Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
Post Love's Long Journey - see OOC
on: January 18, 2008 12:37
OOC - Okay guys, I'm new to Roleplaying, so bear with me. This story is simi-scripted, so please see OOC before posting (and I'll have to pre-approve charecters, ). Also, I want this to be a fun, clean RP, so follow the rules and the Mod's lead. Their the experts and they know best.
The beginning is told in narrarator form (I have permission to use EstelwenJesusFreak's charecter Findoilas in the first post, then she will take over), but I will be playing the charecter Claurwen.
On with the story!

Come close, children, and I'll tell you a story from long ago. It involves mystery, dangers and the true meaning of love.
It all started when Findoilas, the neice of Lord Elrond of Rivendell, was told she would be marrying a total stranger.
She was told he was handsome and generous, yet she didn't want to give up her freedom and her heart. Why couldn't Arwen marry the elven man? It was her father that wanted the alliance, after all.
But Findoilas's Father was stubborn, she would marry for her Lord and country and race, it was expected from her. She should be glad give up her dreams.
That night, when everyone else was feasting or reading or thinking, Findoilas packed her bags and saddled her horse, setting out of Rivendell, hoping for a better future.
She figured she'd visit her kin in Lothlorien and maybe stay a little while. Just enough to prove she was right, then she'd come home. Her father would give in, sooner or later.
She would wait in Lothlorien for the summons, then she would return.
So she set out alone, unprepared for all that she would face in the near future.

Claurwen sighed as she dug through her sack. What? No food left? She grumbled as she looked around. "No one said this adventuring stuff would be so hard! No one told me what I'd have to go through to find my family. That is, if they're to be found." She complained to no one in perticular.
Sniffing some wild berries she thought she heard the sound of leaves being walked on. She turned around, it was only a squirrell. If only she had any arrows left...
Sitting down cross-legged near the firewood she'd gathered, she studdied her map. She was sure she was somewhere near Rivendell, but where? She'd traveled so long it felt like she would never get anywhere!
She turned the map over, then back again. How was one sapposed to hold this confounded thing, anyways? Anyway she turned it it still looked the same!
"Well, it does me no good sitting here in the dark of night, starring at a map I can't read, thinking on a empty stomach. I might was well build a fire and get some rest."
Claurwen jumped when she herd someone say, "Mind if I join you?" Standing and looking around she sighed as the wind rushed through the trees again.
"Woah, I am getting so jumpy lately!"
"Yes, you are." A female voice said.
Only then did Claurwen turn fully around. She saw the loveliest elven girl ever! Her light blonde hair cascaded down her back, and her blue eyes drew you to them immediately. She was wearing the clothes of a princess, at least Claurwen thought so!
"I am Findoilas, might I join you for the evening?"
"Of course, my lady!" Claurwen curtzied, at least her adopted family had taught her that! She wondered what the elven lady would say next...
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Love's Long Journey - see OOC
on: January 20, 2008 08:53
Alagos wandered down the many trails surrounding RIvendell. Most were hidden, concealed from evil or prying eyes. But he knew the paths, he knew the secrets that the valley kept. The sun beamed down on his fair face and warmed his heart. It was a beautiful day. Perfect for walking under the eves of the trees.

Alagos stretched, his slender arms nearly brushing the leaves above his head. Alagos, smiled, enjoying everything that made up this day. The elf walked on, he had no specific path, though he followed them as they wound through the trees and clearings. His golden hair shone in the light and his green eyes sparkled merrily.

Alagos carried with him only a simple sack. In it he had his most prized possessions. A flute of white clay, a small book of poetry that he had carried with him since he was but a child, a little wood carving of a running horse, and a matching set of rings on a chain.

Alagos now took out the flute, bringing it to his lips and playing a sweet melody. Bright and cheerful just like the day. He did not even notice the women nearby. He just continued on playing.
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2008 10:39
Tansy pattered along in almost complete silence, keeping her remarks about the surrounding greenery to herself. The sun, the single watchful offerer of warmth, was hard pressed to touch the hobbit girl's dark tresses with its fading light, as a result of the dense folliage. In fact, all about her things seemed to have a green tint, and she took the arbitrary fact philosophically. It probably was fortelling great personal growth in this particular wood, she speculated. Or perhaps not, but either way, such words would be well added to a story, and so she tucked them away in her memory.

