Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Post Does Tolkien propagate gender stereotypes?
on: May 17, 2006 07:31
This is a debate we had in the Realm of Vaire, that Atalante has allowed us to move to the Book Discussion Forum - thank you, Atalante!

EDITOR'S NOTE: 4/5/07 This interesting debate was moved here from the Realm of Vaire a year ago. It is a keeper. I have edited it mostly to remove empty space and make it easier to read on screen. I have also deleted the congratulatory messages, of which there were many for both participants. Their discussion has not been edited in any way.

Debate: Does Tolkien propagate gender stereotypes? Judged by : Morwinyoniel

Participants:
Elvishmusician argued that Tolkien does propagate gender stereotypes.
Nazgulli l argued against it

[Edited on 4/5/2007 by cirdaneth]
http://monstersandcritics.wordpress.com/
pv
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Does Tolkien propagate gender stereotypes?
on: May 17, 2006 07:35
Elvishmusician
Does Tolkien propagate gender stereotypes?

To propagate something means ‘to transmit (characteristics) from one generation to another.’ Stereotype is defined as ‘One that is regarded as embodying or conforming to a set image or type.’ In Tolkien’s work we see many occasions where he does conform to the gender stereotyping of his day. The stereotype of women in Tolkien’s day were largely ‘homemakers’ and many women did not work, a women’s place was not in the battle field but at home. The men on the other hand were the protectors and providers of their families.

These first stereotypes are displayed most evidently in Lord of the Rings and the Hobbit. Women do not fight. There is only one exception to this in Lord of the Rings with Eowyn, but the society Tolkien has created does not encourage her involvement. We cannot forget the stereotypes of men in Tolkien’s world either. The men are the protectors; they are the ones that fight in the battles. They are very similar to the stereotypes found in Tolkien’s world. The men of Gondor are like the soldiers as are the men of Rohan. The portrayal of these two countries seems to be very Middle Ages based, though is relevant to Tolkien’s day as well. The men were the ones who protected and provided for their families, the wife’s place was in the home. The elves, though not technically ‘men’ also show a different portrayal. Once again there are very few female elves mentioned, with the exception of royalty. The elves have a strong patriotism as seen when the Fellowship enters Lothlorien. They are artistic and very much ‘thinkers’ but also amazing warriors. This Tolkien uses to show the academic men in his own world.

Take Arwen for example. She is very much of what a woman should be, according to Tolkien's world stereotype. She is beautiful, supportive and ready to sacrifice for her husband. It says in the appendices that she watched over him in thought while he was away. Even at the end she takes her fate without complaint to Aragorn and throughout it we see she does not ever speak of her own troubles to him. She does not talk about how hard the decision she has to make is for her. Like the women in Tolkien's world, she was devoted to her husband and his well being at the cost of her own.

Another character that could be mentioned is Morwen from the Sil. She is a very strong woman in her own way but she never rides to war but does her duty to her husband instead. She believes it important that she protects her husbands heir and waits for his return in a land now plundered by easterlings.

As far as the men go there are numerous examples of the stereotyping present in Tolkien's world. To begin with, Eomer Third Marshal of the Riddermark. He is driven solely by a love for his country. He is willing to sacrifice everything for the protection of his people, even if it means falling out of favour with the King. He is extremely protective of his immediate family, especially his sister Eowyn. When he hears she has fallen in battle, he is filled with grief and insists on a proper and honourable burial for her. The character of Faramir is very similar to this as well.

Boromir is also a character showing the stereotypes of Tolkien's own world as well as showing how they can go too far. It is Boromir's love for his people that the Ring uses to tempt him. He knows that the Ring should be destroyed but he is willing to sacrifice everything to protect the country he loves. To the point of turning on a companion that has gained his trust over the time they have travelled together. His love for his country is shown even more by the fact that he (in the books) welcomes the opportunity for Aragorn to come to Gondor. Even if he knows that his own position would become second to him. If it meant the restoration of his country he was willing to give up pride (keeping his word) and position for the people he loved.

