Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Big Mistakes and Errors in judgment-an ongoing list
on: September 03, 2007 12:51
The family of Hurin, as the story continues, will make a number of poor decisions that end up adding to the tragedy. In this thread we will list and discuss these mistakes as we come accross them; as each error is posted, I will edit it into this post.

1) Because of her pride, Morwen refuses to leave and travel to Doriath wher she would be under the protection of Thingol and safe within the Girdle of Melian

2) Turin, after the death of Saeros, refuses to submit to King Thingol's judgment

3)Turin refuses the chance to return to Doriath, but instead decides to stay in command of his own small band of outlaws.

[Edited on 12/10/2007 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post RE: Big Mistakes and Errors in judgment-an ongoing list
on: September 25, 2007 04:47
I think that we have another big error in judgment in Chapter V; Turin refuses to risk waiting on Thingol's judgment after the accidental death of Saeros, and heads off on his own.
He honestly doubts that Thingol can judge ithe matter impartially when it matter concerns one of his own advisors acting improperly.
It is also posible that he is just using this as an excuse to justify his departure as Thingol had already recommended that he not leave yet and refused him any companions from amongst the Doriath Elves.
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 09, 2007 12:34
Turin , when rescuing a fleeing maiden, accidentally kills the leader of the Gaurwaith, and ends up replacing him. This was an error, but it did work out for the best?

[Edited on 12/10/2007 by PotbellyHairyfoot]
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: October 12, 2007 12:27
Turin refuses the chance to return to Doriath, but instead decides to stay in command of his own small band of outlaws.
He'd rather be a big fish in a small pond.
Pride? Arrogance?, Embarsassment? Why does he make this decision?
Nordor
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 27, 2008 11:30
I believe that poor judgment is the heart of the story. I use to think that Tolkien was trying to create a tragic hero but more recently I've come to the conclusion he was being more tongue in cheek about it. Turin isn't so much tragic as he is just not a good decision maker. He's implusive and unlike most people his first impression is usually incorrect. It's connected to the debate between Morgoth and Hurin. Morgoth wants Hurin to believe that his curse is responsible for the family's misfortune but Hurin doesn't buy it. Turin is the master of his own fate, he just isn't good at it. "The fault is not in our stars but in ourselves."
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2011 11:07
Its a little odd to answer 5 years old posts...
Anyways... Turin had got Glaurung to deal with. Glaurung distorted Turin's judgment when he made Turin go back to search for Morwen and Niënor in the place were Turin was born (sorry don't remeber the name of that place). Morwen and Niënor, however, by the time of the fall of Nargothrond had gone to Doriath. This misjudgment I think we could blame Glaurung for. And Morgoth sent Glaurung in order to mess things up. This could be a part of the curse of Morgoth.
Besides we see that not only Turin is making decisions wich in the end prove to be fatal. As already pointed out, both Morwen and Niënor were quite headstrong at some point. So, after my judgment... (however wrong it may prove to be in the end XD) one might conclude that Morgoth's curse is not to be treated too lightly, though Hurin may have been too proud to confess it straight in Morgoth's face.

And back to the topic, Turin always operated after the motto; "attack is the best defence". While staying in Nargothrond he therefore got this bridge to be built. Even though Ulmo sent messengers to tell him to take the bridge away, so that Nargothrond could remain hidden a little longer, he refused to do so. That decision led to the fall of Nargothrond.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email