Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
TARDIS is from the show Dr. Who. It's a British TV show, which is pretty good. Um, hopefully someone who understands the show better than I can explain what the TARDIS is, besides my basic 'it's a time traveling machine'.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im definitely gpoing to try some of this. But probably in a few years, when I have my own apartment.
Right now, im big on hanging stuff up on my wall, and I'll probably stick to that for a spell
If anyone is big on having pictures in their rooms in frames, a store called Hobby Lobby has a lot of very Middle-Earthy looking ones and they a re always half off. I was just there earlier today looking at some of them. There were a few that had a leafy design not unlike the brooch's that the Fellowship had on their cloaks, the ones that were gifts from the Elves of Lothlorien. So if you have an Elf style room, maybe look for something like that.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hawkins
Council Member
Send Message
I have an Attic bedroom that has insolation covered rafters for walls and a roof, My bed is a solid shelf about seven feet off the ground with a ladder for me to get on it. I want to do my room like the flens in Lothlorien. Any ideas?
Lothriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Get some plastic ivy. Most craft stores have it. Drape it all around your bed, so it will look more like a tree.

I think I will share some pictures, here. I want my room to have a Laketown feel to it, after what I've seen from Smaug. I love the Gothic feel it had to it, so thats how I am doing my room.

I got all decorations from Hobby Lobby.

There are all sorts of little decorations like this everywhere. I keep on adding to them.

And then I have all these key's up on walls...

And this is what my quilt looks like.

We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
I love your decorations keys and quilt findemaxam48 very Middle earth-ish!

I have put a shelf up in my room that I rubbed down and weathered with a plain, I shall get a picture up when I can.
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I recently got a new light switch decorative thing, it's hard to explain. I'll post a picture of my wall when I can, I need to take the picture first.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Sounds neat, I look forward to seeing it,
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
Lady Miriel Gelliam
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, your room is going to be so cool! I loved how they did Laketown, too. I think you've got a really good feel for how it's supposed to look.

I was looking at all these awesome suggestions, and they're making me kind of sad. I would love to do my room in a more Middle-earthy way (any way! But especially elvish-y, of course ), but I'm kind of stuck. My mum won't let me repaint my room, and whatever I do to it I have to pay for, so I don't think I'll be able to get new furniture or anything. I've had the same stuff since I was about 10 and I'd love to revamp my room, but every time I try to decide what to do I get overwhelmed with all the pink frills and green paint. I mean, it's a cute room, but it's getting kind of old, if you get what I'm saying. If anyone wants to help me, I'd love it! I'm putting some links to pics of my room because a lot of the stuff in it is indescribable, like the very ugly oak bookcase my mum stuck in my room and then never took out. I'm trying to persuade her to put it somewhere else.

http://i60.tinypic.com/200bvig.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/3026nur.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/1053yq8.jpg
http://i58.tinypic.com/28codcj.jpg
http://i62.tinypic.com/1zd5c2u.jpg

[I think these are the links now - I've never tried doing this before!]

[Edited on 03/18/2014 by Lady Miriel Gelliam]
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important." ~ The Eleventh Doctor
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Here are some pictures of my room:

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message

Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Mir, I love your room!! It is so cute! By the way, to make the links clickable, the the [url][/url] button above the text box. Also, if you want your pictures to show up here on the forum like Maxie's, there is the "IMG Code for Forums & Message Boards" option. Just copy that and then paste it here.

Lovely decorations, Maxie! I love it!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! I love your room as well, Miri!
Lady Miriel Gelliam
Council Member
Send Message
Maxie, love your room! My favorite part is the keys. Are the keys. Wait, what? :S Anyways, you should be proud!

My room is pretty cute; thanks.
"In 900 years of time and space, I've never met anyone who wasn't important." ~ The Eleventh Doctor
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It can be both, Miri.

I bought the keys at Hobby Lobby, actually, all the decorations are from there.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
I think your room is beautiful Lady Miriel Gelliam, But I can understand a change would be nice, its a real shame your Mum won't let you repaint your room, seems a little unfair to me. But I'm all for working with what you have.

Would you like to make it a bit more Lotr themed? Green is a great colour for Elven themes.

findemaxam48 - I think your room is very nice! I like the leaf stencils and the Keys and the Inspire sign is very inspiring! lol

Lady Miriel Gelliam
Council Member
Send Message
Hobby Lobby is the best...

Aragorn16Estel (wait, what can I call you, again? ), I definitely want I to be more LOTR themed! So the colour of green I have is ok? *happy dance* That makes me feel better...I wanted to paint it a creamy-ish, stone-ish colour, but if the green will work then I'll stop moping. I think my mum's convinced I'll mess something up if I try repainting...
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
My Mom works there.

The green looks very nice!