Elrond. This is an interesting character. We see Elrond is very protective over his family. When his wife is attacked by orcs he does all in his power to heal her, when even he fails to take away the grief of her injuries he allows her to pass over the sea where she can be healed of her wounds. He does not like the thought of his daughter choosing death so she can marry Aragorn and while not placing a ban on their relationship he does similar to what Thingol requested of Beren. Created a task that looked near impossible to complete. Saying that Arwen would not be the bride of any man unless he be the King of both Gondor and Arnor. However this in some ways is wiser then the task of Beren because by doing this Elrond ensures that his daughter will have a 'good life' as a mortal if it should come to pass. By this he shows the protective nature of men over their families. Elrond is also renowned as a great warrior and an expert in lore.

Here are just a few examples of the way that Tolkien attempts to pass on (propagate) the stereotypes of his generation throughout his work.

Nazgûlli
Tolkien made lots of exeptions: like Galadriel.
She didn't leave Aman because she followed a beloved one, she wanted her own land, she wanted glory, she wanted to be a leader. Even if she had met Celeborn in Aman, she still would've searched that glory in Arda. Maybe she didn't fight, but that doesn't mean she was a gender stereotype. And Galadriel may be described as beautiful, but she wasn't entirely dependant of Celeborn, they were equals. And when the one ring was destroyed, she travelled without Celeborn to Aman.

Not every male being fought for their beloved, if we take a look at Fëanor: he didn't fight for his country, nor for his family. His main reason was revenge. Fëanor wanted to take his Simarils back, and wanted to avenge the death of his father.

Elvishmusician
The topic does not state that all of Tolkien's characters displayed gender stereotypes, it says does Tolkien propagate gender stereotypes. Not that there cannot be exceptions. As shown in the earlier examples there are plenty of characters that conform to the gender stereotypes of Tolkien's day.

However in the case of Galadriel I would still argue that she does display some gender stereotyping. Women were leaders in Tolkien's day as well, they did rule but did not fight. Tolkien lived from 1892-1973, during this time both Queen Victoria (from 1837-1901) and Queen Elizabeth 11 (from 1952) both ruled England. The concept of a woman ruling was by no means unreasonable in Tolkien's era.

In the character of Galadriel we see a large change occur after her time in Doriath in the first age. She is mentored by Melian and this seems to show her that a woman can rule with a man. She has a lot of respect for Celeborn, as seen by her words to the Fellowship when they arrive in Lothlorien.
For the Lord of the Galadhrim is accounted the wisest of the Elves of Middle-earth , and a giver of gifts beyone the power of kings. He has dwelt in the West since the days of dawn and I have dwelt with him years uncounted; for ere the fall of Nargothrond or Gondolin I passed over the mountains, and together through ages of the world we have fought the long defeat.
Also at the end of the War of the Ring, when Lothlorien took Dol Guldur it is said that Celeborn led the army. And that Galadriel threw down the walls and the forest was cleansed. It seems Tolkien used her more as a 'healer' and one who gave wisdom. This doesn't necessarily challenge the stereotype of women in Tolkien's day. The first age Galadriel who 'stood with the princes' might but what she becomes does not.
Not every male being fought for their beloved, if we take a look at Fëanor: he didn't fight for his country, nor for his family. His main reason was revenge. Fëanor wanted to take his Simarils back, and wanted to avenge the death of his father.
This does not challenge the gender stereotype of Tolkien's day either. As in every culture there are people who don't fight for their family but for themselves. Feanor though, I would argue did fight for the honour of his people, in part. His main objective was of course to take back what had been taken from him but how many wars of modern times (the last 200 years) have been fought because people wanted to take back what had once been theirs? Feanor does not challenge a gender stereotype, he might be said to challenge the stereotype that we normally assosciate with elves but not a gender one.

Nazgûlli
Males are believed to be strong (of mind and body), skilled in the art of war, and handsome. Tolkien didn't apply the gender stereotype to hobbits and elves. Though elves are described as beautiful, and skilled in the art of war, they rely mostly on their knowledge, and on creativity. They are very sensitive to hurt and grief. Unlike the men in Middle-Earth.
Hobbits are happy, merry, gay. Anything but skilled in the art of war, and even if they are wise, they don't use it the same way the men or the elves do. A typical hobbit has excess weight. and handsome in their eyes, maybe cute in ours.
Not a gender stereotype.

