Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
dylanhobbit
Council Member
Send Message
Post The Lord of the Rings is not mere fiction, I believe
on: January 20, 2010 11:23
I am a suicide survivor who has been on a pilgrimage of sorts for the last few years. I first read the lord of the rings in 2001, before my suicide, and it has always been the only thing in the world that made any sense. Aragorn has appeared to me many times, both in times of distress and harmony. He comforts me and it is to him that I pray now.

Any problem I've ever faced has been solved with the help of Tolkien's work. All these years it has been the only thing I could count on. So, naturally, I have reached a realization that this is no mere book. I have come to the conclusion that these characters were real, they lived and died, sacrificed and loved for real.

I have no idea if Tolkien knew what he was writing was fact, he probably didn't. And I have no idea if Middle-earth is another planet, dimension, or even time, but I do know it happened.

I believe in the wizard who gave up his life for his friends. I believe in the servant who carried his master up the mountain of fire. I believe in the tree who watches over the innocent, and the noble man who gave his life for them. I believe an elf and dwarf can be friends and of the king who will make the white tree bloom. And I believe that gardens are more important than fortresses.

The Ring is not a literal ring but a ring of words- lies and hate and propaganda that has had hold over us for a long time. And I believe it will be destroyed by a ring bearer who will reveal himself.

I am currently going through all three books page by page translating the words of Tolkien into proverbs and prophecies. A couple of examples-

β€œ And gifts shall be given readily and without thought of oneself.” (page 26)

β€œAnd babbling will sign the departure of one who has born the ring and survived it.” (page 30)

I know there are like minded people out there who are hesitant to accept that hobbits and elves are not mere fantasy. If some one out there believes in Middle-earth, I mean really believes that these things happened contact me at,

[email protected]

Aralyn Ketchum

[Edited on 20/1/2010 by dylanhobbit]
LadyBeruthiel
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Lord of the Rings is not mere fiction, I believe
on: January 20, 2010 04:10
Dear dylanhobbit,

I think you have tapped into the same source that draws me back to LOTR again and again--Tolkien's deep spiritual understanding. Like you, I always find some gem of wisdom each time I reread (In fact, I started a Words of Wisdom thread a while back. It's around here somewhere. I'd love for you to contribute.) The stories are so inspiring, and so true to the aspirations of the human heart.

Unlike you, however, I don't believe the stories and characters are real in any literal or historical sense. They don't need to be. They are embodiments of Higher Truths that have been expressed in many different languages. What Tolkien was trying to do was create a mythology for the modern age, one that would speak those truths to those who could no longer hear them over all the rage and noise of the modern world. He seems to have succeeded.

I'm sure there are many of us who read and reread LOTR for wisdom and inspiration as much as for adventure and excitement.

Peace,
LadyB

cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: January 20, 2010 09:43
Unlike you, however, I don't believe the stories and characters are real in any literal or historical sense. They don't need to be. They are embodiments of Higher Truths that have been expressed in many different languages. What Tolkien was trying to do was create a mythology for the modern age, one that would speak those truths to those who could no longer hear them over all the rage and noise of the modern world. He seems to have succeeded.
I'm with LadyBeruthiel on this, but I understand where you are coming from dylanhobbit. I read LotR when it was first published in the 1950s and, although this forum is not the place to discuss our personal traumas, I can tel you that its philosophy, and the nobility of its characters have saved my sanity over and over for more than 50 years. I've survived. So will you.
dylanhobbit
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 21, 2010 06:10
It already has saved my life time and time again, not just with my suicide. it has taught me how to deal with every single problem thats come up.

i need to believe iin these characters. i know there are people out there who believe what i believe. i literally believe in aragorn the same way christians believe in jesus.

i know these books can heal and am happy with the people who have posted that it has changed their lives. it makes me feel like i may not be on the wrong track, though i hope im not alone in how deeply i believe
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: January 21, 2010 09:09
Dylan, dear, I'm going to take some advice from other members of staff about where this thread really belongs. I think you may find even more response in one of our other forums. This one is for discussing the books, whereas your focus is on the personal redemption so many of us find in Tolkien's writing.

You have obviously been through the mill. However, should you find yourself in crisis again, please contact a staff member by Private Message, and although we have not the skills or resources to counsel you, we may well be able to refer you to a website where you can find help.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: January 22, 2010 06:23
Right Dylan, I've had chats with my colleagues and done a bit of thinking myself.

I'm posting this in the forum rather than a Private Message, as I'm sure there are many CoE members who may find the following helpful.

As you'll see from the bottom of the Home Page we have many thousands of members. They live all over the world, some of them are in countries that have seen unspeakable strife or are only recently opened up to the wider world. They find, as you have done, that Tolkien's writing helps express their anguish and begin their healing.

We are compassionate people at CoE, but we cannot involve the personal life of any one member lest we open a flood-gate that we are not equipped to handle. Nor can we allow open discussion of controversial and very personal subjects, or matters that may distress our younger members, who are many.

We hope that you will stay with us and enjoy disussing Tolkien and his works, but we have concluded that this particular thread is not appropriate to any of our forums. I'm not going to delete it, but I will lock it soon and keep it as it may be useful to other members at times. And it does express your view, even though we can't dissuss it.

I do hope your life continues to move towards better balance and that you are able to find professional help when you need it.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email