Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
Post September Newsletter: Ulmo
on: September 03, 2006 12:04

Welcome to the first ever Realms Newsletter, the successor of the popular Council Courier. This first edition is brought to you by the Watery World of theRealm of Ulmo!.

Before we drag you down to our depths, let me grab this opportunity to say a big "Thank you!" to Nenyia for putting together so many beautiful Council Couriers. It was always a pleasure reading them. ::In strolls the Kraken with a lovely bouquet of seaweed, anemones and some decorative shells:: Voila! And thank you for all you have done for this wonderful site.

This new kind of newsletter has a different set-up then the original Council Courier had, as you might have noticed already. Biggest change is that it will no longer be sent around by email, but instead will be placed in the General Realms Discussion forum for all to enjoy. Also, the content and lay-out is no longer subject to set sections. Here you will find a little bit of this and a little bit of that. We have jumped off the edge of the cliff into the deeper parts of the sea and decided to try a different approach. Which is a good thing because any Realm that from now on decides to create the Realms Newsletter, can design and create as they see fit.

The Realm of Ulmo has created for you a large variety of articles to enjoy. For instance an article about the Realm of Ulmo's never-ending quest for Iluvatar's Scepter (*suspicious glare at the Realm of Nienna*), a character profile of hot-stud Gimli (it's the braids...), and a Top Ten about exactly why Melkor is the hottest bachelor in Arda. Ever!

*Gets poked in the back by a swordfish* All right, that will be my cue. It is time for us to swim along and let you enjoy this first edition of the Realms Newsletter!

From the Realm of Ulmo we bid you a good day, and watch out the next time you dangle your toes in the water...

~Ninjoo
~LadyCeleborn

Waters of Arda

" ...the Elves say that the spirit of Ulmo runs in all the veins of the world."

Whether it be the great depths of Belegaer, the Great Sea, or a quiet pond in the Shire, the waters of Arda are the same: the veins of Ulmo. The veins of Ulmo are many, and many have formed and disappeared without being noticed by anyone save him alone. Yet some have been seen and remembered in songs and tales, be they great or small. So is it with Cuiviénen, the Water of Awakening, where the Elves woke before the ages of the Sun and the Moon, and gazed upon the stars of Varda Elentári. The world has been reshaped since then, and many mountains and waters been changed, broken and lost, and there is no returning to Cuiviénen, where stars reflected on the surface before the Sun and the Moon were wrought. However, the Elves say that the Water of Awakening was a bay of the Inland Sea of Helcar, which lay far in the east and north of Middle-Earth. That region harboured the mountain upon which Illuin had stood, before Melkor overthrew it.

One of the most renowned waters in Beleriand was the River Sirion, which began at the spring of Eithel Sirion, in the Ered Wethrin. From there it flowed through the Fen of Serech, where it was joined by Rivil, which flowed from Dorthonion, before going through the Pass of Sirion, between the Ered Wethrin and the Echoriath. It was here, in the Pass of Sirion, that the isle of Tol Sirion lay, upon which Finrod Felagund built the tower of Minas Tirith. From the pass it flowed south along the east side of the forest of Brethil, and was joined by the river Mindeb, the sources of which lay in Nan Dungortheb and Ered Gorgoroth. Sirion then joined by Teiglin, which flowed through Brethil, and by Esgalduin, which flowed through Doriath. The River Siron then flowed south and was joined by the river Aros, just before the Fens of Sirion. South of the Fens of Sirion lay the Falls of Sirion, where the river plunged into the ground, surfacing again three leagues (equalling about nine miles or fifteen kilometers) to the south, at the Gates of Sirion. From there it flowed south through Nan Tathren, where it was joined by the river Narog, and then continued onwards to the Mouths of Sirion, a vast delta where the River Sirion emptied into the Bay of Balar.

Read more here.

~Teciltur

Riddles in the Deep Blue:
Fiery and wild though I might be,
My love goes still to the sea.

Realm Events

While on the surface the waters look calm, beneath the surface much has been done over the summer that we can’t help but share it all. Weddings, exiting trips and graduations have given this realm much to celebrate and talk about.
Two of our realmers graduated from high school, and were very eager to share their experiences.

Last June kellymulder graduated from high school. It was great, yet at the same time quite sad to get out of there.
The months from then on until now passed in an amazing speed. She turned 18, started driving classes, worked a lot, and searched for a room in the city where she is studying right now. After quite a lot of effort she found a room in Tilburg (She lives in Holland by the way), and the house was a mess. After a lot of work, her room was great. They had an introduction week, a camp, and now University has started. She is studying International Business, an English course, and there is so much to read that it makes her dizzy just looking at it.

Longbe4thesun (She's the one in the middle) also graduated this past June, and, for the most part, declared she wasn’t going to miss her high school, partially because of the politics that were constantly causing problems in her school district. She also looked forward to the prospect of meeting new people outside of her acquaintance and was just ready to be done with high school.
She moved into her apartment-style dorm the second to last week of August, skipped out of all of the freshman orientation because it was the same old talks that she had received in high school, and met new people with her roommate on their own time.
This past week was her first week at Grand Valley State University, and she thinks she’ll survive, now that she has her reading glasses, so that the text size looks normal.

Meanwhile, Ninjoo took an exciting trip to Bonaire, where she witnessed many a beautiful sunset, beautiful scenery, and beautiful lakes and streams and rivers, and still made time to work on that perfect summer tan.

Our realm has also recently been celebrating the marriages of two of our fellow realmers, Solar Flare and Elioclya! Congratulations, and may the Valar grant you both many, many years of marital bliss to come.

The sea, while calm in appearance, is always in motion beneath the surface. So the next time you venture into Ulmo’s realm, stay awhile and be our guest.

~Longbe4thesun

RPG...translation Role Playing Game!

And for those who have never been involved in one, you don't know what you've missed! Especially if you like to write and tell stories.

