is that we have heard nothing. Have you noticed that no birds sing, nor creatures move. All has been stilled.”

"I think I may know the reason, Belle." Janell spoke up. "I believe it is the ring that is still on my finger. It seems that when I wear it, there are no sounds. Although I am uncertain as to why or how that could be." She held her hand before her, the sun glinting on the simple band of gold and gems. Could this ring hold such power? Her brow furrowed as she shook a sudden thought from her mind.

“Could this ring still the very heart of the forest?” asked Rían. “That would be power indeed if that be the case.”

Janell turned at Rían’s words. She smiled at the he-Elf. “We can only hope, my friend. But who knows what powers are around us.”

Moving quietly and with care, the companions continued forward. The path became steeper, the ponies and horses slipping on the loose scree and stones. Belle trotted on and turned a corner “A cave!” she called back over her shoulder. “Hurry!”

With no need for further encouragement, the rest of the group followed. There in the sheer wall of stone was a niche and a cave, dry and hopefully empty. Raza and his companion entered first at the request of Belle and made a thorough examination of the interior. Emerging moments later, they nodded that they were happy to find there were no passageways or hidden entrances and that the cave had no inhabitants.

Everyone hurried through the entrance and dismounted.

Taking the opportunity for what was hoped to be a respite from the danger that dogged them, Káin set about making a fire, for comfort and warmth, as well as taking his mind off what was to come. “We should make some brands. Fire can instill fear in any creature and it may be of some use against our adversary, when Carakgor finally arrives,” the Dwarf said gruffly. “There are some branches and kindling I saw over there.”

"I hope that Aragorn and Éomer are all right." Melgir said. He took a seat beside Janell. She looked scared about something. "What ails you, Janell?"

"Nothing." She startling herself more than her father. "I’m sorry. I'm on edge." She wanted this over. She looked at her father and felt deep sorrow that she may never have the time to spend with him, for which she so yearned. She wanted the opportunity to learn about him, to become close to him after all the years apart.

Melgir smiled softly and gently cupped the face of his daughter. "It is understandable, Janell. I am also unnerved." He stood up and began to collect firewood. He needed to keep busy. Elfstan followed Melgir to help with the firewood. He too needed to focus his thoughts, calm his fears. Mundane tasks such as gathering firewood helped.

Soon a fire was crackling, enveloping the company in much needed comfort. The warmth of the air seemed to have vanished along with the speech of the forest. The familiar sound of hungry flames lapping the dry tinder lulled all those listening into a peaceful rest. Thoughts turned inward and away from the oncoming evil. Thoughts of peace stole over their hearts strengthening them as much as a night’s sleep.

Gabby sat down next to Tanzy. He licked his lips, trying to dispel the dryness of his mouth and throat. “I wish we had time for a second breakfast,” he said quietly in an attempt to lighten the atmosphere. Tanzy snuggled closer to her friend and pushed her arm into the crook of his elbow. She squeezed his arm gently and smiled, hoping to reassure him.

Gabby smiled back and stroked Tanzy’s hand. “Thank you, dear Tanzy. If you are unafraid, then so am I.”

Tanzy looked away, a tear springing to her eye, then she turned back. “We will be fine, Gabby. Just believe that, dear Hobbit.”

Káin’s eyes drooped as he sat near the fire. The brands made by him and his friends lay in a pile beside him.

Suddenly there was a noise outside the cave, some distance away it seemed, but enough to stir everyone.

The Dwarf moved stealthily to the cave entrance and peered outside. “Something …. Something is coming!! Carakgor!!” he said, turning back to where his friends stood. Standing close to each other they listened. They could all hear the breaking of trees, the sound of falling rocks in the distance and even so stalwart a group could not disguise the fear they felt.

“We must ready ourselves. Remember, we have the necklaces and the ring!” Belle addressed the company. ‘Eru grant us the strength and courage we need,” she added quietly to herself. The Istar lowered her head and clasped her hands. “I will set a warding around us.” Once again, she drew lines in the ground with the tip of her staff. Green light filled and flowed along them like water, then sank away from view.

Whatever Belle did, it appeared to work. The sounds of the creature dissipated as and quiet descended again.

Everyone moved back inside the cave, the sky was darkening outside and the brands were lit. They could only wait. Belle fretted. How long before they were discovered, she could not guess.

Káin began to speak, when the Green Istar put her hand across his mouth.

“Shhhhh,” she whispered. “I hear something outside!”

