Register

12345Last >>
Author Topic:
theHierOfElendil
Council Member
Send Message
Post The soundtracks! FotR, TTT, & ROTK
on: December 28, 2002 05:11
ok, so who here thought that the soundtracks for both movies were AWESOME BEYOND ALL REASON????? i love the flute/shire theme parts in the first, and in the second i love the rohirrim theme and the violin parts. violins, played like that, are so sad and haunting.......am i the only one who loves them?? tell me!:love::love::drool:

(title edited... I'll 'top' this one for our official soundtrack thread.)

[Edited on 12/29/2002 by Elerrina]

[Edited on 7/12/2003 by Ringhilwen]
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
Post RE: The soundtracks! FotR, TTT, & ROTK
on: December 28, 2002 06:30
I love it! I practically memorized the whole score for Fellowship. My favourite parts are Rivendell, Lothlorien and the shire.

The music is very fresh, and it fits middle-earth very well. The boys' choir was brilliant; they sang in the last song 'in dreams' and also the parts where Boromir and Aragorn were drawn by the ring.

The Rohirrim theme is really really beautiful!! i've said this before but i say it again! It's so different form the elven themes but it's just as nice. I like the way they brought in the Lothlorien theme when the elves marched in to Helm's Deep, and the Rivendell theme when Arwen was leaving. They also played variations of the Fellowship theme during parts when Frodo an Sam were talking, and the other three riding.

It's so diferent form the first soundtrack but there's still that little connection between the two.

My favourite track is 'Evenstar', because the music is so ethereal and beautiful, and also all the pieces with the theme of Rohan. I play the violin and i've been trying to play the theme and imitate how the fiddle sounds like! Howard Shore's a genius.

I really can't wait for the next soundtrack i'd like to see what sort of music they would play for Gondor. TTT soundtrack is really promising.

HoE you are definitely not the only one who loves them.
numtelpion
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 07:47
yes, i loved both....first time i saw TTT i didnt think the soundtrack was really any good...but after i saw it more and listened to the cd, i was like, yup, just as good as first one.
Simbelmyne
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 10:10
I love both soundtracks - am currently trying to work the Brass Band selections (FOTR) into a piano part - spent all year hunting for those!

Loved TTT soundtrack - fave tracks - Evenstar and Foundations of Stone!

Loved FOTR just as much - fave tracks - In Dreams, Aniron, Concerning Hobbits.

Ainulindale - have you worked out the notes? I NEED THEM!
Seanthi
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 02:22
Yeah the soundstracks so rules...

My fotr-favorites are Aniron and May it Be
the fav on TTT is Golden Halls and Breath of Life, :cry:

Something to yell about :angry: It is so not a violin in the Rohirrim tracks!!!! It's a Hardinger!!! :dizzy:

Okay, they are related but a Hardinger has keys, (alot easier than a violin and the only reason why i can play one)
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: December 29, 2002 11:36
Yup it's a norwegian fiddle called a hardinger.... read it on the soundtrack notes. Don't get red in the face Seanthi!!!
How does a hardinger look like anyway??? I've never heard of it before this.

Simbelmyne:
I have the notes for the rohirrim theme, and a few others on the FOTR soundtrack. only the right-hand part if you're using a piano, because i used mine for a violin.
I played the brass band parts in my band.... just not too much parts for F. horn though.

But if you have the piano parts for those could i have it please!!!
Silivrenuial
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2002 02:22
Yes! The fotr soundtrack is my fav. cd! Enya is awesome and the music is just great. I memorized every beat of it.(im listening to it now) and its also cool how most of the words are in Sindarin and other languages.
Celticelf
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2002 06:06
Ok lets see im new at these forums but! I LOVED! the soundtracks i thought TTT was the best and i love the violin in it! its my fav part....cause i play the violin to and it soudsn so much better when your not playing it! and it reminds me of Eowyn each time i hear it or just Rohan:love::heart: and i loved the flute in the first oen to and enya..ive got all ehr c-ds i love her voice!! eee *squeels* i jsut lay around listenign cause it ROCKS! stupid chocie of words but YEAH! lol
elves_chasm
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2002 08:40
I totally love the two soundracks. I play them so much that I'm making my fiancé sick. My favorite tracks from FotR are The Bridge of Khazad Dum and The Breaking of the Fellowship. The vocals at the end of Khazad Dum are so beautiful, I get a lump in my throat everytime I hear it. Also, I just love the Norwegian fiddle from the Two Towers soundrack, it is way too cool. Where do get one of them??
perkigoth_lost
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 01:23
I don't think I've seen the soundtracks on sale anywhere near me...