In a role playing game, one chooses a character to play. Here in CoE, the world of Tolkien, that is usually an elf, a human (ranger, Gondorian soldier, Rohirrim, etc.), a dwarf, a hobbit, or even an orc. Then you must choose a name for this character. Many who have chosen to be an elf use 'elvish name' sources right here in CoE in the language section to help make that choice, though many others simply open any one of Tolkien's books and pick one from there. Then comes the tough part (though to some that can be the most fun), when you have to create a backstory (or biography) for your character and place it in the character data base here for your fellow players to read.

Once all this is done, then you wander into the RPG Forum site here and stop....! Uh oh, what do I do now? My suggestion is to click on any of the three forums at the top of the page, Totally Tolkien, Tolkien Related and Out of Character Discussion. The first two are those where the actual storylines are played and the third is where the players plan, scheme, chat and sometimes argue about what 'should' be happening in each of the stories. It's a good idea to read the tops of each forum first because that's where the site moderators have placed the Rules and Guidelines for RPG'ing here in CoE, and one does not want to run into one of those guys. The next step is to read some of the threads randomly, just to see how people actually carry a storyline along with their individual posts. Essentially, what each additional member/player is doing is taking the story from the very first post and hopefully expanding it with imagination and creativity, post by post, as they go along.

There are some threads which are 'open', which means anyone who wants to join in the fun can do so...just by clicking on the 'Post Reply' at the bottom of the page of any thread. Then there are those that function on a 'by invitation only' or 'pm me first' basis, and in those cases, it is wise not to just jump into the thread without pm'ing the owner of (the one who began) the thread or you stand the chance of raising the wrath of the owner and the members of that thread. But once you decide which thread's storyline you like and would like to be a part of, you either hit the 'post reply' button or pm the thread owner for permission, and write a response to the previous posts (which of course you have read thoroughly and are answering in kind).

Before you know it, you and your fellow members are engrossed in a tale that brings Tolkien's world to life. Then it's nothing but letting your imagination carry you away into Middle Earth, post after post.

The Realm of Ulmo currently has a role playing game of its own, "Not All Who Wander Are Lost", the charming tale of an elderly Hobbit lady who has a yearning in her elder years to see more of Middle Earth and Bree. While in Bree on business (the dear old gal is a PostMistress in the Shire) with her granddaughter, they have the interesting good fortune to meet up with an elderly Ranger, an Elf, and a Rohannion lass, and they begin a trip over Middle Earth, with their first stop Rivendell. There they will meet with additional folks, one being a dwarf, and the travelers will continue on their journey. It is a gentle tale, though I would imagine not without some trials and tribulations along the way. Delightfully it proves that not all RPG's must necessarily do battle with hordes of orcs to be fun and enjoyable.

As a member of Ulmo and also a moderator for the RPG Forum, I would be delighted to see you find your nerve and try out RPG'ing. It could change your life.

~BerethEdhellen

Character of the Month:
Finrod Felagund, Wisest and Fairest of the Noldor

Finrod is the Sindarin name of a Noldorin Elf, the eldest son of Finarfin, son of Finwë, and of Eärwen, daughter of Olwë, King of the Teleri in Alqualondë. He was the eldest brother of Angrod, Aegnor, Galadriel, and of Orodreth (in the published “Silmarillion”).
His Quenya father name was Findaráto, approximately translating as “Mighty descendant of Finwë”. His mother name was Ingoldo, which was never translated. Felagund was an epessë given to him by the Dwarves that expanded the caves in the rock beneath Taur-en-Fauroth, and built the stronghold of Nargothrond for him. It means “Hewer of Caves” and is apparently Sindarized Khuzdul. Another name that Finrod bore was Nóm (“Wisdom”), and it was bestowed by Bëor and his followers. “The History of Middle-Earth”, volume 10, also mentions that “he was often called by the Eldar Edennil, ‘The Friend of Men’” (HoME, 10: 305). His other titles also include: King of Nargothrond and Lord of Nargothrond.
It is also worth noting that the name of Finrod was initially born by his father in previous versions such as the “Annals of Aman” and the “Later Quenta Silmarillion”, while he was called Inglor. This survives in the name Gildor Inglorion, the elf that Frodo and his companions met on their way to Crickhollow. Together with the latter’s statement that he was “of the House of Finrod”, it has led to speculations that he was Finrod’s son. Yet whether this was the professor’s initial design and he failed to correct the name as he changed his mind, or whether Gildor is simply and more likely the son of a Nargothrond knight called Inglor, there is ample evidence to prove that they were not related.

Click here to read more.

Researched and written by Nenya_Ring

Dating Services Parody – Humorous (or Hammerous) Personal File: Gimli

Name: Gimli, son of Glóin
Meaning: Fire (and has he got a hot temper or what?!)
Nickname: Elf-friend, Lockbearer (better not ask…)
Title: Lord of the Glittering Caves (beat that!)
Hair colour: Various shades from bright red to mahogany
Height: Mmm, better leave those high-heels at home…
Favourite apparel: ring corselets, steel caps and heavy iron boots. Caution: Should you be swept off by a romantic fit, be careful when rushing to kiss that lovely head of his, or you’ll visit the dentist the same night. Also do not attempt to remove said boots after a long walk under the moonlight, unless you want the local SPCA and human rights organization to charge you with attempted genocide.
Favourite music: the “Horn of Helm Hammerhand Orc Requiem”, “Leering Goblin March”, brass pieces – the louder, the better.
Favourite movies: “Orc Mayhem”, “Saw 4: the Uruk-hai”, “Helm’s Deep Axe Massacre”, all produced by Dwarven Terror Inc.
Favourite food: salty pork, red meat off the bone, all washed down with malt beer. Caution: under no circumstance should you allow him to engage in a drinking contest! We are not to be held responsible for any ensuing noises, smells, spills and regurgitation.
Hobbies: when he’s not getting into rows and ugly fights, challenging any howling orc, prissy elf or cocky horse-master he might lay eyes on, our worthy candidate also spends his time chiseling away at the walls of his home. If you invite him over and have trees in your back yard, well… better make sure any sharp objects are out of his reach, or else you’ll end up with more fire-wood than you care for, and get slapped with a charge from “Save the Trees”.
Likes: good parties; contests of any kind (on which occasion he will yell: “May the best Dwarf win!”); dancing (with a row of orc necks and room to swing); hammering at swords, mail shirts and assorted oddments; tall blonde Elven witches with enticing smiles (better do something about that hair and get pointy ears fast!).
Dislikes: grumpy wizards, cross-country racing, ghosts, playing at Stomp-That-Skull, walking in the woods (blame it on traumatic experiences).
Haunting philosophical blurbs: “I’ll let no pointy-ears outscore me!”; “What do trees have to talk about, except the consistency of squirrel droppings?”; “I wish I could muster a legion of Dwarves, fully armed and filthy!” (no arguing there!)

