Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Aragorn16Estel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Teens - how old were you when you became obsessed with LOTR?
on: April 28, 2010 10:26
11 when I first saw Fotr on tv from then on I was hooked.
10 or under
21% (1)
23% (2)
23% (2)
12% (1)
9% (8)
5% (4)
3% (3)
2% (2)
0% (0)
1% (1)
The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. - Psalm 23
SongofRivendell
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2010 08:19
I started watching FOTR when I was seven or eight, and since then I have regarded LOTR as the greatest fantasy that was ever written/filmed. The part that I always dove behind the couch for was the part where Bilbo freaks out. :cry:
Strangely enough, I was fine with Moria, the Orcses, and the Nazgul. What a odd child I was.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2010 01:48
haha, I would watch the Hobbit Movie on repeat when I was 6,7 or so... and eventually, my parents got sick of it. So my dad went out and got me the book. I was hooked.

After I read that, my dad mentioned that there were more books like that, and I was like "*gasp* really?! can I have them? now?"

and that was that.
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
eowynofgallifrey
Council Member
Send Message
I was shown the movies when I was eight and I liked them, and then I kinda went thought my 'cool hipster' phase until I was 13 and then I joined a lot of fandoms and got tumblr. I went to see Desolation of Smaug and I was like 'a new ship for me to ship!' My sister was already reading Fellowship so I stole it from her and that was that.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think I was 10 or 11 when I read the books, and 12 when I first saw the movies.
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Cenor
Council Member
Send Message
I read the Hobbit shortly before the movie came out. So this is how I became obsessed with LOTR:
I didn't want to watch the movies until I was at least 30
I listened to the music on Pandora (a radio app)
I fell in love with the music and wanted to watch the movies.
A family rule prevented me from watching the movies until I read the books
I'm so glad I obeyed
I read the books
I watched the movies
I became addicted
This happened in the course of three months
Image "Every good pirate has an alias" Felix glanced down, looking at contraption around the stump of his wrist. "Hook," he answered. "My name will be Hook."
Middle Earth
Council Member
Send Message
I read the Hobbit when I was nine, and didn't really like it, but then a year later when I read the Lord of the Rings, I loved it!. So then I read the Sil and HoME and since then I haven't stopped loving Tolkien's work. And of course Peter Jacksons films, which I watched soon after I read LOTR for the third time.
We have only to decide what to do with the time that is given us...
Jedi Knight Elrohir Sparrow
Council Member
Send Message
I watched The Hobbit when I was 13. I hated it. Then I watched it twice more and I began to like it. Then I was like, 'What do you mean, there's more?' That's when I watched Lord of the Rings and became the nerd I am today.
"A time may come soon, when none will return. Then there will be need of valour without renown, for none shall remember the deeds that are done in the last defence of your homes. Yet the deeds will not be less valiant because they are unpraised." --Aragorn, Return of the King, pg. 767
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
I'm going to take a hobbit point of view and complain that the human-centric limitation of this thread is inappropriate on a JRRT site. Hobbits came of age at 33, and as I have pointed out dozens of times (very much including real life), JRRT may have been on to something ... Image

I was 27, and thus a tween, when I first saw Ralph Bakshi's half-cartoon film version (ending at the Battle of Helm's Deep) and then read a German translation of LotR. Image
elven_fencer
Council Member
Send Message
I was about nine when my dad read The Hobbit to my brother and me. He mentioned at the time something about JRRT writing something called The Lord of the Rings, a sequel, but we would have to wait until we were older before we could read that. I loved The Hobbit at the time, and I could hardly wait until I was "old enough" to read the sequel. When I was 12, he came up to me and said, "Why don't you try Lord of the Rings?" I was so excited! I picked them up at the library the first chance I got, and it was love from the first page. I have been hooked ever since.
ImageImage
OneSizeFitsAll
Council Member
Send Message
I think I was 11 when my big brother read me the first chapter of The Hobbit. My interest was immediately peaked, and I read the rest of the book myself. I didn't like it as much as I was expecting, but I wanted to find out more, so I read LOTR. While I found it a rather boring read, Tolkien kept me until Gollum fell into Mount Doom. I immediately made up my mind that I hated LOTR, The Hobbit, and Tolkien in general.

It wasn't until I was 14 that my brother (who loves Tolkein) talked me into watching the movie of Lotr. Though I was initially creeped out by the fact that all the guys had really long hair, and one or two of them I mistook for girls, by the time the first movie was over (and I had met Boromir and are Pippin) I was in love. I immediately read Lotr and Hobbit over again, and a short time later read Silmarillion.

While I still don't like The Hobbit (book or movie), I now have a decent appreciation for Lotr the book, love Lotr the movie, and Silmarillion is my favourite book short of the Bible.
Image"The Corrupteds are going to wake up and find that they are strong." -Cenor
Person_with_a_cool_name
Council Member
Send Message
My father showed me a few scenes now and than, but I saw the films first with around 11 or 12. Than I thought "why not read the books?" And found of course plenty of things that were not in the films. And after that, I found many excuses for looking or reading this again the whole day: I got one movie finally in extended edition (but looked all XD ), my friend didn't know them, I saw the Hobbit and had to look it all in a row and so on... That is why I don't really know when I was totally in love with ME, it started as one movie...
~Cool_Name~
IdhrenTelcontar
Council Member
Send Message
I watched Lord of the Rings for the first time with my mother when I was 12, within a year I had also read the books, the Silmarillion and was completely obsessed.
I remember getting funny looks from adults when I brought the Silmarillion around with me to read.
And reading it in the waiting room of the dentist, and when I was confused about a paragraph with a gazillion names and family trees instead of skipping it I had to pull out a notebook and draw a complicated family tree.
May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks
IdhrenTelcontar
Council Member
Send Message
I watched Lord of the Rings for the first time with my mother when I was 12, within a year I had also read the books, the Silmarillion and was completely obsessed.
I remember getting funny looks from adults when I brought the Silmarillion around with me to read.
And reading it in the waiting room of the dentist, and when I was confused about a paragraph with a gazillion names and family trees instead of skipping it I had to pull out a notebook and draw a complicated family tree.
May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I watched a little of FotR several years ago, but I was directed to look away for most of it, and I was so young even if I had been looking I probably still wouldn't have understood anything. My older siblings used to play LotR, and we had a "hobbit hole" (okay, so it was a bramble bush) and I heard bits and pieces of the story once in awhile. All in all, I was just confused and had a vague impression of some dude named Frodo doing something with a ring. But when I was 11, I finally got to watch the movies. I loved them. When I joined this site, it had been awhile since I'd seen the trilogy, and I am appalled to recall how I said in my introduction post "I'm not all that into LotR". (Foolish child! Take it back, I say! Wait, I'm talking to myself...as usual...) Anyway, I am very happy to say that I have since been reformed, and I am in love with LotR all over again. I finally finished reading the trilogy this year, after many a failed attempt. I really don't know why it took so long for me to read them. But in spite of that, I did love them. I have plans to read The Silmarillion, but am at present a bit distracted by rereading The Hound of the Baskervilles.

And wow, IdhrenTelcontar, that's awesome! That's a fabulous idea. Maybe I'll steal it if I get stuck in the Sil.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email