Thank You for your comment, Chris!
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Lady Miriel Gelliam - You can call me Chris (Much easier to type!)

I think your green colour is very nice! Green can be a beautiful colour, Green represents peace, nature, calm, things that are all traits of the free peoples of middle earth. I can understand your Mum being concerned about you messing something up, Mums can be like that!

Well I think the first thing you want to do is decide upon what Middle earth theme you would like? Elves, Men of Rohan, Hobbits etc. Or would you like a mixture of them all!

One of the first things I did was have a very good tidy up! I also got rid off/sold anything I didn't want, I then tried to hide everything modern, Obviously there is a limit to what you can do, I still have my radio visible etc.

I put all my modern things in draws/cupboards, under my bed etc. I also have large plastic storage boxes on top of my wardrobe and have covered them with hessian sack cloth which looks great, but you could use a green leafy blanket perhaps, very elven.

Sorry I am rambling aren't I!

By the way would your Mum let you have a hook or two I the wall? that way maybe you could make a banner of your chosen theme, banners look great and can really be a centrepiece!

-Chris

[Edited on 03/21/2014 by Aragorn16Estel]
Lady Miriel Gelliam
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, Chris! (That is much easier And no, you we not rambling. You are making useful suggestions and enlightening conversation. ) I think I'd rather do Elves than anything - you've got a point there about tidying up. That will make my mum very, very happy indeed! She said I could put hooks up, or shelves, or anything, really, as long as I didn't ruin the paint. I shudder to think what would happen if she knew of the mark on the wall next to my bed. O.o I'll definitely start trying to organize and hide things. I don't think there's too much that's modern, luckily. And I'll try to figure out banner-ish things - are there any sites that have ideas for uncreative people like me? Thank you so much!

Mir

[Edited on 03/21/2014 by Lady Miriel Gelliam]
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
No problem Mir, I a touched that you find my conversation enlightening. I think elves are a great theme, the elves are such a peaceful race, I really admire there belief's and way of life, I think we could all do with being a bit more like them.

I bet your Mum will be happy about you tidying up, the elves are pretty tidy

I'm glad that you don't have to many modern things that will help a lot!

Its great that your Mum will let you put up hooks/shelves.

As for Banners, I myself am planning to make one for my room (inspired from a video game) Using finely woven silk and fabric paint, I haven't actually even started yet so I don't know how easy it will be. As for website there are not that many I'm afraid. Once I have done mine I shall post some pictures and let you know. It might be a while since I need to save up. It'd be happy to make you one, but I don't know how hard it will be!

Since we're on the topic of elves, one thing you could do is buy some fake Ivy/Plants and weave them around your bed/furniture.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/7-87-9-19ft-Artificial-Ivy-Vine-Leaf-Garland-Plants-Fake-Foliage-Flowers-Deco-/271387087017?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_Miscellaneous&var=&hash=item3f2fee
50a9

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BULK-12X8-1ft-Artificial-Ivy-Vine-Leaf-Garland-Plants-Fake-Foliage-Flowers-Deco-/271429201748?pt=UK_Home_HomeDecor_Miscellaneous&hash=item3f3270ef54

Paste these into your Web address bar.

This is from ebay UK but I am sure you could find it else ware. There is a great selection! And since elves love nature these seem very fitting. also they are 100% clean and tidy, no mess but they look like the real thing, and you can change them around when ever you want etc.

Its great to talk to someone with the same passion I have for Middle earth / Fantasy décor.

-Chris

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Is there any way you can make your own banner?
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Yes actually, I have been doing some research upon Silk Painting, here are someone's examples:

http://www.dunedain-of-the-north.de/crafts.html

And Here is a site with some info about it, a quick look on Google and it seems there is a fair few things about it,

For example:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/techniques/silk-painting/silk-painting.html

-Chris
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Oh, that is gorgeous and intricate looking! I don;t think I could pull that off...
Lady Miriel Gelliam
Council Member
Send Message
Wow, thanks so much, Chris! Those websites have some awesome stuff on them. I think I'll have to see if I can figure out silk painting. I am totally excited about making banners - if I only can convince mum to let me fill my room with fake flowers now, I'll be much happier. She's afraid I won't dust them. *rolls eyes* Rubbish, I say. She didn't really like the idea of an "elvish" room, but I'm slowly winning her over. She's a perfect mother in most every way, really...Anyways, I'm wondering (seeing as you are obviously a Middle-earth/Fantasy decor expert! It's awesome talking to you, too, btw!) if you have any ideas about covering/hiding ugly furniture. As in hideous oak bookcases and peculiar chocolate-coloured corner chairs.