Here he is, graciously inviting you to date him, with a “Certainty of death, small chance of success, what are we waiting for?!”

~ Nenya_Ring

How would you like a Dating Profile wallpaper? Then by all means check out Frodo, Eomer, Boromir andFaramir.

Ulmo’s Multimedia store

Come on in and browse awhile! We don’t mind, in fact we encourage it!

Everything here was created by our own Ulmonites, from Wallpapers and Stationery to Parodies and e-cards. Of course, all this can be found in the Multimedia section at anytime but to make it easier and showcase the range of talent we have in our Realm, we offer these examples in the following categories:

Notecards:Ulmo, Gimli, Mariners, The Great Eye

Wallpapers: Grey Havens, Lorien, The Sea calls us home,

Stationary: Heraldy, Elrond, Argonath, One Ring

Ecards: No place like home!, Uinen, Nessa. And yes, we like creating stuff for other realms...

Last Homely House: Bilbo's Muffins, Frodo's Favorite Bachelor Hobbit Stew, Otherworldly oven-browned potatoes, Pippin's Carrot Salad, Rosie's Apple Sauce

Celeborn’s Karaoke Bar: Feelin' Good by Éomer andYeah!. Yeah! won CKB's Song of the Month in a previous edition of the Council Courier.

Bookmarks: Aragorn, Gold of Ulmo, Minas Tirith

Thank you again for visiting Ulmo’s multimedia store! Find anything you like? I’m sure you did. Watch your step as you leave and do remember to recommend us…won’t you?

~Naurlas

Top Ten Reasons why Melkor is the Hottest Bachelor in Arda, EVER!

10) He is royalty!
Do you think he's got that King of the World title for nothing? Compared to him all the others are just small princelings and such like. Though you don't want to see the state he has left them in.

9) He quit a boyband to go his own way.
Where do you think John Lennon, Robbie Williams and Justin Timberlake got their highly successful Let's-Go-Solo idea from?

8 ) ‘Cause Diamonds Are a Girl’s Best Friends.
Had enough of hanging around a boyfriend who thinks jewels are sooo tacky? Trust us, he’s just being a cheap Orc! For the real deal, get three Silmarils for the price of one from De Melkors! Then again, snatching those away from him could be a real hassle, so get ready for those best-sellers to be put into practice. *shudders*

7) He owns some serious property.
Two huge fortresses, with countless halls and secret dark tunnels to your heart's content. Try strolling into those - but don't blame it on us if you come across any hidden Balrogs, they're not in the blueprints. And by all means, if you do come across a Balrog, under NO circumstances pull out a wooden stick with a marshmallow at the end and point it at him. Or, maybe you should, we love to be entertained...

6) He’s got clout.
The only guy who’s got dragons flapping their wings round his little finger. Got any annoying Elves cowering away in some out-of-Arda-musty cave? Then just ask your date to play ”Fetch!” with his pet! You’ll luuurve what he could to the place...

5) Void-surfing.
Melkor is the only one to be able to claim Void-surfing as his own invention. Having a Holiday Mansion on the wild shores of the Void, he spends a lot of his free time (which is quite a lot at the moment, as he's on Sabbatical) ridin' the waves. This sport truly is the Lord of all extreme sports.

4) Cool 007-like gadgets.
In need of an instant romantic campfire? Fire up a Balrog. Sick of that blasted sunlight shining through? Hang up the Unlight Cloak! He has it all. Also owner of the "Let's-pretend-I'm-Oromë" shield, the "I-totally-lurve-the-Eldar" attitude and the only APS (Arda Positioning System) that locates Gondolin.

3) He is a great host.
Even when an Elf comes to claim some kind of "stolen shiny", Melkor gives him a place with the best view in the world FOR FREE! And he can stay there for all eternity! Wow... Now that's what I call hospitality.

2) He's a best-selling author.
He wrote "1000 Odd Bondage Moments" and "How To Smite a Pissed Off Elf with a Mace", both pieces widely known across Middle-Earth.

1) He is in(to) chains.
'Nuff said.

Still don't believe us? Then have a look here and here. What do you think now?

Created by Melkor's Head Torturer (Ninjoo) and Melkor's Dungeon Commander (Nenya_Ring)

New Fishes In Ulmo’s Waves

In our Realm, we greet new members at their first arrival in the Realm, giving direction as to where to go and just introducing other Realmers. Here are the newbie experiences of two newbies; ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~ and Gwaihir_Goldenfeather.

As Ulmo is one of the largest Realms at this moment, you might expect a newbie to disappear completely among all the mermaids, fishes, dolphins and seagulls we’ve got going about in the Realm. But nothing is further from the truth; fresh Ulmonites are drawn into the deep waters immediately! For me, the step to join Ulmo wasn’t such a hard one. I already knew a lot of people in the Realm, so I knew I would fit in with that crazy crowd.
And right I was, because the moment I introduced myself, I got nothing but friendly and funny replies, all wishing me well and a great time in the Realm. How could you not feel welcomed after that? I mostly threw myself on the games (I was a great Games Forum addict for a loooooong time); classics like The Person Above Me and The Prediction Game, but also new inventions, like Three Magic Words, all helped mingle with my fellow Realmers.
But still the special newbie threads have been very handy, as an Introduction thread, to make your very own arrival announcement, a Personal Survey to get to know your fellow Ulmonites and, of course, the thread “What’s a Newbie to do?”- a first guide and signpost for every newbie’s first visit.

