Register

Author Topic:
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
Post Sindarin Study Buddy Thread!
on: April 15, 2007 03:46
Suilad!

This is a 'restart' of the old Study Buddy Thread, hopefully to bring it to more attention and make sure that we catch anyone who's still interested in having or being a Study Buddy.

What this involves is helping, or being helped by someone else who is/has also studied Sindarin. By means of Private Messages (PM's), basically, to ask/answer questions about the workbooks and translating, perhaps coming up with a small 'word game' or two between the Buddies, whatever will help further someone's knowledge and understanding of one of JRR Tolkien's beautifully-crafted Elvish Languages.

So, to get started!!

Please post the following in this Thread:

1.) Your level of study with Sindarin
2.) Would you like a partner more advanced who would like to help a newer pupil, or,
3.) Would you like a partner that is newer to the language that YOU would like to help.

It might also be a good idea to list your "first" language .... you may find that learning is much easier if you have a partner that speaks it also !!

Hûl!!!

[Edited on 16/4/2007 by gwendeth]
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
bluelight
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Sindarin Study Buddy Thread!
on: April 16, 2007 03:08
Mae Govannen!
Well, I might be interested... not sure though. I understand most of the sindarin grammer(though I do reference the lessons most of the time, since I am not perfect in that), but I know very little vocabulary. I am fluent in both English and Hebrew, so I can help anyone who knows these languages.

thanks,
Caladluin

p.s. I don't know what level I would like my studdy budy to be, though I don't know enough to really teach.
Rino
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 19, 2007 08:08
I started learing Quenya about two years ago and stopped a little after the second lesson, and now I don't remember anything. I know it says this is for sindarin, but I could not find a study buddy group for Quenya. Anywho, I would interested in having a study buddy for the language(s).
Erythen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 20, 2007 11:08
Hello,
It has been a while sence I visited the site and was pleased to see that the Study Buddy Forum has been remade . Anyway, I'd be happy to help anyone wanting to learn Sindarin! I can't do much with Quenya (yet) but will eventually work with it. Ummm...my level could be considered moderate or advanced, though I've never really used the workbook on this site, I have glanced through them from time to time (I learned with "Pedin Edhellen" and my own research). I would request that any partner I have please have MSN...it makes things bit easier . I'd also only request serious learners only because my time is limited (18 credits this summer)

Level: Moderate to Advanced
Native Langage: English
Other Languages: German (advanced), Japanese (beginner)

Enjoy!
epic_rainstorm
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2007 03:50
I would love to have a study buddy, seeing as I am getting nowhere with myself. I did the first lesson here in the Sindarin workbook - but have not gotten anything back as of yet. I am very eager to learn, but am at a very beginnner level... and any partner of mine would have to be patient with me.

I speak English, but no other language fluently.
Level : beginning
and either a more advanced partner, or just someone along my level - who wishes to team up and learn together. Either one would be fine.

Oh! and i have aim ... which would make things easier.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: April 21, 2007 06:21
Glad to see interest still in this!!

First, Rino, the Quenya Study Buddy thread is topped in the Quenya Discussion forum, and you can find it here . Are you interested in having/being a Sindarin Buddy, too?

As soon as we get at least one more Sindarin person post interest, I'll start on the pairings.
Rino
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 21, 2007 06:41
Well, I probably will start learning sindarin later, but it's quite enough with just quenya.
pitya
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 30, 2007 03:45
i'm interested in a sindarin buddy--i used to be somewhat advanced, but have since forgotten a lot and would like to pick it back up again.

Level: Moderate
Native Langage: English
Other Languages: none i'm comfortable enough to learn a third language in fluently
MelannenBrennilAelwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 03, 2007 02:04
Well, now I'd be willing to help some beginner level students, I myself have finished and received feedback through lesson and exercises 1-12 in the Sindarin Workbook here on CoE and I continue to work on it as either Fíriel and Gwendeth can attest to...I keep pestering them with translation correction/advice for miscellaneous and random phrases and such...I suppose I could be considered a moderate or medium level student...and still learning myself, but I can help those who are starting over or starting anew with understanding the lessons and such as I have been through them...Gwen? Native language is English, and have some experience with a multitude of other language basics, not to mention some computer based tools for the rest.
Tinuviel13
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 09, 2007 10:15
I have never studied any form of elvish. I want to learn though!
azureanei
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 19, 2007 11:10
I started learning Sindarin a few years ago... I think I got to lesson five, or something like that, but I've forgotten most of it. I want to jump in again, though, and I would welcome some help.