The group moved together and watched as Belle walked to the cave entrance once more. She visibly stiffened, then turned back to her friends. “It ….it is Radagast!!” she said, her voice soft with wonder, a smile crossing her face. Everyone hurried to Belle’s side and stared out at the sight of a small cart containing two figures. Indeed one was Radagast, and beside him was a hooded figure in blue.

Turning the horse, Radagast guided the cart into the cave, and he and his companion stepped down.

The Brown Wizard smiled and nodded to the group over his sister’s shoulder as she dropped her staff and wrapped her arms around him in a crushing embrace. “Yes, it is I, Radagast!” he said, patting Belle gently on the shoulder as he rocked her like a child. Then he gently broke free and held her at arm’s length. “But we must talk!” he continued, with urgency in his voice. Belle straightened up and stood back, retrieving her staff.

As everyone watched Belle and her brother’s reunion, slowly eyes turned and concentrated on the blue-robed figure. Radagast held Belle away and turned to his companion. “This is Alatar, the Blue Wizard.”

Elfstan gasped, as did Gabby and Tanzy. A Blue Wizard!! Oh my! They took a small step back. Alatar pushed back his hood, his face lit by the firelight. “Greetings,” he said quietly, inclining his head to each member. “Have no fear of me, my friends,” he continued. “We have travelled long and hard, Radagast and I. We come to assist you in destroying Carakgor, but first I must explain.”

He seated himself on the ground and gestured for everyone to sit down.

“You have in your possession two necklaces and a ring, I believe,” the Blue Wizard said, his voice deep and resonant. Belle nodded. Alatar smiled slowly. “And you believe these artifacts to have some kind of power.” Again Belle nodded.

Alatar slowly shook his head. “This is not so. You have been deceived by Pallando, my once friend.” The Blue Istar laughed wryly “He has also deceived Carakgor, the creature that seeks you.” Alatar looked at dismayed faces. “There is no power in the artifacts,” he continued, a tone of sadness in his voice.

Janell made shift to object that this could not be the case, then held her peace. Was this the feeling that had unnerved her earlier in the forest and then again in the cave.

Raising a hand for silence, he continued. “My fellow Istar, Pallando turned to the side of evil. He followed the Dark Lord and hoped that Carakgor, under his influence, would again command Middle-earth.”

The silence and disbelief amongst the group filled the cave. “This cannot be!!” roared Káin, echoing into sound the thoughts of Janell. Belle stayed the Dwarf anger with a shake of her head.

“I believe him,” she said quietly, “I myself heard Pallando’s voice, and fell under its power. It persuaded even such as I of the lies Alatar has just revealed.” She turned to Radagast. “What now, Brother?” she asked gently, her calm voice belying her concern.

“Have a good heart, Sister,” Radagast answered. “We have among us three Istar, three brave Hobbits, a great Dwarf, a good Ranger,” he said bowing his head toward Janell, “two strong men, and two mighty Elves. Do we not have an army." A warm glow emitted from the Brown Istar's face. He smiled and leaned on his staff. "And we have hope!”

Alatar rose. “We must make haste, and find and face the creature. Belle, your warding lines delayed its searching, but that will be all too brief, and I, also, have managed thus far to frustrate its efforts to find you.” The Blue Wizard smiled. “It, too, believes you have artifacts of power, but it will find that brave hearts and unbounded courage will be its undoing.”

Radagast nodded his head in agreement. “We have time to rest and renew our strength. At first light, we shall go to meet Carakgor,” he said, his voice soothing. “We are safe till the morning.”

Radagast walked over to the Ranger. "It is good to see you again, Janell,” he said, holding Janell’s shoulders. “How have you been? Have you been continuing with the lessons I taught you? It seems so. I have not heard a sound from the forest for a bit. Did you do that?"

"I have been fine,” answered Janell, hugging Radagast. Then she stood back. “What do you mean? How can I silence the forest? I am not capable of spells. I'm am no Wizard. All I want is for this to be over so that I can spend some time with my father." Janell looked at the Wizard with a smile on her face. “Sit a while with me, my friend.”

There was little sleep had that short night. Káin snatched what naps he could. On occasion peering into the gloom of the cave and seeing the glow from Belle’s pipe, Melgir’s eyes catching the light from the dying embers of the fire, as he talked with Rían about whatever Elves talked of at moments such as this. Others of the group also took brief opportunities of fitful slumber.

Dawn broke and the new day saw the group of riders set off down the steep path and back towards the forest, a grey veil of mist swirling around the horses and ponies legs, softening the sound of their hooves. Rían began to hum an Elvish tune that gave succour to his friends, filling their hearts with vigour and calming them.

