Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post January Newsletter ~ Varda Elentári
on: February 06, 2007 02:29
Better late than never... I hope!

Banner by Lady~Eowyn; Art by Herb Leonard and Ted Nasmith

The Realm of Varda is a place for those in love with beauty in all its forms, from simply admiring a song or a piece of poetry, to worshipping the stars which Varda made to light our way.

Varda!

by silver_Tinuviel

Artist: Maija Pietikäinen, Photoshopping by Nívfaen

In the Realm of Varda, we enjoy many activities - one of which is creating our own Constellation Myths, set to the hand of our beloved StarKindler! This one is by Bardess_of_Rivendell:

Once, In the time of the Search for the Silmarils, there lived a Lord who had seven daughters and one very small son. Now when the Sons of Feanor came in their wrath and caused Elwing the White to hurl herself from a cliff, the lord was slain, leaving his daughters and son, whose given name isn't remembered; everyone called him 'Pitya', meaning 'little one' to fend for themselves. So great was their terror at the loss of their beloved father, that they ran heedless of anything, carrying the little one in turns, as he couldn't keep up. After all seven of the sisters had a turn carrying him, they thought they could go absolutely no further, since they were all too tired to carry tiny Pitya any further. They finally came to a hard decision; they would have to leave him with someone, and make good their own escape. While none were really cruel or evil, each thought of herself a little more than she should. When they reached a household and tried to explain to the little one that they were leaving without him, he would have none of it. Wailing and crying, he begged them to please take him as well. While the eldest six walked away, the youngest couldn't bear her brother's tears, and hid him away under her cloak. Eventually, without supplies or warm clothes, they perished in the wilds. Varda, however, took pity on them, and placed them among the stars, ever a reminder of that terrible deed. Although on most nights, you can just see the seven sisters, Varda hadn't forgotten little Pitya. On a clear night, if you look very closely, you can see him twinkling there in the midst of his sisters, dancing and laughing.

fragments from a Josephine Wall painting; banner by silver_Tinuviel

Music is a form of art, and Vardian’s love music!

drawing by Celedë_Anthaas; banner by silver_Tinuviel

A ‘testament’ to the ‘craziness’ and ‘fun’ the Vardians enjoy, is our beloved Name Factory!

art by Josephine Wall; banner by silver_Tinuviel

Our Admin of the Month is Lady~Eowyn, the Games Admin!

artist Josephine Wall; banner by Nívfaen

Moderator of the month: Our Mod of the Month is LadyCeleborn, the Palantír-Mod!

Of course, Vardians are never ‘complete’ without a Top Ten list!

Varda‘s Top Ten: "Middle-Earth's Fashion Victims"

10. Saruman:
"I know best what suits me!" - Though he created only for himself, he remains one of the most original fashion designers in the Middle-Earth history. He is best known for inventing the famous many-colored cloth, a revolutionary material with a glossy multi-colored surface and an extremely fine texture, very suitable for formal events. Experts say that the designer most probably used dark magic in creating it.

9. Gandalf:
When the Third Season was getting to a close, the renewing of the wardrobe was, of course, a MUST. Grey clothes and tangled hair weren't en vogue anymore, so the wizard needed a small visit to Valinor's best fashion houses. Some white robes from "Vairë's", a new manually decorated staff created at "Aulë & Yavanna Exclusive" and a dyed straight hair obtained at "Varda's" made him unrecognizable an *very* fanciable.

8. Aragorn:
just as Silver said, with the end of the Third Age, a new style was needed. So, Aragorn gave up his most beloved, comfortable ranger clothes for new, shiny, formal, and highly uncomfortable royal clothes. Becoming a king isn't as easy as it looks, especially when it’s fashion we're talking about.

7. Sauron:
A visionary and a great unique jewelry lover! He was always guided by the principle that it's worth to live and kill for fashion. When some random guys with no taste destroyed his favorite ring, he died mourning this terrible and most tragic loss.

