Author Topic:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post A Precious Gift (TT Thread)
on: May 10, 2007 06:20
A Precious Gift

First, the rules for joining this thread:

1) This is a Totally Tolkien thread, so the rules are strict about what’s acceptable and what’s not. Remember to read the rules set up by the mods. If you think you’ll have a problem staying with them, this thread isn’t for you. We’ll only be accepting a certain number of players, which makes things easier to keep in line. The Plot thus far has been approved to go in the TT forum by Berethedhellen.

2) All posts in this thread will be at least one large paragraph long- that means more than four or five sentences- we’re talking maybe half a page at the very least. Your writing also has to be acceptable- understandable, well-thought out, and it must attribute to the plot of the story as well as being grammatically correct. No Chatspeak!

3) You must adhere to the scripting decided by myself and Galenfea. This is an extremely scripted thread, and any large plot changes must be approved by us and agreed on by others in the thread. This will be the purpose of the OOC thread. We will listen to ideas of other players, of course, but the final decision rests with the thread creators.

4) DO NOT post in the OOC first. You must first pm me with an idea for your character and how he or she will fit into the plot, and I will check with my fellow-thread-creator Galenfea to see if you’ll be accepted. As soon as you get a reply, you should post here in the OOC as a sort of ‘intro’ and include a link to your character’s profile. Know that, if you rp on CoE and Loki's Palace regularly, we’ll be looking at some of your other threads to see how you like to rp before making a decision.

5) Realize that this may be a fairly slow-moving thread due to the busy lives of the players, but it will be moving at a steady (if slow) pace nontheless. If you're not sure you'll have the time and energy to put into good posts, this thread isn't for you. If anyone joins and then holds up the thread for an undue amount of time or causes problems in other ways, they may be asked to bow out gracefully.

---------------------------------------
Now onto the fun stuff!

This story is set in The Fourth Age and based around a band of elves from Lothlorien. (Which means that, to begin with, all characters should be elves). Our back story is this:

Before Galadriel left Middle-Earth she foresaw the birth of her great-grandson (Aragorn and Arwen’s son). Since she would not be there herself, she had a bow made from mallorn wood and set a gem into it, and bestowed an elven blessing upon it, that it would always fire true. It’s a powerful weapon, and it has been safely guarded in Lothlorien for many years. Now that her grandson is old enough to wield it, it is being takento Minas Tirith by an honored group of elves chosen for the task. Our story will open in Lothlorien, perhaps with our travelers preparing to leave. They will set out by boat.

According to writings by JRRT there was a new evil rising when Eldarion became king, so it’s safe to assume that some wicked servants of Sauron are still around, and looking for ways to bring him back to power.

Along the way our elves will somehow manage to wreck their boat, and have to begin traveling on foot. The precious bow will be stolen by an evil man, and it will be up to our elves to track him down and save the weapon from being taken into hands that could put it to evil use.

Our wicked men may be hiding out somewhere in Rohan, which will open up the possibility of human characters- but, that's much later in the story, and still under discussion. During the traveling we can have relationships forming, and plenty of chances for different kinds of adventures... but, we're going to avoid the random orc bands.

I will be playing the elf minstrel/archer Ainu. His profile can be seen HERE

I will also be playing two other characters, an elf and one of our bad guys, but they've not yet been created. I'll add link to their profiles as soon as they are.

If this thread looks interesting and like a fun, creative challenge to you, just remember to pm me with your character. We're going to have a good ol' time!

[Edited on 10/5/2007 by dreamdancer]
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: A Precious Gift (TT Thread)
on: May 11, 2007 10:48
Hi, I'm Galenfea, the fellow creator of this thread. I will be playing with two of my main characters, existing friends of Ainu: Galenfea and Gaeron, as well as at least one bad guy, depending on what works.

I think that's all apart from what DD has already said. Hope this all works!

[Edited on 11/5/2007 by Galenfea]
--- All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2007 12:56
And I'm Iri *bows*
I've created the character Risthir

I'm willing to play any extras if needed. And baddies as well, they are always wicked fun to play and create.
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 18, 2007 06:25
*grins* Sirithros here, but people seem to prefer just "Siri" and it's stuck. ^^ Thanks dd and Galenfea for letting me in!

