Register

<< First45678
Author Topic:
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: The Ice Crystal ((KEEP))
on: February 17, 2011 10:59
After all they had been through and the challenges they had faced to finally see Sirion and Mithennor again brought heartfelt relief to Lindir, but what of Thane? He tried to show his joy at their return but a weak smile and clasping arms with Sirion was all he could he could muster. Deceiving the orc scouts had taken what little strength he had regained and were it not for Idhren he would likely have perished.

Lindir could see the strain of the journey etched on Nerrivik’s face. The tribes man was use to fighting cold and hunger but what he faced now was beyond anything he could have imagined. The wars common to the southerners had not visited the Lossoth for centuries. In spite of his fatigue Nerrivik ministered the medicinal drink gently and mindful of the elf’s condition. Lindir could feel the warmth first in his stomach and after he managed to take most of a second dose he could feel the warmth spread to his injured arm and then beyond.

"Things are not well, Lindir.”

Sirion’s news was grave indeed and the tale of what was suffered in Carn Dum struck him like a dagger in the heart. He found it difficult to take his eye’s from Mithennor knowing all that she had endured. In elvish, Sirion filled him in on the fate of the Lossoth and that Nerrivik was now chief of a people who were reluctant and ill equipped to go to war. There was still much to do and plans on how they would return to Thane and the army he had built. That night Lindir did not sleep much. He listened as Mithennor spoke in her sleep and from time to time she would cry out as she relived some horror she had endured.

When morning came he already felt much refreshed but would this new found strength be enough for him to keep up with the company. He called Sirion and Adûn to his side.

“Your best chance to avoid the orcs is to stay by the shoreline. They fear water so greatly that they dare not approach it in fear of being snared by it. The low dunes that lay along the shoreline may shield you from them. I don’t know if I’ll be able to keep up at the pace you need to set and you cannot wait if I fall behind. Idhren and I will make for the army camp should we become separated. It is time for you two to take the stone.” Lindir unwraps the Palantir and Sirion sets eye’s on it for the first time. “Keep it wrapped, for we know not who may have one of the seven lost stones. You both know what must be done with it.” He wrapped the stone and handed it to Sirion. “I will be able to travel better if you take the stone my friend.” The three of them shared a understanding look and nothing more needed to be said.

Adûn stood to leave but Lindir ask both the ellon and ranger to wait a moment more.

We owe you a great deal Adûn. You have done, with the doggedness of an elf, as much as any warrior of the Eldar could have done. I plan to return to Imladris one last time before I leave this realm, if Mandos allows it, and I hope you will join us on that journey. There your deeds will be will be rewarded for the Eldar know all too well the havoc and destruction that would fall on peace loving peoples of this world were Sauron to get the stone. But for the moment we are a long way from Imladris.” He turns to Sirion. “Sirion you command this company, what would you have Lady Idhren and I do?”

Sirion placed Idhren and Lindir in the middle of the company. He and Nerrivik took the lead with Adûn in the rear and Mithennor and Idhren behind Lindir. This was to be the order until they were well beyond the orc encampment. Once they were a safe distance away Adûn was to fall back and spy out the orc encampment, count their numbers and to try and figure what the orcs next move would be and then return with all speed to the Lossoth army encampment. Sirion and Nerrivik would seek out orc scouts as they made their way back and eliminate them with Idhren’s aid.

By using the shoreline and a lack of orc lookouts the company was able to make its way past the orc camp with a number of stops and starts in two hours. A half hour later Adûn fell back and made his way back to the enemy camp. A half hour beyond that was the first time Lindir fell. Sirion called for a rest period in spite of Lindir’s insistence that they should continue on without him. Sirion would have none of it. In truth Sirion was as much concerned for Mithennor as Lindir. Lady Idhren tended to Lindir and then went to the aid of Mithennor.

Sirion lay his hand on Lindir’s shoulder. “We parted ways once already and I have no intention of allowing that to happening again. We stay together no matter what.”

The storm that rolled across the lands from the western seas two days earlier had strewn debris along the shoreline and in that line of debris Idhren had found a weathered stick that would work well enough as a staff for Mithennor who was again hunched over favouring her side once again. Whether or not she allowed herself would use it was the unknown. To everyone’s surprise Adûn came running up the shoreline.

“They make preparation to pull out.” He had to stop and catch his breath before he continued. “As luck would have it I came upon their command tent. They know there is no force that threatens them from the rear or east. As soon as that storm rolls in they march due south. I cannot see them making good time even with the storm clouds to shield them but they will make good time once night falls. There are a hundred and ten now that all their scouts have returned. Their commander wears the colours of the Witch King of old. He plans a head long attack a hour after sunset two days hence. They know of Thane, Sirion, his army and his strength.”

The question now on Sirion’s mind was should they turn back and follow the orcs from the rear and who to send on with a warning? The pace set by the orcs is one they could manage better than trying to race back to Thane. They could attack the rear of the orc companies when they launched their attack on Thane. It would confuse the orc ranks and four crack arches attacking the rear would inflict heavy losses before the orcs knew what hit them. Would the four archers be better defending the front lines possibly sparing the lives of the Lossoth ranks. Too many varibles to go through and Sirion was not an experienced field commander and he knew it. His earlier regrets and comments to Mithennor came back to haunt him.

"A piece of jewelry. A necklace or a bracelet maybe. Perhaps some rings. Something that won't be used as a weapon. I fear that I have seen more battle than I expected to. I knew there was going to be violence, death, and battling when we left. Finding one of the stones brings warfare to it. I was not ready for what we found, what we walked into."

Should he ask the others or make the call himself? He now found that the fate of more than a hundred lives rested on his shoulders and the decision he would make.

[Edited on 18/2/2011 by Fennuir]

[Edited on 18/2/2011 by Fennuir]
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2011 06:48
Idhren snapped her head around as she heard Adun's human footfalls before he was seen, and she gently stroked mithennors hair as she apologized, and stood up quickly to hear what news he had to bring the heavy heartded company. Mithennor's pale, sickly face lit up as she saw Adun run up from the shoreline, yet she was still hunched over, holding her side tenderly. Idhren had just been tending to her, and did not wish to leave her.

“They make preparation to pull out.” He had to stop and catch his breath before he continued. “As luck would have it I came upon their command tent. They know there is no force that threatens them from the rear or east. As soon as that storm rolls in they march due south. I cannot see them making good time even with the storm clouds to shield them but they will make good time once night falls. There are a hundred and ten now that all their scouts have returned. Their commander wears the colours of the Witch King of old. He plans a head long attack a hour after sunset two days hence. They know of Thane, Sirion, his army and his strength.”

Idhren's stomach dropped for a moment. They would be ambushed, she knew, by practically near nightfall. Lindir's expression was unreadable. He glanced afar, into the roaring sea, and watched as the storm clouds rolled in. They broiled and bubbled, unfurling in grey plumes of smoke like cloud. A storm was on its way. Despite Idhren's fearlessness, she felt a small pit of fear welling up inside of her. She stood and walked to Lindir, and stood close enough beside him to feel his body heat.

"What are we to do, my Lord?"

She grasped his arm gently, trying to to hurt him. His pallid face remained blank for a long moment while he thought.

Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 19, 2011 07:17
Mithennor was glad when she heard Idhren's voice come from behind the dunes. She had run and embraced her friend, who smiled, but looked oddly at her short hair as she fingered the wisps. She kept silent as Sirion recounted everything that had transpired since they had parted, Lindir and Idhren were taken aback when they heard about Mithennor’s time with the orcs. It needed to be said, but the new attention was almost more than she could bare. Sirion’s attentions were one thing, he had been there and... well, he was Sirion, he was comforting. She didn’t give the matter much more thought then that.

