Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
Post Jobs or Careers
on: November 28, 2005 01:35
I'm curious to see what everyone does to earn money, , whether you already have an established career or are just a part-time student.

This is a question more directed towards the students, do you like your job? I know most us in North America usually get jobs for the money so sometimes if the pay is good, but the job or manager is not...

As for me, I work for Safeway Canada, in the bakery. It's pretty good and the work is easy but I have to pay their union fees.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
Post RE: Jobs or Careers
on: November 29, 2005 07:37
Registered Nurse. Going back to school to become a Nurse Practitioner. Been working in the field so long I don't have any idea what else I could do to make money. Sometimes it feels like I'm going to be in school forever. Heh... I'm 53.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 02:16
I'm desperately trying to save my money for my study abroad in Japan so I have three different jobs and I love all of them. Most of my work is done in my colleges language resource center. Right now we're in the process of remodeling so there's lots of equipment to hook up and boxes to unpack. But usually it's a bunch of techy stuff (working course audio files, editing video, etc...) My other job is a notetaker. I get put in a class with a student who has some kind of handicap that prevents them from taking their own notes. And my last job is doing a little bit of office work in the support center.

And that's it. All three pay minimum wage which really stinks, but it's a lot better than working off-campus because hours are much more flexible and the location is convienent. Just as long as I get to Japan, I'm a happy gal. All my co-workers and bosses are great too.
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: December 07, 2005 05:45
Japan, wow, TLA! That sounds awesome. Oh, think of all unique cultural indulgences and the beautiful spring cherry blossoms. *Is insanely jealous* Since you're going, do you know the language and how to write with the kanji letters?

The department I work in is seriously understaffed. Not enough people and too many jobs where I live.

Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2005 04:57
I'm in college now, but I'm applying to PhD programs so hopefully I'll be in graduate school next year. My major is microbiology, I want a career in academic research, specifically in the field of parasitology. I've always found tropical diseases really interesting.
Vanyariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 16, 2005 05:54
I'm a bartender, but I am in school for massage therapy. I rather like massage, but what I really should have gone to school for is web design! :love: Ah well, perhaps when I pay off my massage school loan I can take out a new one and go to school for that.
fogriipus
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 17, 2005 06:59
Well, I'm still studying, third year at university, but now it starts to seem that I actually will become what is the intention, an astronomer. A researcher, that is. My minor subjects are physics, theoretical physics and maths. :love:
~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~
Queen of the Dark Nine
Send Message
on: January 20, 2006 02:38
I'm taking a few courses now, just to get a bit better grades.
I'm hoping to apply for either the Police Academy here in Norway or the the psycology-studies at the University of Limerick or Trinity College in Ireland or the University of Oslo here in Norway Or the acting-course at the Nordic Institute for Scene and Studio. Who knows I don't yet..

[Edited on 21/1/2006 by ~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~]
AEvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2006 06:56
I'm a student at University majoring in German and Russian. I don't work during term as I just don't have the time however during the holidays I work for a company who host special events, sporting, political and musical.
I have worked backstage at a U2 concert and an Oasis concert, I've worked at a stall at T in the Park, supervised one of the marquee's at The St Andrews' Golf Open in the summer, been a wine waitress at various other sporting events from horse racing, including Royal Ascot, to football.

As of September I will be teaching English in a German school though, which is quite scary.
Lyna
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Jobs or Careers
on: January 14, 2013 03:09
I am an Independent Beauty Consultant, with Mary Kay Cosmetics©.
True joy, is found at the Master’s feet.
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 24, 2013 09:00
my job is taking care of my animals! lol. i have so many! it takes like 30 minutes! When i grow up though, me and Mareth_Ravenlock are going to start a LOTR townish type thing. We will live like Hobbits! I will home school like my mom does.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I currently have no job, but I will be applying for one soon, on maybe two nights or three a week.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I also do not have a job, but I am applying to Dunkin Doughnuts because it's right near my school. I'll be able to walk/bike there and work right after school and later on weekends.
"A sprinter learning to wait."
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
I currently work at McDonald's! Yay! *note sarcasm* It's a job that makes money, it pays for my car and school supplies so I;m not complaining. But I'm graduating from college in a couple months with an AAS in Graphic Design! I might go back to get my Bachelor's but I don't know yet. I'm under a lot of stress right now with all these decisions I have to make in the next couple weeks. Hopefully someday I'll get a job working as an independent designer or with an ad agency.
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2014 12:10
Legolas23 said:my job is taking care of my animals! lol. i have so many! it takes like 30 minutes! When i grow up though, me and Mareth_Ravenlock are going to start a LOTR townish type thing. We will live like Hobbits! I will home school like my mom does.

Hobbits and Rangers.

I don't have a job right now. :/
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Getting a job where I live is not very easy, even with Disney just up the road. Companies here want their workers to speak two languages, English and Spanish. Someone with less experience than I have, who speaks two languages, will be the one who gets hired.

Speaking Elvish does not count..
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
^^ That really stinks. We're Americans. Our founders are British. We speak English. Period. We should't have to be so accommodating to the Mexican immigrants, many of which come here illegally. It is THEM who should learn OUR language!

Sorry. I had to say how I feel
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Come 11 April of this year, I will have been with my company 35 years. First contact was - err - something like trainee (chemistry - I was really quite good in the lab - practical stuff) - middle of October 1975, so that is more than 38 years. Things very probably have changed in Germany a bit (???) since way back when (and the change has been for the worse, a gauntlet I will take up against anyone, including my CEO!). Probably sounds a lot like Japan for some people, people who have no idea at all what Japan (umm - neither do I - though I was in South Korea for eight months) or, closer to home, Sweden is all about. As far as I know, we do not have a disaster city like Detroit in Germany. I just find it just so distressing that the country I lived in and loved from 1966 to 1975 has in some parts degenerated to the Third World (thank you very much, Dubya!!!)

[Edited on 03/06/2014 by Gandolorin]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, two languages up here too. Darn, Sindarin doesn't count! Being so close to the border, my French has come in handy maybe five times, but, whatever.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I REALLY REALLY REALLY need a job!!!!! :/ But Dunkin isn't hiring and McDee's isnt either. I kinda wanna work at Wegmans but, you have to have a person you know there already!! Ugh, I hate looking for jobs! I NEED money though!
"A sprinter learning to wait."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
If you can get a ride to West Seneca, they are building two Tim Hortons and a NoCo?Dunkin duplex on Orchard park Road. Guess who is applying in summer!?!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email