Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: The smell of the sea (Permission by PM only - please see OOC before joining)
on: February 15, 2006 07:07
"I think it will do very well, Tulcaráto. Let's set up camp while there's still enough daylight left." Manveru dismounted, reaching up for Earwen's waist and easing her to the ground.

While his old friend helped Earwen, Tulcaráto busied himself with assisting Drandwen to the ground, and taking a moment to check on her horse. - But, as he commented to her, "Mahtar is doing much better, I think," the ellon then turned to unload his own horse. - After which, he took both mounts to the stream for watering... and then set them loose to graze.

For a while, he stood there... aware of the peaceful quiet of this place... and though Manveru had 'agreed' with him, the grey-eyed elf still felt 'uneasy' about the forest. With a sigh, Tulcaráto was thinking about rejoining the others when his friend chanced to approach him.

"Tulcaráto, tomorrow we will be heading over open ground until we reach Nan Tathren...and finally the river. I fear we must keep an open eye for whatever dangers may arise. I know you have had misgivings about traveling so close to the edge of the forest but I have the same fears about traveling in the open, where there is no shelter from the vision of others. I think we must stop for no more than a moment tomorrow until tomorrow night when we must find some kind of shelter, be it only scrub brush. It will not be until the next night after then that we reach the Valley of the Willows."

"As you wish," Tulcaráto commented, "Though, in the open, so is our sight better. I do not like the 'closeness' of the forest, that is so. - I prefer to be where anything that might bother us can be seen earlier."

After he'd spoken his thoughts, Manveru returned to the fire... and after a time, so did he.

When they two horned moon was rising in the east, the group bedded down for the night. Manveru had chosen to take first watch.

Uneasily asleep, the instant he felt a 'tap' on his shoulder, Tulcaráto was alert.

"Listen carefully. I believe we may have company coming...and they're not far from us."

Straining his elven senses to their utmost, Tulcaráto nodded... hearing what (he suspected) his old friend had. "We should wake the ellith," he whispered back, "and get the horses ready. Earwen and Drandwen can't fight - but if needed, they can take themselves and the horses to safety."

With that said, as he waited for Manveru's response, and with a stealth he'd not used since the last time he was in battle, Tulcaráto rose and fetched his sword. Tensed, and ready for what might be coming, his eyes searched the darkened forest for the first sign of attack...
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: KEEP: The smell of the sea (Permission by PM only - please see OOC before joining)
on: February 17, 2006 05:26
Earwen's sleep was light and she was awake in an instant when Manveru gently shook her shoulder. "What's wrong?" she asked, sitting upright.

Manveru explained about the danger that was approaching and once she listened carefully, Earwen could hear it, too. The footsteps were heavy and you could already feel a very slight vibration of the ground. "They are close," she said, fear apparent in her voice and eyes.

In her mind she saw a different situation. Maglor had come to her in much the same way - woken her up at night and told her that the castle was being attacked. He had given her a sword and told her to try and stay out of trouble. It had not taken long before she had had to use it. Full of fear she had worked herself to where her sons fought and seen their death.

She swallowed hard, then looked at Manveru again and said, "Please, don't let me use a sword.... I know I am not much help, but... I couldn't ... not after what happened..." Manveru took her into his arms and reassured her that she and Drandwen were to stay with the horses, and ride to safety if need be.

Earwen nodded, then helped Manveru to ready the horses and she and Drandwen were not mounted to soon, through the trees it was possible to see a first glimps of who was approaching them. Orks.

Manveru and Tulcárato seemed to be ready, and stood, waiting for the band to get closer. Earwen watched, her heart pounding in her chest, her throat dry and her eyes wide with fear. But there was also something else, slowly rising to the surface - anger. Because of those foul creatures of Melkor her sons had died... With mixed feelings she sat upon her horse, waiting, not sure what to do. Next to her Drandwen was urging her to follow her to safety, but Earwen ignored her for the moment. She only moved her horse back gradually and slowly.

And then she could see them - a band of orcs, not too big and yet enough to make her shiver. Manveru and Tulcárato needed help - for sure...She would not be able to watch someone dear to her die again. If she had to stand by and watch one more friend, one more loved one die in front of her eyes she knew she would kill herself.

Drandwen seemed to have had enough of trying to argue with Earwen and just took her horse's reins and led her to a safer place not too far away, from which point they could still see what was going on, but were unlikely to be noticed.

(ooc: it's not much, but the fight can begin)
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: February 17, 2006 11:14
When Manveru had awakened Tulcaráto, he watched as Tulcaráto nodded after listening for a moment and hearing the same sounds.

. "We should wake the ellith," he whispered back, "and get the horses ready. Earwen and Drandwen can't fight - but if needed, they can take themselves and the horses to safety."

Manveru nodded his head and quietly went to Earwen and Drandwen, waking both of them as well, cautioning them to silence. Drandwen said nothing but Earwen spoke quickly, fear in her voice.

"They are close. Please, don't let me use a sword.... I know I am not much help, but... I couldn't ... not after what happened..."

Manveru lifted her to her feet and held her shoulders in his arm, holding her against his chest. He had so hoped to make this journey without trouble of this kind, though the chances of that had been slim from the beginning, yet he knew what Earwen had already suffered enough and wanted nothing more than to bring her safely to Círdan.

"No, you do not need to wield a sword. What I want both you and Drandwen to do is mount your own horses and take the reins of Tulcaráto's and mine....back away from here into deeper cover. Keep the horses quiet as possible. Tulcaráto and I will deal with this. However," and here he hesitated, continuing sternly, "should we fall, you and Drandwen are to ride..and ride hard.. for Nan Tathren. You will not make it by morning but you will be far enough away from this 'whatever it is' to be out of danger. You must promise me that you will do that!" he looked sternly into her eyes.

Between the four of them, they had the horses saddled and the packs tied to their backs in moments, then while Tulcaráto assisted Drandwen, Manveru lifted Earwen onto her horse, taking her hand in his and squeezing it. "Go! Go now." he said to both of them, turning away from them to reach his sword, still laying next to the tree where he had been keeping watch.

Not a moment too soon, it seemed, as a small band of roving orcs came into view through the trees. They stopped, eyeing the two elves with surprise, then yelling in their gravelly voices, they ran towards Manveru and Tulcaráto with their crooked swords raised.

Manveru glanced at Tulcaráto, commenting, "There seems to be less than half a dozen, fortunately. Let's hope they have no friends behind them," he said as he raised his sword and clashed with the first orc to reach him. As the orc raised his sword again, Manveru dipped low and came up under the orc's blade, successfully slashing the orc's neck. His falling did not stop the next orc, who climbed over him, his sword swinging in the air just missing Manveru's head. Manveru fell back a step, raising his sword to block another swing by the orc. He took a second to glance towards Tulcaráto which was a mistake. A second orc came up on his other side, and the swing of his sword caught Manveru in his left shoulder. The sharp pain almost dropped him to his knees but he held his feet, driving his sword through the orc in front of him, pulling the blade out quickly enough to swing it to his left, where he knocked the orc aside but did not kill him. Still, it gave Manveru a second's breathing time and the opportunity to regain his footing. It took several more moments and a lot of parrying with this last orc, who appeared better trained than most of his type, but Manveru, now bleeding profusely from his shoulder, finally got the upper hand long enough to drive his blade through the orc, felling him on top of another.

