Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Ringhilwen
Ilúvatar's Designer & Haldir\'s Little Squirrel
Send Message
Post Trig & Ring's Weekly Dose of CoE Knowledge...
on: December 22, 2002 03:06
NOTE: The information in this thread might be outdated a bit. For a refreshed version: check the "On The Menu: Errandir's portion of CoE knowledge!" - thread .

A lot of new members make the comment that there is too much stuff to do at CoE....well, it's TRUE! :heart: There are tons of things within this community that can keep you entertained for hours. However, it can be a bit hard to learn what all of these things are, and trying to learn all the member functions can be quite the task.

So, we've decided, as your lovely "CoE Guides", to take a little time every couple of days to explain a certain part of the website. We'll tell you all the relevant things you'll need to know in order to become well acquainted with the website.

For each post we make, we'll try to include the following things...
~All the ways to access the area
~Things that are included within that area
~The functions
~How to submit to that area and the points you get for it (if applicable)
~Additional rules for that section
~The person(s) to contact about that area

So, keep checking this thread for continuous updates!

~Trig and Ring, your "CoE Guides"

[Edited on 30/4/2003 by Ringhilwen]

[Edited on 1/7/2007 by gondolinian]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
Post RE: Trig & Ring's Weekly Dose of CoE Knowledge...
on: December 22, 2002 05:34
Since many new members head to the Forums first, that’s going to be our first “Weekly Dose of Knowledge” entry….

The CoE Forums

~The forums are places where you can post your thoughts, replies, questions, comments, opinions, commentary, etc, in a reasonable manner. Each forum has a different focus, so be sure to read the descriptions of each so that you can place your threads and posts in the correct forum. Moderators will move any threads that have been posted in the wrong area.

~Forums can be accessed through the “Forum” link at the top of your page, or through the navigation menu on the left side of your screen.

~When you are posting, be aware of the Board Rules as well as the Forum Decorum guidelines. We want everyone to be able to write their thoughts, and following these guidelines will keep the forum a fun and friendly place to post.

~Within each forum, you can post a new thread (click the “New Topic” link at the top/bottom of the forum page), post a new poll (“New Poll” link), or post a reply in a thread someone has already started (“Post reply” link). Within the polls, other members can vote and reply to the choices you have submitted.

Forum Features

~There are several features that allow you to enhance the text you enter in replies, threads, and polls. You can creat bold, italic, underlined, and colored text, along with many other features. These, and all the additional options for formatting text, are listed here in the Forum FAQ.

~To the right side of your text box, you’ll see emoticons. You can use these (sparingly) in your posts. To use them, simply click on the icon you want, and it will be added to your post. :heart::blush:

~You can easily quote something a member says in his/her post, by clicking the “quote” button at the bottom of the user’s post. Clicking this will open up the normal reply box, and the entire post will be quoted. You can add your responses beneath the quote.

~To PM (private message) another member about their post, you can simply click the “PM” button at the bottom of their post. This will take you to your PM box, with the user name and the thread title already in the PM.

Forum Contacts

~If you have questions, thoughts, or suggestions about a certain forum, you can PM the moderator of the forum. The names of each forum’s moderator(s) are listed next to the forum name on the Board Index page. It’s recommended that you PM these moderators first, before PMing another moderator or administrator, as they will be the most knowledgeable about that specific forum.

So, there you have it…..now you know most of what there is to know about posting in the CoE forums in general. Happy posting!