Lindir looked worse than Mithennor had expected, the wan smiles he spared drained him, though he looked much improved after Nerrivik’s administrations. After a night’s huddled sleep, they all pressed on. Lindir should a surprising amount of energy, though after a few hours of marching they all stopped for a rest. Her side was starting to ache, having run out of her tea the night previous. She tried not to make it too obvious, but after seeing to Lindir, Idhren came over and saw to her as well. She lifted up the edge of the tunic to help re-wrap it. Most of the bruises were gone from the other injuries and the bruises from the re-set were starting to fade as well, though not enough to avoid a stern look and a small lecture about taking care of herself.

Mithennor smiled to herself a bit, though she did point out that resting wasn’t exactly an option. After playing with Mithennor’s short hair, Idhren got up and returned with a walking stick, Mithennor took it while protesting that she was better, and tried to dismiss it when Idhren elbowed Mithennor in her side to prove a point. Mith responded with a dirty look that Idhren returned with a winsome smile. They continued to sneak quietly by until Adûn came back from his scouting ahead with news that not only were the orcs preparing to move out, but they also knew about Thane’s army (as she had come to call it in her head).

She felt a stone drop into her stomach, looking around at the others; their moods also grave. Sirion paced back and forth while he digested this, worry growing on his face.She rose and went to him, Adûn bending and speaking to Lindir and Idhren.

“You already know who to send. Thane needs to be warned, and while we might be able to do some damage to them, we’d prove little more than a distraction. We have bows, but not many arrows and not the time or resources to make more, and we can’t travel far or fast enough for an effective retreat lest we be captured and the stone with us.” She laid her hand on his arm “but whatever decision you make, it needs to be made soon. We haven’t been lead astray thus far, and I doubt you will be the first.” She gave a small smile, he looked down at her, still distracted before they joined the others.

it was decided that Adûn would leave, and warn Thane. What the others were still do was uncertain. Speed was a necessity, but Lindir would make that somewhat difficult, though no one said it out loud. He was doing remarkably well after minimal medical help, but he was far from healed. Adûn left after a few brief words of farewell, casting a last significant look back at the two ellons that Mithennor missed.
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 24, 2011 09:21
Heavy rain and howling winds followed the cloud darkened sky. The lossoth secured all their belongings as best they could, but the weather still found ways to tear the camp tents from their deeply set stakes. Settled precariously on the edge of oblivion, the voices of Thane and Burodan echoed ominously throughout the camp, aided by the merciless wind.

The main tent shook violently in the night’s storm, and the two stubborn commanders within had to shout to be heard. Occasionally things were thrown when there was a need to gain attention or simply to release frustration.

“The scouts reported that the orcs still remain north of us! There was no indication that they even know we’re here. There is no reason to compensate tactics!” Burodan growled at Thane.

“I am trying to be cautious you blood-thirsty fool! The report also indicated that the orc number exceeds ours!”

“I am not blood-thirsty, soldier, I just think that we should hurry and take them unawares!”

“I would hardly call them unaware of anything. Your northern orcs seem to love moving in this weather.” Thane grumbled.

Burodan moved to an old map that he had spread out on a small table. He pointed to a drawn depression on the parchment. “They are camped here in the valley only leagues away. We have the high ground we can take them!”

“Burodan I told you, I cannot read your maps. All your coal shading looks the same and your landscaping might as well be blank. It’s a map of a tundra.”

The tribesman took a deep breath trying to calm his nerves from the ignorant southerner. “I explained it already! This is a valley and this is a hill.” He said, pointing out different structures on the parchment. “And this,” Burodan drew a humanoid figure on the map. “Is a foolhardy elf who cannot tell north from south!”

“Well you’d best set him next to a short tribesman with a death wish!”

Before things could escalate further between the two, the northern wind picked up and ripped the ceiling tarp from the main tent. Shouting and cursing at the top of their lungs, the ellon and chieftain quickly scrambled outside and gave chase. By the time they returned and fixed the damage, the two were soaked down to the bone and completely exhausted.

“Let’s get one thing straight elf,” Burodan panted. “You were elected commander in my stead. But I have returned to guide my people. You will remain an advisor and nothing more. We march with the storm’s eye.”

Thane had so many different angles to protest, but the way in which Burodan spoke made his word final. The lossoth may have grown fond of him, but ultimately they trusted their new chieftain. The ellon massaged at his temples for a moment, before restarting their fight. There had to be something he could do to stop this new headstrong madman. Thane wished for once that Lindir was around to remedy the situation, but something in him knew that there would be no such luck.
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 28, 2011 07:46
Adûn spared a glance back at his group, once more setting out alone to move back and forth between parties. He wasn't bitter about being the one chosen again; he took it as a compliment. The ranger only hoped that this was not the last time he looked upon the elves he was leaving behind. Storm clouds gathered o the horizon; a low rumble of thunder stretched on overhead. A poignant reminder that he could not outrun the wind. He estimated the storm would catch him a few leagues out. His only hope that it was not bad enough to force him into shelter. If he failed to deliver his message, the Lossoth would be caught unawares.

Adûn ran at a steady pace, picking his way carefully over the small hills so as not to silhouette himself. It made him slower, but he was no use to anyone dead. Idly the ranger wished that the wind was not at his back. He could avoid eyes just fine, but there was no way for him to hide his scent. Rain began to fall on the ranger as he trudged on. "Right on time." he muttered as the rainfall began to pick up. With a sigh he slung his deep cowl onto his head to help keep him dry. The rain continued to pour, gusts of wind blowing the drops around him in a flurry. At times he could swear that it was raining sideways.

He suddenly realized that he had come to the Lossoth encampment when he spotted some sentries taking shelter under a small tree. Deciding that speed was better, he bypassed the tribesmen-turned-warriors without them even knowing. They had been hastily trained, and did not possess the skill to spot a ranger if he chose not to be spotted. Picking his way to the main tent, the ranger threw back his cowl and then threw open the tent flap. There was a sound of disgust from both men inside, beginning to complain about the wind before they realized that Adûn was the one that had thrown it open.

There was a look of shock and recognition on both faces, the two stood there transfixed before pulling him inside. The ranger had to look haggard by that time with how long he had been out in the storm. The two offered him some spare clothes and a warm cup of tea that had been brought in earlier. Adûn accepted both thankfully.

As the ranger began to peel off his wet clothes he began to brief the two. There was some disappointment when they learned that he had come alone, but it was not all bad with the news that, at the moment at least, the others were safe and Lindir was on the mend. "I did not trek through a storm to tell you that all is fine, however." the ranger said ruefully.

His news that the orc army was aware of theirs, and planned to move, seemed to spark a debate that had been raging earlier. "See! This is why you should listen to me. If we ran in now, we will be crushed." Thane said determinedly.

"We should move as well, we will flow down on them like water down a hill!" Burodan protested angrily. Adûn pursed his lips tightly, not sure whether to intervene or not.

"Burodan," he said finally. "We should fortify this position we hold now. If we dig in, they will lose more men trying to make an offensive than we will staying put. They approach from downhill; our arrows will travel farther and strike deeper. The slope is already muddy and sodden from the rains; they will have to fight even the earth to reach us." Thane stood triumphantly, the Dunedain wished that he did not; it could provoke the Lossoth chieftain into fighting back again. He could tell that his words were making an impact.

The Dunedain ranger tried a differant track "I am not an elf telling you what to do. My people have lived here as well, we are kin, of a sort." It was a stretch, but the lossoth man was more open to words of wisdom from a human than elf. Thane put on a soured look at that last bit. a glare from the ranger warned that now was not tohe time for them to squabble like a pack of geese.

