Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
Post The weapons of Legolas
on: February 11, 2010 05:59
It has been suggested to me that, as an elf of noble lineage, Legolas should have fought with lance, spear and sword.

I disagree. What do other members think?
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The weapons of Legolas
on: February 11, 2010 06:12
I believe such noble elves would have been allowed to choose any type of weapon they wanted - free will ...
LadyBeruthiel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 11, 2010 04:28
Noble or not, Legolas is a wood-elf, and lances, spears and swords can be darn unhandy where there are a lot of trees. I imagine him as a hunter, or at least as using a hunter's weapons.
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 14, 2010 02:47
I'm with you there, LadyB. The expert who suggested a lance was obviously unaware that it is a cavalry weapon. And, as you say, Legolas and his kin live among Silvan elves in Northern Mirkwood where bow and knife are far more practical.
Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2010 07:04
The expert who suggested a lance was obviously unaware that it is a cavalry weapon

Not necessarily a cavalry weapon, but definitely a spear is most effective in cavalry units. The problem with this question might arise when one reads 'The Hobbit'. We are told that during the battle of the five armies, most of the elves were spearmen and (though I'm not sure) the book does suggest they are foot spearmen. So although I agree with LadyB about Wood Elves specializing in long-range weapons, one might want to consider what is said in 'The Hobbit' aswell.

[Edited on 14/2/2010 by Ilandir]
cirdaneth
Send Message
on: February 14, 2010 07:47
I've looked it up.
Lance: The term from the 17th century came to refer specifically to spears not thrown, used for thrusting by heavy cavalry, and especially in jousting. A thrusting spear which is used by infantry is usually referred to as a pike.

From 11th C (after stirrups were invented) the lance was favoured for cavalry to cavalry engagement and for rushing defensive structures.

Alexander the Great (somewhat BC) apparently had cavalry without stirrups.

Ilandir
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 14, 2010 10:14
Hmm interesting differences. Though I'm not sure they quite apply to Tolkien's world - especially when pikes and lances come in (as in, the names).
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email