What I like best about Ulmo, is that there’s something for everyone’s taste. Whether you love playing games with an insane group, or enjoy a challenging debate, or want a place where you can let go all your creative writings…..it’s all there. That really makes it a fun place; the people are very different in interests and backgrounds, but they form one group nonetheless.

Are you curious about us now? Thinking of sticking a toe in our waters? Then come on in and jump right in! I’ve been floating through the Realm for a few weeks now, and I can say from experience that no one in our waters bites….often.

By ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~

Back in July, I, along with numerous other Tolkien lovers, joined the Council of Elrond. I was so thrilled to be a part of this group of fans, and enthusiastically dived right in, checking out all the delights the site had to offer. However, as time went on, I began to realize that what I was searching for couldn't be found in the places I was looking. After a few more days , it suddenly dawned upon me that although the games were very enjoyable, the forums filled with interesting debates (and lots of drooling!), and the art gallery truly impressive, what I really wanted more than anything was to meet other Tolkien fans and feel a sense of community with other members.

Then I heard about the Realms. I was curious but unsure, so I asked a friend of mine (a lovely staff member and avatar expert) what exactly they were. She wrote back, describing to me what she knew about them from her own experience. I was excited--maybe this was what I had been looking for! I quickly secured the specific page, and found myself staring in total confusion at all the strange realm names I had never heard before (I haven’t read the Silmarillion). I ended up taking the realm personality quiz, and, following its advice, became a member of the Realm of Ulmo.

The first thing I did once I was officially enrolled as an Ulmonite, was to introduce myself. I gave a quick blurb about myself, and waited for someone to reply...but without much hope. "They probably won't even notice," I thought. Then, the very next day, I found 3 welcome messages posted for me! A few days later there were 2 more, and I even received a welcome pm from a very thoughtful realm member. When I posted in the forum "How do I do this?" (just for computer illiterates like myself!), I quickly received two in-depth and very helpful replies. Ever since then I have not ever been surprised with the kind, thoughtful, and welcoming nature of my fellow Ulmo members. This realm has the definite advantage of being small enough to foster a sense of community, yet large enough so that there is always a constant buzz of activity, new ideas, and growth. So, to all those newbies out there who are feeling a little lost and alone in this massive site, if you are curious about this realm, do swim right in! I promise you will feel welcome and have a great time.

By Gwaihir_Goldenfeather

Ulmo’s Games

Here on Ulmo’s beach we’ve got quite a few things going on, and not least among those things are our games. Now aside from the volleyball pit that’s set up on the beach in front of the palm trees, there are quite a few games to participate in. We’ve got Literary Trivia, Hangman, and Three Magic Words game to name a few.

Our resident games guru is Vaulrir. He started many of the games threads that we Ulmonites know and love. Vaulrir also started the ‘annual’ realm quiz, which divides the participants into two teams and lets them test their knowledge of a certain topic against one another.

Some of the favorite games of the Ulmonites are:

The Prediction Game — The name says it all. You state a prediction, and the next person to post tells the poster whether or not their prediction was true and posts a prediction of their own.

I Never – A spin-off of the drinking game, you state something you’ve never done and the next poster says whether they have done that or not. No alcoholic products are involved! Just lots of soft drinks and water.

The Person Above Me – This game can be found in the games forum as well. You just state something about the person above you. Just make sure to be nice!

This or That – The person who posted before you gives you a choice between two things. Sometimes the choices are easy, sometimes they’re incredibly hard. And you never can tell what you’re gonna get!

Get to Know your Realmers – You ask a question for the person below you. This game helps us to… well; get to know the other Realmers.

These aren’t the only games we play here in Ulmo. Nope, we’ve got a throne made out of coral set up for our game of Master of the Seas, a nice corkboard for our captions from “What are they really saying”, and a nice campfire where we tell our stories from “Post your writing”. No matter what you play, Ulmo’s games are definitely fun in the sun!

~nippip_dna_yrrem

Image The quest for the Sceptre

One of the things that have brought us Ulmonites closer to each other and made us a tighter group is the never-ending race for Iluvatar's Sceptre. The feeling of a big group of people working together, encouraging one another to do their best and congratulating each other for a work well done is unique and marvellous. If anyone needs help with computer programs we explain it to them. If anyone needs new ideas we give it to them. It's a wonderful feeling to know that if you're stuck with something or completely out of ideas, a bunch of people is always there, ready to put you track again.

I think the reason why Ulmo's been so successful in the race so many times is that it really is a big group effort in our realm. We work really hard together and sometimes we win and sometimes we lose, but we win or lose as a group, not as individuals. If everything goes as planned we have a big celebration party, if it goes less good we console each other and say that we'll make it the next round.

The race for the Sceptre is also a good and fun activity between the different realms. It's always interesting to see what the other realms come up with; let it be multimedia, articles, recipes or trivial pursuit cards. And what's more thrilling than to see your realm make a big leap up in points? The last week of time before the sceptre is awarded is the most exciting one. Last round was especially a really tight race, where Nienna and Ulmo where neck to neck into the final day, where Nienna pulled the longer straw in the end. Those kind of races are the best, where the realms really have to fight into the last day.

But one thing's for sure, though we lost the previous round, we will come back again and fight for it :evil:

~figwit~

Riddles in the Deep Blue:
Through whispering breeze and enchanted light,
I journey unlooked for, to bring hope, and fight.

Know the answer?

Administrator of the Month!

The two march wardens from Ithilien had been tracking gwendeth for several days now, following the woman who had two large packs tied behind her saddle.

MW #1 asked, "Do you think we should stop her, perhaps search those bags.

MW #2 shook his head. "We can't search without a warrant from Queen Rivka but we could at least question her.

MW #1 agreed and they closed the distance between them and the woman who had been oblivious to their presence.

Unaware that she was being followed, Gwendeth, Accounts Admin for the CouncilofElrond.com website, blithely directed her horse toward the path leading down into the Valley of Imladris, and the Last Homely House.

When someone suddenly called her name, however, she turned around in surprise.

MW 1: Gwendeth! Halt were you are!

MW 2: (whispered) Want me to bind her hands?

MW 1: Nah. She's not a flight risk. Where could she go? CoE is her home.