After a moment, Burodan finally said. "Adûn is right; we should stay here and entrench ourselves. Let the pigs drive themselves onto our spears for us." Behind him, Thane threw up his hands in resignation. As if he had not been saying the same thing for the past four hours! "We should make what preparations we can now." he grimaced at the sound of the rain on the tent. "The men will not like preparing for battle in this, but there is nothing to be done about it."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sirion chewed his lip worriedly as Adûn ran out. Despite all the worries running around in his head, he knew that Adûn was the only logical choice to send. He still had no idea what to do with the rest of them though. Would the four of them really make that much of a difference if they attacked the flank, even if it were just to hamper them? Was it worth the risk? His eyes passed over each of the others in turn. All the elves were deadly with bows, but with a limited supply of arrows they would make only a minor dent in the force. They finally settled on getting a few hours of rest before moving on. Hopefully the bulk of the storm will have passed and they could move as they needed later.

Sirion volunteered for the watch. He told Lindir in particular to get some rest. That he would need his strength to move. With how little they would be resting there would only be need of one watch, to have more would not be practical. Mithennor caught his eye with a worried look towards him before he tried to assure her that he was fine. The ellon was not sure if she believed him. He wouldn't if he had heard himself say the words. Sirion stalked off into the dark to find somewhere to sit out of the rain and watch the horizon, his mind still a whirlwind of thoughts and worries.

It was not long before Mithennor had come out to him, startling him at first. He was not paying attention to what was behind him, and the rain had drowned out the sound of footfalls completely. "You should be resting, we're moving on soon." he said finally as he settled himself. Despite his words, he was shifting to make room in the small cubby to admit her out of the rain.

"Troubles lay heavy on your shoulders Sirion." she began, a touch of sympathy on her voice. "Whatever decision you make will be the right one. You helped get us out of Carn Dum, and your decisions were just as sound now as they were then. He shifted uncomfortably at the mention of that dark place. The memories of that place still chilled the marrow in his bones. She had said these things to him before but she appeared to be ready to say them as many times as needed for him to get it through his hard head, or so she said with a laugh. He flashed half a smile along with her to let her know he was listening, but his heart was still heavy with making a decision.

"What would you have us do?" he asked quietly. They sat in silence for a few moments before she spoke.

"We have a duty to everyone that is bigger than us, or two opposing armies. The palantir must be kept safe." She began. He nodded slowly along with her words. "But we are not cowards to run from a fight." there was a dangerous light in her eyes, a hint of violence in her grin. Sirion couldn't help but to share her enthusiasm. He nodded again with a smile, this time seeming more determined.

"I know what we must do." He said quietly again, his eyes still slightly unseeing as his mind raced with more thoughts again. "We should wake the others and get moving." He said briskly, as they exited the small natural shelter and went to the group. They were roused easily, each had slept only lightly if at all. "We will tail the orc force and harry them as necessary." he said, the ellon's voice holding a touch of command in it. "If they have stragglers through their march we will pick them off, but we will not make a full show of force. We have a duty to the stone, and of they become too aware of our presence all could be lost. We will be least likely to be detected if we save most of our shots for the battle." And like that, it was decided.

Sirion had hoped that a weight would be lifted from his shoulders after he had made the decision and told the others, but it did not. If anything it became heavier. Duty was a mountain on his shoulders. The blacksmith missed his forge at that moment, but he knew he would not go back, not yet. He forced the doubts out of his mind as they seeped in. he had made the decision, now they had to act on it. As one, the group gathered their things and began to move out to tail the orc force.

[Edited on 1/3/2011 by Naucoaran]
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2011 10:13
"Well he has done it." Lindir said quietly to himself and it did not surprise him. Sirion had, had many doubts but he finally took the challenge head on and laid out a good plan. Lord Elrond would be pleased to hear it. The Elven Lord, with his foresight, had seen that Sirion would one day stand as a highly respected commander of Imladris, but he need the field training. In being wounded it was easier for Lindir to put Sirion into the position that would make or break him without making it obvious that he was being groomed.

Whether it was the medicinal tea alone or a combination of it and the elven ability to bounce back didn’t matter, Lindir felt a great deal stronger. He shouldered his bow and quiver, which Idhren had carried for him, and with his staff in hand he went to relieve Sirion of the Palantir.

“Walk with me for a moment Sirion before we leave.” They did not go far just out of ear shot. “I feel nearly myself again and I’m ready for a good fight. Therefore the burden of the Palantir is once again mine to shoulder.” He slipped the pouch holding the Palantir over his shoulder. “I overheard you talking to Mithennor and I think you have laid your plan well my friend, I would have done the same. Might I give you a few words of council on orcs that you would not have learned working a forge. The orcs will use those who can’t keep up as a rear guard. In this case they have no concern that someone might fall on them from the rear, so they will give no heed to those few who fall behind. Save your arrows for when they are most needed and use your knives. Your throw must find its mark in the back of the skull or through its throat. This way they will utter no call of warning when they fall. It is not as easy as an arrow but we can’t afford to have any shafts lost or broken. The stragglers usually fall back on their own but sometimes they remain as a group of three or four especially if they need to protect their rear. If that’s the case we would have to use the noise of the storm and stealth to fall on them. With the size of their company ten or so will fall behind. They are typically the ones who were wounded at some time and find the battle pace to swift for them. We should have little trouble dealing with them.”

Lindir paused for a moment debating with himself on whether or not to speak of a confidential matter. “I’m sorry to have left this to you Sirion but those were my orders. I am to report on your progress to Lord Elrond. He has seen a vision of your future and that is why you are here. The others know nothing of it. I did not like it when we split into two groups but there was little else we could do. Going our separate ways was not part of the plan but you faced the horrors and became stronger because of them. That is the mark of a true commander. The darkness, the fears, the scars and memories within you because of Carn Dum were not foreseen. To endure such horrors as you have seen and remain above them takes many years of battle hardening.” Lindir paused for a moment.

“One day, not to distant, you will have to make a choice and this journey was to give you a taste of field experience. If you stay in the field for as long as I have you will see darker days my friend and some scars will go deep and there will be day when you’ll wonder why. But there are many, many more days that will be cherished and always remembered fondly. Don’t let the darkness of Carn Dum enslave you for the sun will shine on us again. I commend you Sirion for you have done well with your first command. I know the doubts you have for I too have been in your place. But remember this, Mithennor would not be here were it not for you. The Lossoth would not have an army but for your drive to move on. All that and much more would be lost but for your decisions. Not Thane’s decisions or Mithennor's decisions but yours. We will defeat this rabble of orcs and see this damn stone sail west. Then we will talk again over some mead and I will tell you all I know of Lord Elrond’s vision. So commander, let’s go hunt orcs”

[Edited on 3/3/2011 by Fennuir]

[Edited on 4/3/2011 by Fennuir]
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 11, 2011 08:48
In a final attempt to explain his reasoning’s to Thane and Adun, Burodan marked out the current positions of their enemy on his map. Adun, as luck would have it, was much better at reading the lossoth charts than the half elf was. The dunedain was more than happy to patiently relay the information to Thane, especially when it kept the ellon and tribesman from bickering.

“We need to split our force here,” Thane said, having gone over this particular strategy in his head several times. “We’re too much of a target.”

“I thought you said the hills would take away from their initial attack.” Burodan asked, concerned at the elf’s sudden change of plans.

“Having the high ground in this case will make all the difference. But we have not factored in the wargs. A little mud will not bother them.”

Burodan considered this quickly as if he was only doing it to amuse the ellon. His fights with Thane had lessened with the arrival of Adun, but he still felt angry every time the elf opened his mouth.