Manveru was breathing deeply as he checked to see how Tulcaráto was doing and noted he had just felled the last orc. Sighing in relief, Manveru's legs gave out and he fell to his knees, dropping his sword and holding his shoulder instead. Always humorous, even at the worst of times, he glanced up at Tulcaráto, smiling through his pain. "Well, that was fun. We should do this more often, just to keep in shape," he said, as the world went black and he fell to the ground.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2006 12:26
Drandwen was frightened. Roused from a healthy sleep to a nightly terror of attacking orcs, she felt her heart beating heavily. Instantly, the memories of the night so many Laiquendi were slaughtered by a whole Batallion of Morgoth's orcs came back to her, as did the fear. Still hearing the screms of the children that had no chance standing against the heartless brutes, the elleth obediently followed Manveru to the horses Tulcarato had already brought together. She was helped up, and there she sat, her trembling fingers holding the reins of Mahtar and Tulcarato's mount. Swallowing hard, she avoided to look in any of the ellyn's eyes, not willing to show them her fears. It would only distract them.

"Come, Earwen, let's go," she urged the other elleth that seemed unwilling to leave.

The foul creatures were so close she Drandwen could even smell them. Mahtar trembled under her. Apparently, the horse had bad memories about orcs, too. Drandwen took the reins of both horses in her right hand and caressed the grey neck of the warhorse, trying to calm him down.

"Go! Go now!" Manveru said. But Liswen remained where she was. Drandwen, holding Mahtar steady, tried to persuade her to come, but the other elleth just wouldn't listen. Drandwen got desperate. Didn't she see?! The both of them were a distraction to the ellyn! They couldn't concentrate on the battle if they had to worry about their companions! And they would worry, they would. Drandwen didn't even notice when it happened that the fears were gone, she just tok the reins of Manveru's horse from Earwen, spurred Mahtar in a trot and led the three horses away, where she still could follow the battle but be too far to disturb the fighters. Maybe Earwen was one of the ellith who did know how to fight... Unlike her.

Drandwen had enough job keeping all the horses steady and with her during the fight. It loked like the animals wanted to take part, too! Still, she managed to follow the action with the corner of her eyes. Her heart trembling, she watched Manveru and Tulcarato engage with the orcs that had outnumbered them significantly, but the ellyn worked miracles, she was sure. They moved as swift as a lightning and stroke as precisely as Valar. Drandwen's knuckles were white and stiff from the force she was holding the reins and the tension.

The orcs fell, one after another. The last one went down from Tulcarato's sword, when Drandwen saw Manveru dropping. Drandwen let the other horses' reins go. A scream silent in her throat, she spurred Mahtar to hurry back to them, but Earwen was closer. Leaping from the horse's back, Drandwen hurt her ankle but didn't even notice it. Manveru was bleeding, but he was smiling, he was all right! And then, he fell down...

Drandwen gasped. Earwen and Tulcarato were instantly at Manveru's side, and Drandwen swirled around to get Tulcarato's bag. She knew he might need it. And then, she hurried back to them, praying all the Valar that Manveru would be all right! Not another death!

[Edited on 18/2/2006 by Nifredil]
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 18, 2006 08:37
Manveru’s sword clashed with the first orc to reach him. As the orc raised his sword again, Manveru dipped low and came up under the orc's blade, successfully slashing the orc's neck. His falling did not stop the next orc, who climbed over him, his sword swinging in the air just missing Manveru's head. Manveru fell back a step, raising his sword to block another swing by the orc. He took a second to glance towards Tulcaráto which was a mistake. A second orc came up on his other side, and the swing of his sword caught Manveru in his left shoulder. Earwen let out a scream and if they had not been at a distance the orcs would have been sure to notice them. Manveru swayed but he held his feet, driving his sword through the orc in front of him, pulling the blade out quickly enough to swing it to his left, where he knocked the orc aside but did not kill him. Still, it gave Manveru a second's breathing time and the opportunity to regain his footing. It took several more moments and a lot of parrying with this last orc, who appeared better trained than most of his type, but Manveru, now bleeding profusely from his shoulder, finally got the upper hand long enough to drive his blade through the orc, felling him on top of another. Earwen gasped when she saw all the blood, then got down from her horse, which was still held by Drandwen and ran towards Manveru.

While she was still running she could see how Manveru's legs gave out and he fell to his knees, dropping his sword and holding his shoulder instead. He still said something which she could not understand and then he fell to the floor like a dead weight. Not long afterwords she had reached his side and looked into his face, pale from the loss of blood. Earwen was not thinking clearly, before her eyes she saw her sons fall, the others – there was only death and now it was Manveru… She took him by the shoulders, not noticing where the wound was and began shaking him, screaming, “You cannot die! No, not you, too! Come back!”

Then she noticed all the blood on her hands and dress and she ceased the shaking. Unbelievingly she stared down at her hands and dress, then she screamed “NOOOOOO!” while already sobbing uncontrollably. She could feel how Tulcárato gently, but firmly took her by the shoulders and moved her out of the way, reassuring her that Manveru would be alright.

First, Earwen stood by and watched how Tulcárato and Drandwen started treating Manveru’s wound, then she could not bear it any longer and ran blindly into the forest. It was not long though before she dropped to the ground, hugging her knees, rocking back and forth and crying. There were different voices in her head, praying, hoping, disbelieving, but one voice was growing stronger. That voice clearly said – “It is enough Earwen – it is time to join your family…” But she did not want to do that yet. She wanted to know that Manveru was alright….

She had lost track of time, but after what seemed a long time, she heard footsteps coming towards her. She sighed, praying that it was either Tulcárao or Drandwen coming to tell her that everything would be all right.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: February 23, 2006 06:02
Manveru glanced at Tulcaráto, commenting, "There seems to be less than half a dozen, fortunately. Let's hope they have no friends behind them," he said as he raised his sword and clashed with the first orc to reach him.

In a grim agreement, Tulcaráto charged at the orc nearest him, meeting the beast's blade with a clash of his own. A whirl, and in a cloud of night-black hair, the ellon struck again… leaping sideways to escape having his opponent's viciously curved weapon from making more than a scratch on his left arm. Giving a battle-cry the ellon then lost track of time as he fought… receiving a few other small wounds, but nothing life-threatening as he faced, and felled his 'share' of the orcs.