MW 2: Alright....then have a seat on that log over there, gwendeth. We have some questions for you.

Gwendeth: "Questions for me?" she asked, and dismounting her horse, blinked in confusion at the two march wardens who'd stopped her.

MW 1: Yes, ma'am. Now then, gwendeth. We hear that you've been breaking and entering threads all over CoE, and leaving with bags of signatures and garbage from those threads, which is petty theft, you know. What do you have to say about that?

Gwendeth: " 'Breaking and entering'?" she replied, and was thoughtful. "Well… I suppose one could call it that - but only when someone's signature breaks the CoE Site Rules. - And, I make sure I notify the account owner when I do. It is part of my 'job', you know."

MW 2: I see. But we've also noticed you have dealings with children...children of 12 and 13. You do realize that you need a permit from Queen Rivka to deal in child care. Do you have such a permit?

Gwendeth: "Of course, I do!" Gwendeth's gaze was steady, and as she fetched her permits and citations for the march wardens to look at, she continued to explain... "Queen Rivka gave them to me herself! - And, really, it's not 13-year-olds I'm concerned with - it's members who are under 13. It's the law. It's the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998 - CoE can't have any members under 13, or we risk the whole site being shut down - permanently!! You don't want THAT to happen - do you?" she inquired.

The two march wardens were beginning to feel a bit uncomfortable, wiggling in their seats. It seemed that maybe they had moved too quickly. gwendeth seemed to have all her permits and approvals in order.

MW # 1: Well, gwendeth, perhaps you can tell us what else you are given the approval to do here in CoE. It might save us following you around CoE and free us to attend to more important problems here.

Gwendeth: (Musing for a moment) "Well… let's see. Besides checking Signatures - which can't be more than 3 or 4 lines of text high - and images can't be more than 60 pixels high - the same size as Avatars, and watching out for Underage Members, one thing I do is keep a lookout for Account names that aren't appropriate for the website. Sometimes people try to register with banned words," she sighed and shook her head sadly. "When that happens, I have to either delete their account and email them as to why; or, I can offer them a Name change. That's something else I do sometimes."

Pausing again, "But, another thing that is very important, is helping with lost Passwords. I check every day to try and help people who've forgotten theirs, or are having troubles getting logged in to CoE."

With a hopeful smile, gwendeth looked at the two march wardens. "Maybe you can help me!" she then said. "If you can pass along to everyone you see, to please make sure they add the [email protected] email address to their safe list or contacts list?" With a sigh, "So many people don't, you see… and I really have a problem with aol email addresses thinking my replies are just 'spam'."

MW # 1 nodded. "We'd be glad to help you in any way we can to make CoE a better place, m'lady.

Gwendeth: Biting her lip, "Forgive me sirs, but I'm due in Imladris by nightfall - I'm going to read one of my Sindarin Poems at the Hall of Fire. Have I answered all your questions?" gwendeth asked, and waited for their permission to remount her horse and continue on her way…

March warden # 1 glanced at March warden # 2, then back at gwendeth. "Well, um..er..gwendeth, yes, you have. I think you've cleared everything up nicely. By all means, do continue on your way. We may be there ourselves tonight and will be looking forward to hearing your reading.

March warden # 2 added, "And we're very sorry if we've caused you any concern. We were just doing our jobs, m'lady.

As the two March wardens watched gwendeth ride off, MW # 1 said suddenly, "I had no idea she did so much here in CoE, did you?"

MW # 2 answered, "No, I certainly didn't. Do you know what? I think, given her devotion to duty and the amount of tough issues she has to handle, I'm going to suggest that she be made Administrator of the Month!

And that is how gwendeth became our Administrator of the Month.

Congratulations and keep up the good work, gwendeth.

~BerethEdhellen

Mod of the month!

A different kind of interview with CoE's Book Club mod, Figwit.

Somewhere under the Misty Mountains…

As we look in on Figwit, we find her resting next to one of the many icy streams that course in a tangled thread under a thousand mile mountain range said to have been raised in the beginning times by Melkor in his hapless war against the Valar. And it seems, our valiant Book club Mod doing the same as she wages a pitched and valiant battle of her own. But on the side of right and bright of course.

For one graced with the rare gift of sharp insight, keen commentary and a gentle but firm hand of leadership in the Book Club and Books vs. Movies section she’d been struck the cruelest blow. She had ‘Thesaurausitis’. A grave condition which renders the victim incapable of using anything but the most absurd and inane words at the most absurd and inane times. But, brave girl she is, soldiers on…

In the scant light of the cavern we see Figwit struggling to compose a letter to her fellow CoE’rs…

“Fellow members of CoE both old and new, this is Figwit…you know that most idiotically kind and annoyingly silly of Mods and I send you greetings accordingly! Wish you all were equipped with mind-reading devices or some telepathic abilities of some kind, but then this letter would be absolutely unnecessary wouldn’t it?

As I lurk here in the scary yet comforting shadows by a poisenously bubbling stream on hiatus from my duties, I’ve had the slightly forced opportunity to give free reign to my thoughts about my time on CoE and I can honestly say its been a scandalous waste of my preciousssss time and even more of my amazing tons of energy and creativity! When I first came across it I was already enmeshed in Tolkien’s world but I’ve had a chance to re-visit it through all of your insane gallery comments, great yet lengthy forum essays and amazing / detailed / daring / hilarious (pick the one that fits you) Books vs. Movies articles as well. It has made it fresh and strangely disturbing all over again.

To quote myself - ‘The point of the BC is to provide readers, especially of the new variety, with some food for thought, so the ride Tolkien takes you on is not only exciting but also interesting.’ I hope I have done so. I know for me, this has been one of the most interesting and as-closed-to-being-married-I'll-ever-get experiences of my life. Other than of course running into Sean Bean, naked, in my backyard, waiting for me to heal his heart and fix up his drinking problem (oh, wait, I made that up to) and maybe that amazingly hot, sweaty afternoon in the exquisite company of one Trent Reznor (I only partially made that one up - it was, in fact, dusk).