Elvishmusician
Males are believed to be strong (of mind and body), skilled in the art of war, and handsome. Tolkien didn't apply the gender stereotype to hobbits and elves. Though elves are described as beautiful, and skilled in the art of war, they rely mostly on their knowledge, and on creativity. They are very sensitive to hurt and grief. Unlike the men in Middle-Earth.
Hobbits are happy, merry, gay. Anything but skilled in the art of war, and even if they are wise, they don't use it the same way the men or the elves do. A typical hobbit has excess weight. and handsome in their eyes, maybe cute in ours.
Not a gender stereotype.
The stereotypes Tolkien used for Men, elves and hobbits each display the different types of men Tolkien saw around him. He believed himself to be most like a hobbit, thus hobbits must definitely figure in being a stereotype passed on by Tolkien. Hobbits are the fun-loving and hardworking (usually manual labour) men. Those that as Pippin says in the movie 'feel like they are putting their feet up after a hard day's work.'

Tolkien was a professor so around him he would have also seen a lot of 'elves' men who studied and lived fairly quiet and peaceful sort of lives. He uses the elven strength in arms to show how this though 'soft' is not weakness. Though many men in Tolkien's day had to be seen like the 'Men' of middle earth Tolkien uses the stereotype of the elves to give a voice to the more sensitive men that he saw around him. So yes even though Tolkien's world was largely concerned with 'Men' it also had many 'hobbits' and some 'elves' as well.

Nazgûlli
I think few men were senstive and elvish-like in Tolkien's time. He wrote his stories after the Second World War, which was very crucial to him. He was confronted with lots of 'macho' men, there was no room for sensitivity. I think he dreamt of a place where some people could stay sensitive and where some men could enjoy life, and think of nothing else but that year's harvest. And where workaholics existed too. All those different types of people together in one world, united against the greater evil.

Elvishmusician
The topic is not asking if all Tolkien's races display stereotypes but if Tolkien 'passed on' (propagate) gender stereotypes. Even if men of the elven race do not fit into Tolkien's society it doesn't mean he doesn't propagate gender stereotypes. As has already been established he used stereotypes of gender n many cases... both men and women as seen by earlier examples.

Elven men in Tolkien's work though are not without stereotypical attributes. If one were to look away from the hair obsessed, make up and manicure focussed elf of the fanfiction and return to Tolkien's work there is very little that make the elven men unstereotypical. The only examples of a lack of 'macho' behaviour is in the odd phrase like
'and upon his fair elven face there was great distress'

(Council of Elrond, FOTR) and
For Legolas was fair beyond the measure of men...

(ROTK)... Tolkien never calls the elves 'pretty' just 'fair' . The word fair means
Of pleasing appearance, especially because of a pure or fresh quality; comely.
Obviously Tolkien uses this to show the purity of this race, not so much a reference to their lack of 'masculinity'. As shown by many elves: Feanor, Fingolfin, Legolas, Elrond, Gil galad, Celeborn, Fingon, Turgon... the elves were great warriors as well as great scholars. As Tolkien was in a war perhaps he used this stereotype to show some of the men he saw change from being seen as 'un-macho' to show great courage under pressure. As many scholars (including Tolkien himself) left their academic pursuits for the war years this stereotype is not unrealistic at all.

Nazgûlli
I want to add another argument:

Where do dwarves fit in the gender stereotype? As far as I know the women were not much different from the men. They were equal. In one of Tolkien's extensions, I think the appendixes he talks about the female dwarves. They are few, and not all women marry, some of them prefer working, and a lot of the men don't marry too.

Elvishmusician
I will just answer Nazgulli's final argument by restating one of my former ones
The topic does not state that all of Tolkien's characters displayed gender stereotypes, it says does Tolkien propagate gender stereotypes. Not that there cannot be exceptions. As shown in the earlier examples there are plenty of characters that conform to the gender stereotypes of Tolkien's day.

In addition to this, as far as dwarf-stereotyping is concerned, there are not enough female dwarfs discussed or even written about in Tolkien's world to gain a decent understanding of what their characteristics were and whether they truly were different from women of Tolkien's era. If you look only at the representations of men, elves or hobbits in the Appendices, we see that it does not give anywhere near the depth required to accurately decide the level of gender stereotyping.

Morwinyoniel
All right, time to declare the results...

Both of you did a great job, found good arguments, and defended them well. However, I will have to give this one to EM because she managed to give better reasons for her arguments.

Congratulations to both of you, and thank you for an interesting debate!