“Burodan,” Thane said with a tired sigh. “I know you just want to make the first charge and get the bloodshed over with. But that is not how these things work. You will lose fewer men by splitting the force. Yes, the ones remaining will take the brunt of the attack. But the second half will move to route the orcs. You just have to hold the line. The key is to be an elusive target.”

“I wonder... do you underestimate the strength of the tribes, or overestimate that of the orcs.”

“It will not hurt to overestimate in our case because technique will always overrule strength.” Thane said confidently.

Burodan stared at Thane silently for a long moment. “Then take the second company, elf, and die well.”

Thane clasped forearms with Burodan and, despite his dislike at the tribesman’s parting words, left the tent to ready his troops.

~~~

Morning soon came, but the night’s lingering weather left no room for the sun to light the way to victory. Thane sat low in the valley with Adun and his company, waiting for the lossoth’s horns to signal their need. The air was filled with the howling of wargs as they grouped below the lossoth. Thane looked down at his men and could see some of them visibly shaking where they stood. Some were even bent low by the need to regurgitate that night’s dinner. He realized then that this was usually the point of the battle where his commanding officer would stand and speak in attempt to ignite the soul against the coming doom. But Thane was not a strong public speaker, and he had used much of his energy fighting Burodan with every spare word he could conjure. He had nothing else to offer the lossoth and he prayed that what he had already done would be enough.

He turned his attention back to the mounted orcs collecting at the base of the foothills. A low toned horn sounded and the wargs were spurred on. Jaws snapping and hackles raised, the over sized mongrels made a dead run up the hill toward Burodan and the main force.

Nerves ran high as Thane and his men watched from a distance. “Hold!” he reminded sternly. They had to wait for all the wargs to make it to Burodan, it was the only way they could circle and close in on the force. Some of the lossoth cried out hoarsely as the first of the mounted riders made it to the main hill.

“Hold!” Thane growled. A premature charge could turn this fight the wrong way.

As expected, the warg’s tactic was to divide and conquer, just as they had done on their first raid in the lossoth tribes. But Burodan was ready for them this time, and he held his line fiercely, finally reaching for a horn to signal Thane and his company.

The horn’s blast hit Thane like a brick wall and he felt as if his heart would leap from his chest with the excess adrenaline. “Tribesmen of the north!” he cried aloud. “Stand! For Lord and land!”

[Edited on 12/3/2011 by Ohtariel]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 18, 2011 06:36

Whether it was her words or those spoken to him by Lindir, Sirion seemed to gain a bit of confidence. After the others were roused, they started low along the back hills, keep to the ground and the few scrubby plants that fought for life here on the tundra. The rain slackened, but did not cease. As relieved as Mithennor was that the news would predicate them, anxiety gnawed her stomach with the fear that Adûn would not reach Thane and the Lossoth in time to be of much use.... there was also the fear of Burodan’s and Thane’s temperaments. If Delia’s voiced opinions of her husband were any indication, then he and Thane were similar enough to potentially cause problems.

The hours passed with little conversation and even less pausing for rest. Lindir’s face was set with his usual look of determination and thoughtfulness, Idhren not far from his side, obviously more concerned with him than herself. Sirion led the pack and Mithennor fell to the rear. She was unable to catch glimpses of the look on his face, but she had a feeling it mirrored hers.

It grew dark, but they still didn’t stop. The fact that they ran across no straggling companies of orcs after all this time stopped baring well and started to confirm some ill portent. Through the lightfootedness of the elven kin, and the grace of the Eldar, the small band of elves made time that seemed almost impossible.

Sneaking up through a depression between two small hillocks, they came upon the spot where the Lossoth had been camped. There unfolding before them was a battle, being fought on two fronts, the Lossoth army had been split and now converged, pinning the enemy between them, funneled by the valley.

Mithennor was neither a tactician, nor a solider, but she paused for a moment as she watched the scene and admired the strategy, though losses were heavy on each side. After a few moments of pause and a brief conference- Lindir and Idhren with him were to loop back around and join the flank of the company climbing up through the valley...
They had managed to spot Thane through the maw of the battle and not too long after that Burodan was also seen wielding an unusual sword.

Sirion and herself were also to go down and aid the front line of the Burodan’s company as best they could. There were more arrows down there and they would be much more effective firing downhill than up. They split up and moved as stealthily as they could, easing their way down into the fray. Through the chaos, someone managed to get the her some arrows and Sirion managed to get a sword. She fell back, keeping a wary eye on him and on the few orcs that she and a few others had separated out of the flock, picking them off before they could call for others.

((ooc: not sure how you wanted the fight to go, but hey- we're fighting. Woo. let me know, and I can edit this/add to it))

[Edited on 19/3/2011 by Carandra]
Mon coeur est genre, mais je suis un monster. (My heart is kind, but I am a monster.)
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 20, 2011 08:25
The chase was fast and steady. There were no stragglers which meant they were the best that could be raised out of the rabble of Carn Dun . This was a mission that would cost every orc his life if they didn’t succeed, there was no going back empty handed. The witch king was merciless and each orc knew that death would be welcomed once the punishment for failure was metered out. They had nothing to lose and an enemy facing a cruel fate fought as if demons drove them on.

The small company, led by Sirion, crested a small hill and skidded to a stop. Burodan and the Lossoth held the high ground on the far side which brought a momentary halt to the wargs and the orc soldiers. Lindir and Idhren broke to the left and took a position that would allow them to strike the wargs flanks. They seemed to know what the other was thinking and from on a small ridge of bedrock they looked down on the orc company. They took up positions and notched their bows targeting the warg’s eyes or temples, a hit on either would drop them on the spot. For a moment it grew quiet. The rain, coming down even harder now, could be heard pelting the ground. The ground could absorb no more water and little rivulets began running down the slope.

An instant before the orcs charge up the hill, if you listened closely, two bow strings twanged and their arrows sliced silently through the air. Two of the front line wargs dropped pinning their riders to the ground. The beasts directly behind them stumbled over the carcases but soon got their footing and charged up the hill. Two more arrows were let loose striking two more wargs in the front flank. Their front legs buckled under them and they went down, but they weren’t dead. In their thrashing about while trying to stand a number of the orcs were bowled over, others stumbled to close to the wounded beasts jaws and were torn to pieces. The orcs were now forced to go around causing a splitting of the ranks. Somewhere in the mêlée a horn blew. Thane led a charge of Lossoth warriors from the opposite side flanking the orcs and attacking from the rear.

Lindir and Idhren now targeted their remaining arrows on the main body of orcs charging up the hill. Lindir could see Burodan hacking slicing into any orc that came with an arm’s reach. There wasn’t much swordsman ship but it did the work. With their arrows gone the two elves drew their swords, jumped from the rise and joined the Lossoth and Thane slicing into the rear of the orcs. Thane and Lindir caught sight of each other for just a moment and each gave a nod. The orc ranks split, some going up the hill and others going to the fight at their rear. Lindir and Idhren fought side by side in a rhythmic flow. The only advantage the orcs had was numbers, and those were falling quickly, more quickly than the numbers of the Lossoth. With his sword in one hand and his knife in the other, Lindir sliced arms off and disembowelled any orc that challenged him. Black blood splattered everywhere and mixed with the rain water running down the hillside.

[Edited on 21/3/2011 by Fennuir]
maerwyn2233
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 21, 2011 12:21
Idhren stole quick glances at Lidir whilst slicing off limbs , stabbing, or disembodying any orc in her path, and watched his graceful strokes. He possesed much swordsmanship, rather than Burodan. Poor Burodan, thought Idhren.