6. Denethor:
“Always one step ahead! His family business, WTHC (White Tower Haute Couture), earned a sterling reputation as one of the world’s greatest fashion houses.” (Rohan Fashion Institute) – The whole Middle-Earth was bewildered when this refined man committed suicide. But further investigation revealed shocking facts: the celebrated designer used hacking to spy upon his rival Sauron. Top experts say that he broke into the Red Eye server with a Palantír Secret Code and extracted confidential information about Mordor’s Spring-Summer collection. Its grandeur and glamour threw him into despair. He decided to put an end to his career in style by burning himself.

5. Frodo & Sam:
Do long hairy breeches, tunics of dirty leather, coats of stout ring-mail, black caps with iron rims seem too out of fashion to be worn at the end of the Third Age? If you think so, it's time for you to read the last number of the The Vardian, the best sold fashion magazine in Arda, and learn more about vintage clothes! Our famous heroes (almost literally fashion victims) have a little tip for you: add a beak-like helmet and a nice painting of a Red Eye to your outfit and you'll be the sensation of the season!

4. Gollum:
Loincloths are so last season. ‘Nuff said!

3. Gorbag:
All his life, this brave and elegant captain lived by the adage “A mithril shirt, the biggest little thing in your wardrobe!” He couldn't afford to buy a precious thing like that, but luck was on his side and he found one. A problem occurred when his fellow, Shagrat, an unbalanced second-hand designer and part-time lieutenant in Cirith Ungol, began an endless tirade about the colors of the season and the packing and ironing rules, very important in Lugbúrz at that time. Pacifist though he was, Gorbag couldn’t stand that for long, so he started a sword fight. Unfortunately, luck was not on his side twice in that day... May he rest in peace!

2. Treebeard:
Most eligible bachelor of Central Middle-Earth (or so they say), wild at heart, a convinced vegetarian, his closeness to nature is his true strength. Some say he used his great fortune to create a never-before-seen summer collection, but, unfortunately no-one had told him that there were no buyers (in those times there were no men or elves...). His fiancée dumped him as a consequence of his failure to recover financially, taking with her all her ladies in waiting. But we know better that she was appalled by the invisibility of some of the garments - she was raised in a "nursery-monastery" since the age of a seed...

1. Lord Elrond:
Quality never goes out of style, nor do lavender dresses and glamorous tiaras! Lord Elrond of Rivendell has been a fashion industry icon even since his fabulous public appearance in the War of the Last Alliance. Words fail when trying to describe him. He is universally recognized for his consummate taste. Expert's advice: open your grandma's (or, errrmmm, grandpa’s...) old trunk and look for some mauve treasures from the time of Gil-galad! You most certainly won’t regret!

art by Natalia Nikitin; banner by silver_Tinuviel

A ‘new’ thing in Varda - the Member of the Month! Come and meet our very first one!

Source:http://elfwood.lysator.liu.se/farp/theart/bjmalatahair/bjmalatahair3.html

Character of the Month:

Upon researching this character of Maedhros, one learns a lot more about the Noldorin Elves. The Noldorin Elves are the Deep Elves, those who took the Great journey second, these were considered to be the most wise of the Eldar, that is the Firstborn of Ilúvatar. To better give you an idea of just who Maedhros was, I will start a little closer to the beginning of his history. Maedhros was the eldest son of Fëanor who was the eldest son of Finwë.

How do you pronounce his name you ask, well, that was what I asked first as well. The way to pronounce his name is my-thros (‘th’ as in ‘these clothes’) is how it is presented here in the CoE Encyclopedia entry for Maedhros in Elrond’s Library. The meaning of his name as stated in same entry is ‘Glitter of metal’; for he was of a house that were considered master craftsman, for Fëanor was he who created the valued Silmarils, of which were stolen in the first place that fulfilled the Doom of Mandos which stated, “On the House of Fëanor the wrath of the Valar lieth from the West unto the uttermost East, and upon all that will follow them it shall be laid also.”
From the Doom of Mandos
The Silmarillion 9 Of the Flight of the Noldor
Here is an excerpt from a description of the House of Fëanor:
“The cursed descendants and followers of Fëanor , the eldest son of Finwë, and his spouse Nerdanel. Fëanor was one of the greatest, and certainly the most skilled, of the Noldor, but his burning anger at the loss of his Silmarils led him to commit acts that would greatly diminish the influence of his house among his people. As the heir of Finwë, Fëanor and his descendants should have inherited the High Kingship of the Noldor, but because of Fëanor’s rash acts, the lordship of the Noldor passed to his brothers: Finarfin in Aman, and Fingolfin in Middle-earth. For this reason, the members of the Housel of Fëanor are referred to as the Dispossessed.”

