Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Bagheera
Council Member
Send Message
Post Foreign-Sold Evenstar Pendant & Ring of Aragorn: Authentic or Counterfeit?
on: September 19, 2007 07:58
Hey guys. I am an owner of two Noble Collection Evenstar pendants and I frankly am not very satisfied with the worksmanship of their products (the glued-on crystals, with sloppy glue job that shows the glue clearly when flipping the pendant over... and yes the crystals have fallen out quite a few times and I superglued them back on. The silver backing on the crystals have all pelled off around the edges as well...)

So as I searched around for alternatives I found a few interesting products...

The first was this:http://www.lotrjewellery.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=31

The manufacturer claims to be officially licensed by New Line Cinema to make these "New Zealand version" Evenstars. They obviously didn't use the original mold by Jasmine Watson though... as you can see the details on the leaves are very different from the Noble Collection version; I do like the fact that they use Cubic Zirconia stones instead of crystals though, and that the gems are set in with claws instead of cheap glues. Now, can anyone confirm that the manufacturer is indeed licensed by New Line to make these? Or is this a fake? The leather pouch with license attached seems authentic enough...

And here comes the fun part (AKA Ebay):
http://cgi.ebay.com/Sterling-Silver-Arwen-Evenstar-Large-Pendant-Chain_W0QQitemZ330166605059QQihZ014QQcategoryZ86936QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I compared the photo to my Evenstar, and the details seem very authentic - seems like they made a mold out of the official one by Noble? I really want a pendant with CZ gems instead of crystals, and these ones are set in too... the only thing is the middle gem is missing, though that's not a big deal since I guess I can just pull the one from my Noble Evenstar off and glue it onto this, hmm... In any case this isn't an officially licensed product, and the seller said so too; just figured I would showcase it...

This is the most interesting find of all:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=260161079412&ssPageName=STRK:MEBI:IT&ih=016

The seller claims this is an officially licensed product from New Line Cinema. I've never seen anything like this... CZ gems, all 7 of them, cut to the likeliness of the crystals on the Noble Collection version, and set in instead of glued on. Even comes with a box and certificate? I am really confused... could it be that New Line licensed foreign companies to produce LOTR collectibles for distribution outside of USA and hence these products are never seen here? If so this manufacturer is kicking Noble's tail... Anyone may have some info regarding this particular Evenstar pendant? I am looking into buying this one to see if the quality is any good...

Another interesting find on the side was http://cgi.ebay.ca/LORD-OF-THE-RINGS-ARAGORN-RING-OF-BARAHIR-SILVER-Size12_W0QQitemZ260132640416QQihZ016QQcategoryZ86936QQcmdZViewItem, from the same seller as the Evenstar pendant. Again the seller claims this to be an officially licensed product by New Line, and more interestingly says this is an early version that came out in the U.S.??? The mentioning of the snake's tongue sticking out is worth noting as well - I did some searched on Yahoo but couldn't confirm whether or not the real ring of Aragorn worn in the movie has the snake tongue sticking out or not (not even sure if there's a shot from the movie where the ring is visible with clear details). If someone has some info on this, please share?

Thanks so much for reading.
Arwen_noblemaiden
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Foreign-Sold Evenstar Pendant & Ring of Aragorn: Authentic or Counterfeit?
on: September 21, 2007 07:38
I actually have the pendant from ebay that doesn't have the stone in the middle. It's really amazing for the price. It almost looks exactly like the official one, except the missing stone and the part on top that connects it to the chain. I am trying to figure out a way to add the middle stone. I may buy a setting and try to solder it in.
But I still would like to get the official one. I wonder if there is a way to solder little clamps onto the pendant to hold the crystals in better.

[Edited on 26/9/2007 by Arwen_noblemaiden]
Sith_Haldir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Foreign-Sold Evenstar Pendant & Ring of Aragorn: Authentic or Counterfeit?
on: March 31, 2008 10:01
Can't check out the eBay link anymore as they're gone.

Anyhow, I know that EVITA/Movie Premiums who is authorized to sell their LOTR/SW/HP wares in Asia Pacific (Except New Zealand & Japan) and Germany (for certain wares only) does produce a few versions of Evenstar.

When they first comes out at the LOTR Exhibition in Singapore in 2004, 3 different versions are sold and all 3 are bulky shaped:
- Zinc(?) Version
- Sterling Silver "1:1" Version
- Sterling Silver 1:2 Version

Around 2005 or 2006, they released a more refined version of the Sterling Silver Evenstar, both the 1:1 and 1:2 versions:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/idrial/LOTR_Jewellery/Evita/DSCN0329.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v640/idrial/LOTR_Jewellery/Evita/DSCN0331.jpg

This is the version being sold on eBay or Yahoo! Auction usually originating from Singapore (usually Popcorn Pop or Concept Shoppe) or Malaysia (MyCityMall).

Recently, I found out that they also released the 1:2 version of the Zinc Evenstar some time between 2004 or 2006.

Sadly, I only managed to get the 1:1 Zinc and Ver. 1 Sterling Silver ones. Am hopping to get the Ver. 2 of the 1:1 Sterling Silver one but the maker had "disappeared", quoting personal health problems.

As for why all except the Zinc version have no Crystal above the pendent, the maker said she had problems putting on good crystals on that part, connecting it to the chain without causing the crystal to melt or something.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email