As suddenly as the forest had dissipated the day before, it now loomed before them. One by one, they dismounted.

“He is close,” whispered Alatar. “The Valar protect us!”

As they waited, the horses and ponies straining at their reins to be free, the whites of their eyes showing, a bellow came from the trees and Carakgor burst forth. His eyes glowed red as he roared his challenge. “You think to destroy me!” he crowed, a blood-chilling cackle emerging from his throat, his breath fouling the air as he moved forward.

“Loose the horses and ponies,” Radagast murmured softly, his concern for the safety of the frightened animals.

“Ready yourselves,” shouted Alatar, looking towards Radagast and Belle. Combined, the Istari raised their staffs, producing a powerful arch of light. Carakgor roared and covered its eyes, its great body shuddering with the force.

“Now!” shouted Alatar, “Release your arrows, Rían, Melgir! On, on, brave Hobbits! Forward, good Ranger! Use your wiles, strong men of Middle-Earth, let your axe bite more than Orc necks, stalwart Dwarf!” the Blue Wizard roared.

Arrows flew, piercing the flesh of the creature as the small army rushed forward. “For home and family,” shouted the Hobbits. “For Middle-earth,” roared the Dwarf. “For peace,” called Melgir, Rian and Janell.

No braver site was witnessed as Hobbit swords flashed in unison with the axe of Káin. Raza, his companion and Janell rained blow after blow, cutting deep into the flesh of the creature. Carakgor bellowed in defiance, blood oozing from its nostrils. Raking wounds were inflicted from the creature’s claws as it retaliated against its attackers. Confused, bleeding and weakening with wound after wound inflicted on its lumbering hulk, Carakgor slowly, so slowly, felt its strength subside and it stumbled to its knees, shaking its head, trying to escape from its fate.

Finally, blood-soaked and dying, Carakgor lay before them. “How?” it croaked, its eyes dimming and bewildered.

As it took its last gasping breath, Alatar stood over the creature’s body. “Hope, and belief in good,” he said. “These are more powerful than magic or evil.” The Blue Wizard leaned closer to the creature’s head. “That was your undoing!”

Carakgor shuddered and lay still. All was quiet, then a noise to the side of them, made everyone turn and a figure appeared from the forest. It stumbled towards them, a hazy glow around it.

“Pallando!” Alatar muttered. “You dare to show yourself! Behold,” he said, moving the arm of the dead creature with his foot. “It is ended!”

Raza gasped at the sight of Pallando. “But I killed him!” he said, drawing his knife. Radagast shook his head, and motioned for the Southron to hold back.

Pallando fell to his knees and looked up at the faces around him then turned to Alatar. “I come to make peace, my friend,” he said to the Blue Wizard. “You did all that you could to turn me from the evil that filled me, and now consumes me. It is far too late to say it, but I am sorry.” He collapsed in a heap at Alatar’s feet.

Alatar knelt beside Pallando and cradled him in his arms as he faded into nothingness. Belle and Radagast clung to each other, grieving the passing of one of their number, and fearful of the judgment awaiting one who had so betrayed the Valar’s trust.

Over the ensuing months as the company aided Aragorn’s army, evil was again routed from Middle-earth, and peace returned.

Now there would be goodbyes. For with the return of peace, it was time for another sort of returning, returning home, back to families and friends.

(OOC. Hold with us dear readers. Our goodbyes will follow. We hope you have enjoyed our story. )
scots56
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2007 05:43
Farewells and New Beginnings

Barliman Butterbur didn’t even blink at the motley company that entered the Prancing Pony as the moon began to rise. Trade had been slow, and any increase would be welcome. “And what can I do for you, good Sirs?” he asked, amiably. Then he recognized the faces and his jaw dropped. Before the innkeeper could gather his thoughts, Belle put a finger to her lips for silence. “Rooms for us, good man, far away from your other patrons, “she said quietly. “And the use of your back gathering room.”

Elfstan tugged at Belle’s sleeve, and looked at her expectantly. “As much food and drink as you can spare for hungry travelers, and - oh, yes! Plenty of hot water for baths, later,” added the Green Istar, to the approving nods from Hobbit, Elf, Dwarf, Secondborn, Istari, and Southron alike. “But bring mine first!” she added, eyes twinkling.

Before Barliman could protest, one of the Rangers in the group tendered a small sack of gold coins. “I will pay you well for your service, good man, and add more to this if we are left in peace.”

