<< First1718192021
Author Topic:
openmeadow
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The soundtracks! FotR, TTT, & ROTK
on: December 07, 2009 06:16
I want the complete recordings.....

one seen/heard the CD "At Dawn in Rivendell"?

I have! Actually, I have ...multiple times. There are a few others as well in that line of thought:

At Dawn in Rivendell
An Evening in Rivendell
A Night in Rivendell

Also, check out Music Inspired by Middle-earth by David Arkenstone.

[Edited on 12/7//0909 by openmeadow]
Cadence
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 17, 2009 09:40
My favorite songs from the soundtracks are:

--Gollum's song, in the end credits of TTT (Doesn't that Icelandic singer have a haunting voice?)

--Liv Tyler's song (Houses of Healing) in extended ROTK

--and of course... Pippin's part in "The Steward of Gondor"

--I also like the instrumental song "The White Tree," which is the song playing as you see the torches lighting across the mountains
Esterinel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2010 06:12
Isengard Unleashed is the most perfect thing I have ever heard. Bilbos Song is fantastic too, and Twilight and shadow, Lothlórien, and The Propecy. The Black Gate Opens is thrilling, along with The End of All Things wich fits great into the movie. And Into the West is really good :love:
Chocolatequeen
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 16, 2010 06:48
I've been listening to the soundtracks almost non-stop since November as I've worked on my fanfiction. Sometimes the perfect song will come on--"The Great River" as I was writing a scene by Anduin, "Anduril" when I was in the middle of a sword drill scene, "Twilight and Shadow" too many times to list... Those have become my favorite tracks because they're linked integrally to my story. The other one that is awesome to write to is "The Black Gate Opens." Talk about something that just fills you with energy!

Since the soundtrack and my story are almost one in my mind now, I've decided to title the chapters after tracks or lyrics. It's been an interesting process so far, and I added a twist today--chapter three will be "The Counsel of Elrond." Not a typo.
Harthad
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2010 11:50
I like Pippin's song, The Great River and too many others.

The Houses of Healing one is called (what else?) The Houses of Healing and it is so good!

That's in the complete recordings.

The only thing that I'm sad about is that Itunes only has the RotK complete recordings.
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 11, 2010 07:40
I recently bought the box set with all three soundtracks, and have hardly stopped playing them since. I think my favourite CD is the FotR one, and I can't really choose a favourite song, though the "credits" songs ("May it Be", "Gollum's Song", and "Into the West") are spectacular, and I love the choir section at the end of "The Breaking of the Fellowship". And I'm another one who likes the Rohan theme. :heart: "The Riders of Rohan" is brilliant.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: July 13, 2010 10:23
When I first read the trilogy aged 12 I listened to Sibelius, Vaughan Williams, Holst as it seemed to fit Middle Earth. Imagine my annoyance when, grudgingly deciding to watch these so-called films of the book, I hear MY theme music. The nerve! Of course I was hooked. I reccomend a listen to Sibelius 2nd in a dark room, you may hear some things you recognise. Also the 7th symphony, which only has one movement, a sort of tone poem. I see it more as sound sculpture, but then I'm pretentious.
Mostly it's Englishy sort of music. Sibelius is honorary English.

As for the soundtrack, it's not the same. 19 tracks? Snippets really but no story. I thought there was a concert version of the music but I can find no trace. Anyone else heard of it? I've recorded the credit music from the Special Extended DVDs and I listen to that. If you haven't got this 12 disc set I urge you to get it. The film is mostly better than the theatrical release but the six Appendix discs are worth it alone, almost a masterclass in film making.

Gladhaniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2010 02:52

Would you happen maybe to have a HQ link to this song? Because I've already heard it on youtube, but the quality was quite poor, and that's a shame! :O

My favorite parts are:
- Concerning Hobbits, undoubtly a classic
- Breath of Life (the elvish lines)
- Forth Eorlingas when Ben Del Maestro starts singing
- Isengard Unleashed (the choir crescendo and the singing part of Elizabeth Fraser)
- Twilight and Shadow, in my opinion probably the best music piece ever composed <3
- The Return of the King, especially when Aragorn and Arwen meet (:

But in fact, I absolutely love the three CDs.
openmeadow
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2010 04:22
I don't personally own the soundtrack, but I've checked it out multiple times from the local library. I'd have to agree with ashe about favorite tracks.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: October 25, 2010 07:17
Re: the soundtracks.

A new book has come out related to Howard Shore's development of the soundtracks that sounds like something I want to put on my Christmas list.

Entitled "The Music of The Lord of the Rings Films: A Comprehensive Account of Howard Shore's Scores by Doug Adams", it describes the themes, includes background about the films, bits of the sheet music and discussions about the instruments and choruses.

You can read the description and the review of the book here.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: October 25, 2010 12:36
Re: the soundtracks.

A new book has come out related to Howard Shore's development of the soundtracks that sounds like something I want to put on my Christmas list.