Maxie, I'm quite positive that if I can silk-paint, so can you! Oh wait, I don't know that I can...but you should totally try it with me and we'll either conquer or fail together! What were you thinking you wanted to put on your banner? Like Lake-town-ish things? I can't remember if they had a symbol or anything, but it'd be cool if you made a banner (or two!) with some of the patterns you have in your room. Or made up your own symboly themey thing, like around keys! (I just love keys. ) But you probably shouldn't pay attention to me, seeing as I'm sitting here begging advice off of Chris about decorating my own room...

~ Miri
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Hello again Miri,

That's ok, I'm glad you like those websites, I think Silk painting should be possible, but like all arts will take time and practise.

I had a feeling your Mum may be unsure about dusting fake flowers, well that's simple, take them outside, and gently dust them with a large soft paintbrush.

Who could not love an Elvish room, I hope you win your Mum over. If the world could be like the elves this fair earth would be a far better place, the modern world is a corruption filled smouldering ruin. The more like fantasy peoples we be the better.

Well as for oak book cases, if you can't replace them, you have two choices I would say;

You could make them more middle earthy by what you put upon them, For example: clear the shelves and put old looking books (black covers are the best) like Elrond's Library. If you wanted you could even buy leather bound note books and write Elven stuff in them using Elven calligraphy. You could also put scrolls on them, loads of scrolls look great! Buy some cheap large and small sizes of paper, tea stain it (not sure if you have heard of this technique). Best done outside away from Mum as its messy, then roll the paper up and tie a ribbon around it. Some old perfume bottles look great with some dried flowers in them, an old looking hourglass that sort of thing, watch the elven scenes again and look very hard to try and see what is in the background in terms of props.

The 2nd option you have with your book cases is a large blanket/throw. put over the top, or you could... wait I'll have to take a picture of mine, I can't explain this part.. :s lol

The Corner chairs would look great with a cream throw draped loosely over them, Elves love floaty materiel! Then you could silk paint(or buy some) a cushion cover and put a nice leaf patterned cushion on each chair.

I quite agree, findemaxam48, I am sure Silk painting isn't that hard the site I linked too take it a bit far, its basically painting on silk and I'm sure you could do it beautifully with a few goes!

I am ever so pleased that my mad room decorating tips are of some use!!

-Chris

[Edited on 03/25/2014 by Aragorn16Estel]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Haha, you are many miles from me, my dear Miri, but we can try! Once DoS comes out on DVD, I will be able to investigate Laketown further, but yes, I probably will include a key or too. And it is brilliant advice! You can always come up with better ideas for other people than you can for yourself.

If you'd like, Miri, you can check out craft stores for the leather books. I know that some at Hobby Lobby look like old leather books, but you can actually open them like boxes and keep things in them. Also, you can buy stencels like I did and trace things.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
This is what I was talking about in regards to my book case, Hopefully the pictures will talk for themselves lol!

Good point Maxi, About the boxes that look like books.

Here is a picture of a Rivendell inspired bedroom,

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/22/8a/f5/228af54d2774c12d49ce49b8f4ca3d38.jpg

I was thinking about something else that could really help your room, my sister used to have one, a net Bed Canopy, they normally only need one hook in the ceiling and they look very elvish! And aren't normally too expensive

http://www.bedcanopies.com/product_images/uploaded_images/temple-poly.jpg

-Chris

[Edited on 03/25/2014 by Aragorn16Estel]
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Ooh, i like that alot! I'll have to try redoing my own dresser now. I shall return with my attempts!
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks, I look forward to seeing your pictures! My shelves are still being designed, so there a bit unorganised lol!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Another thing that I might be doing is staining some of the frames in my room, with, obviously, wood stain. Im using a chestnut brown color, so it's darker (think coffee without sugar or cream)than a typical dresser or frame. That is messy work, though.

Tonight, I am taking some of my parchment paper and making scrolls.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Glad to hear your staining the frames in your room, that'll look great!!! Chestnut brown sounds like a very nice colour,

I can't wait to see your parchment paper and scrolls!

-Chris
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
My scrolls turned out excellently! I will have a picture up of that in the coming days.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
I'm glad they turned out well! I look forward to seeing them.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Wow Chris. You have some really great tips!

I wish I could have a more LotR-sy room, but I share it with my sisters...plus the walls are a sort of turquoise-y color. It's rather modern looking. I do like my room how it is, I just wish it could be more medieval. :/ It would exactly work to hide the modern things, as my older sister and I both have fish tanks. But oh well, maybe some day I will be able to have a really awesome LotR room.

By the way, you can also use coffee for staining paper...however, it probably works better if you aren't planning on making scrolls. Though I suppose you could roll it up while it's still wet.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I made my scrolls with tea staining and layed them out by a heater. I also crumpled up the parchment a bit and tore it a bit, and then rolled them dry and tied them with silver thread and broken gold necklace chains.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email