-Trig and Ring

[Edited on 23/12/2002 by Ringhilwen]
Trignifty
Ruler and Court Jester of Planet Awesome
Send Message
on: December 22, 2002 10:50
Alright guys...another thing that we'll do about once or twice a week is a "Focus" on a particular area. The purpose for this is to get you acclimated a bit to a certain area of the site and maybe increase your appreciation or desire to partake in events occuring therein. For starters, over the next few weeks we'll have a closer look at different Forums, as the posting community here at CoE is incredibly strong.

~~~~~~~~***~~~~~~~
The Movies Forum

Moderators: Woodstar, Nienna-of-the-valar, Mara

With the recent arrival of The Two Towers, I thought it only fitting that our first focus be on The Movies Forum. This is a very fun forum, moderated by Veaglarwen, Woodstar, Andaariel and our very own Ringhilwen! This forum is excellent for sharing your opinions on The Fellowship of the Ring or The Two Towers' movies. Be sure to post your own review of The Two Towers and share what you did and didn't like. The only thing we ask is that you leave the 'Gimli is hot' comment to the Casting Forum. We know you think he's cute.

[Edited on 12/8/2004 by Eloise]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: December 26, 2002 09:18
Because you're all probably stressing out now, wondering where in the world you can go to express your love for Gimli and those *other* characters, our next forum will be....

:drool:The Casting Forum:drool:

Moderators: Diva and ilikeLOTRalittle2much

Most commonly used emoticon: :drool:

Fear not new members! You are free to swoon over any character/LOTR actor you want in here. It's an excellent place to get all of those feelings out for the rest of CoE to know! The moderators stock plenty of towels for everyone, so drooling over Gimli's beard, Lurtz's teeth, and Celeborn's voice is perfectly acceptable. Of course, if you want to talk about blond elves, adorable hobbits, lovely ladies, and rugged men, you can do that as well! There are a few topics for non-LOTR actors, but there are so many to swoon over in LOTR, who needs other actors?

[Edited on 21/1/2004 by Eloise]

Trignifty
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 09:42
Alright Alright! Time for another edition of Trig & Ring's Weekly Dose of CoE Knowledge: Focus on Forums

Before I announce the Forum of this focus, I'd like to address a topic that you'll all hopefully read and consider. Ring and I have had a major problem with members creating new threads to introduce themselves. There is a thread that exists for this purpose entitled: "New Members Introduce Yourselves in Here!" It's even topped for your viewing convenience. We encourage you to create a topic if there is an issue you need addressed such as a question or an area you're having trouble with, as long as such a thread does not already exist..

On to more interesting topics....

So what if I want to ask a question to get to know other members? It's not really a movie question...and it's definetly not about the books...nor am I gushing about an actor/actress. Hey, all I want to ask is what people are doing for the upcoming holiday! Where do I go?! The answer is simple....

The Prancing Pony!

Moderators: Aowyn, BelleBayard, Killjoy, Mara, Diva and ~Witch_Queen_of_Angmar~

Most commonly used emoticon: Oh, just pick one. They're ALL used like mad.

This forum is great for talking about random things. It's a place to focus on things that *aren't* necessarily Lord of the Rings related, however a good percentage of the topics are still LotR affiliated. The forum is for topics that are off-the-wall and off-topic. However there is a small catch: If you'd like to talk about other movies or other types of media, please address these topics in the Palantir.

[Edited on 22/5/2004 by Eloise]
Trignifty
Send Message
on: January 07, 2003 06:21
Ring and I will be wrapping up the focuses on Forums over the next day or two...so here are a *few* for you.

Note: Please be sure to adhere to ALL rules of the forum. Each forum follows the overall Forum Posting Rules, however most of the Forums have a few extra rules that are unique to their subject.

CoE Announcements, Rules & Feedback

If you have some overall site questions, you should check either in the newbie forum (which..you're obviously in ) or the CoE Announcements, Rules and Feedback. Various things that YOU need to know are in this forum! YOU are responsible for checking this forum for new rules and information, we are not going to post huge announcements about it. If you break a rule that is posted in the CoE Announcements Rules and Feedback forum or any other listing of site rules (i.e. alllll the rules of the site that I have reposted for you in this forum), you absolutely cannot use the excuse 'I didn't know'. But don't worry, just keep up to date with how the site is running and you'll be fine. We're not all that mean. :love: This is also a great place to go to see if another member has asked the question that you have that way you get a quick answer.

