Register

Author Topic:
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: GUYS!!??
on: August 15, 2012 03:54
Quote from Caden, March 24, 2011
LOTR movies are definately female-oriented, lol.
What in the world! HOW DARE YOU!!!! They are WAY more guy oriented, if anything! But i have no objection to girls liking them as well, since its so much fun to hang out with GP and everyone else on the site.
LinweSingollo
Movies & Casting Mod, Resident Hobbit & Frodo's Footstool
Send Message
on: August 15, 2012 05:34
LOL. I didn't see the films oriented one way or the other, just towards people who crave heroism, beauty, self-sacrifice, loyal friendship, a thumping good story, etc. It's interesting how people like to pigeon-hole.
"To the Hobbits. May they outlast the Sarumans and see spring again in the trees." J.R.R. Tolkien
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2012 04:16
^^ indeed. Well said, my friend. I have a "Foxtrot" comic book called "Orlando Bloom has Ruined Everything" and it's basically the difference between the fanboys and fangirls going to see RotK and their reasons for going. (along with some other stuff) It's really funny.

And LegolasXXXXX, you guys really are an endangered species lol. I've never met any nerd-guys in person

(oh, btw I'm a girl )
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 16, 2012 05:22
Edangered species? It's too bad that are not a lot of guys on here. In fact there are so few guys on here that I automatically identify users as girls before proven otherwise. Unfortunately not many guys (exlcuding the ones on this website) show their support(?) of Lotr.

P.S. I am a guy

P.P.S. I only know two guys that like Lotr. One is on this site.
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 26, 2012 06:41
Here's a link with some of the FoxTrot comics GP mentioned btw http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/FoxTrot
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2012 01:32
Quote from GotPrecious on August 16, 2012, 14:16
^^ indeed. Well said, my friend. I have a "Foxtrot" comic book called "Orlando Bloom has Ruined Everything" and it's basically the difference between the fanboys and fangirls going to see RotK and their reasons for going. (along with some other stuff) It's really funny.

And LegolasXXXXX, you guys really are an endangered species lol. I've never met any nerd-guys in person

(oh, btw I'm a girl )

No really? LoL, yeah gp, wait, are you calling me a nerd? xD
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
LegolasXXXXX
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 30, 2012 01:33
Quote from Beren_Onehand on August 16, 2012, 15:22
Edangered species? It's too bad that are not a lot of guys on here. In fact there are so few guys on here that I automatically identify users as girls before proven otherwise. Unfortunately not many guys (exlcuding the ones on this website) show their support(?) of Lotr.

P.S. I am a guy

I'm that one, right? lol
Lindarielwen, I hope that wherever you are it is incredible and filled with all the things that you love. Looking forward to our next meeting.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2012 02:13
Actually that's me We go 2 the same church lol
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2012 11:17
Quote from LegolasXXXXX on August 30, 2012, 11:32

No really? LoL, yeah gp, wait, are you calling me a nerd? xD

*cough* maybe. *whistles*

Beren and Leo, you go to the same church? That's awesome
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 07, 2012 02:12
Yeah i know right?
Hurion
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2012 09:45
I'm a dude/guy.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2012 09:27
Quote from LegolasXXXXX on August 30, 2012, 11:33
Quote from Beren_Onehand on August 16, 2012, 15:22

P.S. I am a guy

I'm that one, right? lol

Well as Leo said he was the one I was thinking of but now I know three guys (it's more like two though because the other one doesn't really like Lotr like me and Leo) and two of them are on this site!
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Frostbite
Council Member
Send Message
If it counts for anything, I'm a guy. And tbh, never thought that many girls read Tolkien, not because of some assumption, but because I met only one.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Very interesting. If I read it right, in 2012 guys were underrepresented on CoE (or so it was thought). CoE was founded by Rivka after the LotR films (first film?) hit the theaters (in 2001?). At that point, FotR was 47 years old. I have no idea how the male / female ratio of readers was up to 1966 (when the paperback edition(s) finally came out). Nor how that ratio was when the numbers exploded due to the (mostly) college crowd in the US after 1966 (and no idea whatsoever in the by now 48 years since then). If CoE is skewed to fans first having experienced LotR in the movies, then a preponderance of young girls freaking out at Legolas (eye candy) sounds very familiar - there were these four guys from Liverpool in the early 1960s, too.

I only discovered the books about 30 years after book one was published (1984), which is by now also 30 years ago. Have a go at the Games Forum, I'm there almost daily.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email