Maybe I havn't been looking hard enough. Are they in the usual record shops?

cheers m'dears!
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 01:24
Yes, they are both awesome, though TTT is much more instrumental than FoTR.

FoTR favorites: Anirion, May it Be, Lothlorien, Bridge at Kazad' um, The Shire.. Aw heck, I just like the whole thing.

TTT favorites: The Rohirrim, The Hornguard (or the thing where the Elves show up, canon or not it was cool), and Gollum's song, which I really am peeved they only play over the end credits because it's a great song.
Tanlaithwen
Orange Juice Fanatic
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 01:33
Hello!
It's The Last Homely House's friendly Very Able Assistant here!
There is going to be a new section opening within TLHH at some point all about LOTR Music. One of the sections I'd like to put in that is a review of the soundtracks. But I don't just want one review! Everybody has a different viewpoint on it, so we might as well hear them all If you'd like to submit a proper review of either the FOTR or TTT soundtrack, please PM it to me. Thanks, Tan
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 04:35
I really like both Soundtracks!

One of the things I especially liked about the TT soundtrack was all the times they reincorperated themes from the previous movie in different instruments. For instance during, I believe, the Uruk-Hai, there is a brief piece of the main theme to FoTR while the three hunters run, then after they stumble across Pippin's brooch there is a segement where the music is played in wood-wind! It was things like that that made it very fun to listen too!!

I liked pretty much ALL the singing, which was good because I was worried I wouldn't. I especially liked Breath of Life, there was just something about the way the melody ran that was very mesmorising!

I also ADORED all the plays on the main theme especially the violin!!

Okay, one question though: WHERE IS THE MISSING???...okay that sounded REALLY dumb I was just wondering because the only place I THINK it might be is at the tail end of the Helm's Deep track when Eowyn think Aragorn is dead, but if that IS the right track then it must be somewhere in the middle of the song and I can't find it.

Does anyone know for sure where The Missing is?
highlandergirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 09:22
I love the TTT soundtrack, my only complaint is that it's not longer. I love the new direction they took with more vocal parts of differing styles..I just got the lim. ed., and that extra five minutes really does enhance everything! There's also lyrics in both Elvish and English inside. That Gollum song is definetly different and, um, unexpected, eh? Sounds like Bjork

[Edited on 31/12/2002 by highlandergirl]
rhia
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 10:26
I love the FoTR soundtrak and I've been listening to it all year. I just got the TTT soundtrack and I think I like it even better. I love the Rohan theme and how they weave the themes from FOTR back in. I also thought that the stronger more battle oriented Lothlorien music was awesome. But I don't really like Gollum's Song.
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: December 31, 2002 10:36
Welcome, rhia! Good to see you posting at last.

I didn't really like Gollum's Song much at first, either, but it's grown on me. Like Gollum himself, the words and melody are poignant and tormented. It took a few listens, but I now think it's very suitable for Gollum and descriptive of his tortured existence.
Belegadar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 06:06
I found that as much as I like both of the soundtracks, the first one captured my heart more. Maybe only because I know it so well, and I can invision each scene as the movie plays, but in the second film there seems to be too much horn-blowing. I do think that the Rohan theme is fantasic, and that there are some great vocals, but the Fellowship's music seems to have a larger variety of more unique sounds. Though still, two thumbs up!
Hlariwen_Umbárië
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2003 10:25
I have to agree with a majority of what's been said above. I've been a collector of film scores since I first listened (somewhat uncomfortably, as I remember - battle scenes aren't my favourites) to the Episode I music by the wondeful John Williams.