A growl from her stomach suddenly reminded her she hadn't eaten since afternooon tea, and was not likely to unless she quested for victules herself. She picked up a leaf and studied it for a moment, then put it down again and picked up another, which she put into her apron pocket without hesitation. Dandelion sprouts made a lovely base green for a salad, and she was fairly certain the inner layer of the bark on the trees would be equally toothsome. And, if a fresh water source could be found, maybe she could even brew a bit of the tea she had brought along.

Reflecting upon the time, Tansy hastened her efforts. She did not wish to be caught in a strange wood without a fire after dark. Suddenly, she looked up. Voices had pricked her keen hobbit ears, and Curiousity peeped out from its hidey-hole deep within the recesses of her mind... or perhaps not so deep. With a tad more care, she advanced in the direction of the sound to see who her fellow-travelers might be.
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2008 11:16
Claurwen looked up. "Is that a flute I hear?" She quickly hid under a bush, not worrying about her elvish companion.
'She'll have to take care of herself...'
Findoilas jumped up but stood rooted to the spot. The music was bewitching her tender elvish ears.
Claurwen groaned and mumbled to herself, jumping out from under the brush. Quickly drawing her sword she held it clumsely in front of her. It was to late to do anything about it, least of all run. Claurwen groaned, wishing she had used the sword before.
"Have you any expereince with that thing?" Findoilas asked, looking down on the clumsy half elven girl.
"Sure... lots of times. Before... In my past... I mean..."
"You mean no."
Suddenly, a curly headed halfling burst through the last layer of brush.
Claurwen turned the sword quickly towards the halfling in bewildered surprize.
The flute-player stopped and looked at Claurwen, amused.
Claurwen turned the sword between the two intruders, then dropped it because of its weight.
Quickly Findoilas picked it up. "Keep back!"
"Yeah, do as she says!"
Findoilas looked over at Claurwen, annoyed. That gave the hobbit girl and the elf all the time they needed.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 20, 2008 11:53
Human, that's what they had called her. Well, that's what she was, but did that have to be the reason for not using her talents, her skills? Oh they were nice about it, but Anelthia could hear the understatements, she knew the real reason why they would not give her a job.

Anelthia had just left Lord Elrond's home, she had been seeking some kind of occupation for herself. After spending most of her life in Lothlorien the girl needed to leave and make something of herself. But now, unfortunately, she had to find something new. Many elves usually never warmed up to her. She was a human living an elf's life a rather unusual occurrence. Few have told her to simply go and live with the humans again, but Anelthia wouldn't know the first thing about being a human, especially the culture. She was use to the sometimes harsh treatment, her parents had constantly warned her that she would not be accepted by everyone. It wasn't all bad though, she had a couple of friends who stayed by her side. But most were just well, uncomfortable with her... and, much to some people's surprise, she kind of understood their feelings, but that didn't mean it didn't hurt her own.

With a sigh, Anelthia swallowed her tears before they fell and continued to walk down the beaten path. It was back to Lothlorien for her ... well at least her parents would be happy to see her.

((Anelthia's somewhat further away from everyone, so she'll come upon the group just a tad bit later, hope that's all right))
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 11:15
In a completely impulsive action, Tansy took two steps and tackled the sword weilder at the legs. The first big person knocked into the second, and both went sprawling as Tansy rolled to get clear of the mess of arms and legs, and somewhere in the midst the sword. She came out almost unharmed but for a bit of a knock she had taken from something boney-- elbow, knee, skull, or otherwise. Fleeing the situation did not even come to mind, and the hobbit girl doubled small, dimpled hands into fists.

Ludicrously, Tansy bounced on the balls of her feet, lowering her center of gravity like she had seen the boys do. She punched the air experimentally, then drew her fists back close to her body for blocking. Slightly fearful of the odds against her, but not to be dissuaded in her resolve, she waited for the pair to regain their feet.

"Come on then, let's have it," she growled, outwardly bold as you may please. In her experience, there were two options when you were out numbered; run, or bluff. Both were absurd, but then, so was she.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 12:27
Alagos was content to sit on a branch and play his sweet melodies when a disturbance reached his ears and disrupted his song. He lowered the flute after a moment, who would want to disturb such a fine morning?