The Orcs were thinning out, limbs and heads were evenly spread across the terrain, and goo-like black blood was strewn everywhere. It stained Idhren's sleeve and mixed with her own cuts. Yet the way Lindir moved along with her, they were synchronized. Like magnets, like two equal forms of energy that drew eachother together naturally. The rain suddenly became heavier, and in the distance Idhren could see gray plumes of storm clouds rolling in. There was a bigger storm yet to come. Idhren locked eyes with Lindir for an eighth of a second.

"Your fighting skill is satisfactory. But requires improvement, i must say." A small laugh escaped her sweet lips, and for a moment, looking at Lindir's powerful body move, there seemed to be a patch of light left in the plumes of darkness.

Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 23, 2011 05:40
Adûn waited along the ranks of the footmen, rivulets of water ran down his face and over the naked steel of his large sword, deftly held ready in two hands. The ranger had opted to be in the front lines to help serve as an anchor in the lossoth line. Veteran fighters were scarce in the human force and if they could be properly spaced out, they could serve as good morale boosts and beacons to the greener troops. The ranger spared a glance to either side, some of the men shivered from the cold, others from fear or excitement. There was a burning hollowness in Adûn's stomach, as always happened to him before a large battle.

Guttural roars and taunts screamed and hooted loud enough from the orc army to be heard over the hammer of wind and rain "Hold fast and protect the man next to you!" he shouted over the heads of men standing around him. He flashed a grin at the man next to him; he wrung his hands over the grips of his spear in return. The grin made him seem a wolf trying to appear tame. The orcs surged forward; a black wave rushing to crush against the rocks. Many of the lossoth planted the butts of their spears into the ground to impale wargs as the beasts charged ahead of the main group. In a moment of confusion some began to fall before any reached the lines, a glimmer of hope surfaced in Adûn that his friends had made it after he had left. But in moments his mind was blank for all but war.

The few remaining wargs broke the lines and the ranger shouted frantically to hold and push forward. At the speed of a creep, it seemed that the lossoth fought the breaks back and reformed into a solid line, pockets branching off to allow orcs to flow into the iron maw of spear heads that would clamp back down on them. Adûn waded through the battle, blood smeared over his arms and chest, spatters mixing with the water running down his face. Not all of it was orc. With precision that belied the large blade, Adûn made deft stabs and slashes, the large blade taking limbs off and even severing bodies in half when they were not armored in metal chain or plates.

A smaller orc, it could almost be called a goblin, lashed out from his side with a crude spear. The blade took him in the side, but his fine chain shirt underneath his outer green and browns turned the blade aside, but not before the force of the blow bruised a rib or two. The lossoth that was at his side made a quick return hit and quickly dispatched the orc. The two locked eyes and Adûn gave a silent nod of thanks before the two turned back to the chaos at hand.

By that time, Sirion and Mithennor had broken off from the two other ellon and moved to help Burodan's men. The blacksmith-turned-warrior stood ten yards in front of Mithennor, using his blade with a mix of deadly finesse and brute strength while she pelted the horde with deadly arrows. Sirion danced the different forms of the sword fluidly, each transition meeting the next seamlessly. The ellon stabbed repeatedly as three orc came at him, all charging at once. The blade slid through flesh as if it were silk. He stabbed heart then lung, finishing with the throat and through the spine of one orc, then had to quickly slash from shoulder to hip on the second orc in line, the blade creasing through the collar bone and coming to stop tangled in the ribs. Sirion realized his error even as the third orc slashed at his chest with its curved sword, his own blade firmly stuck in the corpse of his last kill. Throwing himself backwards desperately Sirion fell to the ground as the blade cut through his shirt and opened up a gash from left shoulder to the bottom rib on his left side, a mocking parody of his last killing blow.

As he fell, an arrow took the orc in the eye, burying itself up to the shaft in the creatures’ skull as it crumpled to the ground. Sirion struggled to his feet and looked over his shoulder to Mithennor, relief on her face that his fall was not from the orcs blow being fatal. He flashed a quick grin at her before rushing to retrieve his sword from the body. The thing stuck stubbornly until he planted a boot against the corpse and yanked roughly. There was no time to rest as more orcs began to flood in, the two ellon seeming to be vital targets as Mithennor's arrows continued to fly into the ranks as a steady flow of reserves were stacking up next to her from some of the lossoth.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 24, 2011 08:04
He looked up and all he saw was the wild crazed face of a screeching orc falling through the air. Lindir thrust his sword upwards and impaled the orc but he did not have the strength to follow through and use the orc’s momentum to throw him either to the back or to his side. Instead the orc landed on him and they both fell over backwards. He was getting weaker, he had pushed himself as far as he could go but the battle was not yet done. He was not surprised when the orc landed on him but what happened next was a shock. Instead of falling back into the mud with the orc still on impaled his sword he found himself underwater.

The battle raged on, and no one noticed that at the bottom of the ten metre deep vale the water was knee deep, and rain still came down. It was a surreal moment as Lindir struggled to get the orc off of him and still try to hold on to his sword. He could hear a dull rumble as he struggled to finally rid himself of the corpse on top of him. He heard the rumble grow even louder and as he broke the surface and took in a breath of air it came back to him. He’d remember that sound from very long ago.

He looked around in a panic and grabbed Idhren who’d just kick a dead orc off her sword.

“Get out of here!” He screamed as he pushed her up the hill. “Get to the top!”

“Thane!” he screamed as he looked around in a panic. “Thane!” He stumbled over the body of a Lossoth warrior and fell into the water again. The rumble was now deafening. A hand reached down grabbed his tunic and yanked him up out of the water. He coughed up blood stained water and saw Thane holding on to him.

“You wounded?” Thane shouted.

Lindir shook his head but grabbed a tight hold of Thane’s arm.

“The water!” was all he could say as he pointed up the vale.

Thane and Lindir scramble up the muddy, slippery slope but they knew they wouldn’t make it. A wall of water six metres high came roaring down on them and swept away everyone within its reach. Thane and Lindir were only partially hit by the wall of water. Lindir had managed to drive his sword into the hillside and held on to the blade and Thane for dear life.

The water swept away the living and the dead. Burodan, Adûn and Idhren were above the torrent of water as were most of the Lossoth. After the gains made from their initial charge the orcs had been push back down the hill. Those orcs and the dead wargs that had rolled down the hill were all washed away as were any Lossoth attacking the rear. The battle was not yet over as there was still a small group of orcs who fought on and a rider less warg prowled about snapping at anything within reach. Nerrivik was above the water line but he lay motionless in the mud.
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 27, 2011 07:39
Flash floods had been nowhere near Thane's list of concerns when they had started that day. They made sense now of course, as he battled his way back up the hill with Lindir. Part of him wished he had listened closer to the words of Burodan who knew the land and weather better than the ellon could ever hope to.

"This would be easier if you ate less," Thane grunted as he half dragged Lindir to dry ground. He flashed a quick smile, before his attention was forced back to the task at hand. Orcs were still sliding into the vale at the two pressed on, and Thane frequently dropped Lindir to contend with them. He brought his spear up to bear and used the momentum of the coming orcs to run his enemies through.

It took some time before the two could finally stand on steady ground. By then, the tribesmen had already gathered. Thane moved to join them, but stopped short when he realized that Lindir was not following. He looked back at the ellon, and was immediately overtaken by a nervous vibe in the pit of his stomach.

Lindir wore a horrified expression as he raised a satchel that was strapped around his chest and shoulder, the bottom torn open from the last orc he had struggled with in the water. It didn't occur to Thane that hole in the bag was big enough for a large stone to fall through, mostly because he had never set eyes on the palantir.