When the last one fell, his chest heaving, Tulcaráto turned back to his friend… and then dropped his sword when the other began to crumple.

Always humorous, even at the worst of times, he glanced up at Tulcaráto, smiling through his pain. "Well, that was fun. We should do this more often, just to keep in shape," he said, as the world went black and he fell to the ground.

"Manveru!" Tulcaráto gasped, and bent to check his friend's wound, and then Earwen ran up. She took him by the shoulders, not noticing where the wound was and began shaking him, screaming, “You cannot die! No, not you, too! Come back!”

"Earwen!" Tulcaráto's voice was gentle, and yet firm, as he took her shoulders and moved the elleth back, and out of his way.

Drandwen swirled around to get Tulcarato's bag. She knew he might need it. And then, she hurried back to them,

"Thank you," the ellon acknowledged her help, and at first, Drandwen began aiding him. Yet…

she screamed “NOOOOOO!” while already sobbing uncontrollably.

"Go to her, Drandwen, and see if you can calm her - please?" Tulcaráto asked, and then turned back to his friend. Baring the wound, the ellon winced. No Healer was he, but he'd dealt with battle-wounds aplenty, and immediately set to work. Slathering the slice with salve, both for healing, and to help with pain, the elf then bound it against any further bleeding.

And then, turning back to the ellith, "Earwen!" he called, knowing the two were the best of friends, "Bring me some cold water, please!" and to Drandwen, "Would you get the fire going? - I've an herb to heat that will aid him, too," Tulcaráto added, and lifting Manveru's shoulders, he gently slapped his friend's face. "Wake up you fool!" he half-teased. "I'm not letting you die tonight! Tomorrow I might change my mind, but *not* now! Wake up, Manveru! You need the water!"

[Edited on 24/2/2006 by gwendeth]
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 09:05
"Wake up you fool!" he half-teased. "I'm not letting you die tonight! Tomorrow I might change my mind, but *not* now! Wake up, Manveru! You need the water!"

Manveru could hear Tulcarato's voice ordering a fire and water but could not bring himself to open his eyes. He wanted to sleep, sleep and never open his eyes again. His shoulder hurt unbearably, even with whatever it was Tulcarato had put on it...and he had been aware of him doing it, before the pain caused his world to go black once again.

But he heard Tulcarato's last comments and chuckled, wincing as he did so. "Now what would make you change your mind tomorrow? Was I not a good boy today?" He fell back into the blackness until he felt warm liquid being poured into his mouth, his throat choking as he tried to swallow. The warmth spread through his body and when he drifted off this time, the pain did not bother him as much and he wanted only to rest a while, just a little while.

When he opened his eyes, it was because the sun was disturbing his sleep, shining directly on his face. He was reasonably comfortable as he seemed to be laying on soft blankets and covered with another one. He turned his head to the right and saw in the distance the pile of dead orcs against a tree. It was not a pretty sight so he looked the other way. Tulcarato and the elf maidens were sitting by a small fire and the aroma of something good wafted in his direction. Looking at the height of the sun, he calculated that it must be almost mid-day.

"What's for lunch?" he asked, and found his voice was hoarse and barely above a whisper but in the quiet of the wood, it was enough to attract the attention of his three companions.

(OOC: Short but didn't know what else to say at this point. Somebody feed me..........*grins*)
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 12:05
Hearing Earwen screaming and seeing her running away weeping uncontrollably, Drandwen stood as if planted in the ground, staring at her, feeling despair raising up in her as a mountain lake in spring.

Tulcarato's voice brought her back to reality. She was needed, she had to help. Pushing the flooding feeling aside, Drandwen hurried after Earwen. She knelt down beside the weeping elleth and put her hand on Earwen's shoulder.

"Earwen? It's me, Drandwen... Come, there is a lot to do to help Tulcarato heal Manveru..." she let her hand stroke the crying elleth's head and back gently, trying to give her some comfort. SHe could well imagine what her already disturbed inner world was experiencing.

A sound nearby alerted her. What if there still was one of those fell creatures? Lurking....

Finally, she got Earwen up. Instead of doing as Tulcarato had told them, the ellith did everything together - fetched water and got the fire going. Drandwen felt beeter keeping an eye on Earwen, but the other elleth seemed to have overcome herself and was working seriously, casting a glance at Tulcarato and Manveru time after time. The fire had been made in a distance from where the ellyn were now, to be as far as possible from the dead orcs that were still lying all around. Their stench was disgusting... Drandwen hoped Tulcarato would decide that Manveru could be moved and would bring him away from those... those....

Soon the water was hot enough, and Earwen brought the pot to Tulcarato who began working with his herbs. Drandwen checked on the horses, talking to each them calmly, caressing them, telling them that everything was to be all right.... The animals had smelled the orcs and the blood and were nervous. Her own fngers were trembling, but she was managing to stay calm and alert.
We still remember, we who dwell In this far land, beneath the trees The starlight on the Western seas...
In the Realm of Ulmo
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 26, 2006 06:56
Earwen had lost track of time, when she suddenly heard someone approaching. Soon she felt someone put a hand non her shoulder. "Earwen? It's me, Drandwen... Come, there is a lot to do to help Tulcarato heal Manveru...". Altough Earwen heard the gentle words, she could not stop crying yet. She was aware that Drandwen was gently stroking her head and back. For some reason Earwen felt comforted by the other elleth, just like by a friend.

She did not protest when Drandwen finally dragged her up and let her back to where Tulcárato was still working on Manveru. Swallowing another wave of tears, Earwen just set herself into motion, doing everything that Tulcárato asked with Drandwen. While she was working, her mind seemed to stop and she at least had some rest of that. Again and again she glance over at Manveru, the tension in her mind and body almost unbearable – and every time she hoped to hear his dear voice and be done with this pain in her chest.

When the water was finally hot enough, Earwen brought the pot to Tulcarato, watching him work and doing everything he told her to. When there was nothing more for her to do, she sat back and mumbled a prayer for Manveru’s recovery. Repeating the words over and over kept her mind from thinking and her eyes dry until she finally heard what she had been waiting for for such a long time.

"What's for lunch?" he asked, his voice was hoarse and barely above a whisper but in the quiet of the wood, it was enough to attract the attention of his three companions. Earwen jolted upright, joy all over her face and was immediately at Manveru’s side. The relief was clearly written on her face, but she did not say a word, instead took his hand in hers, giving it a light squeeze. Then she got up and went through the packages for something to eat.

With Drandwen’s help they soon had a decent meal in front of them, which they all ate hungrily – everyone being glad about Manveru’s way to recovery and that they all had survived, but still very alert and already thinking about leaving this place as soon as possible. Eying Manveru during the meal, Earwen hoped he would be able to ride, soon.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 03, 2006 09:28
"What's for lunch?"

