Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
TheOrangeblossom
Council Member
Send Message
Post Which Edition of LotR in English is the best?
on: January 07, 2010 12:45
I truly need some advice! As a birthday gift I have got money to buy LotR in English. As I live in Sweden, I can not find some English editions to look in myself. I have looked at the net for over a year, but I can't make up my mind. And often you don't get enough information about the different editions. What I look for is a really high quality edition with good maps, and beautiful illustrations. Preferably in three different books! I would be most grateful for all help I can get.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Which Edition of LotR in English is the best?
on: January 07, 2010 02:13
The only time you get illustrations is with the large three-in-one editions. Preferably the one illustrated by Alan Lee. That said, there are many single hardcovers that have a beautiful fold out map in the back. Softcovers don't have high map quality in my opinion. So as long as you get all three as hardcover books (or just get one big one) you should have a good map in the back.
leggal
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2010 08:34
Three in one is not only huge, but entirely convenient in my opinion. You only have to keep track of one book instead of three! Plus most of them come with some very helpful info in the back. The one I have has simple illustrations enough to boost your imagination; not to mention maps and little summaries of the characters' doings. I say go with the three in one!
Morwinyoniel
Gallery Admin & Realm Head of Estë
Send Message
on: January 09, 2010 08:01
If you want one with illustrations and maps, go for the one illustrated by Alan Lee (from 1991, I think, at least that's when my single volume edition has been published). My personal favourite and "working copy" is the 50th Anniversary edition (2004), though.
Chocolatequeen
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 09, 2010 10:16
The only time you get illustrations is with the large three-in-one editions. Preferably the one illustrated by Alan Lee. That said, there are many single hardcovers that have a beautiful fold out map in the back. Softcovers don't have high map quality in my opinion. So as long as you get all three as hardcover books (or just get one big one) you should have a good map in the back.

This is not entirely correct. You can get the Alan Lee illustrated edition in three separate volumes. I know, because I own it. I chose it over the one volume edition because for me, the ease of carrying and reading the book trumps the convenience of always having the entire book at my finger tips. Also, I work in a library and I'm very aware that the bigger the book, the more likely it is to fall apart quickly simply because of the weight of the pages pulling on the spine.

Anyway, back to the original question--obviously, I'm going to recommend the Alan Lee illustrated edition. The pictures are absolutely gorgeous, done with an eye for color and attention to the descriptions Tolkien gives in the text. However, I actually bought it for a different reason. The paper is a lovely crisp white and the typeset is nicely spaced--it's easy on the eyes to read. The only thing I don't absolutely love about it is the glossiness of the paper. It reflects light pretty easily, so sometimes I have to tilt it just right to avoid the glare.

Oh! I should also mention that it is quite heavy. The books themselves are 26.2 x 20.3 x 10.9 cm, so they're actually a little larger than some hard backs.

All right, I'm going to post this before I ramble any more. I hope what I've said helps.
TheOrangeblossom
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 12, 2010 06:03
Thanks a lot for your help! If I could I would buy several different editions, well you never know, maybe I will do that occasionally!

Right now, it sounds as the "Alan Lee" edition wins!

Much obliged!

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email