The Books Forum

Moderator: atalante_star and PotbellyHairyfoot

Did you fall in love with Tolkien books at some point? Do you have a question about something you've read? Would you just like to talk about the books without the pesky movie changes getting in the way? Well this is your place! The Books Forum is open to discussion of all of Tolkien's works, not just Lord of the Rings. The members who frequent this forum (and the site in general), especially including the moderator, are very knowledgeable about Tolkien's works and can help you with whatever you need, whether it be a question or a discussion.

The Games Forum

Moderators: Lady~Eowyn, GimliandGollum, ilikeLOTRalittle2much

Well basically in here we talk about video/board games that have been released, share details about games yet to come out and play forum games with other members of the site. These games are designed to help members of the site get to know each other a little better. If you're stuck at some point on any game, there is a 99.989% chance that you can post your problem in this forum and get help. Participating in the Forum games is, like I said, a great way to get involved with other CoE members and it's great fun.

Collectibles

Moderators: Keteri

This area of the Forum is for discussions about the different LotR collectible items floating around out there. You can talk to different members about where to find the items you want. I think Scothia puts it best:
"Herein we hope to have a lively exchange between those who want 'em, and those who have 'em or know where to get 'em. Figures, posters, special edition books, whatever--if it's collectible with a Tolkien theme, post it here. Looking for that special something LotR? Let the CoE world know--there's a good chance someone here has what you're looking for!"

I must mention however that any kind of exchanges between members regarding the actual trading of items cannot be done in this forum. It is not an arena for free advertising. For example: Ring posts in the Collectibles forum that she has a poster of the Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad Dur that she is willing to sell. We cannot discuss the price she wants for it in the forum, I must talk to her privately about my interests in buying said poster.

Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: January 07, 2003 08:18
Here are the rest of the forums, so that you can read up and get acquainted with them....

The Palantir

Moderators: k and Keterai

Do you like any movies besides the LOTR Trilogy? Find yourself wanting to chat about books Tolkien didn't write(*gasp!* there are other books!)? Just watched a great TV show that you want to share your thoughts on? Were you listening to a great song and want to share something about it? Well, the Palantir Forum is the place to do it! Here, you can talk about any form of media that doesn't relate to Tolkien, whether it be movies, books, television, or music. From Baywatch to Friends, from pop-music to classical, and from comedy to Shakespeare, this is your forum.

Elvish 101

Moderators: GildorInglorion, Naneth, Iavas, and Malinorne

Got Elvish? No? Well this forum has plenty of it! This forum, run by our very own Elvish Authorities, is at your service for all your Sindarin and Quenya needs. Here, you can ask questions about the Sindarin Lessons on the site, get translations of phrases you are interested it, find the meaning of your Elvish name, as well as take part in a Sindarin Roleplay. The moderators can also point you in the direction of several helpful resources (including some of CoE's very own) regarding the study of the Elvish Languages.

The Role-playing Forum

Moderators: PotBellyHairyFoot, Gilraen, Saurid, Maeghin, CarolP, Tasar_Took_Nualda, Eldir, Abraon, Arwen_Undomial22, Ithilinde

Have you ever wanted to live in Middle Earth; fight battles, journey through Rohan, live in Gondor? If so, then this forum is the closest you can come. Without a doubt, Roleplaying is one of the most popular places on the entire site, and for good reason. Here, you can create your own Middle Earth persona, and set off on quests of your own. If adventuring is not for you, then fear not! Taverns, Inns, and peaceful settings abound, where the sole purpose is only to get to know other roleplayers, and have tons of fun in the process. One note of warning though: This Forum has several additional rules of its own on top of the Forum Rules, and they are to ensure that the RP Forum remains fun, safe, and enjoyable. Be sure to read the additional rules before you get started.