Two women had burst through the trees. Alagos starred at them amused, his lips curling into a faint smile. He slipped his flute into his sack quietly.

Quickly Findoilas picked it up. "Keep back!"
"Yeah, do as she says!"

Alagos rose to his feet, extending his arms out slightly. "Ladies...you need not wave that thing about. As you can see I am unarmed." He approached them despite their warning to keep back, still wearing his smile. He wasn't completely unarmed, but he did not want to alarm the women.

He was surprised to see the halfling there. Rarely had he seen them outside of the Shire. He wondered what she was doing there. But he kept quiet about that. Silently he waited to see the reactions of the women. He was now within only a few feet of them, the sword's tip only an inch from his chest.
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 12:40
After the hobbit girl had bowled Claurwen over she jumped up and grabbed the sword, holding out towards the music-making elf.
"Don't come any closer!" She said, althought not intirely sure what she would do if he moved forward.
"Oh, stop this childish non-sence. I've had enough!" Findoilas said, strugling up. Her hair, which before hand was perfectly neat, was full of leaves and tangles. Her dress had a slight tear in it and she was holding her elbow where she'd hit it on something.
Claurwen sighed, but kept the sword raised at the elf. "No more bewitching music, elf. Tell us who you are and what you're doing here."
"Come on then, let's have it!" the hobbit lass said, her fists guarding her cute, round face.
"What are you doing, who are you and what *are* you doing?" Claurwen asked, turning the sword to the little gal.
Suddenly the forrest didn't seem like the quiet, calm place it had been when Claurwen first arrived. She wasn't sure she liked it. Halflings that used you for bowling pins, elves that play music that freezes you... Suddenly Claurwen wanted to go home.
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 02:06
Anelthia yawned as she ambled down the road, her one hand hanging on to her bag's strap on her shoulder, while the other covered her mouth then moved to scratch her head, careful of the two blue ribbons in her curly hair. Throughout her sauntering she had heard odd noises up ahead and wondered what they could be. Ever cautious she hid herself amongst the trees as she continued to move forward.

Peeking around a large trunk, Anelthia saw a rather unusual sight. Three elves and a hobbit seemed to be in some kind of stand off with each other. The hobbit, fists up and ready for action, looked quite out of place, though apparently knew how to take care of herself. The male elf was grinning though a sword was pointed his way, and the one who held the weapon looked rather unsure of what to do. And the maiden close to her just looked hopping mad.

As this human-elf took the scene in, she determined what her next step would be. Popping out and greeting the group might not be such a capitol idea at the moment. But neither of the parties looked like they wanted to harm each other, except maybe the hobbit.

For the moment the young girl was content to remain hidden in her tree's shadows, just simply watching to see what the outcome may be. Unfortunately for her, in the moment of silence between the group, she sneezed.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 02:31
Alagos looked at the woman who had spoken in the eyes. What did she want him to say? Why was she so frightened of him? He was harmless! Bewitching music? He ha djust been playing to celebrate the beautiful day! Why did it feel like there was a cloud hanging over the sun now?

"No more bewitching music, elf. Tell us who you are and what you're doing here."

Alagos looked at the woman, exasperation showing plainly on his beautiful features. "The stranger should declare themselves first. I am no stranger to this place. I live nearby, in Rivendell. I need not explain my purpose for coming here. You, on the other hand, do."

His voice was as hard as steel as he spoke to the woman. He did not take kindly to being treated so rudely. Alagos lowered his hands and sighed, his anger dissapaiting as quickly as it had arisen.

"Will you please put that sword down!!!" He requested, while his tone was light hearted his hand had gone to his long knife concealed in his belt. He didn't think that he would need it, obviously these women had no idea as to what they were doing, but he was not going to take any chances.

Suddenly he heard a sneeze coming from the bushes. Before he had even thought about it he had drawn the knife and taken up a defensive stance. This was going nowhere fast!

[Edited on 22/1/2008 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 02:50
In the following silence, Tansy slowly lowered her hands and brushed her skirt off. Apparently no one considered her a threat, and therefore she would be ignored. Worse things could happen. Almost timidly she cleared her throat. "Beg pardon, but if we're all going to just stand about like this, does anyone have vittles? It seems we've meat cleavers enough--" and here she indicated the swords and knife "--to open our own butcher's shop. The sharpened points ought to be put to some good use, and I'm sure I could catch a squirrel or rabbit if someone else could skin it."

