Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post 3-V-[b] The Battles of The Fords of Isen [/b]
on: May 10, 2006 12:16
First Battle;
What was Saruman's goal, in the first Battle of the Fords, and did he achieve it? Did he properly follow up?
What were the problems facing the Rohirrim that guarded the Fords? How did they deal with them? Wre they successful?

Second battle;

How was the second Battle different from the first as far as the goals and the results for Saruman and the Rohirrim?
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I'll say Saruman's goal in the 1st battle was to draw out the Rohirrim and kill Theodred, which was successful. Had Saruman been prepared for a full-scale invasion it would have likely been successful at this time.

The second battle was the actual invasion, and the trouble Rohan had was its fractured command structure without Theodred. Erkenbrand took overall command, and his commanders in the field were Grimbold and Elfhelm. Grimbold was commanding the foot-soldiers in the forts to the west of the fords, and Elfhelm and his mounted soldiers were to the east as reserve and as a screening force on the northern flank. Trouble was with the all-out invasion that Saruman launched this time sent a fair number of warg-riders across the headwaters of the River Isen from Isengard and was able to cause mayhem among the screening picket, rolling up the Rohirrim flank east of the river. This led to a decisive victory for Saruman's army and they marched onward to Helms Deep.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email