Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Beginnings In Bree (Open)
on: April 03, 2006 08:57
((Gah, this time of year suddenly becomes so darn busy! *yanks hair out* I'm sorry for the inconvenience, folks. And by the way, Vana, the pleasure is mutual. ))

"The residents of Mirkwood are a strange lot." Nilfalath had leant as though what she was saying was some sort of great conspiracy. "But then, I imagine living in that ominous place is bound to make anyone a bit off." At this, she pointed to her skull and pulled a face.

The old Elf chuckled then. "I assure you I am only teasing. Hardy, wonderful folk they are." She paused, and seemed to get back to the point. "As to me, I come from Mithlond by the Bay. My home sits outside the Haven walls, on the shore so close to the water one can nearly touch it from the porch."

Her home was, indeed, nice and a part of her desired to return to it. Yet, this was an enjoyable vacation, and certainly something she rarely did. When she left, she had been informed that if she should return before six months passed, her nearest and dearest would physically remove her from these shores never to return. A formitable threat, in any case, and one reason why she was dawdling in Bree.

"Have you ever been to the sea, young Tarthil?"
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2006 08:09
((Trust me, Hathien, I understand. All sorts of neat stuff goes on...))

"I'm from Gondor," Tarthil said proudly, shifting from foot to foot. "My folks often went between the coast and Minas Tirith; I learned to swim in the sea." But he'd never seen a place quite as beautiful as the place he could see in his mind from the description the elf gave.

He missed his home, if he was honest with himself. His parents were travelers by nature, so he had seen a lot of Middle-earth in his short life. But Gondor was his home; it was where he always returned to. In fact, that's what he was doing at the Pony: earning enough money to go home and make a new life in his homeland.

Shaking his head--he believed in action, rather than wishing for good things to happen--he flashed his cocky grin at the elf. "So why'd you leave? If I can ask, that is." A thought occurred to him. "What's your name, by the way?" He'd talked to her briefly when she handed her horse Assa off to him the day before, but no more than what was needed for him to discern that she was an elf and she had a good horse.
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 06, 2006 03:12
((*nudge*))
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2006 10:55
((*coughs* :blush: ))

"If it were left up to me, I'd still be there. Content as my fat horse in a hay field." Nilfalath smiled wryly. "Alas, the decision was not left to me, however, and here I sit." To elaborate on the story further, she continued, easing the quizzical look she was given. "My well-meaning mellyn, the young jackanapes, informed me I had either 'get away' or be set on a ship for the Uttermost West. An ultimatum, if you will. You see what my choice was." The young lad was awarded a good-natured grin.

Excusing herself from the gathered assembly of Elves, the old elleth stood and moved over to Tarthil. She extended an arm towards him, while motioning towards the door with the other. "I'd like to see my faithful horse, if you don't mind. He's used to my attentions." Nilfalath paid her breakfast tab, and again pocketed the small change purse. "Come, we can speak further outside." She made towards the exit, glancing back when she spoke. "Returning to your earlier question, my name is Nilfalath."

((Hope you don't mind. I thought Tarthil might feel better once in the stables. ))
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 13, 2006 11:20
((*snickers*))

Blushing with delight, Tarthil took the elf woman's arm as they headed out of the inn. With his other hand, he pulled up his hood as protection against the steadily falling rain. Once outside, he inhaled with relief. The Prancing Pony was nice as an inn, but it was too stuffy.

He led Nilfalath carefully around the puddles, using all his gallantry to deliver her safely to the stables. Once there, he pulled open the door and led the way into his little world. If he could, he would live in a stable. It was a place that smelled good and housed beings that were kinder to him than most other humans. Picking up a pitchfork, he motioned for the elf to follow him as he led the way toward the stall where he'd put Assa. "Here's your lad, m'lady Nilfalath," he said, bowing. "And a good lad he is too, when he can be pursuaded to stay in his stall." His eyes twinkled at his joke.
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 04:20
Chuckling at her young aquaintance's comment, the elf nodded her agreement. Assa was hard put to any stall, whether it was here in quaint, little Bree or home along the coast of the Belegaer. The blasted horse was an escape artist, but one Nilfalath was rather fond of. With an affectionate smile on her lips, she brushed the palm of her long-fingered hand down along the horse's neck, and embraced him with something of a motherly hug. "He certainly is a good lad. Somewhat spoiled, though. Which I take no credit for." Here, Assa snorted his skepticism, and the old elleth had to admit defeat. "Alright, I'll take some of the blame, but he was such a sweet, little orphan... I couldn't resist."