Earwen was at his side almost as soon as the words left his mouth, taking his hand in hers and giving it a light squeeze. She was gone as quickly as she had come, however, to prepare him a bowl of something. Manveru lay there watching the two maidens and Tulcarato, happy to be alive but still in a lot of pain. Struggling, he tried to lift himself to a sitting position, but dropped back almost immediately, beads of sweat breaking out on his head from the effort.

"Tulcarato, give me a hand, please. I seem to be having a bit of a problem here." With the ellon's aid, he was finally in a sitting position, his back against the trunk of a tree. When Earwen handed him a bowl, he discovered he was starving and wolfed it down in a few bites. Trying to lift the water skin was another problem and he asked for a mug. He was feeling most annoyed at this inconvenience as he knew they could not stay here for another night. They would have to leave soon, while the sun was still high, in order to make as much of a path across the open land as they could by nightfall. Still, he wondered if his shoulder would allow him to ride long and hard.

Struggling again, he attempted to stand, but dizziness overtook him at once and he fell back down against the tree, jarring his injured shoulder. A moan escaped his lips which he hoped no one had heard. He didn't want to place his friends in danger and knew he must get on his feet sooner than later. Calling softly to Tulcarato, who came to his side immediately, he explained his problem.

"We must leave this forest while the sun is still shining. If we stay another night, we chance discovery by other orcs. Yet my shoulder has been wounded more than I thought, and I will need your help in mounting my horse. Can you get everything ready, and then come to me and aid me in climbing on that beast?"

He watched as the three packed everything and tied the bags behind the newly saddled horses. The evidence of their campfire was hidden and all sign of their stay was wiped away, other than, of course, the pile of dead orcs. When the others were ready to leave, Tulcarato came to Manveru, lifting him as gently as possible to his feet and supporting him to the side of his horse.

Manveru winked at the ellon and said, "Well, here is where we find just how able I am. Give my foot a lift." With his boot in Tulcarato's hands, and only the use of his one good arm, Manveru hoisted himself into the saddle, wincing as his wounded shoulder was jarred yet again. But he was seated and that he considered a good start.

"I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Let us make good time from these cursed woods."
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2006 02:06
"Leave?"

"Yes sire."

"Leave?"

"Yes highness."

"Glorfindel rise and refrain from changing your terms of address for me."

"Yes my lord."

Erenion Gil-galad sighed and ran his hand back through his hair, before surveying the elf stood before. Fresh of face and bright eyed, Glorfindel Ingold stood so straight in front of his King it seemed inevitability that he would strain something. His posture and expression were almost comic, if it had not been for the dark times which had given rise to the situation of both stood there. Both had lost their families and been thrust unduly into the light of responsibility. However somehow, the relationship between Gil-galad and Glorfindel was as it always had been, master and servant.

For this is what Glorfindel was, the holder of presdigious title, but neither the age or experience to use it properly. Gil-galad had to wonder at times for whose benefit, his father had paired the two of them to be sent to Balar. On one hand for any member of the Noldorian Royal Family these were perilous times. However for Glorfindel, a novice warrior and inexperienced noble hanging at a loose end? Both did not make for comfortable lives in Hithluim so, somehow both had ended up on the Isle of Balar, one expecting it's destiny, the other serving, both out of the way.

The fall of Gondolin had changed all that, suddenly the Isle had become very much the centre of things, and Gil-galad suddenly found himself as King. For Glorfindel too things had changed, for his beloved mother Lady Illia Ingold had gone to the Mouths of the Sirion to ease the sufferings of the refugees gathered there. For Glorfindel to be parted from her it was hard, but with little sister Ailia in his care and the new developments and rumours of a Silmaril came about, he had grown restless and wary for her.

This tension had culminated in the young Lord coming before his King and friend to request leave to go to the Mouths of the Sirion to see her. Normally loath would the King have been to relinquish anyone of his followers to a journey, but the servants of Morgoth now moved freely throughout Beleriand and no power of the Elves and Edain could contain them. Now as the High King of the Noldor surveyed the restless swaying and shifting of this elfling he could see clearly Glorfindel's desire for this task.

"Glorfindel" he began, and as he did the elf sprang to attention over balanced and keeled over with a thud, "Glorfindel, you may go, but here is my condition. You must have two travelling companions, for they say 'Three's Company.' Only if you can do this may you go, for the times are perilous to be abroad alone in the wild."

Shaking his head as Glorfindel scrabbled to his feet and bowed clumsily. Several seconds passed and neither moved, then it clicked.

"You are excused Glorfindel," Gil-galad groaned, looking up at the ceiling, to avoid seeing te shuffling form of the elf lord (still bowed) back towards the door.

There came a slight thud and groan as Glorfindel encountered the door and groped to open it with one hand, whilst still crouching to floor level. A shuffle and a click indicated that he had finally left the room.

Finally groaning, Gil-galad sank into a chair by the window and looked out accross the bay. Already on the beach below he could see the elf lord tearing at full pelt accross the courtyard and down to the beach below. His targets were clear, two figures on the beach.

"Poor them," the High King smiled and chuckled to himself.

****************************************************************************************************

Far below on the beach, Glorfindel skidded to a halt in front of the conversing pair of elfs. An observer might have noticed that they seemed to be in the middle of a rather depth and private conversation. An observer, however, was something Glorfindel was not.

"Hail and well met would you per chance like the once in a life time chance to accompany me on a mission for his majesty Gil-galad son of Fingon son of Fingolfinto-the-Mouths-of-the-Sirion," somehow Glorfindel managed to say all of that in one breath, before collapsing onto the shingle panting and heaving for breath, then he finished off by saying, "Glorfindel Ingold, lord of the House of Fingolfin, at your service."

(ooc: here's a VERY VERY young Glorfindel )

[Edited on 5/3/2006 by LoremasterMiar]

[Edited on 7/3/2006 by LoremasterMiar]
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 05, 2006 03:10
The day was getting cooler, and Nayru seemed keen to be indoors, rubbing her arms through the thin gauzy material of her dress.

"Would you like to head back to where it's warm?"

Sûlfëa looked up from where she had been rotating her ankle around in the sand, drawing idle circles with pointed toes.

"Yes, let's." she nodded, and pulled her own light scarf closer against the salty spray while undoing the soft shawl around her waist, a pale yellow interspersed with gradients of gold and pink, the colour of the sunset to match Sûlfëa's tawny dress of autumnal colours - she usually kept one there, for reasons she herself could not remember apart from the fact "It was habit". Possibly a dancer's thing. One never knew when another shawl would come in handy if only for mock seduction of a member of the audience. She offered the scant protection to her friend for the long walk back.

For all the cold and the whipping wind the two of them set a rather leisurely pace back to Cirdan's dwelling, Nayru still staring at her feet, violet eyes apparently dead to the world to all appearances as she sank back into bitter thoughts, Sûlfëa occasionally sketching a half-move with her lithe feet.

