Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post QOTW, Jan 31/06; 2.IV. The History of Galadriel and Celeborn
on: January 31, 2006 12:10
In this case Galadriel was more far-sighted than Celeborn; and she perceived from the beginning that Middle-earth could not be saved from the 'residue of evil' that Morgoth had left behind him save by a union of all the peoples who were in their way and in their measure opposed to him. She looked upon the Dwarves also with the eye of a commander, seeing in them the finest warriors to pit against the Orcs. Moreover Galadriel was a Noldo, and she had a natural sympathy with their minds and their passionate love of crafts of hand, a symapthy much greater than that found among many of the Eldar: the Dwarves were 'The Children of Aule' and Galadriel, like many of the Noldor, had been a pupil of Aule and Yavanna in Valinor

A lot of insight into Galadriel's character and motives is shown in this quote. unlike Celeborn she is able to get past the role of the Dwarves in the destruction of Doriath, as she sees them somewhat as soul mates and valued allies. Also we get an idea as to why she was so willing to give strands of her hair to Gimli.

some little asides that came to me from this quote;

Could Thranduil's distrust of the Dwarves have. like Celeborn's, originated with his view of the role of the Dwarves in the Death of Thingol and the ultimate destruction of Doriath?

I generally lay the final blame for the destruction of Doriath on Melian, as she could have stayed after Thingol's death and helped the next ruler, or even ruled herself, rather than removing the 'Girdle' and abandoning Doriath in its time of greatest need.
danja_san
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: QOTW, Jan 31/06; 2.IV. The History of Galadriel and Celeborn
on: July 24, 2006 05:17
Melians motives and reasonings re i think beyond any of us.

She came to Middle Earth for reasons unknown and fell in love (why did she and Thingol not then go to the Undying lands?)
I think it was the Great Sindar King who wished to stay in the very forest he met her...

...but then it was her enchantment that stayed his advance...

Maybe their love was impossible in Aman; are there examples of Maia and Elves wedded in the undying lands?

I think she left Doriath because of the death of Thingol; in Tolkiens tales love is one of the few occurances in which the 'gods' feel compelled and act without 'reason', as such.

...or maybe she knew of the impending intervention by the forces of Manwe and could foresee the doom of Beleriand, making her efforts pointless. she did often see images of the fates of her people and those who came to her for guidence; and she was usually quite melloncolic towards the end!

[Edited on 24/7/2006 by danja_san]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email