She shuffled her bare feet in the moist earth beneath her, then took the initiative and began putting to use the firewood Claurwen had so thoughtfully collected. She was hungry enough to start nibbling at her own fingers, and it seemed the big people were just about a whole lot of foolishness that was entirely unnecessary. Whatever their quarrel, she was sure it would pass quickly with food and warmth.

Inspecting the contents of her pockets, she discovered that the beginning of her salad was not too badly damaged, and her tinder and flint were still with her after the scuffle. Maybe someone even had bread that could be shared... she hadn't had a good piece of bread since she left the Shire.

((I think we're all in different times. As I understood it, the first post suggested it was evening or drawing near evening, and that's where I am. Minstral, you seem to be somewhere in the early afternoon, and I've no idea what's up with LadyPunk.))
LadyPunk
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 04:41
((Sorry if I caused confusion, my character has just come upon the group, when I posted she was further away from everyone, but not miles and miles, sorry if I didn't make that clear. Though it is night Anel was walking on, not yet ready to settle down. She had heard the commotion of the fight and slipped further into the trees then came up on the side of the four, hiding behind a large tree. She was just going to watch for awhile, then she sneezed alerting everyone to her location.))

Anelthia tensed slightly as the elf's knife was suddenly thrusted her way. Slowly she came out of her hiding spot, putting on a weak smile. Swallowing she looked at the knife holding elf and squeaked.

"I .. I mean no harm sir, forgive my spying," she then turned to the whole group, "Just being a cautious traveler..."

Suddenly seeing the hobbit girl trying to prepare some food Anelthia said quickly.

"The hobbit speaks rightly .. uh ..I have some uh ... dried fruit and maybe ..." she suddenly began digging through her bag pulling random things out as she did.

She wondered if any of the elves recognized her, quite a few knew who she was especailly those from Lothlorien. If not, that would be most agreeable with her.

As she finally pulled out her desired package, she suggested to the group.

"Perhaps we could put weapons away and instead have something to eat as the Lady Hobbit has said. It grows late and I'm sure we are all somewhat hungry .."

Anelthia watched the faces before her as she spoke hoping they would agree and not turn their swords against one another again.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 04:46
OOC: ha ha ha! I guess I don't practice what I preach. Shall we make it the late afternoon?

IC: Alagos looked at the Halfling startled by her reaction. but she did have a point. He lowered his knife. He was sorry now for scaring the newcommer. He sighed inwardly, His entire body completely easing, although his mind stayed sharp, he didn't want to let his guard down in case of trouble. But he did ease off, remembering that he was near Rivendell, a place where he need not worry, for it was a place of peace and of healing. Alagos felt ashamed at letting his temper get the better of him.

He looked to the Halfling, sliding the knife away in its sheath, then moving to help her. He noticed her looking at the food in her pocket. Alagos hadn't brought any food, he had planned to return to Rivendell before nightfall. He had a feeling that it would take a little longer now.

The newcommer offered some dried fruit, Alagos retreated a little into the background feeling suddenly very shy, and abashed. He had drawn his wepon on a group of women (although far from defensless) and he had not had the decency to offer his name. Well, it was to late for that now. There was an awkward feeling about this whole meeting that he didn't like at all. He hoped that it would fade.

[Edited on 22/1/2008 by minstral_of_the_dawn]
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 05:05
OOC: Early afternoon it is. Also, I'm changing my post in the OOC.

IC: As soon as the male elf seathed his small blade Claurwen dropped the heavy sword.
"Well, what took ya'll so long to agree to get along?" Claurwen said, dropping down next to the male elf, grinning.
"You're the one who started the whole thing." Findoilas said, her face returning to it's normal peaceful appearence.
Claurwen shrugged, then said, "I'm Claurwen, though most call me Claury. I'm also fresh out of vittles, but I'll skin the rabbit or what ever the halfling catches."
She looked ruefully at the meager pile of dandilion leaves, what the hobbit girl seemed so proud of. "Are you sure that's edible?"
"I'm sure it'll taste great!" Claurwen said after thinking about how rude she must have sounded. After all, they were being nice sharing with her. "Anyways, what are you all doing out here?"
She remembered Arglos's comment about strangers and quickly added, "I'm searching for the remainder of my kin. They vanished with out me one night long ago when I was a baby. The people who found me told me of my past, what they knew, at least, and I chose to go find my remaining kin."
Claurwen looked down at her hands, rough from the wilderness and the long journey she'd made. "All I know is that my mother could sing like an angel and my father made wooden toys for me to play with. That's all I can remember. I don't even know what race they were, just that they loved me."
In the akward silence that followed, Claurwen bit her lip, inwardly cursing herself for being so open with total strangers. What would they think of her now?