Barliman blinked. No, that couldn’t be Aragorn; he was imagining things. Or was he? No matter; gold was gold. And if his sovereign was once again traveling in Ranger garb, best not to ask questions. The innkeeper clapped his hands for staff to take the company to their rooms. “I will tell the kitchen they will be working late tonight,” he added. He shuttered and barred the inn entrance, and turned to the company. “Yourselves are the only patrons tonight. The Prancing Pony is entirely at your disposal,” he said, bowing. He went off to count the gold coins with alacrity.

Barliman was as good as his word. A worthy repast was set in jig time in the back gathering room. The wine flowed freely, and afterwards, the smoke from several pipes filled the room with its half-bitter, half-sweet fragrance.

“So, my friends! Do we come to the end of one adventure, or the beginning of another?” asked Aragorn, standing before the fire, smiling. Then, soberly: “You have my gratitude forever for all you have done for me.”

Káin took a long pull on his pipe, blowing a stream of smoke into the air, and nodded. "And what else would you have expected, my Lord," he said, grinning at Aragon.

Radagast spoke. “The evil which threatened your kingdom has been vanquished, Sir King. I and Alatar purpose to go to the Gray Havens, and seek passage to our home.” He paused, and looked at his fellow Istar. “Our time here has passed, and the Age now beginning belongs to us not.”

Belle, puffing quietly away on her pipe, said nothing, but she was troubled at this remark. Well she remembered Gandalf’s remonstrating with Radagast that the ship that was to take the White Wizard and the Ringbearer to Aman might be the last. Would her brethren go to the Gray Havens in vain? Would they find it abandoned, and themselves without recourse?

The King only smiled. “If perchance you should change your minds, good Wizards, you would be most welcome in, or anywhere else in my lands.”

The Brown Istar and the Blue Istar bowed together. Radagast stole a glance at Belle, but her face betrayed no emotion.

“I will return to the Houses of Healing in Annúminas, Aragorn. I and Arnaud are committed to your service by those who sent us,” said Belle. She inclined her head respectfully. It was not yet her time to return to the Blessed Realm, and there would be much work for her to do in the new Age. “Rebuilding your kingdom is all the adventure I need!” she added, with a smile.

Finally, the day that everyone dreaded broke. The group of friends was now ready, after a few days rest at the Inn of the Prancing Pony, to make their respective ways to wherever they were heading.

Raza returned home to his wife, and news came to those friends who had remained in Middle~earth that he had named his next daughter Tanzy Belle Janell and his son Rían Elfstan Káin Gabby Melgir, in honour of his friends.

Janell and Melgir had decided to return to Minas Tirith. Along with them they were escorted by Fearakar. Janell had been told at the Prancing Pony that Fearakar was her brother. This made Janell very happy. She had always wanted a family.

Fearakar had to return to Minas Tirith to return to his duties. His position at Annúminas had been taken over by his second in command. Fearakar had to return to Minas Tirith to resume his position in training new recruits.

Janell wanted to go with him to get to know him better. She also wanted her father to stay. Melgir decided to stay in Middle earth to be with his family. They escorted Aragorn to be his guards on the trip.

Elfstan, Tanzy and Gabby began their short jaunt to the Shire. They were an odd sight to see. Three hobbits on ponies and one of them a lass. They were met with more than one curious glance as they passed other travelers on the road.

At first they were a bit subdued with thoughts of leaving their friends but then the irrepressible excitement of going home began to get to them. It began when Gabby began whistling a favorite tune often played at gatherings of all good hobbits. Their hearts began to lighten and soon they were laughing and remembering the many adventures they'd had together.

Gabby arrived at his home after departing company with Tanzy and Elfstan. His farm was a sight for sore eyes and glad he was to see it again. As he dismounted Charger and tied him to the fence by the house he heard humming coming from inside his house. Bemused by the thought of what ghost might have begun to haunt his home in his absence he opened the door of the humble home and to his surprise his friend's sister, Ella, was cleaning his home. She looked up from her sweeping as he came in and blushed to the roots of her curly hobbit hair. "I...they said you were on your way home. Some of those that passed you by on the road brought word. I wanted to make sure your place was in good shape for you." She blushed again. Gabby was bemused and then let out a hearty laugh.

It was not long after that Gabby sincerely courted the lass and he and Ella were married. Once a shy and retiring Hobbit farmer Gabby Harfoot became known as a man who could make up his mind very quickly and his Ella was known to blush when the shortness of their two week courtship was mentioned. "It was time to settle down," Gabby explained to those who raised their eyebrows.

As Tanzy rode over the last little hill leading to her hobbit hole, she saw three figures standing outside the door waving to her. She recognized them immediately and quickened her pony’s pace. Dismounting now, she ran into her father’s arms tears of joy and relief streaming down her face as he laughingly hugged her and spun her around. Calion and Veryo stood on either side of them smiling warmly and humming an Elven song.