It was at that moment she felt first, rather than heard, someone coming up behind them. The speed of his or her approach showed in the way the breeze picked up even more and the sand transmitted pounding vibrations from someone's feet hitting the sand at an alarming rate.

Sûlfëa turned to Nayru, a quizzical look on her face, but the other elleth had scarce looked up at Sûlfëa's gaze when a young elf, panting and breathless and flushed with excitement, caught up with them. And before either of them could say anything, he launched into what sounded like a long string of near-incohenrent syllables.

"Hail and well met would you perchance like the one in a lifetime chance to accompany me on a mission for his majesy Gil-galad son of Fingon son of Fingolfin to-the-Mouths-of-the-Sirion," somehow Glorfindel managed to say all of that in one breath, before collapsing onto the shingle panting and heaving for breath, then he finished off by saying, "Glorfindel Ingold, lord of the House of Fingolfin, at your service."

Glofindel Ingold… The name rang a bell, but she could not really remember where and under what circumstances she had heard it.

“Well, young lord, if you would indeed like to be at our service you could make it clear what exactly it is.” She quipped, straight-faced.

[Edited on 11/3/2006 by BerethEdhellen]
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2006 11:32
"Pray forgive my haste lady," Glorfindel, despite still panting heavily, adjusted his posture to the correct pose the occasion, upright and tall, "I have, this very minute by chance, come from an audience with his Majesty, Gil-galad, son of Fingon, son of Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, with a most urgent task. My lord has given me leave to partake of a venture to the Mouths of the Sirion, where my mother, the Lady Kayla Ingold does dwell. Of course, being such dangerous times, his majesty has wisely chosen to assign me two traveling companions of my choice. I would therefore be highly honored if you and your good friend, could accompany me to the Mouths."

All delivered perfectly respectfully, however all the while, the elfling was hopping from one foot to the other in plain excitement, full of the energy and joy of a brand new quest.

Even if it was just to see his mum.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 12, 2006 04:35
[OOC: Eesh! he's *cute*. >< Little Glorfindel's like some of the kids I work with when we do community service, haha. So excitable!]

"Pray forgive my haste lady," Glorfindel, despite still panting heavily, adjusted his posture to the correct pose the occasion, upright and tall, "I have, this very minute by chance, come from an audience with his Majesty, Gil-galad, son of Fingon, son of Fingolfin, High King of the Noldor, with a most urgent task. My lord has given me leave to partake of a venture to the Mouths of the Sirion, where my mother, the Lady Kayla Ingold does dwell. Of course, being such dangerous times, his majesty has wisely chosen to assign me two traveling companions of my choice. I would therefore be highly honored if you and your good friend, could accompany me to the Mouths."

All delivered perfectly respectfully, however all the while, the elfling was hopping from one foot to the other in plain excitement, full of the energy and joy of a brand new quest.

That, Sûlfëa thought, quite amusedly, was one fidgety elfling. He almost reminded her of some of her childhood playmates in Doriath... like Daeron... the minstrel had used to be so cheerful, so... so *bouncy*, before... This Glorfindel exuded an aura of yet untainted innocence, of joy and life and good cheer, and yes, impatience and excitement. She did not want to disappoint him; it would be like kicking a puppy. But still... he was asking her to go back to the mainland, when she had just said her last goodbyes and was getting ready to leave... That was one proposition that was not really agreeing with her.

She looked at Nayru, half a right eyebrow cocked in an unspoken question.

[OOC: Sorry short post - am being chased off comp yet again. Not at home right now, term break just began and ironically I'm busier than ever. I promise I'll take more time in the future! gah.]
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: March 13, 2006 02:42
Sûlfëa looked at Nayru, half a right eyebrow cocked in an unspoken question. Nayru glanced back with a somewhat startled look in her eyes. She was supposed to tell this young gentleman that they most likely would have to turn down his proposal? Glorfindel had come off very eager to the singer, full of excitement and perhaps a little rash. Still he reminded her of Daeron, the great minstrel that had helped her in developing her talent. But he had disappeared... Wouldn't Glorfindel prefer the company of fellow men? There had to be other soldiers or warriors who could accompany him...

Naryu nibbled on her lip. Sûlfëa was waiting for her brother...to sail across the sea and forever leave these lands. Nayru stayed, because...she wasn't ready to return home, far from ready. And, she liked it here. Living by the sea and writing and singing her music.

"My lord Glorfindel," Nayru began, "do you not feel that your proposition is ... abrupt? These lands are still dangerous, and I am not so adept at fighting, should we be attacked." Yet, she didn't like or want to disappoint the excited young fellow, who was so hopeful.

Sudden, spontaneous actions and decisions seemed to lead to disaster for Nayru. When Beleg left to pursue Turin...and in Turin's haste and fear, Beleg had been slain by his very own friend. She just couldn't let herself have this blind faith and believe that everything else would turn out okay when it seemed that the only precious thing to her had been snatched away so quickly.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: March 13, 2006 05:13
"We must leave this forest while the sun is still shining. If we stay another night, we chance discovery by other orcs. Yet my shoulder has been wounded more than I thought, and I will need your help in mounting my horse. Can you get everything ready, and then come to me and aid me in climbing on that beast?"

He watched as the three packed everything and tied the bags behind the newly saddled horses. The evidence of their campfire was hidden and all sign of their stay was wiped away, other than, of course, the pile of dead orcs. When the others were ready to leave, Tulcarato came to Manveru, lifting him as gently as possible to his feet and supporting him to the side of his horse.

Manveru winked at the ellon and said, "Well, here is where we find just how able I am. Give my foot a lift." With his boot in Tulcarato's hands, and only the use of his one good arm, Manveru hoisted himself into the saddle, wincing as his wounded shoulder was jarred yet again. But he was seated and that he considered a good start.

"I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Let us make good time from these cursed woods."

After aiding his friend onto his mount's back Tulcaráto waited until the ellith were ready, and then swung up onto his own horse's back. He had no 'illusions' about 'good time' being made, though... not with Manveru's injury.

And, tense... more than tense, Tulcaráto kept glancing back... though he knew Earwen was keeping a close eye on their injured friend. Drandwen was on Manveru's other side so the ellon would have extra help to steady him - if it be needed.

What worried the ellon the *most* though, was that if any more 'trouble' presented itself, there was only him to combat it.

By the time daylight arrived, they were well clear of the forest, and finding a spot he felt would 'do', Tulcaráto turned to address the others.

"Here," he said solemnly. "We're stopping here," and jumping down from his mount's back, went to help Manveru down as well.

Camp was quickly set up, Tulcaráto making sure a warming fire was lit. He, too, was tired... but shoving his own welfare to the back of his mind, "We should stay here until you are well enough to travel more quickly, Manveru," the elf said, and looked intently at first Earwen, and then Drandwen to see if they agreed...