[Edited on 22/1/2008 by eyowen_the_queen]
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 05:51
Alagos fell silent a Claurwen's words, "I'm sorry to hear that." He said after she had spoken of her family.

"I am Alagos." he said, humbled for reasons he could not explain.

"As for what I'm doing here I just came out for a walk. It is certainly a beautiful day, so I thought to take some time to myself and perhaps play some 'bewitching' music." Alagos couldn't help but add this in a little.

Alagos grinned, letting the smile blossom accross his fair face. His golden hair was catching the sun's warm rays, and his green eyes sparkled with merryment.

OOC: sorry for the short post.
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2008 06:56
Tansy wrinkled her nose at Claurwen. "If you've been traveling in the wilderness for so long and still have not discovered the marvel of dandelion greens, I pity you. 'The Halfling' has some culinary sense you know." She stood from her squatting position, wiping her hands on her skirt. Taking a sling from her pocket, she wandered off into the greenery.

She was back within a few minutes, looking decidedly sour. Apparently the majority of small game in the vicinity had been frightened away by the snit that had taken place moments before. Tansy had not, however, come away empty handed, and the rest of her salad was gathered in her apron. When given a questioning look, she shrugged. "It's not particularly filling, but it's all edible. I found mushrooms, too, and wild carrots."

Carefully, she removed the apron from around her waist, and spread it out as a bountiful table cloth on the ground. Satisfied with her work, she promptly sat down and took a handful of what she had prepared, munching away contentedly. Mayhap the tall ones would produce something useful later on, but for the moment she could not see what it would be.

((Bleh, sorry she's not very interactive. Always thinking about her stomach. She'll talk if you engage her in conversation. *coughhackwheeze* Okay, I'd best skitter off to bed before I fall over of illness/exhaustion...))
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: January 22, 2008 10:03
Hate to interrupt but just a reminder that this is a Tolkien site, where even in RPG's we must adhere to the basic concepts of his works. Such things as 'arranged marriages' never occurred between the elves. And alliance with whom?? Other than Galadriel and Celeborn, Lord Elrond was already the leading elven Lord.

Findoilas, the neice of Lord Elrond of Rivendell, was told she would be marrying a total stranger.
She was told he was handsome and generous, yet she didn't want to give up her freedom and her heart. Why couldn't Arwen marry the elven man? It was her father that wanted the alliance, after all.
But Findoilas's Father was stubborn, she would marry for her Lord and country and race, it was expected from her. She should be glad give up her dreams.

Before this tale becomes completely NON-Tolkien, may we advise all of you, especially the newbies to this forum, to check out the rules and guidelines at the top of each forum.

Some of the rules and guidelines you definitely should read are:
THIS ONE
THIS ONE
AND THIS ONE

I'll give you all an opportunity to read this (say a few days) and then I will delete it so as not to interrupt the flow of your story.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 22, 2008 04:18
OOC - Sorry everything isn't totally Tolkien or even close to his world. It's the best I could come up with. If I need to change something, I will. This is a 'what if this happened' kinda-story. Also, I'm leaving tonight but will check in AsAp, ya'll keep going.