Nazgûlli
congrats EM, I knew you would win, my arguments always seemed a bit empty . glad it's over though, the subject was more difficult than I thought it'd be

Elvishmusician
Thanks for a great debate Nazgulli ... and thanks so much for judging Morwin

LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 11:33
Is the question now open for discussion in this forum, or is it just for us to read? Very interesting in any case.
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2006 03:21
Yes, it's open for discussion now! :wave:
LadyEowyn_Of_Rohan
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 26, 2006 08:25
Oh good, I thought so, just wasn't sure since no one posted anything.

I'm probably splitting hairs here, but I think there's a distinction between what Tolkien actually writes and what he "propagates." That is, while there may be the odd person who defies stereotypes, like Haleth, the majority of readers probably only have read LotR once, maybe twice, and aren't familiar with Tolkien's other works, dwarf women, or looking as deeply as we are.

So what Tolkien is "propagating" is just the general impression given by LotR... and I'm not sure exactly what that is. It seems that he does to some extent reinforce the stereotype of men as "strong (of mind and body), skilled in the art of war, and handsome", as Nazgûlli put it. But a significant part of LotR does take place during war, so it isn't entirely surprising that men who conform to that stereotype would be present. As for the women, I think the general impression given is that they're not present much at all.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: June 08, 2006 12:46
EDITOR'S NOTE: Starofdunedain asked "What is stereotyping? This is PB's reply.

Stereotyping is classifying someone based on appearances rather than on their personalities. For example; assuming someone is dumb because o
he/she has blonde hair, or has a fiery temper because of having red hair; or assuming that all women are homemakers and shouldn't leave the kitchen, or that all men are soldiers and better at oudoor chores than women and women should wait on them when they are home etc.

[Edited on 9/6/2006 by PotbellyHairyfoot]

Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 29, 2007 05:32
I think this is a topic worth "trucking."

Personally, I have always thought, considering the type of fiction he was writing and the overall setting. Tolkien was surprisingly "modern" in his treatment of female characters. Look at Luthien and all she went through. Yes, it was mostly "for love" but isn't that a driving force in most people? I also think it is unfair to dismiss Galadriel as a strong character just because she was female and a Queen. I don't think she played second fiddle to anyone. And who was the Hobbit who stood up to "the boss" long before Frodo & Co. returned to the Shire?

These stories are mainly about peoples living in times in which mere survival was as much as many of them could hope for. Survival for mortal races requires progeny and females are required to produce heirs. In such conditions, females were naturally "protected" by the males even though some of them clearly did not appreciate it.

Dwarf women were not inclined to follow traditional "female" roles, nor were the Entwives. While these examples might suggest that Tolkien was against females thinking for themselves, we can still turn back to people like Eowen who knew "her place" but was not willing to be limited to that type of role. If Tolkien were truly "anti-feminist" he would not have made her such a sympathetic character. Yes, she changed some of her ideas when she fell in love but somehow I don't see her suddenly becoming a "housefrau" after her marriage.
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: April 29, 2007 10:22
Thank you pv for giving us this thread, and thank you Celebrian for giving it a kick.

I have always felt that neither Eowyn nor Arwen would be sitting about in pretty frocks being decorative figureheads. There is much for them to do and there is much that I could say. I just wish I didn't have anything else to do today. Maybe it's just as well.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: May 01, 2007 11:36
Just a few thoughts
In Tolkien’s work we see many occasions where he does conform to the gender stereotyping of his day.
I think EM and Nazgulli did a great job with this debate because it is very complicated. When we talk in terms of ‘Tolkien’s day’ we have to remember that he lived (if my calculator is working OK) in excess of 29000 days during a century of the most rapid change in history. There wasn’t one stereotype … there were dozens. They changed with every decade. They are still doing it, which rather throws the concept of stereotype into disarray. (Originally it was a printing plate that turned out identical copies.) Yet Tolkien was born when women still wore bustles and he lived to see a woman astronaut fired into space and men walk on the moon.

When I first read LotR in 1956 I was impressed by the freedom, boldness and sheer guts of the women in it. They did and said things I’d never get away with. They had ‘attitude’. The hoped-for stereotypes of Tolkien’s tomorrow are now the dated ones of our yesterday. It is ever thus. Eowyn, Arwen and Galadriel are about self-determination for women. Such choices were not an option in my milieu in my day …er … (hang on I’ll just get the calculator) … 23700 days. Feels like a loooong time.