(( sorry this isn't the best... ))
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 28, 2006 04:35
(ooc: that was perfectly fine gwen - and sorry to everyone it took me so long - but this was just a crazy busy time)

Tulcaráto had been right, they had had to leave this place, but Earwen had not been so afraid in quite a while. Anxiously she had glanced at Manveru and watched for the smallest sign of him hurting or being tired, but Manveru did not show any of the signs she was looking for. Of course she knew that he was wounded quite badly and that he must be in a considerable amount of pain, but she also knew that Manveru, like most warriors was very proud and would never show a weakness unless it was absolutely necessary.

The incident with the orcs had brought back a lot of memories for Earwen and she was more quiet now and during this part of the trip neither her voice nor her laughter could be heard. Instead she was thinking about many things, among them that her friends were in danger on her account that if they had not come with her, Manveru would not have been wounded. She promised herself that she would address this issue as soon as Manveru was well again.

It seemed ages until Tulcaráto finally found a resting place for them. In truth she knew they had not gotten very far, but judging from Manveru's face, this would have to do. She agreed with Tulcaráto that they should not go on until Manveru was fit to travel further. But another thought had been forming in her mind. Right now Tulcaráto was the only one able to defend them and remembering the orcs, this was by far not enough. Therefore she made a decision.

After seeing that Manveru was settled comfortably, Earwen went to Tulcaráto and said, "We need more people who can fight - would you agree to teach Drandwen and me - if all of us can defend ourselves, we might fare better next time..." she closed her eyes, praying to the Valar that there would not be a next time.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: March 28, 2006 03:50
Manveru had been aided to mount his horse by Tulcaráto when the other three had finished clearing their camp area and packing the horses. It was late in the afternoon when they left and the sun set ahead of them as they rode along, trying to get clear of the forest before they had to stop again. The sun was rising before that happened, however.

Tulcaráto turned to address the others.

"Here," he said solemnly. "We're stopping here," and jumping down from his mount's back, went to help Manveru down as well.

Manveru was barely sitting on his saddle by that time and when Tulcaráto reached up to assist him, he almost fell from the horse, wincing with the pain that shot through his wound and in fact, his entire arm. He clung to the saddle with his good arm for a moment until it passed, and he was sure he had his feet under him. Nodding at Tulcaráto that he was ready, his friend led him to a shaded place next to a boulder, easing him down to the ground. The world was spinning and he could do little more than sit and watch as his friends set up a camp, lighting a small fire for warmth, for the morning was still fairly chilly.

When Tulcaráto said, "We should stay here until you are well enough to travel more quickly, Manveru," he merely nodded, those his eyes searched the site of their campsite. It was little more than a small area of scrub trees and boulders. Beyond them was the open plain and they were little hidden but it was the only area that wasn't mere flat dusty plain. Sighing, almost annoyed with himself for having been injured and thus putting his friends in peril, his eyes closed from sheer exhaustion.

He woke once to find Earwen placing some herbs on his uncovered wound and then bandaging it again. Smiling at her, though she was too focussed on her handiwork to notice, he noted her soft skin, her shining hair, her fair face. Once again he wondered how Maglor could have treated her so poorly, though he had heard of the mystique of the Silmarils and the power they had over Fëanor's kin. Still, how could a jewel be more lovely than this sad maiden in front of him? He sighed, and caught Earwen's attention.

"No, Earwen, you're not hurting me. I'm just frustrated with finding myself in this position. Thank you for treating my wound, though. It feels much better," he said, lying about the condition of his wound. It hurt as much as ever and all he wanted to do was sleep. His eyes closed again and he did not open them until very late in the night. He noticed the stars were veiled by clouds and he could hear the rumbling of thunder somewhere off in the distance. He prayed it would not come this way as their shelter was not enough to protect them from being drenched. His eyes roved the area and he saw that Earwen and Drandwen were both sleeping, though Tulcaráto was sitting quietly on a large boulder, his eye roaming the flat plain for any possible trouble.

"Tulcaráto," Manveru called, his voice hoarse with thirst. "Do we have any water left? I will die of thirst before this wound takes me," he chuckled. "And some food if there is any easy for you to find would be nice too." Then, as though he hadn't slept the day away, he added, "Then a nice nap would do well," he said, grinning at his friend in the firelight.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 12, 2006 12:03
"Tulcaráto," Manveru called, his voice hoarse with thirst. "Do we have any water left? I will die of thirst before this wound takes me," he chuckled. "And some food if there is any easy for you to find would be nice too." Then, as though he hadn't slept the day away, he added, "Then a nice nap would do well," he said, grinning at his friend in the firelight.

"You?" Tulcaráto instantly came to his friend's side with a full water-skin. "You're too 'stubborn' to die, Manveru!" he went on - a 'touch' of humor in his soft voice as he aided the wounded elf to get a long drink.

"Food has just been 'awaiting' your want for it," Tulcaráto added, "and keep your voice down - you'll wake the ellith!" and went to fetch such as he'd been keeping warm for when Manveru wakened.

Talking quietly while his friend ate, though over the ever-increasing thunder-crashes above, "Sleep while you can... for I do not think we will be 'spared' the waters from above when this storm hits. We are 'safe' from flooding here, but a drenching is never good for wounds."

And, unfortunately, Tulcaráto's 'prediction' came into being, for barely had Manveru slipped back into slumber, when a flash of white 'streaked' through the sky - accompanied by an even louder 'crack' of thunder, and the heavens opened to a violent downpour that brought all sleepers instantly into awareness.

With everything soaked in a matter of moments, and the horses rearing and plunging from the lightning-flash, Tulcaráto yelled for Earwen to see what she could do to keep Manveru as covered as possible, and grabbing Drandwen's shoulder, "Help me calm the horses!" he cried, and ran to his own and Earwen's - hoping the newest member of their party would take care of Maethor and Manveru's mount...

((not much, but something. ))
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2006 04:58
Earwen woke with a start from a very loud thunder and the world was bathed in the strange bright light of lightning. She could hardly get fully to wakefulness when she heard Tulcaráto shouting to her to go and see whether she could keep Manveru as covered as possible.

Already quite soaked through she reached Manveru, some blankets in tow. She could see that he was also wet and shivering. Without hesitation she lay down beside him, covering both of them with the blankets. Moving as close to him as possible she tried to warm him up.

"I hope you don't mind. But the least thing you need is to catch a fever." she said matter of factly. Her voice not showing in the least how worried she was. This reminded her of when Arapen had had a bad wound. He had caught a fever and the chills and she had lain beside her son, warming him and holding him until the fever had gone down. Manveru of course as of now had now fever and she was glad about that.

Snuggling up close to him and trying warm him, she hardly noticed the thunderstorm going on outside. But she dubiously checked the blankets from time to time, trying to make sure that no rain came through. She hoped they would hold it off long enough for the storm to be over.

Softly she began to sing. Having been a mother, she had a vast repertoire of lullabies. She even kept on singing when Manveru was sound asleep and breathing deeply.