IC - Claurwen smiled at the halfling. "I'm sure it will be great. Thank you."
Silently she nibbled a bit of the salad, starring around at the scenery. She could understand how Arglos wanted to take a walk. The evening shadows were lengthening and the trees gave a homey look.
She turned to the male elf. "I didn't mean that your music was bewitching, it was so lovely I couldn't help but stop and listen. I'm sorry if I offended you. How can you play soemthing so beautiful on something so...."
She wasn't sure of the word to describe his instrument. It was lovely, but rather... small to make such wonderful music.
After eating a few bites she asked, "So where is everyone going? I wasn't expecting to meet very many people here." She turned to the hobbit lass. "And what type of person are you, exactly? No offence, it's just I never met anyone quite like you. I mean, your so small but so very tough..."
Claurwen shut her mouth before she got in anymore trouble, often she let her mouth get away with her, and she didn't want to offend anyone, especially the one who just fed her.
She desided not to say anything else until someone asked her something. She'd sit quietly, no matter how hard it'd be, until it was a proper time to talk.
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 27, 2008 09:28
((OOC: Sort of waiting on the rest of you... I know eyowen is gone for a bit, but there's no reason we can't keep this going. There was a brief discussion in the OOC thread about what to do with the plot, which I recomend you blokes take a look at. Meanwhile, we're not really using the plot, we're all discussing our char motivations for being where we are. I think the only one who had a problem with that is Findoilas, and she's not really in it yet...))

Tansy smiled, amused. "I'm Tansy, one of the Shire. What you'd call a halfling, or hobbit. And if you'll excuse me for saying so, I could just as well call myself average and you big, instead of the other way round."

Glancing around at her other companions, Tansy found herself wondering where each was from and why they were here. Two Elves, this one that looked like an Elf-- and yet something was not quite right, and a human. Mostly women, too. That was odd. Women didn't usually travel, or not alone at any rate. At this thought she had to giggle-- she was a bit of an oddity herself. She knew her folk did not often travel further than Bree.

"Does anyone else intend to partake in this meal?" Tansy asked, half hoping they'd say no. She was hungry, and could easily finish it off herself. A mere salad was no true afternoon tea. She longed for one of her auntie's gargantuan spreads, covering the long table in their dining room, hardly leaving space for one's place setting. At this time of day she'd have shortbread, and jam with which to slather it. There'd be a variety of cookies and biscuits, as well as little sandwhiches, and some of the lighter cheeses the family enjoyed.

As if on cue, Tansy's stomach made a noise suggsting it was severely displeased with its emptiness, and the hobbit girl blushed slightly.
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2008 04:28
Claurwen smiled at the hobbit.
"Tansy. What a lovely name. Very... hobbit-ish."
Claurwen grinned, looking at the food the hobbit had gathered. "I'd love to try some of your salad. By the way, where exactly is Shire? You see, I'm afraid I've spent a very sheltered life. I would rather stay at home and make lovely things with a needle than use a sword and have many great adventures. Right now I'm working on embroidering a set of tea towels. Would you like to see?"
Without waiting for an answer she quickly opened her sack and pulled out a bundle of clothe.
They were white with flowers embroidered around the edges. Claurwen blushed. "It's what I do to pass the time when I'm alone. I left a bunch of things at home... I mean, where I used to live. I plan on going back for them someday. What do you all think?"
Claurwen fell into a comfortable silence, fingering her delicate handwork. She wondered what the other's thought of her work. She hoped they liked it, and she hoped she wasn't left alone again. She liked their company, especially the 'adverage sized' hobbit.
minstral_of_the_dawn
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 23, 2008 06:56
"I didn't mean that your music was bewitching, it was so lovely I couldn't help but stop and listen. I'm sorry if I offended you. How can you play soemthing so beautiful on something so...."

Alagos smiled at the comment, "I thank you, my lady. I am sorry that I was so curt. Unfortunetly I am not blessed with the sweetest of dispositions. But I am pleased that you did enjoy the flute. It is small, but one can not judge anything by its size. I have heard of many wonders done by things much smaller, and much more inconsiquential then this instrument."

Alagos felt very awkward all of a sudden. This was quite odd for him, but he felt very exposed for some reason. He cleared his mind as best as he could without letting the oddest expression cross his fair features.

"So where is everyone going? I wasn't expecting to meet very many people here."

"I am from Rivendell over yonder, my lady. I have no one destination at the moment, but it is such a fine day that I could not bear to be kept from wandering as far as my feet could carry me." He found himself to smile again, and after a moment fell silent. Though he felt no anger or any such unwelcome feelings.

As he listened to the conversations taking place around him he realised what it was that made him feel so awkward. He had no trouble with women on an induvidual basis, nor in a small gathering. But here there were many. And not a moment ago a fight had nearly broken out amongst them all. Indeed, he felt the fool. Though the exact reason for this could never be known by him. Alagos was not shy by nature, but he had never grown to enjoy the company of a larger group, women or no women. Perhaps-he thought-this was what had caused him such discomfort.

