Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post The Guarding of Gollum
on: February 06, 2010 10:19
The account of Gollum's escape given by Legolas to the Council of Elrond has raised many questions. It has been suggested that guarding Gollum is no task for a king's son and nor is the tracking of an escaped prisoner. I disagree. It is only in recent centuries that English Kings and their sons ceased to do battle.

But is that what Legolas is saying? The criticisms are based on Legolas use of the collective 'we' but in what sense is he using it? Does he really mean he was personally present at every event?

Other questions that arise here are: what was the focus of the orc attack, and how did Gollum manage to communicate his needs to his rescuers?

[Edited on 6/2/2010 by cirdaneth]
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Guarding of Gollum
on: February 06, 2010 10:51
I think the "we" is more of a generalised form of the elf people ... that is, "we - the folk of Mirkwood" - it doesn't necessarily mean he was present at each event though ...
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 07, 2010 12:44
That's what I think too, Ilandir. In fact Aragorn's question
"How came the folk of Thranduil to fail in their trust?"
seems phrased specifically to elicit that response.

The folk of Thranduil will include his kin among the Sindar, the local Silvan elves who accepted them long ago as their protectors, and such other Avari that linger in Northern Mirkwood.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 07, 2010 04:07
Agreed
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: October 26, 2011 11:52
*bump
Nolimon
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 20, 2011 04:40

Other questions that arise here are: what was the focus of the orc attack, and how did Gollum manage to communicate his needs to

I believe it was discussed during the council: Sauron wanted to recapture Gollum or at least deprive his enemies of him. A free Gollum would serve his interests more in that he may lead him to the ring and create some mischief along the way, preferable than knowing that the likes of Gandalf and the elves have him.

As to how Gollum may have communicated with them, it can be conjectured that after living among orc camps he may have learned some of their ways. Signs, calls etc. It's even possible that he may have communicated through beasts and creatures in Sauron's service.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email