(ooc: not much either, but I hope it's ok )
Nifredil
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2006 04:18
During the ride Drandwen kept quiet. No one spoke much, in fact. It seemed as if everybody was deep within his or her own thoughts and worries, and a superficial conversation was the last any of them wanted or needed.

As for Drandwen, she kep remembering the events of the last days. All the horrors of fights and wars were swarming her mind over and over. This last fight and the wound of Manveru seemed like the last drop in the already full cup of her bitterness. And she had to swallow it alone. So, the elleth was happy that the others never broke the silence, at least, to speak to her.

When Tulcarato offered to make a camp, she merely nodded and calmly slid off Mahtar's back, extending her hand to hold Manveru's horse's reins. Just as silently, she led both horses further where a bunch of green grass was to be seen. Was it just her, or was the grass indeed getting bleaker and bleaker? Or was it because of the distance from her native woods?

After they had eaten, Tulcarato offered to stay on guard. Earwen tried to protest, but was soon convinced by the warrior to have her rest. He would have it afterwards. Drandwen just nodded and turned to make "beds" for the both of her and Earwen. She was avoiding the eyes of Tulcarato. As tired as they were, they remained just as alert and piercing as they had been.

A dark knot was deep within her heart. She had just become aware of it. And it was a secret to keep. With such gloomy thoughts, Drandwen fell asleep.

And was awoken by raindrops falling on her face. Sitting up, she noticed that Earwen's place beside her was empty. Worried, Drandwen stood up, but then noticed the other elleth laying down by Manveru's side. Sighing, Drandwen relaxed. Knowing she would not be able to sleep, the elleth rolled up her blanket to keep it from soaking and, casting a look at Tulcarato who was still awake, went to check on the horses. They seemed not to fear the thunder. Drandwen stood by her grey's side and exended her hand to stroke his wet neck. The horse went on grazing calmly. As if everything were all right... And, with the raindrops drumming on her shoulders and back, Drandwen started to weep. Suddenly, as if a far-too-long closed gate were open, hot tears went flowing over her cheeks, contrasting with the chilling rain. Drandwen wept for all that were dead, for all who had lost and would never find peace again, for those who slowly faded away, lost in their own sorrow. She wept over Earwen's children that were all gone, and over Maglor who had been seduced by the Silmarilli. Over the wounded Manveru and over Tulcarato, who was doing his best to keep their group together and moving. Over Mahtar who had also suffered... And over herself. Her arms slid over the big grey's wet neck, as she leaned closer to the horse, and the animal stood unmoving.

[Edited on 11/5/2006 by Nifredil]
In the Realm of Ulmo
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2006 12:36
Age is a something which brings experience, and through experience wisdom. Wisdom is paramount to those in power, for it is they who influence the fate and lives of those of lesser stations. Complex situations and an imposed isolation upon young Glorfindel cheated him of this crucial factor at such an early stage in his life, and as a result, experiences intensified to compensate for the lack of wisdom. Events and tragedies yet too unfold would shape the course for Glorfindel for the next the next three ages, and lead him to points and places as of yet beyond the reach of such a futile grasps of youth.

Setting his stride apart, thrusting his chest forward and clearing his throat, as his father had done of course, Glorfindel delivered that inspiring and speech which would clinch victory from the jaws of death by securing the hearts and minds of his comrades.

“Ladies,” he pouted, “No force of Man, Elf or ultimate darkness shall shake me from my standing. I stand firm in the face of an adversity, and shall let no harm pass my never ceasing guardianship of you. So is the word of the brave son of Fingolfin.”

As he concluded this mighty proclamation this ‘mighty son’ fell flat on his face in alarm as a petulant gull zipped low over his head. As he grinned sheepishly up from the sand he tried the last and most potent of his hand.

The sympathy card…

“Please?”
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2006 04:43
[OOC: Cuteness! LOL]

As it was, Glorfindel’s little dramatics did indeed wreak their desired effect in clinching the hearts of his rather captive audience, but all too tragically it was not to be in the conventional sense of the word.

The corners of Sûlfeä’s lips had already been twitching gradually upwards of their own accord ever since the unfortunate little rascal had come rushing, winded, down the long strand of beach and all but ran into them, breathless with childish excitement. Oh, to be so young and reckless and to overflow with that endearing self-confidence once again… Glorfindel seemed to truly, vehemently believe in his own capacity to protect his chosen companions on the journey back to the mainland – this little snip of an elfling, barely past maturity and in several aspects still very much a child. It showed in his exaggerated stance, the way his lower chin was thrust out in what seemed to be intended as a resolute look but which turned out more like a petulant pout, his voice ringing out in self-righteousness…

All to be ruined by the mere cry of a sweeping gull, flying low as if to investigate the source of this new commotion.

As the young ellon peered up sheepishly from behind a curtain of literally sandy hair, eyes wide and pleading and cheeks fiery red with his embarrassment, Sûlfeä lost it. She all but collapsed against Nayru, great peals of light laughter escaping her as she all but shook in her mirth.

“Well, Nayru, I do believe I cannot find it in me to refuse, especially since even the gulls cry for him to begone from this previously peaceful isle! I do not think we would get much more peace if we left this rascal to inflict himself upon others in his noble quest to find willing companions…”
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 12:27
The rain burst through the laden clouds as lightning and thunder shook the ground around their campsight. Manveru pushed himself against a huge boulder, pulling his blanket closely around him, yet still he was soaked and shivering within minutes. The shivers rattled his shoulder, and his wound ached interminably. He lowered himself to the wet ground, curling himself in a fetal position until, suddenly someone lifted his blanket and he felt the warmth of another body close to his and arms that wrapped around him. Opening his eyes, he found himself staring into Earwen's face, only inches from his own. Although her face was glistening with rainwater and her hair was plastered to her cheeks and forehead, she was still more beautiful than he could imagine. He had the sudden urge to kiss her and had to bite his lip to hold himself in check. Their eyes held and then she began to sing softly. It was a lullaby and as much as he wanted to stay awake, to watch her face, his eyes closed against his will, and he fell into a sleeping state.

When he opened his eyes again, it was morning, and the sun was shining brightly in his eyes. He felt so alone for some reason until he recalled the presence of the red-haired elf next to him during the night. As his eyes became acclimated to the light, he searched the area to see where everyone was. Drandwen was standing by the horses, Tulcaráto was sitting by the fire, lifting a small pan...but Earwen he couldn't find. "Earwen," he hoarsely called although his voice was little more than a whisper. When she suddenly appeared from the other side of the boulder, his body relaxed as he watched her stroll over to join Tulcaráto next to the fire. He tried to sit up, and found that his wound, while still painful, was no longer impeding his movement. He rested for a moment with his back against the boulder and then, using his good arm, pulled himself to his feet, where he stood for a moment gaining his balance. Then he crossed the ground to the fire, surprising the two who looked up at him in amazement.