As you can see, not a very easy history or future from what it sounds like. In fact, most of his sons, including Maedhros died before the end of the first age was even concluded. Part of Maedhros’ history includes being tricked by Morgoth and hung by his right wrist from the heights of the Thangorodrim.
Though he was eventually rescued by Fingon with the aid of Thorondor, King of all the Eagles, and a prayer to Manwë for mercy; he still lost his right hand, cut off at the wrist to free him from his imprisonment on the Thangorodrim. This did not stop him however from becoming very handy with a sword with his left hand! He became so skilled with his left hand that he was feared by foes far and wide.

Another part of his history takes us to the battle of Unnumbered Tears in the Spring of the First Age 471. Though they fought well in this battle alongside the Edain, they were essentially defeated by Morgoth.

Maedhros did, however, attempt to reunite the Houses of Noldor, but to no avail. Later after the Valar were summoned to aid in the defeat of Morgoth, the two remaining sons of Fëanor did dispatch the two remaining Silmarils. But because of their earlier misdeeds, they could not hold the jewels for they burnt their flesh, causing excruciating pain. This caused Maedhros to throw himself into a fissure in the earth, and the Silmaril with him. It was lost forever.

Source: http://tolkiengateway.net/w/images/thumb/d/d4/Ted_Nasmith_-_Maedhros_Casts_Himself_into_a_Chasm.jpg/180px-Ted_Nasmith_-_Maedhros_Casts_Himself_into_a_Chasm.jpg

One thing that I can say about Maedhros is that he was determined in his loyalty to his father, Fëanor, for he and his brothers swore and oath to recover all of the Silmarils. Now that is dedication; how many of us can say that we exhibit this same dedication in what we do everyday in our daily tasks? Not many I would say in this now, now, now world. It is said that we, modern people can learn a lesson of two of the tales told of the elves; especially when determining our course to take in life with reference to the validity of a superiors resolve; we must ask ourselves: is this a just cause, or is this something else. Meadhros sure found out the hard way that sometime staying loyal to the bitter end can be costly.
Source: http://tn3-2.deviantart.com/fs11/300W/i/2006/169/d/5/Maedhros_curlywild_III_by_Sirielle.jpg

By MelannenBrennilAelwen
Sources: The Encyclopedia of Arda
The Council of Elrond

And, above all, Vardians are a family, and delight in surprising each other with gifts of their talents - including this one to their weary old Realm Head!

banner by silver_Tinuviel

Gwendeth: Varda's Brightest Star :heart:

“The Realm of Varda”, it is a concept which brings up all kinds of feelings in us, but only positive ones. Warmth, friendship, sympathy and unity describe the community of Varda’s star kindlers. We take pride in the fact that in our Realm there is room for anything. Whether you need a shoulder to cry on or simply a little bit of luck, there’s always someone there for you. Or are you more in the mood for some crazy game or a serious poetry discussion? The Realm of Varda provides plenty of opportunities for those kinds of things as well. Yes, we love our Realm, that’s clear. But this Realm wouldn’t have been like this, it wouldn’t have had the same warmth and definitely not the great organization, if it hadn’t been for the wonderful work of our amazing Realm Leader Gwendeth. For quite some time now she has been dedicating part of her precious time to us, and we are more than grateful for that. And the two of us aren’t by far the only ones feeling that way.
Dear Gwen, as an illustration of how your wonderful Realm feels about you, we’ve gathered some beautiful words from your Vardians.

