Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
minyaliel_níniwen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: *Poll* Haldir's death
on: November 26, 2005 05:13
I just sat there, being annoyed at Jackson bringing elves into Helm's Deep in the first place... lol. I still strongly dislike TTT because of all the extra added stuff. (Yeah, you're going to flame me now, aren't ya? )
You cryed...he was so cute
53% (1)
you laughed...next time watch your back!
5% (1)
You just sat there and watched it
42% (1)
You don't know you were using the bathroom
0% (1)
You didn't see it
0% (1)
asleepingvision
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 30, 2005 11:44
I watched TTT before i watched FoTR and i never read any of the books, so i just sat there wondering, "Who the hell is this?"

I was sooooo lost. :cry:

P.S. I've read the books a few times now.
netholas_son_of_legolas1
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2005 06:02
I clicked on the 'I cried' one although i have to say i didn't - although i did feel for him...after all he was never supposed to be there...

Well i can't really say I find him cute either...obviously. But he was a pretty cool character while he lasted. I guess PJ just needed to have someone familiar die so that it didn't seem so obvious that all heros live...if you get what i mean.

Neth
netholas_son_of_legolas1
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2005 06:07
In fact, just reading an earlier quote I agree with the fact that it was only supposed to be Legolas at helm's Deep and it kind of takes the edge off of that.

You can't quite understand (especially if you haven't read the book) how difficult it is for Legolas to have to fight on his own as an elf. It also takes away the triumph and the commendment that Legolas was the only elf and still survived and that he was representing all of his race.

Neth
SeenZ
The Voice in Aragorn`s Head
Send Message
on: December 16, 2005 03:49
I was so shocked I couldn't cry. Once I was over it though, I felt sooo sad I mean, he sees all these dead elves, and realises that he's going to die too... that's just so sad:cry: I feel like crying every time I see it, even though I've seen it a hundred times.
Sheledrial
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 20, 2006 06:27
I was devastated when Haldir died. I was surprised that i actually cried. I am pretty emotional anyway but that was overwhelming.

When Haldir died how did you react?

(Edited for spelling of character's name. Sorry just couldn't take it.)

[Edited on 12/25/2002 by BelleBayard]
Roccalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 26, 2006 02:13
I must say, when I first saw Haldir die, I didn't really care, because I was so irritated he was there at all. Unlike many others, I didn't like at all that the elves just turned up from nowhere to help (but I'm used to it now ) But then, when Haldir looked around and tried not to fall to the ground, and that sad music started....well, I was sad...
Charlothiena
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2007 09:06
I cried because not only because Haldir was cute, but he wasn't meant to be there in the first place and....the the way he was killed was EVIL and the look in his eyes....he looked so sad when he died....like he knew that all of his men had been killed and now it was his turn...bless him! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Curse PJ thrice for robbing me of Haldir!

*mod's note* ~ edited out some of the weepies so the thread won't stretch out.

[Edited on 8/6/2007 by LinweSingollo]
Elainiwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 08, 2007 11:23
I was going through mixed feelings of stunned and sad. Haldir is a good character and he did'nt die in the book, so why kill him?
Celebrianna
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2007 08:16
I watched the movie before I read the book and so I just thought it very sad. But after i read the book, I was a little annoyed that PJ killed him because, well, he's really alive.

[Edited on 9/6/2007 by Celebrianna]
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2007 02:09
I cried, cause I love Haldir! he's my favorite elf in the whole movie...even better than Legolas!:cry:

I wish he hadn't been killed off, but it added to the drama of battle, and though it was sad it worked well and I sort of like the scene, I don't mind crying.
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
elvenfair1
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 15, 2008 06:19
To put it bluntly..I thought it was crappy! :angry: ,he should have been at the Corination in ROTK,standing with the rest of the Elves
Maelstronnar
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2008 05:11
The only reason I laughed instead of trying not to cry is that:
he wasn't meant to be there... It sure added to the drama but hey, he was meant to be back in scenic Lothlorien, guarding the Nimrodel with his brothers. At least Aragorn was with him, though Haldir did look a bit surprised.
crystalarwen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 13, 2009 03:31
:cry: I cried when Haldir died! He was such a great character and to kill him off broke my heart and still does whenever I watch TT.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 08, 2009 04:38
I cry every time, because I have a flashback to Nirnaeth Arnoediad (a battle in the First Age where men and elves fought together and lost brutally). The tragedy of an immortal being dying, and then the shots of the elves and orcs dead together... It's all very Shakespearean in its irony.

And yes, because he was an incredible character. The fact that Craig Parker is good looking doesn't hurt him either

For the record, PJ didn't kill Haldir, he just switched the place of his death. If you read the appendices, Haldir dies defending Lorien at the end of the War. So technically we have PJ to thank (or curse) for letting us see his death and make it more meaningful than a footnote.
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: October 08, 2009 05:37
that's a very good point, pitya, a point that many people do not realize. Haldir dies fighting for his freedom against Sauron, just not at Helm's Deep.

So I don't blame PJ for moving it, I think it helps show us that Elves were now dying and suffering in this war as well. It moved it a bit closer to home for the elves.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 18, 2009 06:13
I agree. It let us see a bit of the warrior side to the elves often overlooked. The Silmarillion is full of elven warriors; it's nice to see a bit of that come through into the movies.
glamdring22
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 20, 2009 12:47
I didn't think he should have died, I really liked Haldir, and that didn't happen in the books; the elves didn't even come to Helms Deep! Tragic, that's what I say.
Emeraldstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2009 07:32
I had watched the movie before I read the books, so my reaction was "They killed the best character in the movie!" It's still sad.. :sob:
Makil
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 14, 2009 12:04
I felt bad anytime a good guy died.
I really don't know how old Haldir was, but I found myself wondering about a 1or 2,000 year life time coming to and end. No matter how long you had lived would you find yourself saying "over so soon?" "Life is so short" or "Is that all there was to life?"
Allways on an unexpected battlefield and allways too soon.
Marwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2009 03:29
Well...I had to say I just sat there and watched it, as gasping in shared pain was not an option...because that is what I did...*recalls axe being buried in Haldir's back and shudders* it was kind of gross...just kind of...
M.
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2010 12:38
Well I never cryed, but I did feel sorry for Haldir, quite a sad moment in the film. And being a guy I don't really think Haldir's "cute".
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
LightElfRowena
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2010 03:51
How can they kill off the coolest elf of Lothlorien is beyond me. Tragedy man.... tragedy *shakes head in sadness*
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: August 30, 2010 05:35
I chose 'sat and watched', although it seemed a tragic thing to me that they killed off the only elvish-looking and elvish-sounding (IMO) male in the movies
However, his death is not nearly as interesting to me as how on earth he made it into Helm's Deep ... Gwaihir and his fellow eagles lending a hand, maybe? ^ ^
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email