~~~

"Nerrivik!" Burodan cried from the top of the hill the minute he spotted the unmoving form of his friend and cousin. He leapt from his spot on the dry ground, despite the verbal protests of his guard, and made a quick bolt through the puddles and mud. His chosen speed guaranteed a bumpy descent on his rear the rest of the way down the hill, but he didn't care. He rolled Nerrivik's unconscious body over and pressed an ear against the tribesman's chest. Burodan was no healer but he was determined to see his cousin through this. He was able to distinguish a faint heartbeat and knew that if Nerrivik's wounds were not addressed, there would be nothing left to hear very soon. Burodan tore strips of his cloak for a tourniquet, in hopes of atleast slowing some of the blood loss. With some effort, he draped Nerrivik across his back and quickly made his way back up the hill. Burodan fell face down in the mud a few times before a few of his healers rushed to his aid and took charge of Nerrivik.

He wanted to do so much more, but knew in his heart that he would just be in the way. Burodan looked back down into the vale, where the remaining orcs were regrouping and reforming their line of pikemen. A fire burned in his chest at the sight of his enemy. The enemy who had threatened his homeland. The enemy who had killed his father. The enemy who, if left unchecked at anytime, would gladly take his family and his birthright as if they had never been part of this world. The enemy who, even now, had seen the likely death of his dear cousin.

"Brothers!" Burodan roared, livid and overwhelmed with hatred. The tribesmen reassembled before their chieftan. "Today we are punished for the sins of our forefathers. Strangers came to our land bearing evil and despite our warnings, the hell-wrought contraptions of foolhardy men have returned to us. Strangers come again to us in hopes of undoing this wrong. But let this not now be our concern! Today we are called to be better men than our fathers! Better in that we will see our troubles out of our lands and rid our world of this race that is more akin to a plague. The lossoth will see peace and freedom again because of our choices here. Pray that we choose better than our sires. Death to the scourge of the north!"

The tribesmen around Burodan stomped and roared their battle cry, shaking the slick ground with their fury. Burodan nodded at a man next him, who raised a horn to his lips for one last blast.

The main force broke again into two companies and charged down opposite sides of the hill, abandoning the high ground altogether. The orc pikemen below were forced to turn and reform their defenses, but this was not quickly done. Mad, wild-eyed tribesmen tore at their ranks from each side, most showing the dormant qualities of a berserker. For the orcs, this battle was nothing more than orders that needed to be carried out. The lossoth fought on with a fire in their hearts. What they were doing at the bottom of that vale as they battled the elements and orcs alike was more than orders from the mouth of their chieftan; it was a calling from their very souls. The north would wash the fiflth from the face of their land if it was the last thing they did.

[Edited on 28/3/2011 by Ohtariel]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 06, 2011 06:01
((ooc: guess who's lappy died again? Give you a hint: she's got two thumbs and no wisdom teeth. If you've guessed me, then you WIN!! YAY!! [insert long suffering sigh here] so, my nice post got deleted in the crash and you must now suffer with this one.... sans editing. I know, I'm a rebel. I like to live on the edge.))

Mithennor woke up upside down on an embankment, entangled in what used to be a shrub. She groaned as she managed to disentangle herself, sliding a few feet on her head further down the embankment. She ached from the force of the water and the various cuts and gashes that she had gotten from the battle and her journey down the violent river. She probably had received most of her injuries from the flood.

It had become a churning force of mud, limbs, boulders, and whatever and whoever else it had picked up. She stretched, stood, and squelched her way up the tallest hill that she could see, picking twigs, and what else she dared not guess from her hair, grateful for its short length. She had lost her weapons, her bearings, and her left boot.

Mithennor stood, surveying the area. Far off in the distance she could see a few surviving lossoth, who seemed to have banded together to kill a surviving orc. Lacking anything else, she started to head in their direction. Making her way down the side of the hill, she marveled at the wreckage that the water was able to wreck. She tried not to pay too much attention to the bodies that lay face-down in the water, stopping occasionally when she thought that there may have been a chance.

Something pulled her to the water's edge, there was no one immediately visible, it was something inexplicable, a draw... before realizing it she knelt in the mud by the eddying remnants of the flood, elbow deep in the muck, she pulled out a stone. It sang, in its own way, as she wiped off the mud, washing it as best she could before the realization dawned over her as to what it was she held, miles from the person who held it last. Using a dagger she had taken from a fallen solider, she cut off a ragged edge from her dirty tunic and wrapped it up, tucking it down her front. A sudden feeling of dread took ahold, she started off again, running closer to the water. Something sent her sprawling, landing face first in the mud.

She turned back to investigate, it hadn't been a log as she had originally supposed. There was a familiarity in the form that lay there, mostly in the water, not moving.

"Oh no..." she scrambled forward, pulling Sirion further out of the water, trying to wipe mud off of his face as she did so. She checked his pulse, it was weak, but there. She breathed a small sigh of relief, until she saw the head wound. Lacking another option, she tore another strip off the bottom of her tunic and winding it around his head, talking to him, trying to get a response.

Once he was far enough out of the water, she rolled him onto his back and left to look for something she could turn into a stretcher, or something to lay over him, They were both soaked and it was cold, and with the setting sun it was growing colder. Not too far away she found most of a cloak, long poles were easy to come by, the waters having originated in the mountains. Winding the fabric around them, she formed a rudimentary stretcher.

After more struggling than she'd ever willingly admit to, she managed to get him onto the stretcher, and started trying to pull him in the direction of the Lossoth soldiers she saw earlier. It was long, and nearly impossible work. He still hadn't said anything, but his chest rose and fell regularly, which was comforting. Mithennor stopped, the poles kept digging into the ground, catching on everything and bouncing Sirion's head. She couldn't make it like this. She yanked off her remaining boot, tucking it under his arm, she headed towards to sluggish river that, only hours ago, had cut through everything. With the water, she was able to drag him more effectively. But the water in the sunset was frigid; she couldn't feel her feet and the rest of her legs were so cold they burned. But as bad as she felt, most of Sirion was in the water. She felt awful about it, but the blacksmith was just far too heavy for her to carry any other way.

The lossoth that she had seen earlier were long gone, but their trail was easy to read. The hours in the darkness bled intermittently together, she stopped as often as she dared to check both the palantir down her front and on Sirion. His pulse seemed a bot weaker, and she fought back a small cry of despair. And guilt. He and Thane had come to save her, had carried her across this damn tundra, and she had arrived at the village no more worse for the wear. She couldn't even manage to keep Sirion alive.

Eventually, she needed to stop. The one bright side about the flood was that there was a great deal of flotsam, and the pieces that were washed up farther on the bank were dry...ish. She got a small fire started, though there was some hesitancy in the fact that it might draw any orcs that were in the area. But it could draw any other lossoth as well. She had built the fire in front of Sirion so she wouldn't have to move him anymore than she needed, and she tried to curl up on his other side, his breath misting lightly. She shivered and curled up as small as she could along his side, and tried to get a few hours of sleep.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 11, 2011 08:29
Lindir, soaked to the bone and muddied, managed to get his footing and stood. It only took a second before the horror struck him. He had managed to save the bag he carried from being swept off his shoulder by the water but the contents were gone. He had cursed that that damn stone several times because the weight of it always caused the rope to dig into his neck and rub the skin raw. He fell to his knees and felt around in the mud and water like a mad man. The battle was still ongoing but he took no notice of it. The flow of the water had dropped considerably, no longer a wild torrent sweeping away everything in its path, it now resembled a swift shallow stream. In spite of trying his utmost, Lindir could find nothing around him. Frustrated and feeling hopeless he stood and looked up the bank and saw Thane looking down on him. Lindir lifted the bag and showed him the hole through which the Palantir had been torn away by the force of the water.

With all they had been through and suffered for that damn stone, only to have lost it, now, when the end was in site was more than he could bear. Lindir fell to his knees, distraught, and a heart wrenching, unearthly scream escaped his lips.

