Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
arwen1300
Gosling of Vána
Send Message
Post RE: Any vegetarians?
on: April 04, 2010 08:50
Pastatarian sounds much nicer than calling ourselves vegetarians!
Image If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. -Thorin
Loslote
Mother Goose of Vána & CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: November 01, 2010 09:30
Heeey...yeah, I figured I should probably post here. I've been vegetarian for about five months now. It started out just because I'm really, really squeamish and meat disgusted me, but after I did my health unit focusing on the health aspects of vegetarianism, I use those as my reasons, too.

I don't really worry about what nutrients I get. I eat a really healthy diet - lots of whole vegetables, fruits, beans, lentils, whole grains, nuts, and very little dairy or eggs. I've actually never been healthier.
~~Tinuviel~~
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2010 11:29
I'm a vegetarian. I've been veggie my whole life, and still am so for health reasons as well as animal rights reason, and more recently also for the health of the planet.
nedra
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2010 10:44
I'm a vegetarian too ^^ and also a chef. In my summer job these past 4 years I've been cooking vegetarian food. I'm a vegetarian for many reasons and one of them is that I don't like meat, simply. >.<
ElwingAndEarendil
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 08, 2010 02:58
Well, you could call me a vegitarien, cause im such a picky eater that the only meat i will eat is chicken strips...
"The Deeds that we shall do shall be the matter of song..." - Haunting the Realm of Vaire as the Corrupted Major - Find me as Silmarilz1701 everywhere else
Arwen_Evenstar3597
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2011 06:20
I've been a vegetarian since March 2010; I just decided I wanted to try it out one day.
~Hae ephadron/Theri thaur/Am na dhû/Las fîr I ambar/A trehil i ‘alad 'lân uir tri 'wilith...~
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2011 07:17
*raises hand* I've been a vegetarian for about two months, I am not an animal rights activist and I hate the taste of meat. I also have a question. I've been told that a pescetarian is a person who doesn't eat red/white meat like beef/turkey, but eats seafood like fish and such. But I don't eat fish. I eat shrimp, scallops, squid, eel, clams, and all the other things that come from the sea except fish. So am I a vegetarian or a pescetarian? Oh, and I will break down and have a cheeseburger at Burger King when we go, but that's the only time I eat meat. Maybe part-time vegetarian would be a better description?
Huin
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 31, 2011 11:22
Star of Dunedain, some people lightheartedly use the term "flexitarian" if they eat meat only periodically.

I'm basically vegetarian, but I'll eat things that contain meat byproducts without any qualms, as the byproducts aren't what the animals are raised and killed for. So, I tend to more accurately infor people: "I don't eat meat."
Image ImageRealm of Vairë, Corrupted faction
vardas_daughter
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2011 04:21
Here! =D I have been vegetarian since before high school... I'm now in college ^_^
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2011 12:09
Anyone know what to replace the usual holiday ham with? I thought I would just pass on it but my mom wants to know what I'll have instead, I guess one ham for just the two of them would be too much since I won't eat it.
I was trying to find something under indian and mediterreanean recipes but all I'm finding is desserts when I search for holidays.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
starofdunedain im Indian (FTW) if you want indian holiday food(hmmmm...) i would suggest parathas with mango pickle and fat free dairy farm yoghurt. OR with carrot pickle and cottage cheese. I can PM the recipie. PM if ur interested

[Edited on 05/20/2013 by PSK]

[Edited on 05/20/2013 by PSK]
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I've been a veggie all my life, because I was brought up that way.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Canalaure
Council Member
Send Message
I've grew up vegetarian most of my adolescent/adult life, too. Not strictly - I grew up not eating meat, so as an adult, I just don't think to buy it. I'd love to learn some good recipes...
There are certain fictional characters' deaths you will never recover from. Ever. One more miracle, Sherlock. One more miracle for me.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
I had a recipe thread in The Prancing Pony a while back.
cellosmaug
Council Member
Send Message
yup *high five*
Flying Elf
Council Member
Send Message
I'm vegan and have been for about a year, due to the animal suffering and I went off the taste of meat for about 5 months before going vegan.

I need to learn to cook more, went to a Thai family's Xmas party and the food, oh! Delicious!
Home is behind, the world ahead...
WindsBlowNorthInRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
Vegan here! Veg for two years
Eamanarian
Council Member
Send Message
I am vegan, been that way for almost a year trying to feel sick less often. It worked, so I stayed vegan
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
Part of the benefits of being vegan and veggie is the necessary avoidance of processed stuff and the return to natural, real wholesome food. I'm only a veggie 'cos I don't like meat but it has made me more aware of the stuff that goes into engineered products. There's a bowl of happy bread dough that's been festering away for four hours and I'm going to slam it into a tin, let it rise a bit then bake it. Mmmmm. Proper bread.
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
Hello! Another veggie dropping by
I'd love to try making my own bread. Bet it smells divine!
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
PopcornFluffles
Council Member
Send Message
I've been a vegetarian for a little more than a year, but I stopped eating meat other than seafood about two years ago. After a while I stopped eating fish as well, and I have yet to cheat. My decision was mostly about animal rights and stuff. Plus red meat always made me feel sick anyway.
tarcolan
Send Message
I was the same Popcorn, never really liked meat. I used to drive my mum crazy. I gave up when I was 20 and haven't looked back. Besides any health benefits, meat production is really bad for the environment.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Part-time. More in the sense that unlike some "carnivores" (they need meat or derivative from it every day) I go by what I guess will taste better. In the office location I was at up to 2008, that turned out to be veggie stuff quite often. Here, the "carnivores" seem to be in a large majority, so the taste trade-off is more difficult. Today it was pork loins with vegetables and a Swiss potato specialty ("Rösti" or "Berner Rösti" ), which was decidedly tasty. Our two canteens here are on a par with good restaurants anyway (not Michelin Star restaurants, but sometimes close!).

[Edited on 08/20/2014 by Gandolorin]
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Another benefit is that you avoid all of the fat that is often present in meat. I know that people say protein is an issue, but I find that there are easy alternatives. I also eat quite a lot of soya and quorn. Has anyone got heard of any new interesting veggie brands?
"Tears unnumbered ye shall shed; and the Valar will fence Valinor against you, and shut you out, so that not even the echo of your lamentation shall pass over the mountains." ~ The Doom of Mandos
tarcolan
Send Message
No, but I make a mean vindaloo with those TVP lumps.
PSK
Council Member
Send Message
Hahaha! My cooking speciality is desserts. Apart from that my limit is putting things in the oven!
-Suliel-
Council Member
Send Message
I'm a vegetarian, and have been that all my life. I have tasted meat though...
Be kind and feel your heart smile ♥
Hobbits2Isengard
Council Member
Send Message
I've been vegetarian for almost three years now, I started because of the animal rights situation. I wouldn't have become vegetarian if the animals were at least decently treated (I loved bacon) but I don't want to support the mass meat production industry.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email