1.) Your level of study with Sindarin - Beginner - Moderate
2.) I would like a parter who is either more advanced, or on the same level as me.
3.) English is my native English.
4.) I know Latin as well. .

Thank you!
Azure

[Edited on 19/5/2007 by azureanei]
michele
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 20, 2007 10:59
I'd like a Study Buddy. I'm very interested in learning Sindarin, so I'll need the help!

My home language is English, although I speak Afrikaans relativly well.
I'm a complete beginner at Elvish, so anyone who'd be willing to help me would be really appreciated.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2007 04:19
I'd like a study buddy too. I started to learn Sindarin a few years ago but had to stop because of school. I don't even remember to what lesson I was so I'd like to start all over again.
I'm fluent in French and English and I know a bit of German and Spanish. So any help would be appreciated, thank you!
holeshot39
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 03, 2007 08:28
how do i get the hand book for lerning this language
Anáwiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 09, 2007 11:38
how do i get the hand book for lerning this language

Click on Languages on the left-hand side of this window, then on workbook and you will get to the lessons
elvishfreak
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 14, 2007 06:59
Hello there. I am new here and I've been looking into learning Sindarin. I have printed off the first 4 lessons a while ago, but I can't remember hardly any of it. A study buddy would be great! (And I have MSN if that would help)

Level: Beginner. I would like a buddy who is either advanced/moderate if that could work.
Native Language: English. I know a little Spanish but not much.

Thank you,
-Eva
Thimbledon
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2007 03:35
I would love a study buddy however, i am leaving internet access for over a month starting July 3rd..after the 14th of august i hope to have mastered at least up to lvl 5-6. I'm going to be printing up to lesson 10. so as to be able to study Sindarin while away. So my study buddy may want a second buddy for during that time.

After that time i would despertally want a studdy buddy to help answer the many questions, which i am sure will arise.

Only language of which i would be able to converse well in is English.
I also have MSN

of course i can't use it while away.
sinanozel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2007 04:18
I would love to have a study buddy in Sindarin. I have been studying Sindarin from the Ardalambion and the Hirsweloke sites for a couple of months now; and as long as I have my notes open, I can follow up and participate in a conversation online, that's actually what I want to do.

Athrabeth erin thling, as it were.

My language is Turkish but I can easily discuss anything in English.

Take care and let me know.
ElerrinaElf
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2007 02:09
i'm new to this site and sindarin, so a more advanced buddy would be good to help me along... english is the only languate i can speak fluently... thanks...
MissIdhreniel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 27, 2007 09:47
Hi I'm also new to both the site and sindarin, I would like a somewhat advanced buddy if possible. I speak fluent english and finnish but only know a few words and phrases in sindarin.
Eryn_Undumiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 04, 2007 09:54
Well, I used to do this a lot, I was decent at it I think, but I've forgotten most everything. I dunno, I guess I would say my skills are moderate.

My first language is English, but my French skills are decent. I would take any level of buddy My first studdy buddy was way above me and I learned so much more than I with anyone else, but I would love to help someone who's just starting to
Naryb
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2007 02:40
Hello!

I'm definately interested in getting a study buddy.. I've just started, and am quite sure i could use a mentor..

Level: fresh!
native lang: English
wanted level for partner: anyone who knows more than me
and can be of help.

Naryb
asea_aranion
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 01, 2007 07:18
I would love to get a study buddy - I've hit a bit of a wall in studying on my own.