I would like to pause here and give a huge THANKYOUVERYMUCHILOVEYOUSOMUCHYOUROCK to my co-mod, the most persistent man in Book Club Mod-land, PotbellyHairyfoot. PbHf you are the MAN! THE MAN! Like Samuel L. Jackson, but only waaaaaay, waaaay cooler. And thanks for that. I would also, during this pause, like to thank all the other great and wonderful and inspiring and beautiful and supportive and creative mods that made the Book Club a great place to mod, and who are too easily forgotten: the slightly insane Trignifty, the admirable Doctor K, the witty Nienna-of-the-Valar and the amazingly brilliant atalante_star.

On a final note, I’d like to say 'Trent Reznor is a God amongst men and deserving of our endless praise, devotion and some drool' and give a big albeit mushy kiss to the Realm of Ulmo for providing me the opportunity to write this, but next time guys, maybe not have this post picked up by a mean big cross-eyed Balrog named Clark? He keeps breathing ashes in my ear asking me if its all shadowy and red in my head like it is in his and then poking me wanting to know the flight schedules for those big pretty winged Disney-eyed fellbeasts? Like I’d know.

Anyway, see all of you soon. Until then (to quote Trig) Be the bookworm!

P.S. Trent Reznor = God amongst men => complete devotion, got that?

~Naurlas

Dear figgy ~

It is my honor as Scribe of Ulmo to pass this missive on to you which was found in a bottle floating on the shores of Lake Superior near my home. A note inside addressed to me requested that I pass this on to you. Please read and answer. I will be awaiting your timely response. Thank you so much.

LinweSingollo
Scribe of Ulmo

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Official Proclamation From Ulmo, Lord of Waters, King of the Sea~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dear Most Honorable Servant of the Mighty Realm of Ulmo;

Dearest ~figwit~

~Suilad! ~

It has reached the ears of Ulmo, the Mighty Lord of the Waters himself, that you have served him faithfully and with devotion. He has heard of your generous contributions of time and talent, your willingness to guide others in his Realm and he is most pleased. His other servants and your fellow Ulmonites have named you "Member of the Month". Therefore, Lord Ulmo desires to present you with a rare and unprecedented gift. At the beginning of the sun's course, he will rise from his watery home to give a mighty blast on the enchanted Ulumúri, which will whisk you away from your world to that of Middle Earth. You are granted one day to do as you desire. Lord Ulmo has only one stipulation: lest Middle Earth become tainted with the devices and customs of the modern world, you must return to your own world by the stroke of midnight; else you shall be doomed forever to scrape barnacles off sunken ships and feed salted seaweed and hapless mariners to his pet kraken whilst in the hideous guise of an orc. Use your time wisely and enjoy your journey.

In his service,
Ossë and Uinen, Official Couriers
of the Lord Ulmo

PS. So that the Lord Ulmo can better prepare your journey, please fill out the following enclosed survey. Hannad!

1. What mode of transportation do you choose and who would you desire as your tour-guide?

I'd really love to have it simple and easy; therefore I'd choose walking. The feeling of the grass under my bare feet, the touch of bushes and straws touching my hands and legs and the sweet scent of the flowers all around me.. It would be excellent! As for a tour-guide.. A certain long, gorgeous but a bit rugged looking ranger would do wonders as a tour-guide I'm sure And I bet he would be able to show me everything I'd like as well!

2. Which denizen of ME would you most like to meet and why? You are allowed one personal question. What do you ask them?

Tricky.. I have to say I would choose Bilbo Baggins. He really intrigues me with all his adventures! And he's a hobbit as well, and we all know that hobbits love parties and food. A visit in Bag End too wouldn't be wrong of course One personal question? I would probably ask him where he gets all his food from and who's the one making it, he seems to have so much of it!

3. What gift representing your country will you bestow upon them? What would you like them to bestow upon you?

Horns of a reindeer for sure! I think they would look really lovely on one of his walls! I would be more than glad to get one of his big maps; they're so well done, beautiful and precise. It would be excellent to frame it and hang it on my bedroom wall!

4. We will exchange your strange, uncomfortable-looking garb for that of ME. How do you desire to dress? Please specify color and if you desire jewels to accompany your dress. (Due to unforseen defects, we regret that gold rings are no longer distributed.)

Ooh, I adore the clothes in ME! (Who wouldn't? ) Though they're not precisely made for walking in the woods, I would want to wear a beautiful dress of some light material. Maybe one similar to Eowyn's white dress; I absolutely loved it! But I'd like mine to be a light forget-me-not blue to match my eyes Then I'd like some beautiful leather sandals that go with the dress. I also love jewels, so I'd like a lot of them as well Silver rings and bracelets for both hands and a single silver necklace with some nice figure. Some silver jewels in my hair would be nice too!

5. Upon your arrival, you will be given a leather-bound journal in which to record your impressions and perhaps make sketches. (There will be no...what do you name them?..."cameras" permitted.) What would you like to sketch? Please favor us with a sketch of a cherished place in your world. What will we see?

If I were given the choice I'd sketch everything I put my eyes on! (I'm not good at drawing though, but let's just pretend I am? ) If I favoured you with a sketch of a cherished place in my world, you would most definitely be sitting on a cliff, watching over the sea at sunset. It would be almost windstill and quiet, you could only hear the seagulls crying in the distance and feel a light summer breeze caressing your cheeks and hair. The red sunset would reflect in the water making a stunning view, while a fish that jumped would cause peaceful rings that float on the water... Places like these fill my world, but I never get tired of them, and I never will.

6. Your time will be brief. Therefore you are allowed to visit one place in ME. Where would you like to journey? Your favorite ME denizen will accompany you to provide companionship and entertainment along the way. What would you like them to do as you travel?

I'd choose Imladris. All the waterfalls, valleys, green nature and the halls and houses built by the Elves would be a stunning view!
I'm sure Bilbo would do wonders entertaining me with all his adventures as we walk along! A song here and there would be really nice too

7. When you arrive at your desired destination, you shall be given a tour. What do you wish to see first? Second?

The river Bruinen would be my first desired destination. To feel the scent of the water in the air and hear the rush of the water flowing infront of you would be priceless! It would be great if Elrond would be kind and manipulate the water a bit as well..
The second place I'd like to visit is the place where they held the Council of Elrond

8. Your meals will be reserved ahead of time. What do you desire to eat and who do you wish to be your dinner companions? You will be allowed three guests.

