Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter quote IIIa The Words of Hurin and Morgoth
on: August 27, 2007 01:50
The curse;

'I am the Elder King Melkor, first and mightiest of all the Valar, who was before the world, and made it. The shadow of my purpose lies upon Arda, and all that is in it bends slowly and surely to my will. but upon all whom you love my thought shall weigh as a cloud of Doom, and it shall bring down into darkness and despair. wherever they go, evil shall arise. Whatever they speak, their words shall turn against them. They shall die without hope,cursing both life and death'

Why the curse?

Are there any inaccuracies in Morgoth's statement?
Dwarflord
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter quote IIIa The Words of Hurin and Morgoth
on: August 28, 2007 11:41
I think the biggest innacuracy here is that Morgoth claims to be the Creator. I think that his biggest folly was to see himself as the mightiest of all. The evil that gnawed at his heart made him believe this. His pride was his undoing in the end.
The curse he laid upon Hurin's family came directly from this pride. Hurin dared to oppose him so valiantly. Morgoth could'nt have that. He had a need to break his enemies. And the ones that were the most dangerous he wanted to destroy and lead them to despair. Death (in his eyes) would be too light a punishment.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: August 31, 2007 08:47
Morgoth cursed Hurin because he defied him and would not tell him where Gondolin was. Morgoth thought that the torture of watching his family suffer would break Hurin's will eventually. Another inaccuracy is the all this in Arda bend to his will. Not everything. There are still those that try to fight him whether they are successful or not. The elves and the edain do not bend to his will.
Elana
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 01, 2007 01:38
I think Morgoth cursed Húrin and his family because he was afraid of them. There was Húrin, a valiant warrior, who would not bend to his will! He was not sure if this man and his family had some hidden strength that could be dangerous for him. This was something Morgoth wasn't used to and by the curse he tried to prevent any "harm" that this family could do to him. He just wanted to discourage all members of this family who might try to oppose him, as Húrin did. Morgoth was the Master of Lies and one who builds his plans on lies is afraid of the truth. Thus, another cause for his fear was that he knew his power was not unlimited. He was no longer "the First of the Valar" and nothing he said to others could make himself forget it - and so he was eager to show off with the power he had to make everyone believe it was unlimited.
(Does this make any sense? :blush: )
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email