Level: 5
Primary Language: English

I'd prefer a study buddy who is a little more advanced, but if that's not possible, whoever is available would be great. I'm really interested in this and would like to be able to progress further.
Heorwyn
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2007 09:22
That would be so great! Currently it's hard to tell what level I am - I guess it might be level 3 right now. I'd like to have more practice... And if someone could help it would be fantastic.
Tulcavaryar_Unidol_1990
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 03, 2007 06:28
hey...im new here...and i saw this....i want so badly to learn the sindarin language.....and quenya,,whichever one is the best to learn or easiest. but im having trouble understanding it...and i would love to have a studdy buddy.....if anyone could help me i would appreciate it

Truenerd4life
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 20, 2007 03:27
I am a newbie, I would like to learn this language for random reasons. I am really interested and would like to have a tutor to help me. So far what I am taking in is above my comprehension level.

[Edited on 21/8/2007 by Truenerd4life]
Whitlee
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2007 01:55
Hi! I am extremely interested in learning both languages, but I've decided to start with Sindarin, as it is more frequent among most Elves. (For writing purposes.)

Level of Study : Absolute Beginner
Desired : Moderate to Advanced
Primary : English

edit - So are we supposed to be matched up, or be doing our own matching? *is nervous now*

[Edited on 11/9/2007 by Whitlee]
jimjones
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2007 03:49
Hello

I'm alse very interested in Elvish language learning, unfortunately I do not have any skills about it, but since I'm a language lover it will come with time . Please, any advice or recommendation will be very welcome. Let's study!

Level: Absolute beginner
Desired: Advanced
Primary: Português (but I also can speak English, Spanish and German)

Jim
MelannenBrennilAelwen
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: September 11, 2007 12:00
So, Gwendeth, is there enough people to start the pairings yet...I believe we have a few anxious newbie students... eager-beavers to learn elvish!!
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: November 25, 2007 06:42
i speak no sindarin at all other than a few movie words
i speak english and some french
i would like somone more advanced to help me please!

UPDATE: i just bought "languages of tolkiens middle earth" so ive learened quite a bit more but i will probobly forget everything by tomorrow so i still need a buddy!

[Edited on 3/12/2007 by frodofan14]

[Edited on 30/12/2007 by frodofan14]
raina_alassë
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 02, 2007 09:00
Be greeted all!
*curtsies*

Level: roots of the grass...

Have access to Yahoo Messenger and MSN Messenger (Live ID), AOL, Goggle Talk.

I am in start to study both Sindarin and Quenya (couldn't make up my mind, and why stop at one? )

My native language is Swedish, but I do fairly good with English, even though I sometimes do have to look some words up.

Will study with Linwe_S, but she is catching up from the start again, and it would be good to have someone that knows more than we do.

With much love
raina_alassë

PS. I have paired up myself with my friends Linwë-Saralonde and Lothara. i have finished my third lesson, and if anyone wish to join us, that is ok. Just pm me.
Hugs all!
:hug:

PS. I have reached level 5 now. 2 more friends has been added to our group. The more the merrier! :naughty:

Love the Sindarin anyway! Thanks for having the Sindarin part of the Department of Languages at this site! :hug: It is terrific!

[Edited on 11/12/2007 by raina_alassë]

[Edited on 16/12/2007 by raina_alassë]

[Edited on 25/12/2007 by raina_alassë]

[Edited on 2/1/2008 by raina_alassë]
Emily_ness
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 01, 2008 08:40
Heyy!

I'm a beginner in Sindarin and would like to be paired with someone a bit better than me =]

I can use MSN.

My first language is English, but I also speak French, German, Spanish.

=]
Turwaithion
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 05, 2008 04:26
Hey everybody! I am a complete beginner in Sindarin, although I do know some grammar and some vocab (very limited ). I speak Serbian and English. Any help would be much appreciated.

Hannon le!
gwendeth
Send Message
on: January 05, 2008 05:35
I'm working on getting pairs made up, hopefully soon.

Also, doushiette, please read your Private Messages.
Gladhon
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 14, 2008 11:29
I studied Quenya for a long time and decided to take up some Sindarin and give it a try. I would love to have a study buddy. I speak English, am taking German and also study Russian and Romanian in my free time.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email