What I desire to eat? Anything! (Not orc-ish food though ) I'd love to try out meals made by hobbits, elves, men and dwarves. The only thing I absolutely would like to have on the table are fruits and some really good desserts! No more than three guests, eh? Well, Gandalf would be one, Eomer another and... Legolas the third! All three of them are different in their own way, so I think it would be quite an interesting dinner party

To read more of figgy's interview just click here.

Recorded and submitted by LinweSingollo,
ad hoc Scribe of Ulmo,
Assistant Courier to Ossë and Uinen,
Resident Hobbit

Ulmo’s Recommended Author of the Month:

HARUKI MURAKAMI

I guess the most difficult piece one has to write is that which deals with something – or someone – so close at heart, that vision thus becomes distorted, warped; closeness adds a clumsiness and a sense of groping for words that keep failing them. I’ve been pacing around the house for days, trying to grab hold of some of my racing thoughts and have them line up nicely to tell a story. His story.
For those of you fond of neatly done biographies and carefully catalogued lists of publications, you’ll find all these at the end of this profile. But those of you who enjoy story-telling just grab a coral chair and make yourselves comfortable.
Haruki Murakami, our protagonist, was born one winter day – nothing special about that. He grew up in what he sees as the grey, drab years after the war, and then went to study at Waseda University in Tokyo, where he landed in the middle of turmoil: the student discontent boiling in the ‘60s. He majored in American literature and would always nurture an admiration and fondness for hard-boiled fiction and jazz that will haunt all his work.
In 1974, turning his back to the routine career of the regular Japanese “salary men”, he opened and ran, together with his wife Yoko, a rather successful jazz club named “Peter Cat”, after his pet, which would be in business for 7 years. The legacy is a tremendous experience and insight into human nature, an aloofness and fondness for the bizarre that seem to characterize many of his characters, as well as thousands of jazz LP records adding to a staggering and ever growing collection.
If you’re wondering about how and when he became a writer, nothing simpler – and yet stranger – about that: he was cheering for his favorite team during a baseball game and it suddenly occurred to him he could start writing. So on his way back he went to buy a pen and notepad, returned home and just set about the business of writing. And he hasn't stopped ever since.

Read more about the author here.

~Nenya_ring

Ai Eru – or a day in my Life in the Watery Realm of Ulmo

The sun is up, the light is sweet, the cappuccino – good. And there is nothing better than plunging in Ulmo’s waters and meeting your fellow realmers. I am going to declare it the morning of all mornings, at least for this summer.
I see Uinen, the lovely Maia, hovering graciously over the waters of the dawn. I can almost hear the soft whispering of the waves on such a calm day…
“Hello. What are you doing?”
(“Something very important, can’t you tell? An e-card for the realm of Ulmo, featuring Uinen. And you are definitely DISTURBING me!”) “Hi boss. I was just revising the procedures for the Operational Programme – Environment.”
“Good, good, that a girl – the rest of you should follow her example.”
(“Yeah right!”)
“Ok. I need you to stop what you are doing. You have to write a material on training programmes and the European Union – here, I printed the email with the request. I need the document asp. It’s for the Minister – look in the other documents we have written on the subject previously!”
(“We, who? You mean me!”) “Yes, boss.”
He leaves and I sigh – the day started so promisingly… This document will take me some hours.
I think I will find some inspiration if I just look a bit in Ulmo Activities. Mmmm, I think it is high time to change my awie. Let’s look in the “general pool”… No, definitely not… This looks nice… Found it! And I am going to keep it! Mhahaha!
What do Ulmonites read these days (surely NOT some documents on European Funds!). Everybody is talking about The Shadow of the Wind. I wonder if I can find it here; even a translation would be good…I browse the Internet, “lending” some attention, every now and then, to the document on the European Union. And eventually sending it, via e-mail, to the boss.
The phone rings. One of my colleagues answers.
“It’s for you”, and hands me the phone.
“Hello? Yes”.
This is my other boss – a lady who starts some of her conversations with “my dear butterfly” – and then you know you are in big trouble! No, it is not comfortable having two bosses, but the story is a long one – how much time did you say you have? Anyway.
“Yes, Mrs. M. Yes, I will do the budget for the programme. The press strategy? No, I don’t have one yet (“You did not say anything before on having one!”). But I think I can provide one by tomorrow. Yes, I will put that on the site” Talking about sites, what better way to learn to do a strategy than trying your hand at Master of the Seas? Nenya is now the Master and she is pretty devious…but I know her very well (she is my friend, and I am sure I will find something... and there is a devilish smile spreading over my face).
I start writing…an answer to Figgy, who likes my awie. Oh, well, I am proud of it too… And Celebwen is in Paris – oh, l’amour! I tell her that she must post some pictures, or else!
I sigh and prepare to start my work…on the aforesaid e-card.
“You have to pay more attention when you write a paper!” (“Where did YOU come from???”) The boss, the first one, storms into the office.
“Now, I have made some corrections – rewrite the document!”
“Yes, boss. What was wrong with it?”
“You need to put a space between these two paragraphs and add these comas here!”
“Ai, Eru!” I say out loud, and have to face a few bewildered looks.
Oh, well… You know you are obsessed with LoTR when…

~Uinen_Alcarin

Top Ten Reasons why the Realm of Ulmo is the best Realm to be a Member of.

1. We're the first Realm ever to have completely wrecked the 2.00 boundary of Realm Points.
Honestly, we pulled out our canons, blew some large holes in the thing, sailed up, over, around and through it, turned around and shot it again, after which we spent the rest of the day on a beach drinking rum.

2. We did that twice in a row.
Though we were a bit more subtle this time. Torpedoes work so much better after all.

3. Water is the strongest force on Earth.
And on Arda. Probably on Mars as well, though we're not completely sure about Jupiter just yet.

