Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Lady_Tiriel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Fainting...
on: June 29, 2008 09:07
Soooooo...Have you ever fainted? Passed out? Lost consiousness? Whatever you wish to call it? This sudden interest springs from the fact that in Mass, just today, I myself happened to faint. (Too much incense, I suppose... )It was rather...interesting. Quite like it's described in books. For some reason, I feel a certain pride to join the ranks of those who have also lost consciousness... :rolling :disco: So, anyone else? What were the circumstances?? Feel free to elaborate.

[Edited on 29/6/2008 by Lady_Tiriel]
awelyn418
Prancing Pony Moderator, Realm Head of Lórien & Grandmother who loves Tolkien
Send Message
Post RE: Fainting...
on: July 13, 2008 06:08
When I was 18 I cut my thumb and it was the sight of the cut and the blood that caused me to faint. When I came to with my boyfriend gently slapping my face I said what are you doing. He said you fainted and I said this is not an old movie you know you don't slap people to wake them up you know. That was the only time I have fainted. I have come close when I was pregnant when I get a shot I have to look away or I have almost fainted.
Eletúrë
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 06, 2008 10:20
I have fainted twice times. When I sliced my foot open (I passed out right in my boyfriends arms and he spent our xmas date sitting at my bedside waiting for me to wake up), and again when I played skirmish. That was no fun.
Elfalas
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 22, 2008 08:07
I almost fainted in World Lit. last year. We were reading about foot binding and this article went into great, great detail. I had to leave the classroom and walking down the hallway I nearly fainted. It wasn't very fun, but I made it to the bathroom without losing consciousness. XD

I did faint when I cracked my head open on the deck when I was five. I came to in the car screaming as Mom drove down the road to the hospital, perhaps not the best idea in the world on my part...:rolleyes: To this day I still don't remember any of that, I just remember waking up that one time, then I went out again and didn't come to until I was on the table having staples put in my head...DX then nothing else.
ElfmaidenofLorien
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 17, 2009 12:15
I've fainted once before, but have had a few close calls. When I get really hot in the summer, I'm really prone to fainting if I'm not continually finding ways to cool myself off or taking a drink.
Anyway the first time I ever fainted was during an Irish Dance class. It was such an odd feeling. I didn't know what was happening, and then I just fainted. I think my mom caught me because when I woke up I was leaning against her. everyone in the class room was totally panicking and my teacher asked my mom if she should call 911...but it wasn't necessary, I just had to leave the class early. I was fine after that.

One time I blacked out for a few seconds when I sprained my ankle really bad, and that was also weird. Fainting is so strange, really.

But that's about it. xD
'Not even the gods above can separate the two of us, no nothing can come between you and I.'
HaldirofLorien13
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2009 02:32
No matter what I tell myself, I always faint during shots. I get them a lot, too. I just can't stand a needle being stuck into my arm. It terrifies me! I hate it! It's a really strange experience. It's like being sucked into a black hole, only you survive.
Caden
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 22, 2011 01:16
Yep. I fainted coming down the stairs twice actually. Scared my family, but once I regained consciousness.
The first time, I was really sick and was coming downstairs from my room and the second time I was sliding down the banister and fell face first, smashing my face; broken nose, double blacked eyes, split lip, ect. I knocked myself out, that was how hard I hit. I laid there for a good three minutes before getting up. From the other room, my Dad called, 'did someone fall?' but no one came to investigate (thanks guys!). But I was alright, but people thought I'd gotten into a fight or something.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I once was standing in my bathroom, as you do, when I suddenly found myself on the ground, with my mum standing over me... but as I am the only one who remembers it I may have made it up and then believed it to be real. And I almost fainted when I got an injection.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
The only time I lose consciousness is when I go to sleep, or the time I had a surgery.