Ioreth of Minas Tirith is a stereotype, and I suspect is modelled on the talkative Mrs Moore, with whom CS Lewis lived for many years, the mother of his friend Paddy, killed in WW1. I’ll shut up now lest I too become loquacious. (good word that … Tolkien’s description)
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 05, 2007 02:56
An interesting subject. I am of an age, as is cirdaneth, where I can understand the way that Tolkien portrays the genders in his books and poems. Tolkien came, as has been said, from a time when women stayed at home and men were men. Having said that, I personally don't see that Tolkien differentiated or propogated stereotypes. In fact you could say he gave an equality to both male and female, although with some emphasis on femininity and masculinity.

I'm sure that amongst todays authors there are those that stereotype men and women, still. For all your women's lib, etc, people will stereotype people.

I think also that Tolkien drew on germanic and old norse legends, amongst othersm, where women were just as much warriors as men. As regards Luthien and Beren, well the woman *was* in love with her man and I am sure, even back when Adam was a lad, women would, given the chance, fight for their loved one.

Well everything I have said is my personal opinion and I am not really one to discuss or analyse. I feel it takes enjoyment away for me. Just suddenly felt the urge to write something.
RiverWoman
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2007 08:02
I feel these stories are surprisingly free of gender-role stereotyping, especially considering when they were written - the main story outlines were in place before the second World War, and they type of literture they were based on, heroic myth and epic. What I find especially significant is that marriages are described as equal partnerships. Men and women may have traditional roles, but the husbands are not depicted as controlling their wives, whether its Farmer Maggot, or Tom and Goldberry, Galadrial and Celeborn. In several important places Tolkien shows father-figures exercising authority over people, such as when Theoden orders Eowyn not to ride to war and when Elrond tells Aragorn he cannot marry Arwen unless he has first become King over the re-united North and South. He does not depict husbands exercising authority over wives in the same way.

To me, Arwen doesn't stay home exercising quiet watchfulness because of gender stereotyping so much as because it has become typical of elves to be hidden away, to the extent that Lothlorien and Galadrial are considered to be mere legend to people living close by. This theme runs through the history of Middle Earth back to the First Age, that the elves hide their kingdoms and very seldom ride out to make war on their enemy, whether Morgoth or Sauron, but rely on secrecy and fighting defensively instead.
golden_lorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2007 04:53
The reason that Feanor did this, in my opinion, was that he was off-the-wall insane. (no offense meant. it wasn't his fault). As much as I don't like it, I think that Tolkien did have gender stereotypes in his books. Except for three exceptions [if not more]: Luthien, ("... A maiden had dared that which the sons of Feanor had not dared to do" --the Sil) Haleth (her people where known ever after as the People of Haleth), and Eowyn. (we all know what she did ). And I think that there were a few Qweens of Numenor.... But other then that... yes, there are stereotypes in Tolkien's books.

Later!
golden
pv
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2007 04:31
Tolkien was born when women still wore bustles

I'm not sure I would agree that the age in which he was born could be considered the reason for the way in which he portrayed women.

In 1813, Jane Austen published Pride and Prejudice, a story in which a man falls in love with a woman for her intelligence and sparkling wit, rather than her beauty.

In 1868, Louisa Alcott published "Little Women," in which we see a very attractive woman (Jo) who cannot cook very well, burns her clothes, soils her gloves, and is able to regard a man as a friend rather than an object of sexual attraction.

Bernard Shaw's 1923 play "St Joan" is a portrait of a remarkable woman who was devoted to serving God, rather than serving a man.

Tolkien, writing in the 1920's, cannot have been unaware of ideas such as these. If he chose to portray his female characters in a particular way, this may not have been because he knew no better, because of the age in which he happened to have been born.

It is more likely to have been a conscious decision on his part to express his own view of women, regardless of what everyone else thought.

Tolkien felt that women ought to be beautiful, and that they should know their place and they should serve their men. And whether the world at large agreed with him or not, this is the view he chose to express in his books.

[Edited on 22/7/2007 by pv]
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: July 22, 2007 08:53
Tolkien felt that women ought to be beautiful, and that they should know their place and they should serve their men. And whether the world at large agreed with him or not, this is the view he chose to express in his books.