“After everything! And now this! I would rather have burned for a thousand years in Mordor’s fires than to suffer this!” He screamed at the heavens in the tongue of Valinor.

Lindir had not taken notice of the events around him and when he finally looked about he saw a screaming uruk barrelling down on him. His sword was still stuck well down into the mud and when he tugged on it nothing happened. He reached down for his dagger and found that the water had stripped him of that too. The uruk was almost on him when its scream was silence and he fell to the side. Lindir had to look twice at the tip of the spear that had gone through the uruk’s neck. It was huge, nothing like a traditional spear. He looked up the bank and saw a Lossoth warrior that had lost a few teeth grinning down on him. Lindir bowed in thanks and then noticed the shape of the spear’s two tips, it was a harpoon, a traditional harpoon used by all fishers of the seas. For some unknown reason, even unknown to him, he found it funny and he laughed. He grabbed his sword with both hands and pulled it out of the slimy mud still laughing.

He, with his sword raised, ran headlong at the first orc he saw, then another and another. It took no more than ten minutes for the elves and Lossothto finish off the remaining orcs. At the end of the battle Lindir walked amoung the dead and dying orcs and dispatched any that showed the slightest bit of life. The Lossoth had done well. They had reached deep into themselves and found that warrior spirit that had long lain dormant within them. They were bloodied and a number had been killed but stories of this battle would be told for many, many generations. They saved their people from certain death, but were it not for Thane and his training the outcome would have been quite different.

He stood beside Thane looking about and then, at the same instant, they realise that Sirion and Mithennor were nowhere to be seen amoung the living or dead.

“They could only have gone down stream with the flood. Who knows how far or if they even survived it. Maybe they reached the sea I don’t know. Come on.” At that moment Lindir care nothing for the lost Palantir, their comrades were more important.

Thane and Lindir left the Lossoth to tend their own and began to march down stream. Debris and bodies that had been swept down the stream lay deposited all along the banks. They split up and searched opposite banks calling out Sirion and Mithennor’s names hoping not to find either Mithennor or Sirion face down in the mud. As they went on they came across Lossoth tribesmen who had been swept away by the water but still lived. They gave what aid the could and any orc that showed the slightest life was slain with great satisfaction. They trudged on close to six furlongs calling out but finding nothing of them. Ahead of them they spotted the light of a small fire. It was dark and they were both cold. The fire and the warmth of it drew them in but who had lit the fire. It could be Lossoth or remaining orcs. They cautiously made their way forward with their swords drawn creeping along until they were close enough to realise that whoever this was they were certainly not orcs. They crept closer and with some disappointment saw it was two Lossoth that had built the fire. The night was cold and in places the frost began to creep over the ground. They continued their search and they would continue until they reached the sea if need be.

[Edited on 12/4/2011 by Fennuir]

[Edited on 14/4/2011 by Fennuir]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 13, 2011 05:59
The fire had died during the night and when Mithennor awoke that morning, she felt colder than she ever had in her considerable life. Sirion’s breathing seemed a bit stronger as she realized she had unwittingly used him as a pillow. She tried stretching as she sat up, but everything protested. Her hands were raw from pulling the poles the day before and her feet were raw as well. She needed to find something for them. She gave Sirion another cursory look-over, the knot on his head had swollen further and his legs and feet were grey and almost felt dead. The time he spent in the water yesterday had done him no favor, but there was some reaction as she brought them closer to the embers, which meant that that they weren’t dead, but damage may have been done. She ground her teeth together in frustration; both at herself and the situation.

A few minutes away from the camp she came across a small cache of items, including a mangled cloak, and a banner of sorts. One she cut into strips with her dagger and bound around her feet and hands, and the other she draped over Sirion to keep him warm. The water wasn’t an option. It was now sluggish mud that had started to freeze over and would prove to be more a hindrance than anything. Mithennor scanned the horizon, and spotted the smudge of campfires in the distance. They were further out than she expected, but everything could have gone much worse.

The miles wore on, her hands bled off and on as she fought with the terrain, and the weight of her blacksmith companion. She as hard as she tried not to think and just let the miles sink into one another, her mind was constantly brought back to the situation with the uncomfortable weight down the front of her tunic. She didn’t dare stop to pull it out and look into its depths. She knew of the nature of the stone, but in a more practical frame of mind she wasn’t sure that she could carry on again should she stop. She watched the sun rise in the sky and then start to descend again. She collapsed, shaking. Sirion was still unaware of the world around him, and she envied him that much as she unwrapped and re-wrapped them, careful not to aggravate the blisters forming. Though as sore as she was now, she knew that everything would stiffen up as she slept and be far worse when she rose again in the morning. She once more built a small fire next to Sirion without moving him from the stretcher and curled up on his other side.
She wondered how the others were doing, how the battle went. And the sheer panic that they must be in over the stone tucked between her breasts. That weighed on her mind as well. And Sirion. She adjusted herself momentarily, looking up at his face, touching it lightly. The fact that he hadn’t so much as stirred worried her immensely. She knew that he and Thane were close, and he and Lindir had some sort of understanding, what would happen to them should he not wake? Abandoning the thoughts, she lay back down and tried to find sleep.
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 16, 2011 12:06
How could the palantir be gone? Thane thought to himself, panic setting swiftly into his gut. He tried his best not to blame Lindir, but found his consciousness stubbornly fixed upon that response. What made the ellon think it was a good idea to bring the stone into the battle? What if he had been killed and his remains looted? Thane sighed quietly to himself as the two marched downstream. If the orcs hadn’t already picked up the palantir –and Thane suspected that this was not the case—then this was the only place left for the stone to roll. Conveniently enough, this happened to be the direction the two hoped their friends could be found. Just as well, the orcs had not been signaled to retreat, which could mean they still did not have their prize.

The two walked on, occasionally fishing out debris and fallen soldiers from the muck. Mithennor and Sirion were dressed in Lossoth fashion, so it was difficult to distinguish the elves from the slain tribesmen. Due to their troubles back in Carn Dum, Thane had not felt as comfortable with Sirion as he once had. Now that his friend was missing Thane felt worried for him and it was a welcome feeling. He would even willingly admit to missing Mithennor, and the ellon prayed with all his heart that the two were alright.

Thane shivered visibly and he wasn’t sure if it was due to the frost creeping across the ground or if it was against the condition they might find their friends in. He discovered that it was indeed the cold as the cool northern winds shook his drenched clothes and bones alike into uncomfortably low temperatures. Having shared a tent with Burodan, Thane had quickly disposed of his low supply of wine to cope with the stress. His hand went down to the orc flask that was still tied securely to his belt. Thane raised the concoction to his lips and was surprised to find that the drink was no longer of liquid consistency. It was more akin to gruel than anything else, and what was worse, its condition did not seem to stem from the cold. Thane forced a mouthful down anyway, hoping it would warm his blood. He closed the flask and threw the last bits of it to Lindir, who wrinkled his nose at the sight and smell of the drink before throwing it back. Thane shrugged and chewed on the rest of it before forcing himself to swallow. He discarded the flask in the flood at his feet and continued on, glad of the warmth its strange contents somehow still managed to provide.

Lindir and Thane came upon countless campfires of lossoth just trying to make it through the night, none of which could give any information regarding the whereabouts of their friends. They never stayed long, and were off just as soon as the weary tribesmen would stop talking.

“Bitter place, the north,” Thane mumbled. He had enjoyed his time in the tribes, but found all other places miserable.

Lindir smiled wryly. “Not enough civilized areas for you to stir up trouble in?”