He looked at Claurwen's gentle needlework. It was indeed very fine, but he could not find the words, he felt very out of place, but he knew that he would have to make peace with this odd group-should it be proclaimed that.

"It is very fine work." He commented to Claurwen, "I have no great understanding of the finer arts, but from what I see, you do have such a grasp."

He still felt out of sorts, but now not so much. He smiled at the halfling, Tansy, pleased. He would not ask to partake in her meal, he was not hungry as it was.
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 01, 2008 09:23
Tansy's eyes widened slightly as she beheld the delicate stitching before her. Only hobbit families of means ever owned things like these. Tansy remembered seeing fine linens only once, when invited to tea at Mrs. Sackville-Baggins' home. It had been a slightly painful visit for Tansy, as she recalled, having to sit perfectly still and practice her manners, dressed from neck to ankle in ruffles.

"They're beautiful. I've never had the patience to learn needlework," confessed Tansy, smiling. It had been long since her aunt had asked her to sew anything, knowing her history of setting down the cloth and thread to wander the hills on a sunny day.

Finishing the remainder of her meal in a few mouthfuls, Tansy rose. "Well, I suppose so long as there are a few hours of daylight left I'd best continue on." She hesitated after making this statement, almost feeling rude to take her leave so quickly. It wasn't as if she had an appointment to keep, and yet the further she traveled in a day, the better.
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 03, 2008 05:25
Claurwen looked at the hobbit. Did she offend her?
"Oh no, please don't go! At least, don't go with out me! If there's time left of daylight, then I should keep going, as well. Maybe we could travel together! I have no particular destination, might as well follow someone! Besides, I have a map - it's old but it still works well."
She quickly packed her bag in a swift, almost graceful, movement. She wondered what was going through the 'average sized' hobbit's head.
She tried to sound convincing. "I can hunt and help you and carry anything heavy, and... and be company. I'm sure hobbits enjoy company, don't they? No one likes being alone, and there is safety in numbers."
She jumped to her feet, grasping her bag, ready to leave. She liked the hobbit, and felt in her a kindred spirit. Maybe this hobbit girl could help her find her family.

OOC (She seems rather clingy in this post. Maybe it had something to do with loosing her family. I don't know I guess we'll see what happens. Thanks, everyone.)
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 15, 2008 08:05
Tansy hesitated, a flicker of a shadow passing over her face as she thought. There were of course advantages in traveling with a companion, indeed, she had set out with three. But a comrade you were not familiar with was a wild card-- you could never be sure what he or she would do, especially in a pinch. Loyalty was hard enough to come by in those closest to you, let alone a stranger. And, of course, there was the disadvantage of appearing young and naive, as someone any passerby might care to con, and this elf before her was no different from the rest that she could see.

But then, Tansy had never heard of an elf intent on doing harm. Still, even persons convinced they were doing their best could be horribly erroneous in word and deed. The chances of such a fellow-traveler working out were slim. However, it was unwise to provoke a more powerful being than herself in outright rejection. It wasn't as if she could stop Claurwen following her in any instance, and Tansy prefer to keep an eye on any that expressed an interest in her, a feminine Half-ling.

"Of course, hobbits like company," Tansy replied almost instantly, laughing. "You may join me if you wish. Although, I am afraid I may not provide very interesting conversation. Except for the first bit of my journey, I've led a rather dull life. But come! we will take our leave."

