Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Sindarin Study Buddy Thread!
on: December 19, 2012 10:27
Hi, my name is Sam. I'm new to this website, but I've wanted to study this language since I first read the books when I was 10. I'm soooo excited that i found this site, and that there are people who are serious about learning this stuff!! Before this, I thought I was the only nerd in the world who wanted to learn a nonexistent language

Anywho, I started picking Sindarin apart on my own with the help of the Appendices and stuff, but now I'm going to use this website to actually learn it! My primary language is English, though I know a smidge of Spanish (enough to say important things like "Where's the bathroom" and "I have fallen and I cant get up!" and "I'm afraid of toasters!") Me and a couple of friends want to learn it together, although I would love a study buddy to take a look at my stuff and make sure I've got it all straight. I dont really care what level my study buddy is, as long as I can learn and practice and get better! Thanks for reading
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
hirluin16
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 22, 2012 07:08
mae govannen, mellyn!

my name is david. i started learning elvish a while back, but sort of stopped. but recently i've just been interested in picking it back up again. i guess anyone who'd like to practice with me would be welcome! i think once i practice, i will remember more.

for any of you internationals, i speak german fluently as well. also meld dich einfach mal

hennaid nin!

david
carriejeanne80
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2012 11:58
i would like a study buddy as well. i am brand new and have no idea what im doing any help would be greatly awesome!
asfridr
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 31, 2013 01:19
Hey... I too am looking for a study buddy. I've just started the 'actual' lessons but I've been nosing at Sindarin for years, so I have a relatively okay understanding of the language.
I'm fluent in Danish and English but very unfluent in computer, so I know how to chat via Skype but that's it. Otherwise just exchanging experiences via email would be great
pillowzombie
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 02, 2013 10:38
i am a new member and am not very experienced with sindarin so im looking for someone to possibly be a study buddy. i am using the sindarin lessons on sindarinlessons.weebly.com.

galu
pillowzombie
leglas 2.3
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2013 11:45
Can an experienced student help me study the sindarin language... (On lesson 1 still)
Cillendor
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2013 01:21
Hey all, if you have questions then please PM me. I'd be glad to help. Also users Galadivren and Naruvir are very experienced and have taught me a lot.
TheQueenBee
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 26, 2013 01:54
Hey all I am looking for a Sindarin buddy any one interested?
Uniqueleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 09, 2013 10:38
Hello message me if you wanna study together
Isilwen_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 23, 2013 12:32
I'm looking for someone who can help me with the Sindarin. I'm Icelandic but I speak almost fluent English except for the grammar words which I'm having trouble with.
I hope someone is interested
lotrelessar94
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 25, 2013 12:34
Isilwen, I'll help you Me and Rodwen are totally willing to help with anything. I was originally teaching her the Sindarin stuff (and she's actually doing really good ) and we could all study together
"Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisoned by the enemy, don’t we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we’re partisans of liberty, then it’s our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!"
SilverMoon44
Council Member
Send Message
After years of talking about it, I would finally like to learn Sindarin. I am totally new to this and would love to have a study buddy so that I don't teach myself wrong.
LadyIridel
Council Member
Send Message
Have tried this many times before, but life always got in the way. I've done well on the Tengwar and even created my own based on current forms but still want to learn Sindarin. Any buddies (or Mellyn) who would like to help or study with me.
Idhreneth77
Council Member
Send Message
Hi all!! =) My name is Idhreneth (in Sindarin) and I am looking for a study buddy! I've tried to study several times and picked up a few words and phrases here and there but I keep getting discouraged doing it alone. Is there anyone out there who would like to practice with me over PM or email? I'm totally a noob so I'll take any level
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
Ok, so I've been working on learning Sindarin for about 6 months now. So...if anyone would like some help I don't mind trying to help or practice. Just remember that I'm still learning too! (I also have a crazy schedule IRL so it might take a few days before I can respond to anything)
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I need a study buddy. There, I said it.
Just kidding. I really do need one though. I would love to know Sindarin, but the language just doesnt really stick to me the way it should be. Its frustrating. Anyone up to the task?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Silmariel-Feanors-Child
Council Member
Send Message
hello. I'm looking for who can specifically help me with the grammar of Sindarin someone , such as the right to decline words or verbs as they say something . to give an example. I eat, you eat, we eat ... because in German it is translated rather different than in engliscchen where there is almost only one word for verbs . So should anyone have the interest and patience to bring a newbie like me the grammar of Sindarin, from the beginning of , I would appreciate it.
My particular problem is , I know not how to properly declined verbs , and what rules you must observe when verbs ending in.
Light and Darkness belongs together . neither can exist without the other ! The first step will lead you mostly to the correct location but a wrong step will be your ruin quickly. ImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Im still looking for a general study buddy, so if anyone is up for that, Im free. Im really shaky on pretty much everything when it comes to Sindarin, but with practice, Im sure I will be fine.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Helen Stirling-Knight
Council Member
Send Message
Pardon me, loves. I am Helen, and I have been interested in Elvish for a very long time. I even discovered that my grandfather looks like Lord Elrond. I am working on studying Elvish as of last night, and I saw that this website has a name finder. I would like to ask, if anyone knows, do I use the persons given name (the one they have in the mundane world) or do I use one of the translations it suggests? Pardon my lack of knowledge, but please help.
Lady Helen Irene Ellefox Stirling-Knight
LlamaAshkei42
Council Member
Send Message
Greetings! I'm brand new to this learning a new language thing, but I've always wanted to do it! I'd really like to have a study buddy help me out with things I'm shaky on! Seasoned veteran or new beginner doesn't really matter to me, although learning alongside someone would be fun. I'm a native English speaker, if that helps, and I'm really looking forward to learning!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." -Douglas Adams
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
LlamaAshkei42, I will be your study buddy. I will send you a Private Messege just to confirm.