Many Meetings

Moderators: Andaariel and Valaöré

One of the most recent forums added to CoE, Many Meetings has a very unique purpose. Here, site members can arrange real-life meetings with one another for certain purposes. For example, members were able to set up TTT gatherings in their areas in order to see the new movie as a group. Also, the Secret Santa gifts/ecards exchanged was held through this forum. ROTK gatherings are already being planned, so if you're interested in that, be sure to check out this forum. However, since we want all of this to be done in a safe and secure manner, additional guidelines and rules have been made to ensure this. These can be read here.

Well, that's it for our Focus on Forums....We hope you take the time to check all of them out!

Stayed tuned for our next Weekly Dose of Knowledge, when Trig and I will be focusing on the CoE Points System!

Eloise's Edit: While I'm not too sure how many people still look at this thread, there's been a few new forums which I thought you might like to know about.

The Green Dragon Inn
Moderated by Eloise and Goldsand
This is the forum for all things Tolkien which don't fit into either the Movies Forum, the Casting forum or the Books forum. Want to discuss Tolkien? Learn more about the weapons used? What about the stage or Radio plays? Come take a look in the GDI.

Creations Forum
Moderated by Goldsand and Lollypop
The sole purpose of this forum is for the discussion of fanart, fanfics and other arty things. You can also find information on costumes and other fun things.

Trignifty
Send Message
on: February 20, 2003 08:14
Well we kind of let the ball drop on this one now didn't we...now while I promise that a focus on the point system will be coming soon...I want to hit back on the Forums for juuuust a second...I've had questions from quite a few members who haven't quite figured out how to post which is obviously very important.

Here's how:
1) Go to the Forum of your choice and click on the title of the thread you'd like to post to. You *must* be on a page in the thread to post to it.
2) At the top and bottom of the page there will be a link that says 'Post Reply', click this. This link will be on every page in the thread. For example we have some threads, like the intro threads, that have multiple pages. You can reach the Reply Area from any of these pages but your reply will ALWAYS go to the end of the last page.
3) Once you click the Post Reply link, you'll go to a page with a section for writing. Type in whatever you'd like to say, keeping in mind the Forum Rules, and when you're done hit either the button entitled 'Preview Post' to see how what you've written looks or 'Post Reply' to post it to the forum.

One thing that's also been suggested is to cut down on the number of spelling errors and grammatical mistakes (no one likes to read these...believe you me...), you might try writing your responses in a word processing program, like Word, so that spellcheck may be utilized.

There are also many fancy things you can do in the forums, and this is all a repeat of the very first Dose:
When you are posting, be aware of the Board Rules as well as the Forum Decorum guidelines. We want everyone to be able to write their thoughts, and following these guidelines will keep the forum a fun and friendly place to post.

~Within each forum, you can post a new thread (click the “New Topic” link at the top/bottom of the forum page), post a new poll (“New Poll” link), or post a reply in a thread someone has already started (“Post reply” link). Within the polls, other members can vote and reply to the choices you have submitted.

Forum Features

~There are several features that allow you to enhance the text you enter in replies, threads, and polls. You can creat bold, italic, underlined, and colored text, along with many other features.

~To the right side of your text box, you’ll see emoticons. You can use these (sparingly) in your posts. To use them, simply click on the icon you want, and it will be added to your post.

~You can easily quote something a member says in his/her post, by clicking the “quote” button at the bottom of the user’s post. Clicking this will open up the normal reply box, and the entire post will be quoted. You can add your responses beneath the quote.

~To PM (private message) another member about their post, you can simply click the “PM” button at the bottom of their post. This will take you to your PM box, with the user name and the thread title already in the PM.

Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: March 09, 2003 07:04
Alright everyone, as promised, here is the first entry in a series about the Points System