As Tanzy suspected, their appearance at the Furfoot hobbit hole meant it was time to start the journey to retrieve her long lost mother, Rosie Furfoot. This was a tumultuous time for Tanzy and Bob Furfoot, filled with misgivings, anxiety, hopefulness and expectancy.

Arrangements had to be made, and they awaited the final message that would be brought by Wind Dancer, that would signal the beginning of this long awaited event.

Therefore it was with bittersweet joy and a much-needed distraction from the nerve-racking waiting, that Tanzy was called to travel with her good friends, Elfstan and Gabby, to accompany Rian to the Grey Havens.

Elfstan had returned to the Shire after a long absence to much renown although for him, this renown was bought at a great price. Elfstan’s dear father Togo had passed in his absence and the Hobbit carried his grief over the missed final days of his father ever afterward. A bit of that impish spark that had always been there before left Elfstan and in its place a more somber demeanor emerged that those who knew him best noticed. Elfstan’s journeys had changed him. The time had come for Elfstan to take up the mantle of head of household of the Fairbairn family of Waymoot, Westfarthing.

Ríanor Nénharma made two final journeys shortly after the return of the Company to their homes; the first of which was to visit his friend Káin one last time. Many a long talk the two friends had in their dwindling time together. Memories of the years of their friendship, of old prejudices long laid to rest and bonds of friendship that neither time nor distance could break passed between them.

When the time had come at last for Rían to depart from Middle Earth, he had one last request of his friend. “My time here in Middle Earth has come to an end. I go to the Gray Havens, and from there I will take the ships into the West.

“I would beg one favor of you, my friend. I wish not to travel that road alone. I would ask that you accompany me as I make my final journey. I know it is selfish of me to ask; you have obligations here I know, but my heart would rest easier if you would make that journey by my side. I will be asking the Hobbits to come with me as well. What do you say?”

Káin smiled at Rian. "I would have it no other way, laddie," the Dwarf said gruffly, rubbing his nose and clearing his throat.

Time flowed for Rían during this final journey as it does for all Elves; it seemed to pass as swiftly as a bird on the wing. Too soon the companions found themselves on Elfstan’s front door being greeted by all his many relations, and to Rían and Káin’s delight, Tanzy and Gabby. Rían perceived the change in Elfstan and was both saddened by the loss of the youth of the Hobbit, but at the same time, gladdened to see the Hobbit he had become. He also did not miss the glances stolen between Elfstan and a certain pretty young Hobbit lass of Waymoot.

A day or two after the travelers’ arrival, Káin, Rían, and the Hobbits walked in the fields of Elfstan’s farm. “My friends,” said Rían, “the time has come for me to take my leave of Middle Earth. My heart calls me to Valinor and now I must heed that call. I leave for the Havens on the morrow and ask for your companionship along my last journey to the West. Will you come?”

This was greeted by choruses of, “Yes, of course! You need not even ask.” Rían’s heart lightened somewhat at the thought of his passing into the West. It would not now be the lonely journey that he had feared. He would carry the love of these friends which would uphold him in the ages to come—long after those beloved friends had gone on.

And so the friends found themselves standing at the edge of the Gray Havens watching one of the last Elven ships slip quietly from Middle Earth. Rían stood at the stern of the ship watching his friends and former life slip into the mists of time. He would not forget.

The three Istari returned to Annúminas to give an accounting to their fellow-Istar Arnaud, and abide for a time in the Houses of Healing. From them Aragorn took much counsel, and also counsel gave. From the King’s city the Wizards departed to seek the Grey Havens, and passage thence to the Blessed Realm. The loremasters, however, do not record the fate of Radagast the Brown, Alatar the Blue, or Bellemaine the Green. It may be that they reached Aman and live, honored among the Maiar. And it may be they walk in Arda still.

Taking his leave of his friends at the Grey Havens for the last time, Káin turned Murnin towards the east for his long journey back to the Iron Hills. His father was gone now and the Dwarf was alone, but knowing that should the urge ever take him, he had friends in the Shire. Káin never married and died peacefully in his sleep some 40 years later. He was laid to rest by his father's grave. On occasion, visitors, descendants of his friends, Hobbits and Southrons, could be seen leaving flowers on the Dwarf's last resting place. .

The End

(OOC: The curtain has fallen, the theater silent, the memories linger forever. We hope that you have enjoyed our own little piece of Middle Earth.)

[Edited on 3/5/2007 by scots56]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email