Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
crenm45
Council Member
Send Message
Post Birds in Middle Earth
on: November 03, 2006 03:36
Hello and what birds are in Middle Earth, I just don't want to throw a parrot in. I mean a parrot in Middle Earth? That doesn't sound right. Could some one please take the time to research this and give me some descriptions. Ill also be researching this but I'm not the best.
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post RE: Birds in Middle Earth
on: November 03, 2006 04:14
Well, I checked my copy of Tolkien, The Illustrated Encyclopedia by David Day, to see what was listed there.

Under birds: eagles, ravens, swans, thrushes, crows, and nightingales.

Another bird, called a 'kirinki' is also mentioned, and the entry for it states:
In the lands of Númenor lived a small bird about the size of a wren, but covered in brilliant scarlet plumage and gifted with a beautiful piping voice.
I would (personally) imagine there would have been such fowl as chickens, ducks, geese, hawks, and a number of songbirds (finches, wrens, robins, larks, sparrows, etc.).

If it were me, I think I'd stay away from the more 'exotic'-type birds like ostriches, emus, birds of paradise, penguins (lol!), etc., and stick with the more 'every-day' ones. Where a parrot might fall into one of those (very) 'general' categories, I'd love to hear the RPG Mods thoughts.

[Edited on 4/11/2006 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
jbadgermus
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 21, 2006 05:55
don't forget the seabirds..... i hesitate to mention legolas, but that's the example that comes to mind first
atalante_star
Scholar of Imladris and Theodens Lady
Send Message
on: January 29, 2007 09:39
I'd stick to birds common in England, or something along those lines, at least for lands like the Shire, Gondor or Rohan. I guess southern lands could have something more exotic!
Eleiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 04, 2007 09:08
I think that alot of it would depend on there in Middle-Earth you are. If you are Harad you might get some strange and exotic birds, like a ostrich or what have you. In Forodwaith you might find snow-owls and other "cold-weather" birds.

However, since is it a make-bielve world I think it would be best to go with the birds that you kow and are familiar with in your own aria. That is prabably the safest way to go.
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2007 10:00
There are crebain and eagles in Middle Earth.
nilfalath
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 01, 2007 08:03

eagles i like eagles
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email