By the time Howard Shore produced the FotR CD, I was eager to listen to it, but nervous, because I hadn't really heard of him before. Nevertheless, he's now at the top of my list, at times even beating my beloved Williams! The music is absolutely perfect for Middle-earth, and he works themes even better and with more subtlety than many. Perhaps another amazing feat, he's made me fall in love with his battle scene music, which for many composers means an excuse to use every instrument in the orchestra all at once in one loud, boomy mess.

I waited what seemed like Ages for my TTT CD (I, too, treated myself to the Limited Ed., highlandergirl!). I can't stop playing it now! My favourites are (currently) The Riders of Rohan, Evenstar, Forth Eorlingas (so powerful!) and Gollum's Song. The last was a shock, but it does represent Gollum (and Frodo) so well that it's grown on me; everytime I listen to it I seem to come up with another meaning.

Shore really is a genius.

P.S. perkigoth_lost - yeah, normal record stores. Look in the "Soundtrack" section. It's probably the third most easy to find score CD, behind Star Wars and Titanic.
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 02, 2003 12:40
So...no one has any idea where The Missing is?
Ainulindale
Last Homely Housekeeper
& Gallery Shirriff

Send Message
on: January 02, 2003 12:50

By the time Howard Shore produced the FotR CD, I was eager to listen to it, but nervous, because I hadn't really heard of him before. Nevertheless, he's now at the top of my list, at times even beating my beloved Williams! The music is absolutely perfect for Middle-earth, and he works themes even better and with more subtlety than many. Perhaps another amazing feat, he's made me fall in love with his battle scene music, which for many composers means an excuse to use every instrument in the orchestra all at once in one loud, boomy mess.

I loved John William's music ever since i watched Star wars episode 4-6, but i agree that Howard Shore's music blew me away and i must admit John Williams comes second on my list. i've been comparing my divine worshipful Harry Potter soundtracks to this, but the winner is obvious.

Lady Arwen i've been listening to the soundtrack over and over but i can't find the missing. I have a feeling it is in the middle of track 12, then continued at the end of track 12 with the solo voice, but i might be wrong. However, the missign doesn't fit in anywhere else in the 19 tracks. i wasted 3 hours trying to find this out...anyone else has any idea?
perkigoth_lost
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2003 01:56
Thanks for the reply Hlariwen_Umbárië!

I'll check it out next time I'm in town.
Lady-Arwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: January 03, 2003 08:13
Lady Arwen i've been listening to the soundtrack over and over but i can't find the missing. I have a feeling it is in the middle of track 12, then continued at the end of track 12 with the solo voice, but i might be wrong. However, the missign doesn't fit in anywhere else in the 19 tracks. i wasted 3 hours trying to find this out...anyone else has any idea?

Yeah, I wonder if that's it too! Man it's hard to find though.

I wonder if there's any reason they call it The Missing...hmmm
roswell_fox
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 03, 2003 09:23
:love: i aboslutly love both sountracks so far.
but i was a bit dissapointed when the music from the two towers trailer did not appear on the st, and it was the same with the music on the fellowship trailer, i love both oieces.
does anyone know where i can get/download them?
Elvenstar
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 04:07
I loved both soundtracks,precioussessss, my favorite song on TTT was Gollum's song, but it made me REALLY . My favorite song on FotR does just the opposite, I :love: Concerining Hobbits, I was sooo :angry: when my cd burner wouldn't burn it becuz of it being an instrumental.
LOTR
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 06:03
I havnt got to here either soundtrack yet (well save for what parts you here at the movie) when i have the money they are always sold out of it and when i dont have the money they have a million of them.
Annie
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 08:06
i totally love fotr soundtrack too.. i dont think i'll likt ttt soundtrack as much as i like fotr though its great too i didnt get ttt cd yet.

is there a bonus track on fotr cd? what about ttt? :drool:
i know fotr has a secret site thing coz i have the cd.
iarfalaswen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 09:57
I also really lurve the 2 soundtracks - as with most people on the thread.
My favourite songs on TTT soundtracks are probably
6) The King of the Golden Hall
~ or~
15) the Hornburg
~or~
17) Isengard Unleashed.
cos i think that the Rohan music with the violin thing through it just makes it so intense and it draws you into the world of Middle-Earth.
My favourite on the FotR is 14) Lothlórien because the Elves are my favourite race and Elizabeth Fraser's voice just makes is so perfect. I also really like 2) Concerning Hobbits cos that's like the calm before the storm and 17) The Breaking of the Fellowship cos that puts everything into perspective. Well i think so at least.

