Register

Author Topic:
erufailonsphere
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Golden Compass Movie!
on: October 22, 2007 01:43
Hey everyone!!

Great news!! Philip Pullman's book, The Golden Compass (a.k.a. Northern Lights) has been made into a movie and will be released on the 7th December!! It stars Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman amongst others!!

If you want more information, go to goldencompassmovie.com. There are a whole lot of links there to check out. Eg. you can do a test and see what Daemon you get - I got a Snow Leopard called Hypatia.

Feel free to post what your Daemon is - if you're into that kind of thing!!?

Also, discuss the books here if you would like!!

Best wishes,
eru
Nendhínen
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Golden Compass Movie!
on: October 22, 2007 05:14
I'm looking forward to it since the trailer has been released (June or so). I haven't read the book but the trailer looks good and well I really need my yearly amount of fantasy so I'm going to see it in the cinema (but there are three months yet to wait)

My daemon is a black cat called Voltina.
MerryandPip
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2007 10:12
I have been obsessing over these books since...I think July. My daemon is a snow leopard named Aeschylus.

Aaaand I'm so excited about the movie, especially seeing Iorek on screen.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 21, 2007 02:43
The books were awesome - though my favourite is The Subtle Knife. It really is quicker and sharper in prose and style.

My daemon, incidentally, is a lynx named "Eurasta".
"Why? Because I'm afraid and he gives me courage."
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 22, 2007 06:43
I loved the books and I think the movie is going to be great! I watched the trailer on the website this morning and I'm really excited about the movie!
My daemon is a tiger named Cleon
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2007 02:44
It doesn't seem to be a world wide release, since there has been no publicity about it here in India... I guess I shall have to wait - because it most probably will be released during the 'Xmas vacation.
Rachelle25
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 04, 2007 07:48
I don't want to be the damper on all of your excitement, but I'm kind of upset at this movie. I don't mind people sharing their beliefs to others (i.e. Pullman being an atheist). It's a God given right (unless you don't believe in God) to share your beliefs with others and to choose your own. I simply wish the movie trailers would better depict what the whole movie is about - which is mostly atheism and witchcraft. I know I'm treading in deep water here, but that's simply what I'm feeling. Again, I don't mind them making it into a movie - everyone is entitled to the ability to express their own beliefs - I simply wish they would put into better description what the books and now movies are all about. Also, I know that you don't what to "ruin" a movie by giving it away, but a person can tell a plot without ruining it, too. There is a way for it to be explained better without ruining the movie, I just wish they would do it. Other than that, I don't really mind the movie coming out. Now, since I am obviously not an atheist, I don't plan on seeing it myself, but I'm not going to freak out if anyone else sees it. That kind of stuff is just ridiculous. I just like things to be plain and simple and all out in the open.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 01:25
That is precisely what I like about the books. The ambivalence. I have always thought of religion being a pathway to what God is all about - I do believe in God, to make this clear from the start - but I also believe in the essential nature of matter. And frankly, coming from a country which celebrates Nature, I can understand what the book is all about - because it is not about God or the lack of a God, but an existential reality - atoms going back into atoms, Nature taking back what is her own. The books are about liberation. In fact, a celebration of Free Will but in close contact with factors of Destiny.

Witches are a part of the book - not the central idea. They exist as another part of a fantastical world...and do remember this is fantasy that we speak of...in Tolkien, a lot of negativity and sadness permeates from the East, which could also be misconstrued on various levels and, in this day and Age, could be taken as being politically incorrect. Being from the East myself (India) I know what I am talking about - so if I can get past this and see the larger picture with the beauty and scope of Tolkien's legendarium, I am sure, Pullman's books can be seen in just as broad a perspective.

I love the books. I shall see the movie and decide - since movies are often a let-down when they are not adapted in the right context. So I shall write again when I see the first part.
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 02:07
It's really nice to read these posts when folks have different opinions but are able to discuss things without anyone getting all bent out of shape....

I too am looking forward to seeing the movie. I've not read the books though. I think one of my nieces bought it for me for Christmas so I can't buy it now....I have to be surprised...

Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 02:39
The movie is coming out friday here, so I'm going to see it then. About the controvertsy going on, I agree with Erumelmo. I have read the books, and the theme of Nature and Choice are a lot more present than a "kill God" theme. At the end Lyra and Will have to make a choice and they make the right one and save everything, so I think the story is overall positive even if it is somewhat bitter.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 04:20
Thanks, Linwe, though I am sure it's not a controversy, just a difference of opinion. And I am sure everyone would agree when I say that the scope of a book that creates different opinions, is truly one that is grand. Because if everyone agreed the material would have no depth to it.

As for the books being 'bitter' - so true - but then to depict life in any form, real or fantastical, to give it a tinge of genuineness, bitterness has to be brought in. That is the sad part.

Another thing I forgot to mention about Pullman's books: he seens things in shades of grey. One of the hallmarks of a good writer. There is no character or situation that can be classified as completely black or white - everyone has shades of grey. To a certain extent that is why I love The Subtle Knife so much. The first book is more dark, the last one more light, the one in the middle - ah! lovely hues!
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 06:11
It's true, though the third book has it strong moments too. Like the part where Lyria and Will have to cross the river to the land of the dead and their Daemons behind. That scene tore me apart!:cry:
And the concept that everyone has their own death beside them... in death, that could maybe be the equivalent of the Daemon in life, which is interesting.
Erumelmo
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2007 10:30
Oh, yes! You are absolutely right, Linwe, the scene in the 3rd when Lyra has to leave Pan back is absolutely brilliant. That was terrible for me to read as well! And of course, now in retrospect that I think about it, it is exactly when Lyra does something because she has to - and she has to move away from part of her own self for the vow she made to Roger...very deftly written - but it is imbued with so many layers of meaning!! Thanks for bringing that scene to my attention.

And the concept you write of: death being within - truly interesting.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 18, 2007 10:25
Everything I've read about the production of the movie (including an interview with Nicole Kidman, a Catholic) has indicated that they intended all along to tone down some aspects of the books to appeal to a wider audience. I think that's disappointing because frankly I'm for actual representation of a book on the screen, even if it can be upsetting to some, but I suppose they make these decisions for monetary reasons. So personally I don't think there has been any misrepresentation about the movie. Most of the people I talk to who are upset about the movies have not read the books. Kind of reminds me of Harry Potter. I think if you read the books and then watch the movie you'll see that it has been heavily edited.

That having been said, I was disappointed by this movie. The CG and scenery look very fakey to me. It disappoints me the same way The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe did. Also, the movie was too short and there was too little time for character development. The daemons just came off as wisecracking sidekicks to me, not the conscience/soul apsect that was emphasized in the book. Plus, why end the movie before the ending point of the book?
So I can't really give it a very favorable review. I hate to keep holding movies like TLTW&TW and TGC up to LOTR, but since they love to market these movies as comparisions, I have to say they miss the mark. They aren't as magical, the character development isn't as good, and the special effects and make-up need work.
Here's hoping if there is a sequel (and I agree, The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass are very good books!), it will be better.
Sambart
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 05:07
I got a mouse called Klitus...I really want a pet mouse now LOL

They toned the movie down because of religious beliefs?

I do that every movie I see now I compare it with LOTR and when I saw TGC last night I walked out and went "Bad soundtrack, really annoying graphics and how CGI'd were those men towards the end! Acting was okay. It's 2007! Not 1998 (once again) the graphics should be better than LOTR! LOTR was 4years ago! OMG! And New Line have embrassed themselves with the graphics"

As you can tell the graphics in TGC really annoyed me.
I cried twice at TGC LOL
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 20, 2007 07:44
I think movies like TGC and TLTW&TW just go to show how much work PJ put into making sure LoTR looked really good, and maybe others just think it's easy now to spin off look-alike movies(?)
Sambart
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 23, 2007 08:27
When are the going to film the next movie?
Astalder
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 26, 2007 04:37
do you guys know what Pullman's life goal is? it's to keep God away from children. obviously this guy is trouble. I mean, the story is about these kids that go on this long journey and KILL God! that's pretty bad people!!!

suffice to say, I do not recommend these movies or books to anyone. I just needed to express my opinion because we've been discussing it for weeks at my school.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 27, 2007 03:37
When are the going to film the next movie?