That was the way of the world he himself lived in: the men built a career, while their wives stayed in the background and took care of the household.

But still, there are in Tolkien's works some very strong and exceptional women who go far beyond "being beautiful and serving their husbands". Galadriel is probably the best known; other ones would be, for example, Idril, without whose activity probably no one would have survived the fall of Gondolin, and Beren's mother, Emeldir, who only gets a short mention in the Sil.
elbarto
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 22, 2007 09:14
What about Faramir? If you compare him to Boromir, Faramir is far from the stereotypical male.

He followed his mother (Finduilas) and was more likely to reason, and least likely to want power, or fight. Denethor's probably not as happy with a son like that who followed his mother, or seemed to be a copy of her. But Faramir was accepted and admired by everyone else, Boromir, Beregond and Denethor (in the end). Faramir was wise and reasonable enough to survive the War of the Ring, in which certain events led to the death of the more irrational/warrior/power-hungry members of his family.

I'd also like to point out that he marries Eowyn, a woman who was also the oddball of her country...

So if Tolkien did create some gender stereotypes, keep in mind that he also did the opposite.
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 23, 2007 01:03
I found from Tolkien biography that he used to "lift women on a pedestal". Those were not his own words, and it was a direct translation from my language, but it means that he highly appreciated women.

His mother died when he was still a boy (father had died already when he was a baby), but in the time when she was there she managed to make a huge impact on him. She guided her son to languages, and Tolkien also was a loyal Catholic, such as his mother was.

He loved his wife Edith, that's for sure, but he really did'nt take her to the men's nights that he had with C.S. Lewis and others, which annoyed her. There were two worlds in his life when LotR is outcluded: the world where women had the control, and the world where men had the control. He loved both, but for some reason he wanted to strictly keep them apart.

But I think in the end it changed.

[Edited on 23/7/2007 by Lorienel]
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: July 28, 2007 09:00
Tolkien was born when women still wore bustles
I'm not sure I would agree that the age in which he was born could be considered the reason for the way in which he portrayed women.
That wasn't quite what I meant, PV. I mentioned the bustles and the woman astronaut* to illustrate the length of time and huge range of female stereotypes we went through during Tolkien's lifetime.

* Valentina Tereshkova I think.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: January 20, 2011 01:55
*bump*
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2011 08:51
Hmmm...
I would say there is some gender role stereotypes in Tolkien's work, but i think there will be steryotypes in just about every book you read. Even some "anti-stereptype" characters have become pretty... stereotyped.

I would also say that none of Tolkien's (sadly few) female characters are sraight-up "stay in the kitchen" stereotypes. He is too great of a writer for there to be so little to any of his characters except the minorist of minor ones.

I would definately say that he was not trying to create stereotypical characters or pass on stereotypical ideas.

And one last question... are there any synonyms for stereotype? I hate using the same word so many times in close conjunction...
heri_sinyë
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2011 04:06
I guess one might say there are stereotypes in Tolkien's work, but I woudn't say he propagates it...
It is impossible not to be influenced by the world around you when you write, and around the time of WWII men and women had their specific roles and were not seen as equal. Of course the examples of "Little women" and "Pride and prejudice" exist, but these were written by women that were much like their main characters, so I think their stories show in part their own experiences and in part how they wish the world was (I'm guessing most intelligent women didn't get such lovely ends to their struggles...).

Even if there are some gender-specific roles in, say, LoTR, I think it's interesting that unlike the society he lived in (and our moder society as well) he did not portray the traditionally female atributes or tasks as less important or noble than those of men. Quite the opposite, in fact. Faramir was (I believe) one of Tolkien's favourite charactes, and he only fights because he must and more than vanquishing the enemy he wants to rebuild and heal. I think Tolkien in general throughout his stories describes healing and nurturing as more positive than fighting and conquering.

In short: when discussing this I think one must take into account the fact that Tolkien was a man and the time he lived in. Also, though there might be some stereotypes, I dont't think Tolkien in any way says "this is how it should be".

Come to think of it, there are so many different "sterotypes" in Tolkien that I'm not sure I can see it as stereotyping at all... Galadriel is one type, Arwen another, Boromir and Eomer yet another and so on... hmm... I guess I'll have to think some more about this

[Edited on 21/1/2011 by heri_sinyë]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email