Bobbing a curl-laden head to the rest of the Big People, Tansy struck off in the general direction she had been traveling in. Westward, ever westward. She half-smiled at the thought. That would make a smashing poem, or even a song...
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2008 11:41
Claurwen saw a flicker of shadow, doubt maybe, flash across the Hobbit's face. Of course, no one wanted to travel with strangers alone anywhere, no matter what you were. Claurwen blushed. "Oh, that's okay, I'd better go on to Rivendell. I'm almost there anyways, so it's no problem. May you travel with all luck and speed, with the favor of the Valar."
After speaking to the Hobbit, Claurwen turned towards the others. "Thank you all for a pleasant evening, may you all travel with the favor of the Valar."
With that she picked up her sack and started in the general direction of Rivendell, a pout playing on her lips. She turned and with one last wave melted into the forest.
She did not have to travel far before the Rivendell guards found her. She told them who she was and hoped they believed her. Appearently they did, for they showed her to their camp site. When the kitchen lads came to bring them their supper she could go on to Rivendell, they told her.
Claurwen flopped rather un-gracefully to the ground, and with a greatful sigh began her needlework.
tookishgirl
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2008 05:23
Tansy was both disappointed and relieved at the way things had worked out. At least she hadn't been the one to say no. An hour later, however, she was slightly irritated she hadn't at least asked to see Claurwen's map. She was fairly certain she had been going in the right direction, but in a wood one has to take a meandering path to avoid obstacles, and so she wondered if she were very far from where she wanted to be. She had finally come to the conclusion that she was going to have to climb something to get her bearings, when she thought she saw a shadow shift ever so slightly.

Ears pricked, keen eyes roving the wood, Tansy searched for signs ought was amiss. The birds twittered on, so apparently they either did not see what she did, or had decided it was of no threat to them. Regardless, as far as the hobbit girl knew, nothing good ever moved shadows or came from them. Edging away from where she had last taken note of the thing, she looked for any advantage she might gain. There was precious little high ground, and it would be no help to be run up a tree.

It was at that moment a figure materialized from behind a tree. Tansy did not stop to consider who it might be nor why they would be skulking about. She simply acted as a startled rabbit and took off running. A moment later she crashed head on into another figure much taller than she. It grabbed her arm firmly but without menance, and as she made an attempt to fight it she checked herself.

"Stay yourself, little maiden," the figure directed not unkindly, and she looked up into the face of a dark haired elf. He was armed, but not immediately threatening, and Tansy took a moment to be indignant.
"Release me. Is it a crime to travel?"
Her captor ignored her, calling back to his friend in elvish. His friend answered and melted back into the surrounding wood. Tansy resumed her half hearted attempt to break free of his hold, but was unsuccessful, and without any further explanation he began guiding her firmly through the trees.

Still jogging lightly, Fëanáro Oronar entered the camp, passing Claurwen on his way to the captain of the guard. "Elwë, we've found the wandering half-ling. Galdor is bringing her back to camp."

Elwë raised his eyebrows. "It is a wonder to me she is this far from home."

((Bear with me, lol, I'm not sure what you'd call an elf "captain" or how his subordinates would address him...))
eyowen_the_queen
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 03, 2008 04:37
Claurwen couldn't help but over-hearing Fëanáro Oronar talking to the Captian of the guard. She jumped to her feet and rushed over to them.
"I do hope I'm not being overly bold or disobeying any rules or anything, but was the half-ling named Tansy?"
Fëanáro Oronar looked slightly amused at the flushed elf's questions. "You know this half-ling?"
"We met on the way here, but I asumed she was traveling in the opposite direction. I had no idea she'd follow me! Please do not harm her. She is quite spunky, but would never cause harm or grief, I'm certain!"
Elwë, his eyebrows still raised, asked, "You are certain? How long have you known this half-ling who has caused such a disturbence among the forrest?"
Claurwen dropped her head, surely he would think her a silly fool for being so trusting. "I... I just met her this day, in time for a early supper. She was quite friendly and I am usually a wonderful judge of charecter." Her voice fell away as she heard Fëanáro laugh.
Elwë grinned as the hobbit came into view. "Fine. I release her into your charge."
Claurwen's smile fell as she looked at the half-ling. How was she supposed to care for a hobbit? Especially this free-roaming one? It would be like trying to contain a bird. 'It would have been so much easier to keep my mouth shut.' Claurwen thought to herself.
She aproached the hobbit. "Hello again, Tansy." Claurwen felt slightly out of place - how did half-lings greet each other? - but continued. "The captain of the guard has placed you in my care. I guess fate intended us to travel together." She tried to lighten the mood and her sadness that hung over her like a cloud with a laugh, but it sounded feeble and forced. "Shall we travel onwards to Rivendell or to the great unknown?" Her own voice sounded hollow in her ears.
Claurwen felt crushed. What if she had to spend the rest of her life - or however long hobbits lived - babysitting this fiesty half-ling?
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email