Does it depend on how the first movie does? I don't think it did as well as they hoped it would. The reviews in this area weren't too good (including my own personal one).

I can't speak for what Pullman's "life goal" is, since I don't know him. Like with the Harry Potter series, I give him (and kids who read) some credit. JK Rowling wasn't looking to "convert" people, I doubt Pullman is either. There's a lot of science fiction/fantasy out there that I consider far more controversial. His is pretty tame in comparison.
nightfairy
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2007 12:44
Well, having my niece over for her holidays always gets me into movies I wouldn't have paid attention to otherwise, and so I got to see TGC today.
I liked it. I haven't read the books, frankly said I hadn't even heard of them before, so I can't say how well it was made in comparison to the book, but I definitely liked it, like the idea of the whole thing and the spirit of it.
I know it will gain me antipathy...but that's how it is. I like to see people defending the right to a free will.

hugs
Care76
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 28, 2007 07:04
I was pretty disappointed in the movie. I liked the book, even though I liked TSK better. Without spoiling too much, quite a bit was changed or left out all together. There wasn't really anything controversial mentioned IMO. Wow, I am stunned, I had high hopes. I liked Eragon better than TGC.

On a side note, my daemon is a crow named Albus (awwwwww... my very own Dumbledore!).
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 29, 2007 03:53
I was probably a bit harsh in my review, but you know how it is...you like a book, then the movie doesn't often have the same sort of magical quality. I have so much trouble convincing my students that the book is in many cases much better than the movie (here I'm talking about books in general, not this particular one)....they often look at me very skeptically *sigh*
But tell people not to read something, and they'll often go out and read it.
frodofan14
CoE Volunteer & Realm Head of Manwë Súlimo
Send Message
on: December 30, 2007 07:13
my daemon is a chimpanzee named Rasthmus. i saw the movie and it was really bad. im 1/2 way through the book and i dont like it much.

i took the quiz again and im a moth named Alvin

[Edited on 1/1/2008 by frodofan14]
Legsi
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2008 07:17
As for me - the film is pretty nice. I've just read all three books and most of all I like "The Amber Spyglass". But I totally don't like the idea of killing God. After watching the movie many children would like to read the book and what will they see? That God is a tyrant. In my opinion that will destroy their belief in God and partly hope.
LadyCeleborn
Palantir Mod, Guardian of Ulmo's Realm & Resident Eomer Fancier
Send Message
on: January 07, 2008 09:27
I liked the book very much but did not like the movie as well. My daughter and niece saw the movie with me and they have not read the box. Both of them commented that they had no idea what was going on in the movie and lost interest in it half way through.

Had cool visual effects though...

The books and movie need to be taken for what they are...entertainment. A journey through a very cool imagination.
Elana
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2008 09:17
Yeah, imagination... the problem is that one is secretely influenced by what he reads or watches. I really liked the first book (and the movie wasn't that bad, though, except for all those changes) and thought "wow, a great idea and an awesome way of writing", so I read on. I have to admit I started to dislike the series after book two and was completely annoyed after book three. There were so many great ideas in them, but the way God was portrayed as a terrible tyrant and that he obviously liked to see people suffer in the world of the dead overshadowed everything. For me, imagination reaches a limit when it shows God in such a way. I'm sure they will make those books into movies, too, but I'm also sure that I'm not going to watch them. Sad to say this after I liked "The Golden Compass" that much...
silivra
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: February 15, 2008 05:30
Yeah Elana I know what you mean
LOTR_obsessed_loony
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2008 11:12
Aaaaagh!!! They cut off the end of the film!!! There were at least three chapters after that point in the book!!!
Whoa. I really am nuts...
Anyway, I wish I knew exactly who made the decision to cut out the ending, so I could find them and yell at them.
"...Though thereafter we may walk in the shadows, I will not go forth as a thief in the night." – Boromir, FotR, The Ring Goes South Image Image Image Image Image
CaptainAragorn
Council Member
Send Message
The book is amazing, the movie is horrible. Enough said.
I'm a doctor, not a bricklayer!
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email