She handed her gelding a honey-baked oat biscuit, and with one last pat, turned to Tarthil. Her age was not easily discernible, but the hint of world-weariness in the ancient glance of her ocean-swept gaze was. As she focused her blue eyes on the stableboy, there was a subtle glow in the very depths; a small flicker of gained wisdom and millenia old memories that belied her youthful appearance. She smiled gently when she spoke. "Do you enjoy your life here at the Pony?" She paused, but not long enough for him to answer. "You thirst for something, Tarthil. I can both feel and see the yearning in your eyes. Could it be the southern coasts and splendor of Gondor, perhaps?"
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2006 10:38
While the elf greeted her horse, Tarthil had started to muck out a stall that had been vacated by a traveler who couldn't wait for the rain to stop. When she turned her full attention on him, however, he felt compelled to look up. The pitchfork rested against the ground as he met her blue eyes. Yes, she was much older than she looked. There was age, and wisdom in her eyes that belied description. He blinked, realizing that she had asked him a question. Luckily for him, she went on, "You thirst for something, Tarthil. I can both feel and see the yearning in your eyes. Could it be the southern coasts and splendor of Gondor, perhaps?"

He swallowed hard and tried to look away. Her eyes had an almost hypnotic power; he couldn't break the connection their gaze formed. "Aye," he whispered at last. "Bree is fine, but Gondor...well, it's home." He couldn't explain it, though he saw it in his mind.

He looked away at last. "But it can't ever be the same," he continued, jabbing at the hay viciously. "My parents are dead, and they were home too. I'll make it back to Gondor someday, just because Nana always said that the White City is the place to watch, especially with King Elessar on the throne." He didn't meet the elf woman's eyes; he didn't want her to see the tears gathering in his eyes at the memory of his parents' deaths.
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2006 06:06
Nilfalath sighed, her blue gaze not once faltering from the boy. When he turned away, embarrassed by his tears, she took to considering the homespun material of his tunic until, her kindred heart going out to the young man, she moved over to take the pitchfork from him. Once safely in her grasp, she propped it on the stable wall and bent an arm around his shoulders.

A soft, if somewhat distant look fell over her youthful features. "Tarthil, pain is nothing to feel ashamed of. Nor are the tears that accompany it." She squeezed his arm gently and continued. "The King Elessar has wept. Every great Elf Lord in our history has wept. It mends the heart, and heals the pain... as much as it can be healed."

She directed him to a nearby stool and motioned for him to sit. While Nilfalath, in turn, took up the pitchfork, her willowy arms treating the tool like an old friend. She wielded it masterfully, however, and set to work on the mussed up bedding. "I'm familiar with your heartache, and if I may say so, the intensity does lessen after a time." She glanced at him from the corner of her eye. An ironic smile was on her lips, but she proceeded with the rest of her thought. "It never does go away completely, though."

((Aww, Nil's taken a liking to your young sir. She doesn't muck stalls out for just anybody, you know. ))
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 13, 2006 05:52
(I rather think young Tarthil has taken a shine to your lass as well; he doesn't let just any lady muck out stalls for him. )

Tarthil almost protested her taking the pitchfork from him, but she seemed to know what she was doing, and he did need to sit down. The King of Gondor and Arnor cried? Those timeless lords that he'd caught glimpses of once or twice wept? That needed thinking about.

He sniffed viciously as he watched Nilfalath muck out the stall. “You shouldn’t do that,” he said at last, scrubbing his fists into his eyes in an effort to banish the tears. “It’s my job, and Butterbur has a way of being nicely sharp.” He stood up and stuck a hand out for the tool. Her back was to him at the moment as she kept working, and he got a good look at her hair for the first time. He didn’t really notice the color; all other observations came a distant second to a deafening fact: she wore her hair in the same braid his mother had so loved and wore whenever she had any physical work to do.