Now, points are a way for the CoE staff to say "thank you" for helping out the site. Member points are awarded for submissions to various areas of the site, helping out the staff, games, or even getting new members!

There are tons of ways to get points, and those will be gone over a little later. For now, I'll just mention some of the basics....

~ A list of what points are awarded for can be found by clicking on "My Account", then clicking "User Points" in your member area.

~ Any points that you have been awarded will show up in that area as well (My Account > User Points). Recently, Rivka allowed it so that members are able to see what they have received points for, to clear up confusion.

~ As it is set currently, you may receive no more than 20 points in a certain category, which encourages you to submit in many different areas.

~ Points can be 'redeemed' for certain member rewards and prizes once certain levels are reached. Currently, the rewards are as follows:
25 points: CoE Volunteer rank (replaces Council Member as rank)
50 points: Unique Avatar (this means that your personalized avatar will be removed from the general pool, meaning it's yours to use exclusively, like the admin/mod avatars)
100 points: Unique Rank (meaning you'll be able to choose a special rank for yourself, like the admins/mods have)
250 points: CoE T-shirt from our Cafe-Press store.

~ Points are awarded at the discretion of the admins/mods in charge of that area. If any submission is not accepted, the admin/mod will PM you with the reason.

~ Points may be awarded for other special services rendered by site members not listed in the User Points area. Again, this is at the discretion of the admins/mods.

~ If you feel you have something to contribute that is not listed in the User Points area, contact the admin/mod in charge of that area in question with your idea.

~ Please Note: Do not pester the admins about your points. If we feel you are worthy of a point we will give you one. Any PMs asking about points given will be ignored, and will in all likelihood cause the admin to NOT give you points. In addition, this is not intended to be a competition. Boasting of your points in the forum or otherwise inciting competition among other site members may be cause for points to be revoked.

[Edited on 9/3/2003 by Ringhilwen]

[Edited on 18/11/2003 by Ringhilwen]
Trignifty
Send Message
on: March 09, 2003 07:30
Here are a few things that can get you points around the site:

1 = for every eCard (see Ringhilwen) - Be sure to see the Ecard submission Rules both on the submission page, as well as in the CoE Announcements Forum, in the "Concerning Ecards" thread.

5 = for every accepted Article for Elrond's Library (see Atalante_Star) or Homely House (see Scothia) - The Elrond's Library Articles are scholarly articles written about the books. The Last Homely House deals with bringing pieces of Middle Earth culture into your everyday life!

1-3 = for every accepted Encyclopedia entry (this excludes any where Niena-of-the-Valar has to edit it alot)

2 = accepted Middle Earth section entry (excludes poems or instances where there is alot of extra editing - see Atalante_star)

1 = for adding poems/songs to Middle Earth section (see Atalante_star)

1 = for every gallery images that is not already in our gallery and are unique and of good quality (Excludes Members Pics, see Elenisil)

1 = for every five links of value added to our links section (see Elenisil)

1 -2 = for every background, wallpaper, scanned article or other download of good quality (see Ringhilwen)

2-3 = for every new and unique Quizz, Crossword or other game added to our games section (see Lady~Eowyn)

5 = for every piece of CoE merchandise purchased (must have proof of purchase/receipt, see Parmadur)

3 = for every NEW user they recommend who joins the site. where the new user has indicated a particular member recommended them (new Member must PM k with the member name of the person that recommended them to qualify)

5 = for every new and unique idea that a member suggests and is utilized by the site (contact either Rivka, or the admin in charge of the section in question)

1 = for every news item accepted and did not require heavy editing by the Admins (see morwenna, Beleg_S or Hobbitfriend)

1 = for every Trivial Pursuit card submitted in the Games Forum (see Lady~Eowyn)

[Edited on 3/10/2003 by Trignifty]

[Edited on 10/3/2003 by Ringhilwen]

[Edited on 21/1/2004 by Eloise]

[Edited on 12/9/2004 by Lady~Eowyn]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 17, 2003 05:08
I've recently noticed that some areas of the site get more traffic than others. Now, I can personally vouch for the fact that EVERYTHING on CoE is worth checking out. Therefore, I present you with a little list of things I think you shouldn't miss, though you might normally overlook them.