My new character Caraniel finally up in the database here. And I certainly wouldn't mind taking on a baddie... Sakhar hasn't had much use so I wouldn't mind bringing him in if it's ok!
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 04:17
Huzzah! That's four of us... we're still waiting on a few people to post their intros, but this is our first step toward getting into motion. Yay! Thanks for joining the thread! ^_^ Galenfae and I were thinking of playing the baddies ourselves, but there may be room for more... we'll have to see what happens when we reach that point of our story

Yall's characters look great! Ainu's looking forward to traveling with them! I'll have links to my other characters up soon
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 22, 2007 04:38
Hello, DreamDancer, and a big hi to Galenfea, Iri and Sirithros_Lirenel.

I received a 'yes' to my request to join the thread, a day ago, but I didn't want to write in until I was a hundred percent satisfied with my character[s]. Well, I realised I'll never be a 100% satisfied so after a couple of drafts I am sending the links in. Initially, I had thought of just Banvain Nestad but somehow the character of Lillassëa Almisthel gave me a poke in the side and asked if it would be possible if she could join in, too. I am actually still thinking about it, because, frankly, I wanted Celeblas to keep Banvain company (if anyone is wondering where Celeblas' link is - I am still working on it)!

Lillassëa Almisthel is Celeblas' mother actually and they are all a part of the Aleaningwë family. The list is here - if anyone is interested to check up on it.

But I think I am rambling again, so I'll just say a quick thank-you once more to dreamdancer and Galenfea for allowing me to join the thread. Oh, yes, I just would like to know which years of the Fourth Age will "A Precious Gift" (approximately) be set in? ... You see, Celeblas leaves Middle-Earth in Fourth Age 121 - so knowing the approximate time frame would make me know for sure if I get to keep him in the thread or not.

Looking forward to a great journey!!
"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2007 04:21
Gosh, people! :waves:
Going to be away for the weekend. Don't start without me.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 25, 2007 05:14
Of course we won't, Galenfae :heart:

Erumelmo, your characters all look great! I'm planning on playing three as well.... two elves and one baddie. If you want to play more than one character (I know the feeling... I can never play just one ) please consider playing no more than two or three. We're trying to avoid having an over-load of characters, which is one reason we limited the number of people allowed to join the thread (just to keep things from getting confused).

Still, many welcomes to the thread! It will be a bit longer before we begin, but if yall have any ideas for our plot, feel free to start suggesting.
Iri
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 25, 2007 06:11
I'll probably stick with just the one character mainly, if anything strikes me it would only be minor. It already seems there will be quite a few characters
gwendeth
Accounts Admin, Sindarin Mod & Head Stargazer of Varda
Send Message
on: May 31, 2007 12:31
Hello, all!

Well, according to dd and Galenfea, I'm in too.

I've started the first sketch of my character Salabeth. I'll be fleshing her out once I get home today (am at work right now :angel: ), but wanted to get my name in here! ^^

Right now I'm just looking at one character... but as dd knows me all too well that's likely to change.
"Tolo si, a tiro i cherth Eru" "Come now, and see the works of God"
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 15, 2007 06:43
Welcome, gwennie!

If we're all accounted for and no one else is interested in joining, I think I'm going to write the first post very soon.

My elf character besides Ainu is going to be Iondullas . If no one has any qualms, I'll be starting up the thread in the next few days
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: June 16, 2007 10:29
Had you forgotten that I asked if I could join as well, dd? My char is Hossecano Manveru...he's in the db.

If you'll check him out and let me know whether you will accept me, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 16, 2007 12:07
Here's looking forward to it!
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 07:51
I hadn't forgotten, Ber, but you'd told me you weren't sure if you would have the time and of course I kept forgetting to mention it on MSN to see if you'd decided for sure or not... I'm sorry *hides*

Your character looks awesome and of course we'll love having you in the thread! :heart: I'm glad to rp with you any time

[Edited on 17/6/2007 by dreamdancer]
gwendeth
Send Message
on: June 17, 2007 10:08
I'm looking forward to this! And, btw I did flesh out Salabeths's char; just didn't want to double-post. :angel:
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 30, 2007 05:55
She looks great, gwen!