His heart thudded in his ears as he let out a soft groan and turned away. The tears, denied before, returned now with a vengeance and he buried his face in his hands as his shoulders shook. “Nana,” he whispered as he leaned heavily against the wall of the stall beside him.
tinquendi
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 29, 2006 01:38
(ooc- sorry, but i didn't get near a computer for quite a while now. I hope you do not mind me coming back? If you do, just delete my post, I'd understand

As Fearnur walked towards the stable to look how his horse was doing, he kept on thinking about the odds of staying in a little Inn, in a little town in the middle of nowhere and suddenly meeting not only all kinds of interesting people but other elves also, and all within one day! The old elf was just about to open the door when the unexpected noise of people talking quietly inside caught his attention. He had a fealing like he should not interupt them, but on the other hand he wanted to get to his horse. Besides, they might hear him leave if they didn't hear him come towards the stable, and it would seem at least somewhat queer, as if he had a reason to sniff around... Fearnur decided to go in, but he made sure that they would hear him before he got inside, so he opened the door slowly and with as much noise as he could make without being too obvious.
Lady_Firniswin
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 30, 2006 04:18
Seeking shelter for the night, Firniswin came upon the shape of the stables.

She noted a figure in the evening darkness and hurried to catch up, hoping that he might help her stable Rochdu. He was so tired from their long journey and she knew that, although she could have continued for a few more hours, he needed a good nights rest in a nice warm stable.

"Easy." she whispered, guiding the elven beast as she hurried after the figure, who was now opening the door. "Sir?" she called softly, not wanting to wake anyone.

She stopped when she was only a couple yards from him and waited, her midnight black stallion huffing through his nostrils heavily and drenched in sweat that was now running down his heaving sides.
justice
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 17, 2006 04:46
Letoa set down three mugs for some visiting Bree men hey mumbled thank you but that was all. Right now was the quite time right before the late night crowd and right after the evening one. I wonder where those elven kind went? Grabbing her cloak she decided to call it an early night...the boss was already drunk anyway.Walking out into the street she went to the stable to tell Tarthil good night. As she did she walked straght on the scene of two elves....
~Háthien_Oronar~
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2006 03:39
(('Tis getting busy again, I see. Hello again, all. ))

Nilfalath ruffled the last bit of straw, satisfied that it was comfortable enough for the next, four-legged inhabitant. She set the pitchfork in the aisleway and turned back around, wiping her hands on the long folds of her skirt as she did so. An unreadable expression crossed her face at the sight of Tarthil's weeping form, and a hand extended to bring the youngster into a comforting embrace. She stroked the soft tendrils of hair off his forehead and gave him a gentle squeeze. "Boe den leithiad, hên."

Hearing the approach of three others, the old Elf glanced towards the stable door and gave the lad's shoulder a pat. "Here, Tarthil." She smiled knowingly, handing him a small, linen kerchief. "It seems we're not the only ones out and about."
Vanalosswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2006 05:51
((Hallo yourself, and hallo to all who've joined us))

When Nilfalath drew him into a hug, Tarthil turned and buried his face against her shoulder as his arms wrapped shyly around her waist. She smelled nice, like the sea breeze and dried grass. It was a different smell than he was used to, but her soft voice, right in his ear, spoke in the gentle language that his mother used when he needed comforting.

Her gentling hand paused on his hair as if she heard something, then she patted his shoulder. "Here, Tarthil." She smiled knowingly, handing him a small, linen kerchief. "It seems we're not the only ones out and about."

He looked up at her as he took the kerchief. "Thank 'ee," he mumbled, wiping his face dry quickly. He took a deep, shuddering breath and composed his features. He nodded slightly and turned around.

Another elf was in his horse's stall, talking quietly to the animal. Tarthil blanched; someone else had seen him crying? Someone was certain to tell old Butterbur about this, and he would be mocked severely for being childish. Wonderful.
Lady_Firniswin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2006 06:49
Firniswin paid no heed to the others in the stable.

For the moment Rochdu was all she could think of.

The poor animal was snorting wildly and his stormy eyes were dull with weariness. His great black sides were heaving and puffs of steam were rising from his sweating back.

She whinnied briefly, stroking his sweaty hide with a dry towel she had found nearby, then leaning forward she clamly stroked his fur and whispered words of encouragement.

She did not see the others staring at her and for the moment, she did not care.

At that moment, she realized how very tired she truly was.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email