Llama, llama, duck!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have fainted 3 times in my life. The first time was on a bus, luckily I was standing near the driver and he caught me. The second time I was at a friend's house leaning against the wall. They told me I just slid down the wall and crumpled to the floor. Third time I was in the snack line at a flea market and knew it was going to happen. There is like a ringing in my ears. I told my friend I was going to faint and sure enough, I did. Thankfully I never got hurt. I have not fainted in probably 15 years so maybe it won't happen again.
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
HuldahMaria
Council Member
Send Message
I fainted once in a health class when they showed a video that had pictures of actual cuts/gashes which I had never seen anything so bad before. I started feeling sick when I saw those pictures and then my teacher started talking about eye injuries, and I am VERY squeemish about eye related things and that just pushed me over the endge and the next thing I knew I was on the floor. Mostly I think it was because I was unprepared for it.
And I will live to carry Your compassion, to love a world that's broken, to be Your hands and feet, and I will give with the life that I've been given, and go beyond religion to see the world be changed by the power of Your name. ~Lincoln Brewster
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 24, 2013 06:05
HaldirofLorien13 said:No matter what I tell myself, I always faint during shots. I get them a lot, too. I just can't stand a needle being stuck into my arm. It terrifies me! I hate it! It's a really strange experience. It's like being sucked into a black hole, only you survive.

my mom is the same way! i don't faint and i am not sure if i ever have. but i won't say i never will!
RodwenAravilui5136
Council Member
Send Message
I've never fainted, but I have a fear of it. I feel like I get really close to it when I get over stressed or work my body too much. You know, like when they make you run a mile on a black-tar track in the beating sun without a water bottle. UG!
"While you're doing fine, there's some people and I, who have a really tough time getting through this life so excuse us while we sing to the sky." -Twenty One Pilots
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
I never fainted but I saw a girl faint during my chemistry exam. I was sitting in my desk in the gym, when suddenly I heard a loud thump. To my surprise, i turned around to see a girl lying face down on the gym floor. Me being me, my first instinct was to laugh, but I didn't know how serious the situation was, so i didnt
"A sprinter learning to wait."
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
I haven't fainted but I've lost my sight a couple times due to overheating.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I almost blacked out before due to heat related causes, as well. Iw nas out of school for three days because my mom was afraid to put me in cause schools are so hot.
Anyways, I went out for a few seconds before when my mom had a seizure on a hiking trip. Long story, but I had to run up a mountain to et help, and I remember looking at the sun and getting really dizzy, but thankfully, I dodn;t pass out. I don;t remember anything that happened immedietly after that, but my dad told me later that I found some people to help and the man who was there had to help me walk because I was stumbling around. I was only eight years old at the time, so that happened nearly eight years ago. So, I have had some close calls. Im going to be donating blood in a few months, so if I pass out in the gym then, I know where I can tell my story
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I very almost fainted once. Someone was telling me and a group of other people about how they had got some injuries, when their friend stepped on an improvised land mine, and what happened after that. We had also been doing really hard exercise before, and it was really hot in there... anyway, at first I just couldn't hear anything, then everything turned black. I started swaying and found it really hard to stay on my feet. I couldn't speak, so I reached out for my friend next to me and she helped me sit down. But really I think what did it for me wasn't the thought of the injuries, but of having to deal with them for the rest of your life.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Almost, once in college. I was unable to see, and barely made it back to bed. When I finally made it to the hospital, I had 104 F fever, and, as it turned out, pneumonia. Out for a week.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Update, update, update!

The last time I was at the dentist, I felt some frightning dentistry tool touch my cheek and I was out. Apparantly the hygenist or whoever turned around and I had slumped sideways. I woke up to my dad shaking my foot (Thanks for the help, Dad) and him asking me if I was OK.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
~nólemë~
Fan Creations Admin & Creations Forum Moderator
Send Message
Yup, once. Probably aftershock from falling hard onto ice about 30 minutes prior to that.
Good thread, quite informative as to possible triggers.
---------- Image "If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world." J.R.R. Tolkien - The Hobbit
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
I have no memory of fainting. I'm hardy...sorta...I guess...
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I almost blacked out again today because I went...guess where!?
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
I almost fainted twice, but I believe it was either from lose of blood or heat related. The first time was a few days after I had a surgery. I had just taken a bath (and was rather humid and hot in the bathroom from the water and stuff), and I was just getting dressed when I found my vision going dark and I started falling sideways. Thankfully I caught myself before I fell down and hit my head on the tiles, but I was struggling to get my breathing under control (needless to say, it scared me). And the second time was just after I had taken a shower, and pretty much the same thing happened as the first time. Yep, no fun. But seeing blood and getting shots doesn't bother me. I actually have to go get a shot every 2 weeks, so I guess that's a good thing.