I've been SO busy, yall! I just started a new job! *faints*

I shall get this written soon, though, I promise!
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 03, 2007 11:56
You've probably told me already, DD, but how soon after Renegades are we setting this?
I'm trying to figure out how fully Finnar and Gaeron will have recovered from their meeting with the Haradrim.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 05, 2007 02:57
I don't remember if we ever made a set time for how long... but it could have been months or longer if that works best for your guys. *cuddles them*
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 08, 2007 09:37
Well, I finally posted an opening. The thread is in the TT forum. The post isn't that great, but its all I really had time for and maybe it at least gives us all a chance to introduce our characters
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 12:10
Ee! The day is finally here... gosh, after so much planning...
Hope my first post is OK! It's a bit of a marathon, but it introduces where my characters are and gets them together with yours, DD.

In case anyone else is worried, Gaeron will be coming, Finnar will not.
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 09, 2007 03:20
Hey, *great* start y'all!!

Galenfea, I had a thought - might Salabeth (as a Healer) be able to reinforce Finnar's staying in Lothlorien? Might she have been one of the healers tending to him?

That could be a good way for me to get Salabeth 'introduced', and then on to meeting with the others if it's okay with you.
Galenfea
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2007 04:21
sounds good, Gwendeth. Certainly a good way of getting Salabeth involved with my three + hence smoothly into the plot.
at work, may say more later
gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 10, 2007 04:45
Way cool!!

I'm heading off to work in just a few, but I'll be 'pondering' on my post! :angel:
Sirithros_Lirenel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 03:17
Just posted; hope it's alright and I'm not breaking any order or anything...
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 08:28
great posts, Siri and Galenfae! Yay, we're finally moving!

I'm eager to see everyone else's entry too ^^
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 01:59
Hello, dreamdancer,
I got onto the site after a bit, so I didn't know that the RP had started. I have been having a small crisis at home. Dad was hospitalised.

Did go through your post - lovely one- but not the other two - will have my post by the next couple of days.

I am so glad to see it start!

gwendeth
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 04:21
Hey, Erumelmo - hope things are all right with your dad! :hug:

Anyway, well, I've posted - hope it's all right!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 05:02
Sorry guys,

Manveru will be wandering to the fountain ASAP...he's been a little delayed with real life. Don't leave without him, please.

Erumelmo....Not good news about dad...I hope he's okay. My prayers are with him, sweetie.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 05:12
Great post, gwennie!

Erumelmo, your dad is in my prayers! There's no rush on posting at all.

No need to apologize, Ber! Take all the time you need to post. We won't go anywhere without you and Manveru I think we're all pretty busy with real life *hugs* :heart: So there's no hurry on anyone. ^_^
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 12, 2007 11:42
Thanks, everyone.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 01:31
Okay, I have finally posted. Let me know if it needs any editing or amendments.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 13, 2007 02:36
Wonderful post, Ber! I love it :heart:
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 14, 2007 01:28
I have put up my first post. I hope it is all right. I worked on it today itself, but didn't get a chance to revise the draft. So if it needs to be changed in any part, do let me know.
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 08:31
Great posts, Eumelmo and Iri! And great post, Siri! I'm going to get a reply up sometime today, hopefully! I think I'll try to get Ainu and, if its ok wth you, Galenfae, your charrie to the fountain so we're all in the same place. ^_^

From here on out I'd like for us to post in the order we're rolling in, so that no one gets left behind ^_^

Thanks yall for joining! I know we're going to have a great time!

[Edited on 15/7/2007 by dreamdancer]
dreamdancer
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 15, 2007 09:52
Sorry for the double post... but before we get any further I'd like to ask yall to please wait and let us post in turns. Like I said in the beginning ooc, this is going to be a slow moving thread... I know I'm busy a lot of the time, and I'm sure everyone else has stuff going on. I'm not even sure if I'm going to have time to post today after all, so please, no one else post until I have a chance to do so. I'm not asking that anyone edit what's already been posted, but we should take turns in the future so everyone gets their chance without getting left behind.

(I think the turns should currently be in this order: me, gwen, ber, iri, eru, siri, galenfae, then me, etc. )

Also, just to mention it, try to hold off on writing for other characters... sometimes we can't really get around it, but when it comes to assuming the thoughts or feelings of another character, its probably best not to assume. I'm not trying to be a bossy snot, I just don't want anyone to get their feelings hurt or get offended in this thread. :heart:
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email