Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter quote IIa The Battle of Unnumbered tears
on: August 19, 2007 05:03
What did you think of this?
What does it say about the forces allied against the Elves?
Could you obey the commands and stay in place?

Then the captain of Morgoth sent out riders with tokens of parley, and they rode up before the very walls of the outworks of the Barad Eithel.With them they brought Glemir son of Guilin, a lord of Nargothrond, whom they had captured in the Bragollach and had blinded, and their heralds showed him forth crying; 'We have many more such at home, but you must make haste if you would find them. For we shall deal with them all when we return, even so.' And they hewed off Gelmir's arms and legs, and left him.
'

[Edited on 20/8/2007 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
Lomelindi_of_Moonlight
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter quote IIa The Battle of Unnumbered tears
on: August 20, 2007 04:29
Well, I know for one thing that if this was my old friend/brother/comrade-in-arms I would be completely enraged! Imagine how terrible that must have been; it's one of the worst sort of deaths for a warrior to endure. He had no chance to defend himself, and he was slaughtered in front of his kindred (who could do nothing to save him from such a sudden torment). It was the perfect way for Morgoth to practically rub it in his enemies faces the kind of evil they were up against.

Another thing: it mentions that the captain of Morgoth "sent out riders with tokens of parley" which would seem like a very neutral and normal thing to occur before a major battle comences. Each side gives the other one last chance of surrender before the fighting starts, but in this case Morgoth twists even this into one last demonstration of his power and evil. It was meant to intimidate, but his enemies weren't afraid of his scare tactics. For the freedom of elves and men like Glemir was what they were fighting for, and it definately was a stupid move for Morgoth and his captain.

I would like to think I could keep my head and follow orders to stay put, but I certainly can't blame anyone who rode out to begin the fight for what they did. It's very natural to want to avenge an injustice, but there was so much at stake for even a moment of no self-control. The very shock of it would probably keep me rooted were I stood for a few moments at least.
Almerúvë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 21, 2007 02:48
It only makes you hate Morgoth even more than you allready do. At least if that's possible.

I don't think I could stay in place and follow orders, I would be shocked first, and then enraged, just like the peoples in the book. I agree with Lomelindi_of_Moonlight.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: August 24, 2007 06:34
What did you think of this?
It is sickening that someone would have to suffer in that way.

What does it say about the forces allied against the Elves?
It shows just how cruel and evil Melkor and his servants really are.

Could you obey the commands and stay in place?
I couldn't say for sure if I could stay in place especially if it was someone dear to me. I think your instincts for vengance would take over and couldn't be controlled. It would have been wiser to stay in place and wait for the plan to come together.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email