Ring's Top Five
(pssst, they're all links!)

1. Member Links - Many of you may not be aware that personal LOTR sites can be submitted to the links section. However, there are many talented and creative people on this site who spend a lot of time creating sites, forums, and shrines of their own. So, if you get a minute, browse through one, and I assure you, if you submit your link, members will do the same for you.

2. The Art Section - A new area of the site, but worth checking out! It contains a lot of information on some of the most prominent artists and illusrators that have dealt with Tolkien's work. The movie may have brought your vision to life, but it was many of these artists who brought Tolkien's vision of Middle Earth TO the movie. Without them, Peter Jackson's view of Middle Earth may not have been possible. I find that so many members, once they begin looking through the illustrations gallery, can't get enough! (**Psst...Trig personally recommends Paul Gregory's Work

3. CoE User Journals - Some of you may be thinking, "What? EVERYONE knows about the journals!" Well, I can assure you, this is not true! The journals, if you don't venture into CoE's chat room, are a great way to "get to know" other members. You can post your own entries, or read and comment in someone elses, all the while getting a glimpse into some of the activities, thoughts, and feelings we have off the site and away from LOTR.

4. The Games Section - What more do you need to know? Come on! It's GAMES! Who doesn't love games? Here, you can see which member of the fellowship you are DOOMED to be, or show off some of your knowledge with a trivia quiz or two!(**Note from Trig: Uhm...come visit me! And by all means, let me know what Games you'd like to see on the site!)

5. The Last Homely House - You may look at this section at first and say, "well, what can I get out of this?" Well my friend, a WHOLE LOT! That's what! Here, you can find tons of ways to bring Middle Earth into your own life. I mean, come on, who hasn't wanted to try making lembas, or make themselves an elf costume? Perhaps you're more into the music of Middle Earth? Well, you can find a lot of information on that as well! The possibilities are endless, and who knows? You might find a new skill of your own!

[Edited on 18/5/2003 by Ringhilwen]

[Edited on 5/29/2003 by Trignifty]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: May 31, 2003 01:50
Just a mini-dose about USER POINTS....

1. When you reach 25 points (or anything other point level with some type of reward), the volunteer rank/custom rank/avatar is not automatic. I search through the list of user points every few days, and when I see someone has reached a new level, I will either give them a volunteer rank, switch over their avatar, or give a custom rank. In the latter two cases, I will contact you first. Therefore, don't worry if it's been a few days, and you haven't gotten your new rank yet. If it's been over a week or so, feel free to contact me.
Trignifty
Send Message
on: August 06, 2003 07:08
After a long absence...we are back!!

And in light of the recent opening, we've decided this Dose should entail the fruit of MANY months of labor:

REALMS!

Realms is designed to be a community within a community. In other words, with all the people we have on the site now, it's easy to get lost. So Realms are smaller communities based on common personality traits or interests.

There are 14 realms total, each based on a member of the Valar. Valar were used because it isn't quite as devisive as say places or races. Which rhymes. The Realm and Realm Leaders are as follows (in no particular order except alphabetical ) :

- Aule: Naredhil
- Este: Happy Hobbit
- Lorien: TheLadyArwen
- Mandos: Killjoy
- Manwe: GimliandGollum
- Nessa: ilikeLOTRalittle2much
- Nienna: Atalante_star
- Orome: Keterai
- Tulkas: Tsar_took_Nualda
- Ulmo: Veaglarwen
- Vaire: Gilraen
- Vana: Ithilinde
- Varda: Gwendeth
- Yavanna: Abraon

Each of these realms is completely independent of the others, each realm head oversees their realm to their descretion however there ARE particular rules that apply to ALL realms. You can read about them in the charters of the realms before you join. Each realm also has its own activities such as photoshopping images, tree planting, deer spotting or humorous literature.

When you join a realm, you must be absolutely certain that you want to be there because you are bound to that realm for three months. If you're having trouble deciding, here's a spiffy quiz that you can take to help you decide. You are not forced to choose the realm that the quiz suggests.