---

Woodlandelfgirl87:
On August 4, 2004, I joined the Realm of Varda. One of the first people I talked with from Varda was Gwendeth. My first impression of her was that she was a very sweet person. She always has a kind word to say to everyone in the Realm. When someone has a problem, whether it be something CoE related or from real life, she is always there to help or provide an encouraging word. She always praises our poems, drawings, photographs, etc. Gwen also has an awesome sense of humor- always telling some sort of joke and kidding around. She never seems to have anything negative to say, and even when something bad may be going on for her, she always has a cheery outlook on it. Whenever some sort of Realm activity goes on, she is always on top of things, making sure they go smoothly and well. I think that all people in Varda can join me in saying that Gwendeth is the best Realm Head we could ever have in Varda, and that we are all glad that she is here! We love you Gwen!

Nívfaen:
I have been a member of the wonderful Realm of Varda just slightly over two months now. And in my short time here I immediately found gwendeth to be a wonderful Vardian leader. Just recently, when I was trying to come up with an entry for the Realm Sceptre Contest (which I was having a hard time grasping the concept of what the Contest entry should be), I sent a number of PM's to gwen asking quite a few questions about the Contest and probably being somewhat of a nuisance in the process. Yet she answered everyone of them in a very kind, helpful, and understanding manner as well as being very generous with her time. I'm afraid that this doesn't even begin to convey what a terrific Realm leader she is. All I can say is that in the short time that I've been a member of Varda, it has become quickly apparent to me that gwendeth is a genuinely kindhearted, helpful and understanding person and leader. I have a lot of respect for her. Thank you, gwendeth, for being such a wonderful Realm Head.

Celedë_Anthaas

United under Varda's sky

At Cuiviénen’s shores the elves awoke
And gazed upon Varda’s stars.
They saw the frozen crystals bright,
The shimmering, dancing, sparkling light,
And called her name from afar.

“Oh, Elbereth Gilthoniel,” they sang,
“Oh starkindler bright and fair!
Watch over us from the hallowed land,
Guard us with your sparkling hand
And keep us from the Dark One’s despair!”

Thus they sang from Middle-earth
And out across the sighing sea
Over Ulmo’s waves of foam-tipped white
And to the land of Everlight
Where Varda heard their plea.

Barefoot she went from Taniquetil
And sang a song of light,
She gathered all the lonely stars
From all the distant corners far,
And adorned the cloak of night.

And the elves gazed up with cries of joy
And hope was born in their hearts,
They knew that it would never die,
Though Morgoth filled the world with lies.
There would always be light in the dark.

They cried with joy and sang their praise
And need not fear anymore.
And though long ago they passed away
A tattered remnant still remains
Upon this tree-woven shore.

Stargazers, dreamers, lovers of art,
We still gaze up at the sky,
And through the mist and sleet and rain
We still whisper Varda’s name;
We do not fear the night.

And Varda hears us from Taniquetil,
She still remembers us here.
She brought us scattered ones together,
And gave us leaderless ones a leader;
We are a family under Gwendeth’s care.

The glimmering jewels, the glory of night!
Forever the brightness in our hearts will lie!
The distance between us may be far
But we are one in mind and heart.
We stand united under Varda’s sky.

---

Gwen, words cannot express how much you mean to us. This realm just would never be as it is if it weren’t for you. Thanks again so much for your humor, kindness, and hard work. We love you!
Ná Elbereth beria le, ná elenath dín síla erin rád o chuil lín. May Elbereth protect you, may her stars shine on the path of your life.

And just as another way of saying thank you, here's a little surprise!

by Dream~Giver and ~Mirilien~Undómiel~

contributors:

Articles by: silver_Tinuviel, Nívfaen, ~Mirilien~Undómiel, Celedë_Anthaas, Bardess_of_Rivendell, Lady~Eowyn, MelannenBrennilAelwen, Woodlandelfgirl87, Dream~Giver, cirithungol, Niphredill

Banners by: silver_Tinuviel, Nívfaen, Lady~Eowyn

:hug: :heart: to all who helped out!!

[Edited on 6/2/2007 by gwendeth]

[Edited on 6/2/2007 by Lady~Eowyn]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email