Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
Post Chapter XV, Nienor in Brethil
on: February 04, 2008 04:36
Can anything good happen for Hurin's children.

This chapter has to be one of the most tragic ever written

On the grave of the Elven princess who loved him but was killed by the orcs when he delayed following her. Turin finds a beautiful amnesiac woman, lying naked . He falls in love, woos, and marries her, during a rare short period of time when his world is at peace.
He finally finds some happiness , except for this one little detail... it's his sister!!!

Can anything be more tragic?

1)Why do Turin and Nienor each find the other so irresistable?

2)Why does Brandir advise Niniel against marrying Turambur?

moonletters
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Chapter XV, Nienor in Brethil
on: February 12, 2008 06:10
(I'm not sure of the procedure for posting in the book club, so if I'm treading on any toes, please let me know!)

1)Why do Turin and Nienor each find the other so irresistible?

Many siblings share a deep emotional connection. However, since Turin and Nienor never actually met, one might assume that on a much deeper level they still felt the attraction of sibling love, but confused it with romantic love. One might also conclude on Turin's behalf that his love for his mother and his yearning for his people, as well as his loneliness as an outsider caused him to be drawn to Nienor in a way that he was not drawn to the other women of Brethil. Nienor would have looked like Morwen, reminding him of his mother and would also have had the mannerisms of Hurin's people. Nienor's amnesia and her own loneliness would have spoken to Turin as it must have spoken to Nienor, who must have thought that she was looking at a handsome and heroic mate, indeed.

Obviously Brandir's budding love for Niniel caused him to speak up against her union, but something else was at work in his heart as well. Perhaps he could feel the cloud of fate and doom that seemed to follow Turambur, especially after he found out his true name and origins. He may also have been jealous of the man who was slowly turning his people against him, and wished to have something, anything for himself, even if it was only denying him the only woman he seemed to have ever taken a real interest within their community.
Dolwen
Store Admin & Head Weaver of Vairë
Send Message
on: February 19, 2008 04:23
1)Why do Turin and Nienor each find the other so irresistible?
I agree with moonletters. I think Nienor was attracted to him because she recognized something familiar in him. Even though she couldn't remember her past and her family it was still buried deep in her.

As stated above, because he was in love with her. But I also think that he was genuinely concerned with her safety and happiness. He knew about Turin and that it would likely end badly. He was trying to save her from misery.
Rhysenn
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2008 12:14
1. For Nienor's part, i think that when she first saw him, a part of her knew that she had found what she had been looking for, so she felt happy with him. However, her conscious mind didn't realize this, so in the end she confused it with love. Also at one point someone mentions Hurin, (i think it was brandir?) and a part of her recognizes the name but he mistakes the expression on her face for a different kind of concern.

2. Brandir advised Niniel to wait not just because of his love, but i think he could sense some sort of doom about the situation.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email