Our advice is to poke around the Realms mainpage a bit. Look into the Realms that interest you. All of the realms have an 'information' tab that you can use to find out more information about the Valar in question. You can find the main page one of two ways: 1) Go to the community menu on the side menu over there *points to the left side of the screen* and then when the second menu pops up, click on Realms OR 2) click on the 'realms' link at the top of this post See? I make things simple for you all.

Anyhow, enjoy the Realms! Fun factoid: The original idea for Realms came about in late October of 2002, a whole 10 months ago! See? We've put some work into it!

[Edited on 20/2/2004 by Eloise]

[Edited on 22/5/2004 by Eloise]
Ringhilwen
Send Message
on: November 18, 2003 01:06
Today, we're playing the LINK game! Whoo hoo! This will explain a little bit about the links you see around the site - some of which you may not understand.

For the first installment, we'll be looking at the Forum Board links. When you click on Forum at the top of any CoE page, you'll be taken to the Main Forum Index. At the top of this page, below the theme banner, you'll see something that reads:

Council of Elrond
You are logged in as Ringhilwen

Profile | Member List | Search | FAQ | Board Rules | Messages | RPG Characters | Birthdays

Many people ask what each of these links above mean, so I'm here to explain it to you!

Profile - This profile page allows you to change the function and format of the forum board for your personal viewing. "Theme" allows you to choose what color your forum will be. It can be set to match your site theme, or you can make it different colors to your preference. You're also able to change the number of posts and topics you can see on each page. The default is 25 threads per page, and 30 posts per page of a thread. Additionally in this area, you can make sure your signature and avatar are as you want them. Sometimes, if you aren't able to change your sig/avatar through the My Account link, you can change them here. (Click on Edit Profile if you've changed anything, and want to save those changes). Also in this section, you can view all the threads you've subscribed to (meaning you receive an email notification when a new post is posted), and you can remove threads from your subscription list.

Member List - If you're ever curious as to who the first member of CoE was, or who has the highest number of posts, this is where you'll want to look. By default, clicking on the link will display the list of members (only those who have posted in the forum, not everyone who's ever joined CoE, since some never post in the forums) in the order that they joined. At the bottom of that first page of members, you can change how the list is displayed. Click on "Number of Posts" to see the number of posts members have made, starting with those who have made the most.

Search - the Search link enables you to search for certain topics or threads in the forums, with different options as to how you want the search run. Useful for finding lost threads if you remember part of the title, or the user who posted it.

FAQ - The FAQ is pretty important for new members to the CoE Forums. Here, you can find out how to make bold, underlined, italic, or even colored text. It also shows you how to insert links, pictures, quotes, and email links into all your posts. It's a very helpful resource for BBcode used in the forums.

Board Rules - Also very important, this section tells you all the board rules of the CoE forums. It's best to take a careful look at these before posting in the forums, since repeated failure to abide by them could cause your removal from the boards.

Messages - This is another link which will take you to you Private Message Box, where you can receive, send, and forward private messages to anyone on the site.

RPG Characters - This is an extremely fun area of the site, as it allows you to create your own RPG character profile, complete with picture, appearance, history, etc. You can also view the RPG character of any other member who's created one, by either searching for the member's name, or for the name of the character. For more information on this area, check out the RPG forum.

Birthdays - By clicking on this link, you will see a list of all the members who have birthdays on that day. You can add your birthday to your own profile (and thence get listed on the Birthday list when your special day rolls around) by clicking on My Account, then Change Your Info.

Well, that's it for this edition of the Weekly Dose of Knowledge....enjoy!

:heart:Trig and Ring:heart:
The newbie forum mods

[Edited on 18/11/2003 by Ringhilwen]
Heather_lotrfan
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 17, 2004 07:09
This has really helped me as a newby
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email