Register

Author Topic:
Skadhi
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Last Battle
on: July 20, 2006 04:39
Hi there,
I'm still ploughing through The Silmarillion and read something about a Last Battle somewhere in it........ what is it?

Hope I don't sound too silly and ignorant.....

[Edited on 15/8/2009 by cirdaneth]
Strider_is_the_cats_MEOW
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Last Battle
on: July 20, 2006 06:20
It is the battle at the End of Days when Arda is destroyed. I'm not sure . . . . but I think that all of the elves who perished in the First Age are reborn to fight.

[Edited on 20/7/2006 by Strider_is_the_cats_MEOW]
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 07:32
but I think that all of the elves who perished in the First Age are reborn to fight.

Oh yes more than just Elves. All of Men, Dwarves and heroes of old shall fight. Even the host of Ar-Pharazon and he himself will be free and fight against Morgoth and Sauron.

Manwe and Morgoth shall battle each other; but it will be Turin Turambar, with his sword Gurthang that Morgoth will be slain.

There shall be the re-building of Arda, where for example Dwarves will help Aule in the making. Then, there shall be a Second Music of the Ainur, which is said that it will be even greater than the First.

Hope that helps!

Thanks,
Ilandir

[Edited on 20/7/2006 by Ilandir]
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 08:47
The last battle is also referred to as the Dagor Dagorath. I also remember reading somewhere(probably in the HoME) that the Silmarils will be recovered from the sea, sky and earth and used to remake the two trees, and that Men will be part of the Second Music of the Ainur.
Strider_is_the_cats_MEOW
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 11:14
that the Silmarils will be recovered from the sea, sky and earth and used to remake the two trees
I wonder what reborn Feanor will think of that . . . . hehe
Skadhi
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 11:31
Oh, so it's sort of like Ragnarok in Norse Mythology......... that's interesting.......

Every hero meaning including the ones in the War of the Ring?
Nolimon
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 20, 2006 11:54
that the Silmarils will be recovered from the sea, sky and earth and used to remake the two trees

In fact it was mentioned that Feanor himself will give them up, specifically to Yavanna who will break them and rekindle the Two Trees.
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: July 21, 2006 12:02

By then, he has thought things over, and finally accepts their use for that purpose.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2006 03:50
Oh, so it's sort of like Ragnarok in Norse Mythology......... that's interesting.......

Every hero meaning including the ones in the War of the Ring?

Yes exactly. Infact it is the Ragnarok style that inspired Tolkien to create the Dagor Dagorath.

As for all the heroes, although very few things are told about the Battle, I think that all those that died in the previous years (possibly even Morgoth's Balrogs, etc and those of the War of the Ring) shall battle each other.

Thanks,
Ilandir
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: July 27, 2006 08:05
"Thus spake the prophecy of Mandos, which he declared in Valmar at the judgement of the Gods, and the rumour of it was whispered among all the Elves of the West: when the world is old and the Powers grow weary, then Morgoth shall come back through the Door out of the Timeless Night; and he shall destroy the Sun and the Moon, but Earendel shall come upon him as a white flame and drive him from the airs. Then shall the last battle be gathered on the fields of Valinor. In that day Tulkas shall strive with Melko, and on his right shall stand Fionwe and on his left Turin
Turambar, son of Hurin, Conqueror of Fate; and it shall be the black sword of Turin that deals unto Melko his death and final end; and so shall the children of Hurin and all Men be avenged.
Thereafter shall the Silmarils be recovered out of sea and earth and air; for Earendel shall descend and yield up that flame that he hath had in keeping. Then Fëanor shall bear the Three and yield them unto Yavanna Palurien; and she will break them and with their fire rekindle the Two Trees, and a great light shall come forth; and the Mountains of Valinor shall be levelled, so that the light goes out over all the world. In that light the Gods will again grow young, and the Elves awake and all their dead arise, and the purpose of Iluvatar be fulfilled concerning them. But of Men in that day the prophecy speaks not, save of Turin only, and him it names among the Gods."
Shaping of Middle-Earth, The Quenta

What I find interesting about this is that elsewhere it says that Fëanor will nor repent during his stay in Mandos, so why should he suddenly have a change of heart at the Last Battle
El-Tazrín
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 15, 2009 06:41
Now I was reading the BoLT I and I was reading something about Varda and it was the part where she put Telumehtar (Orion) in the sky as a warning? of the Last Battle. And then that got me thinking about The Orion Prophecy (that the 2012 is going to be the beginning of the end or something like that) and I was wondering did Tolkien believe in all that and I thought the term the Orion Prophecy was a new term. And what do you think about it?

Personally I think it's going to be the start of everything, maybe Melkor will break through the door of night?

Ooo! Another thing, isn't it interesting how the Warrior of The Heavens predicts the Last Battle. Then I was looking at Orion on wikipedia and there was a link to Orvandil (or Earendel -the morning star). I don't know why that's significant I just know it is ...

[Edited on 15/8/2009 by cirdaneth]
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: March 29, 2010 09:23
Member Lord Sauron asks:
Is there much written about the last battle because i found in a forum that it said that turin would be the one that kills morgoth for good now saying that turin was a man and if a man could kill a vala that would also mean a maia could also kill a vala.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email