"I am fine, fear not. Is there any possibility I might have a cup of tea?" He dropped to the log next to the fire, his arm held close to his chest with a sling. His hair was tangled and his tunic still slightly damp but he felt almost himself again. "I think we should move on today, especially now that the rain has ceased. I'd like to get to better shelter should the sky decide to drop more on us. How did the horses brave the storm? Are they all alright?" He took the cup of tea handed to him by Earwen and thanking her, he looked tenderly at her fair face. "And thank you for your warmth last night. I would not be doing as well as I am had you not offered it." He reached out and touched the back of her hand, not taking his eyes from her.
Liswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 11, 2006 11:40
"I think we should move on today, especially now that the rain has ceased. I'd like to get to better shelter should the sky decide to drop more on us. How did the horses brave the storm? Are they all alright?" He took the cup of tea handed to him by Earwen and thanking her, he looked tenderly at her fair face. "And thank you for your warmth last night. I would not be doing as well as I am had you not offered it." He reached out and touched the back of her hand, not taking his eyes from her.

Earwen smiled shyly at him, not sure what she should say in return. Carefully she started, all the time looking Manveru into the eyes. "After all that you have done for me, dear friend, this was the least I could do." She shuddered at the thought losing him. Manveru had become the only person along with Tulcárato, who she trusted completely. They were almost like a second family to her and to lose another family was just unthinkable.

The thought of continuing their journey filled her with joy. Every day meant that she was one day closer to finding Maglor. She was looking forward to introducing him to his friends.... For a moment she was lost in thought, but Manveru's gaze called her back into reality. They might not find him at all he knew.

Smiling once again at Manveru Earwen slowly got up and began helping the others to break camp. She was careful to pack the wet blankets so that they would not ruin other things in their packs. When she was done she returned to Manveru and sat down next to him and close to the fire. She was rather tired since she had not slept much the night before. But there was not much time to rest if they wanted to start out soon.

"Your wound will need a new dressing," she said matter of factly and started to carefully remove the bandages. The wound looked better, but would still take time to heal. Careful not to hurt Manveru she applied the herbs they had used before and took up a clean piece of cloth, which she had ripped form one of her dresses. She covered the wound with it and then strapped the arm back against Manveru's chest.
"I hope this will do," she said critically, "but I fear it will have to until we reach a village or a town where we can buy some things."

She turned and looked at Tulcárato. "I am ready to go," she said.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 03:04
"I am fine, fear not. Is there any possibility I might have a cup of tea?" He dropped to the log next to the fire, his arm held close to his chest with a sling. His hair was tangled and his tunic still slightly damp but he felt almost himself again. "I think we should move on today, especially now that the rain has ceased. I'd like to get to better shelter should the sky decide to drop more on us. How did the horses brave the storm? Are they all alright?" He took the cup of tea handed to him by Earwen and thanking her, he looked tenderly at her fair face. "And thank you for your warmth last night. I would not be doing as well as I am had you not offered it." He reached out and touched the back of her hand, not taking his eyes from her.

"Your wound will need a new dressing," she said matter of factly and started to carefully remove the bandages. The wound looked better, but would still take time to heal. Careful not to hurt Manveru she applied the herbs they had used before and took up a clean piece of cloth, which she had ripped form one of her dresses. She covered the wound with it and then strapped the arm back against Manveru's chest.

"I hope this will do," she said critically, "but I fear it will have to until we reach a village or a town where we can buy some things."

She turned and looked at Tulcárato. "I am ready to go," she said.

Nodding, Tulcaráto answered his friend's question about the horses. "They did well," he replied. "But," he admonished, "no matter how 'well' *you* feel now, we are not going to 'push' the next few days of travel!"

With a kind smile to Earwen, "I will trust you to let me know when we must stop and rest," the elf added.

Before long, the camp (though many things were quite 'soggy' from the storm) was packed up, the horses readied, and Tulcaráto insisted on aiding Manveru to his mount's back. "I'm not certain I'd prefer Earwen to ride with you - at least today," he commented, but that was up to them.

"Drandwen - are you ready?" Tulcaráto inquired, and vaulted to his stallion's back.

The pace he kept them at was steady, if at but a walk, and ever Tulcaráto's grey eyes were alert for any sign of movement along their path...

((again... not much, but something...))
Lady~Eowyn
Illusionary Heart
Send Message
on: June 22, 2006 09:11
Inwardly, Nayru sighed. This young man, Glorfindel, was so exuberant and lively, it was hard not to be amused at the same time. He was determined to persuade Sûlfeä and herself to agree to accompany him.

“Well, Nayru, I do believe I cannot find it in me to refuse, especially since even the gulls cry for him to begone from this previously peaceful isle! I do not think we would get much more peace if we left this rascal to inflict himself upon others in his noble quest to find willing companions…”

Nayru smiled minutely, "I suppose I don't have much of choice but to agree to accompany Glorfindel." Nayru pushed hair back against the strong wind, and crossed her arms. "I assume you should like to leave as soon as it can be arranged Glorfindel. I won't have much provisions to take with me or any loose ends to tie up, but you, Sûlfeä?"

((Sorry, this isn't much.))
LoremasterMiar
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2006 11:41
As with many situations, the child was left to be directed by the elders. A child who held the title and rank greater than many his age, and was all to aware of the potential it could lend him. Thus is was hard not to verbally crush these contemptious underlings, but Noldorian arrogance crossed Sindarian calm so, Glorfindel was spared a further embarrassment. Instead, with all arrangements seeiminly made without his consent, again, he merely bowed and nodded to Nayru, before turning on the beach and climbing back towards the palace.
Young he may have been, but a fool he was not entirely. Hardened experiences and exile had brought resentment and frustration into the play pen of innocent youth and led that virtue to darker wanderings.
The yearning for battle and skill, a test to prove himself, to quash all critics to prove his faith. His faith, the trust of one now gone. Ever did that day of his father's passing rise from shallow pools of memory to set that one moment in which his future and path had been set.
From the kindly face of King Fingon, bestowing the title and rights to one so young, there had been no exasperation, no contempt just faith. He knew and believed. Believed to such an extent that it was why he had sent Glorfindel here.

"Guard my Erenion close and well Lord Ingold, as his follower, companion, but most of all, as his friend."

Fingon was gone though, and with it the last vestiges of the Ingold name. All now queried the young warrior, the child sent to guard a prince, who had become a king. A child who should never have been put here, poor thing. Glorfindel was an excellent reader of moods, in everyway except of his own. For now he was blinded by an insaciable desire for power and glory, to face Morgoth head on and win. If Fingon had believed, then he could do anything. They would see, he'd show them.

Alas, how little he knew...

(ooc: Lady Eowyn and siri, do you want to move forward to when we leave, so as to join with the others quickly?)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email