[Edited on 05/05/2014 by Mellwen_Bronwewen]
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Do you need allergy shots, Mell?

I got sick once from heat relatied sickness because Im not used to the heat. But I have, thankfully, never passed out from it, unless I was little and don't remember. Like I said above, I almost did though.
EthelynnGreenleaf
Council Member
Send Message
The closest I've ever come to passing out was after I had to get blood drawn. They had me fast before hand, so I had no energy in me at all. It was a terrible feeling, I almost wish I had passed out x)
"A sprinter learning to wait."
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Then don;t ever donate blood! From waht Sam told me and from your blood drawing experiences I am reconsidering.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Having blood drawn for tests is different than donating. You do not have to fast for donating. I donated for the first time several months ago and thought it to be an interesting experience, one I will repeat. My veins were found to be thin so a supervisor had to put in the needle and I kinda liked watching my blood flow through the tube. (research for my vampire role play girl)
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
BelleBayard
Prancing Pony Moderator & Elf Laundry Mistress
Send Message
What a lot of people don't realize is that you don't fast for a long time when you have blood drawn to check your sugar. Eat a normal meal the night before and get your blood drawn first thing in the morning. You can drink all the water you want, just not solid food. You can also have what's called a "vaso vagal" reaction - the body just sort of shuts down when a needle goes in the vein. When you donate blood they encourage to eat well and drink PLENTY, before AND after you give. Some people cannot watch the phlebotimist but the needle in the vein. I have always been odd, watching myself be sutured when I was five and sliced my inner elbow on a carpet tack (not doing as my mother asked and running down the hall - fell and slide my arm along the side of the carpet). Watching them draw my blood has never been a problem either. I was always fascinated with what they did. The only time I've come close to passing out was after having chest pain from severely elevated blood pressure. They put me on so many meds, when I bent over or stood up, the world wanted to shut down on me. Needless to say, the adjusted my regimen and now I'm fine. Being dehydrated will do that to you! Eeek!
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
My veins were checked for donating blood, and they were found to be very small. The girl said that if I were to donate, I would blow a vein which would cause a huge bruise up and down the length of my arm, which would remain there for a month or more while the vein healed.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Ah, a blown vein! That term was never said by my girl. She told me over and over how sorry she was and that I was going to have one heck of a bruise. Just like you described, Maxie, my bruise was up and down my whole arm for a month. I had a blown vein! Still, it did not hurt, and the experience, for me, is one I will repeat.

findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I am not sure if I would risk that now that it is almost summer, but perhaps when the weather gets cooler again I will donate so I can wear a sweater over it. Thank you, Lindarielwen!
Mellwen_Bronwewen
Council Member
Send Message
@Maxie, yeah, the shots I get are allergy shots.
“That there’s some good in this world, Mr. Frodo… and it’s worth fighting for.” – Sam “Even the smallest person can change the course of the future.” – Galadriel
Ar-Firiel
Council Member
Send Message
I once fainted in singing class. I was doing warm-ups, and then my vision went all fuzzy, and then I fainted. My singing teacher gave me some water and had me sit down. Once I felt better, I practiced my song (Caro Mio Ben) and then went home. I still hadn't completely recovered, but I lay down and then felt better. Then my father told my family, and then my older sister and brother wanted to hear the recording. I let them hear it -- then I deleted it. They still don't know.
In the past year, I sometimes get slightly squeamish looking at blood. I don't know why, because it never used to happen. But about a year ago, I cut myself and had to sit down for a while. Then again when I cut myself a few months ago, the same happened. Luckily I was at home the second time so I just took a nap to escape the pain (my pocket knife closed on my finger).

[Edited on 08/20/2014 by Ar-Firiel]
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email