4. We speak Whale.

5. Our Realm Head is also the Realms Admin.
We don't want to brag, but she's also the Multi-Media Admin, Palantír Mod, TU Admin and Resident Éomer Fancier. Some of us aren't too happy with the last one...

6. We have a Realm Pet called Kraken. *angelic look*

7. At least we can make funny references to dwelling in the ocean, pretending to be a fish.

8. We're the first Realm to make the Realms Newsletter.
Thanks for reading, btw. We haven't set the standard too high, now have we? Hehehe

9. Our characters often resemble the sea: mostly calm and cool, but once roused: fierce and unstoppable, ready to defend our Vala to the bitter end.

10. We were the first Realm to have participated in creating the former Council Courier.

~Ninjoo

Thought we were done? Finished? Nope, not quite yet...

Ulmo’s Crazy Awards of the Month

The Crazy Awards Panel has got together, donned their musing Ulmo caps, and has decided that the level of craziness in our realm needs to find its way into our newsletter. After all, we are the proud, cozy, bustling abode of the StCP Head Honcho herself, and of a boatload of assorted members, all floating and darting about, comfortably wrapped in their craziness and creativity. So many Ulmonites have pitched in the past Scepter Race or have come up with great ideas and have wriggled their fins all the time in our threads, that we feel they deserve due recognition.

Thus I, your Cracked Elven Witch, have dragged the Insane Blue Mermaid (a.k.a. Uinen_Alcarin) out of her noisy waters, and after much chatting, seasoned with some screaming and persuasive whispering on the side, have pulled this month’s winners out of our hats. So let our Teleri Wardens sound their sea shells and flutes, for we’re about to unceremoniously whack our Ulmonites with their awards!

The first title to be awarded goes to LinweSingollo, that leader among leaders, most hobbitish of hobbits and most watchful of our realm’s hawks, hereafter dubbed the Whip-Cracking Ulmonite of the Month! Thank you for your great work in getting us off our beach towels and out of the pools to let our creative vein shine for Ulmo! You’ve always been there to encourage us, with a no-nonsense, crazy go-for-it attitude that’s like salve on our weary fins.

For the second award Melkor himself has sent a devious message from the Void, urging us to recognize that most cracked of our crazy bunch – and reveling in it! – Ninjoo, the Kraken Summoner of the Month! Thank you for being our software wiz, always ready to answer questions and to lend a hand – especially at whip-cracking, moping and moaning, those most scientific and fun of all activities!

The third award puts the spotlight on our unconventional artists, and recognizes ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~ as our Photo-Snapping Ranger of the Month! Thank you for actively and cheerfully putting your art to the service of lord Ulmo during the past two months! And to fully revel in her creations, you can have a look here.

He’s rash, he’s brash, he’s a brainiac and one fun to be with at that! Here he comes, gracefully swimming to claim his prize as Quiz-Flooding Member of the Month! Our thanks to Vaulrir for oh-so-patiently hosting our realm quiz that keeps all us fishies on our toes!

Now let me hear a round of fin-clapping for that all-comforting and rough-edge smoothing Realm Guardian of Ulmo, who through her constant watch and dedication has earned herself the title of All-Caring Ulmonite of the Month! Never have our merepeople been shepherded - and at times dragged back to calmer waters - by a better marshal!

The realm catwalk is now triumphantly trodden by our last winner – fresh from the shallow newbie waters: Gwaihir_Goldenfeather as our Eager-Beaver Newbie of the Month! This is to show our appreciation for your quick diving into Ulmo’s depths, and for coming up with the great idea of our own insane debate club!

By Nenya_Ring and Uinen_Alcarin

Picture taken by ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~

Back To The Sea

I hold a shell up to my ear,
and listen.
Listen to the sea calling me
Me without gill or fin
Back to my very origin.

Way back
Back to the saline sea of my mother's womb
Back to life's ultimate swim
From a safe quiet sea
To begin my life and be.

Back further still
Back to the moment of conception
In a sea of love
Poised to start the first inning.
I am back to my very beginning.

Then ages and ages back
Back a billion years or so,
When a primitive organism was I
Climbing out of a gigantic sea
A new species, the start of my family tree.

Mollie Odell Bourne

Ulmo's Magic Words

This is to show off our creative side and challenge you to word-sparring, as the minstrels of old used to. Four words are given to the next realm, listed in bold in the last line of the poem. They should be used to write a short bit about characters and/or events on Arda, which in the end should contain the following four words so that the next realm could pick up the challenge. As first posters, our words are listed in the introduction. We can only hope you enjoy this and reply with a wonderful creation!

Words – words that glitter like quiet waves in the sun, words that drip dew under the dawn’s shy caress… Words that cry out with the anguish of our gulls, that sigh with a fresh scented breath, long drawn in the dusk, before summer’s end. Words that roll with the thunder, that flash out beautiful and terrible as lightning. Here are our Realm’s Magic Words – for you to enjoy, and to pick up the tale in your turn:
gathering; enchanted; tidings; blue.

Ulmo first hears about the Eldar

In the gathering dark I lie back
And let my weary thoughts take
The path of dreams that never lack
The fragrance of the sea, nor break
With dawn that blazes.

As drops weave their magic all around,
Each tiny voice strange tidings brings
Of fair children whose songs in mirth abound,
Who look upon my sea and sparkling springs
With their enchanted gazes.

I smile in wonder and my laughter pools
In bubbling fountains and by misty falls,
In echoing grottos and blue lakes where rules
The stern silence of the depths that calls
To see their wondrous faces.

And as I lay my harp to rest
Here is my challenge, for I do not jest -
It is my wont to put your muse to test:
Merry, dreaming, groves, nest.

~Nenya_Ring

And so we put our Realm Newsletter to rest now. Thank you for taking the time for stopping by. We hope you have enjoyed reading it as much as we have enjoyed putting it together.

Most of all a big Thank You to all my fellow realm members for doing such an amazing job of putting this all together. You are the best!

~LadyCeleborn

Credits:
Banners made by Nenya_ring, ~Celebwen~of~Ithilien~, Teciltur

A special 'Thank you' to Morwenna for helping with the links.

[Edited on 6/11/2006 by LadyCeleborn]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email