I have that book on my Amazon Wish List.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
Andromeda_of_Imladris
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2011 12:09
i LOVE the music!
i've listened to the soundtracks so many times i can identify any piece of music from them, just play it to me and i'll tell u the name of the piece, where in the movies it is and what is going on at the time.

my fav pieces would have to be:
FotR
Flight to the Ford and The Breaking of the Fellowship (i've sung 'In Dreams' from this piece, thats what got me into the music)
TTT
Breath of Life and Forth Eorlingas
RotK
Minas Tirith and The White Tree
ImageImage
ElanorBaggins
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 24, 2011 10:01
I love the soundtrack too! I've downloaded allmost all of the songs from the internet, and i listen to them allmost all the time
Gildor Inglorion
Council Member
Send Message
I have over 130 songs by Howard Shore...
My favorites are:
ROTK
"The Grace of Undomiel" (From RoTK complete recordings) really beautiful, and it has Pippin and Gandalf's arrival at Minas Tirith.
"The Eagles" (From RoTK complete recordings) The beginning is so amazingly beautiful and sad, and Renee Fleming sings amazingly.
"The Lighting of the Beacons" (RoTK complete recordings) It's the beacons music, of course it's awesome, and it has the muster of Rohan ("And Rohan Will Answer" part to.
"The Steward of Gondor" The intro flute is great, and Pippin's song is too.
"The Grey Havens" This one is so sad and beautiful.
"The Mouth Of Sauron" (From RoTK complete recordings) This has the music for Aragorn's speech at the Black Gate, and Sam and Frodo on Mount Doom.
"For Frodo" (From RoTK complete recordings) AWESOME.
"The Battle of the Pelennor Fields"
"Allegiance to Denethor"
"The Pyre of Denethor"
"The Return of the King"
...I could just keep going forever...

TTT
"Evenstar" This one is really beautiful
"Helm's Deep"
"The Hornburg"
"Forth Eorlingas"

FoTR
"The Breaking of the Fellowship"
"Flight to the Ford"
"Many Meetings"
"The Bridge of Khazad-Dum"

...basically every song...
narbelethnin
Council Member
Send Message
I love the soundtrack music! A friend and I are currently arranging Concerning Hobbits for our school orchestra. I can't wait to hear it performed!
MeliaStormcrow
Council Member
Send Message
Mine have been missing since I moved. If not, I would have listened to them today.
"The King beneath the mountains, The King of carven stone, The lord of silver fountains Shall come into his own! His crown shall be upholden, His harp shall be restrung, His halls shall echo golden To songs of yore re-sung. The woods shall wave on mountains And grass beneath the sun; His wealth shall flow in fountains And the rivers golden run. The streams shall run in gladness, The lakes shall shine and burn, All sorrow fail and sadness At the Mountain-king's return!"
The Lady Idril
Council Member
Send Message
The soundtrack is one of the (if not the) best parts of the film, in my opinion. My favorite soundtracks are "Concerning Hobbits", "The White Rider", and "The King of the Golden Hall". My other favorites are what I call "The Lighting of the Beacons" (which I believe is actually called "The White Tree" and what I dub "The Fellowship Theme" (actually called "The Bridge of Khazad-dum". Of course the lament for Gandalf is superb and the theme for Rohan stellar...I really can't pick a favorite! I did a whole blog post about just this topic! I love all the music!

[Edited on 07/16/2015 by The Lady Idril]

[Edited on 07/16/2015 by The Lady Idril]
The Lady Idril, Princess of Gondolin, Este Realm Member, www.loveroflembas.blogspot.com
Sir Krusty
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 08, 2018 04:54
Cadence said:My favorite songs from the soundtracks are:

--Gollum's song, in the end credits of TTT (Doesn't that Icelandic singer have a haunting voice?)

--and of course... Pippin's part in "The Steward of Gondor"

--I also like the instrumental song "The White Tree," which is the song playing as you see the torches lighting across the mountains

These are literally all in my favorites for LOTR. Have you heard Ironfoot for The Hobbit? It's a great song, and uses bagpipes very well!
"It’s true you don’t see many dwarf women. And if fact, they are so alike in voice and appearance that they’re often mistaken for dwarf men." - Gimli
Ameriel
Council Member
Send Message
The complete recordings for the Fellowship Of The Rings have just arrived in my country! I absolutely adore them! Good thing that I have a stereo with 3 disc spaces.
'But wherever I came it was ever the same: the feet fled, and all was still; never a greeting, only the fleeting pipes, voices, horns on the hill.' // http://www.councilofelrond.com/rpgcharacter/amaery/
fool_of_a_took_12
Council Member
Send Message
Concerning Hobbits is one of my favorites, and Into the West makes me cry every time! Lament for Gandalf is also very emotional, and the Fellowship theme is always enjoyable.
Lembas! One small bite is enough to fill the stomach of a grown man!
LOTRinConcert
Council Member
Send Message
And what say you of the films performed live to the motion picture by a symphony orchestra, and chorus?
<< First1718192021
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email