Helen Stirling-Knight, if you mean what name to type in, I would type in the persons real name.

LlamaAshkei42
Council Member
Send Message
I'm excited! Let's get started!
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." -Douglas Adams
Lotrfanforever
Council Member
Send Message
Im looking for a study buddy, I know a few words and phrases in Sindarin and Id like someone to learn more with.
PhantomoftheStars
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, I would like to learn Sindarin, and I would enjoy having a study buddy, its really effective in my opinion. I'm a new to this too.
"There was an old owl who lived up a tree, the more he saw the less he spoke, and the more he learned" said the Black dragon, "I for one have experienced the same, this is why you would find me so silent. You see I am a mystery, I have no one true personality, but know that I chose a path, a path to the good, to the twinkling stars."
reaching-xibalba
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2013 09:48
Hi, I'm a total newbie, and I'm looking for a buddy to help me out while I get a feel for this whole thing. English speaking, and I have never done any elvish before. I would really appreciate the help!

[Edited on 12/11/2013 by reaching-xibalba]
A mind needs books as a sword needs a whetstone, if it is to keep its edge
Erwedraith
Council Member
Send Message
Suilad!

I'm new at this site and I'm very very interested in learning Sindarin! I've been in love with Lotr sin a wee lad so a study buddy would be awesome!

"Some believe that it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I've found. I found it is the small things. Every day deeds by ordinary folk that keeps the darkness at bay." - Gandalf
Tauriel Starbright
Council Member
Send Message

Greetings everyone!

I am new to this website. And I am eager to learn Sindarin...so I would love a study buddy.
MirceCaptainofGondor
Council Member
Send Message
can anybody tell me where i can find PDF version of sindarin workbook
AnariaLaurelin
Council Member
Send Message
Mae Govannen, mellyn!

I would love a study buddy for Sindarin because though I eagerly try to learn it, I'm afraid not much is going in. I'll also happily be someone's buddy, just be warned I'm not an expert yet. Just pm me either way!

Anarien
Image Image
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I am looking for a new study buddy, as my former one has been MIA...
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
I'd like a study budy. (^̮^)
Although I'm not sure how this works exactly, but it is always nice to have a buddy. I'm planning on studying both languages, in case anyone is interest in both too.

~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
A study buddy is someone who you can, well, study with, and bounce questions off of if you get into some confusion. So I will be your buddy! Im working primarily on Sindarin, but I can start Quenya, too, along with that. I shall soon speak four languages!
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
That would be great, Maxie! Thanks! ♥
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Hello everyone. I'm a new member and would like to have a study buddy for Sindarin. I've been nosing around the language for a while and know a few words, but I'm not confident with sentences, even phrases. Yeah...I'm amateur. I'd like to study with a user of the language who is more advanced than me.

Novaer!

[Edited on 02/11/2014 by Alexanda]
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I finished the lessons, but I would be glad to walk back through them with you, Alexandra, if you'd like. I could use the refreshers as well, since it is always good to recap. Two buddies are better than none! Send me a PM.

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email