Howard Shore did a wonderful job of incorperating some FotR theme into TTT soundtrack and the way he seems to bring the world alive! Pure genius!
*starts clapping enthusiastically*

~~*iarfalaswen*~~
PS: hey everyone! Is "The Missing" on a Ltd. Edition CD cos its not on mine :angry:! What's it sound like?
Scothia
CoE Elder Sister
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 12:35
I havnt got to here either soundtrack yet (well save for what parts you here at the movie) when i have the money they are always sold out of it and when i dont have the money they have a million of them.

Please remember that the soundtracks are available through the Council of Elrond Store. Buying here helps the site! Click on the link above, by the Council banner, to get there.
Pippin12
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 11:23
[Moved from PP by Tan]

Ok I was just wondering who here has TTT soundtrack and if so, what's your favourite song/s. Mine is Evenstar and Gollum's song. BTW can anyone give me a site for the lyrics of someof the songs in TTT? That's a BIG if.

~Pippin~

[Edited on 5/1/2003 by Tanlaithwen]
ashe
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 11:23
I have it. My favorite songs are Helms Deep,The Riders of Rohan, and the White Rider.
Eruiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2003 11:24
There are two ways I can get you lyrics- one, you go onto the Ardalambion site and click on the link for Gwaith i Pendain- I think I never fully look at teh name so I have a prettf big feeling I spelled that wrong- I've just memorized the first part. Or, go onto the Elvish 101 forum, there is a thread on the soundtrack and there is the link spelled out. it's not linked to the site though, so you would have to open it by yourself. There is probably some nice person ehre tough who has the site memorized and could put it up here. Anyway, i like Isengard Unleashed, Number 3 (Title?:blush, No. 16, and Evenstar- you know what, i really like the whole soundtrack. It's wonderful!
motoxer9264
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2003 08:37
i haven't heard TTT soundtrack, but i absolutely love the FOTR soundtrack! everything just fits the movie. my favorite songs r May It Be, In Dreams, and Concerning Hobbits.
k
Cavegirl
Send Message
on: January 08, 2003 04:09
i never liked classical music... so i avoided the fellowship sound track until i couldnt stand everyone going on about it. and i loved it :love:

i adored the shire theme and really liked enyas song at the end but the whole thing was very good.

i waited until i had seen the film to get the two towers soundtrack and i have to say its very good but i dont like it as much as FotR... i thought that in this one there would be more of that almost medievil sounding rohan theme. but there is hardly any of it which is a shame cus i really like it... also iim still not sure about gollums song...

i think perhaps i will get used to it though
Melanna
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2003 04:29
:love: i aboslutly love both sountracks so far.
but i was a bit dissapointed when the music from the two towers trailer did not appear on the st, and it was the same with the music on the fellowship trailer, i love both oieces.
does anyone know where i can get/download them?

Soz, I'm not about to be helpful but I just wanted to agree; loved the TT trailer music-so dramatic. If you find out where to get them etc, please let me know. I heard the piece from TT was composed by someone from Duran Duran or something-I'm not making it up! They were def from an 80's band anyway!
Dwarvish_Hobbitlike_Elf
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2003 12:23
I am in deep passionate mad love with the TTT soundtrack! I was just thinking how the heck anything could top the FOTR one's brilliance...but I think we have a winner!! My absolute favorite song on it is "Forth Eorlingas"-- it's beyond crazy how I cannot listen to it without bawling! Now there's a nutcase for ya. The Rohan theme is so beautifully noble and kingly...a total match made in heaven with the imagery of Rohan and the Riders. I also loved Isengard Unleashed and how they turned the Lothlorien theme into marching music for the Elves' entrance ^_~
12345Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email