It was a small toss at humor, but it brightened their spirits anyway. The two were extremely exhausted and Thane finally broke down and requested a break. He pointed to a lone campfire that seemed to be slowly flickering out. “Last one we check and we camp for the night?” he asked, defeated.

Lindir didn’t wish to stop looking anymore than Thane did, but his previous wounds had been bugging him for some time now. Even he had to accept rest. He nodded his consent and the two trudged slowly to their set destination.

~~~

Mithennor stirred fitfully in her sleep. It was as if she could hear someone calling her name… and Sirion’s name… in fact there seemed to be more than one person out in the night. She awoke slowly and sat upright as fast as her sore muscles would allow. Someone was calling her! She could clearly make out Lindir’s voice. “We’re here!” she cried, getting to her feet. She struggled to ignore the glow of the fire as she glanced out into the night.

Happily, Lindir came first and embraced Mithennor in greeting. He looked around for Sirion and immediately went to examining the ellon when he was finally spotted lying motionless in the dirt.

Thane came next and without warning he seized Mithennor and pulled her into a rough hug. He gave a relieved sigh as he held her, but hesitantly let go in confusion. Thane had been absent any number of women in his life for some time now, but he was still fairly certain there was something in Mithennor’s shirt that should not have been. He was unsure of how to bring it up though and he busied himself by examining her wrapped hands. Despite being cold himself, Thane took her hands in his and blew into them, trying to help warm the elleth. He looked up then and noticed Sirion. His heart seemed to drop to his toes.

“Is he…?” he asked tentatively.

“Not yet.” Mithennor responded shortly.

Thane nodded, his second wind found. “Then we must get him to Burodan’s retinue.” He took his place at Sirion’s head, lifting one side of the makeshift litter Mithennor had fashioned while Lindir took the other. As they started to move out, Thane noticed the aching limp in Mithennor’s stride and he halted their progress. Perhaps there was more wrong with her than she let on.

“Sit with him, lady.” Thane bade Mithennor. Her weight in the litter would not slow their journey.

“I can walk,” she said proudly.

Thane hid a grin at her stubbornness. “Then sit with him so he does not roll out.” Sirion wasn’t moving, much less rolling out of anything, but this seemed enough to allow Mithennor’s pride a ride back to camp. She climbed slowly into the litter and the two ellon carried silently on.

[Edited on 17/4/2011 by Ohtariel]
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 26, 2011 08:17
Mithennor’s added weight was next to nothing. Now that they were united again nothing mattered and Lindir vowed that they would not again take separate paths. Adûn crossed Lindir’s mind several times as they walked and he tried to remember when he last saw him but he could not place him anywhere. He was not amoung those washed up on the banks but what had happened in the battle on the high bank he was not sure. In the dark unseen clumps of grass would cause one of them to stumble every now and then but the litter was held steady. The furlongs went by and Mithennor slept. They passed several groups of Lossoth and even though a faint glow came from the elves they passed by without being noticed.

It had been dark for several hours but the sky began to show a faint glow in the East and distant landmarks began to show themselves. They walked on for another league before stopping. The sun had risen hours earlier and it’s warmth was finally melting the ice and steam could be seen rising off the landscape. Mithennor stirred and out rolled and the Palantir from under her muddied tunic and rested at Lindir’s feet. He stared down at it blankly but felt no relief seeing it. So much toil and loss of life because of it and yet if it had been found by an orc instead of Mithennor everything would of been but a small taste of what might have come. He picked up the Palantir and wiped the grim off of it and placed it on a patch of moss. He still had the shoulder bag they’d fashioned and worked to mend it well enough to hold the stone until they were able to replace it.

Mithennor’s eyes opened and she look around.

“Where are we?” She asked in a weary voice.

“Half way to hell I should think.” Lindir replied smiling down at her. “We’ve got about a league or two left to get back to the main group. Hopefully we can then make it to the village with what’s left of the Lossoth warriors in a day or two. I’m guessing, but by the looks of it the orcs have pretty much been wiped out. You look like you took a pretty good beating when the water hit. That bump on Sirion’s head looks like it came from a good sized rock. His eyes are clear, no blood in them and he moaned when I pinched him. He will survive his first field duty but we must be careful with him. He needs a proper warm bed and care we cannot offer him here in this forsaken place. We could all do with a warm bed.”

Mithennor tried to sit up but Lindir wouldn’t have it and gently push her back and covered her.

“Stay where you are Mithennor. I don’t know how you managed to drag Sirion out of the mud and as far as you did but you have earned a ride in a golden coach, unfortunately this littler will have to do for now. Take your rest while you can.”

Lindir stood and walked over to Thane and put his hand on his shoulder. “He needs proper care. How far are we from the village?”

Thane shook his head. “Look at them dragging their sorry butts around. If all of them are like this it’ll take too long. Two days at best four at the worst. If any orcs survived it’s an open ended question.”

“We need something to drink and at this point I don’t care what it is. I’ll go up stream you go down and see if there’s a skin of the orc brew. “

Thane gave Lindir one of those looks you couldn’t interpret. He shrugged and walked off.

Lindir had no luck finding a skin that hadn’t been spoiled by water but Thane had found two. It was cold and thick, to thick to drink. They laid it on a rock in the full sun and after 20 minutes the warmth liquefied the contents. Lindir pulled the stopper and made the mistake of smelling it. It was beyond vile and he wasn’t so sure about it. Thane took the skin and raised it to his lips and had a good swallow. Lindir was convinced that Thane would drink anything as long as it would alter reality or chase the demons off. That made it all the more difficult for him to stomach.

“If you’re planning on giving this to Sirion it should be good enough for you. I know it offends your delicate pallet but you’ve got no choice.” Thane shoved one of the skins into Lindir’s hands and walked over to Sirion. He lifted his head and poured a little at a time into Sirion’s mouth. He coughed most of it out but Thane was persistent and kept at it for several minutes.

Lindir watched and finally pulled the stopper on the second bottle and took a good swallow. He doubled over and nearly gagged but he forced himself to keep it down. He then sat up Mithennor and plied the black liquid into her. She too coughed much of it up and after a swallow pushed the bottle away. He knew that so long as he remained in Middle Earth he would never try to discover what the black liquid was made of.

After as little as 10 minutes warmth began to spread through his limbs. A few minutes later they picked up the littler and began their trek back to the Lossoth camp.

[Edited on 27/4/2011 by Fennuir]
Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 27, 2011 12:47
As Sirion was washed down stream he felt as if he were being tossed about like a rag doll. He struggled for the surface as his lungs burned for air, only to get half a breath and forced back down again. Iron bands squeezed his chest once more. The blacksmith struggled to tell which way was up for one more breath to fight off the black tunnel that was closing around his eyes. He broke the surface once more and forced air down before being sucked back under. A thought drifted through his mind that he couldn't possibly survive this for much longer right before a sharp pain erupted on his head and everything went black.

He withdrew inside his mind even more, dimly aware that he was unable to wake. He felt shrouded in blackness, unable to move. His thoughts strayed and started to go back to the battle. He stood alone against a tide of orc, a black sea threatening to wash him away. The battle seemed endless. No matter how many he killed, another took its place. He did not seem to feel any wounds that they gave him, only a distant throbbing in his head. It felt like hours passed and he was growing weaker. A cold numbness crept into his legs and spread up his torso. He did not know it, but Mithennor was dragging him through the river.

He could no longer hold the sword in his hands; he could not feel the hilt. The blade fell to the ground and the orcs rushed in, smothering the blacksmith. He squeezed his eyes shut for the inevitable death blow but it never came. When his eyes opened again he was alone. There was only blackness, as he turned around small things began to appear. He could make out walls and a fireplace. He could faintly feel the warmth from it. Mithennor was no longer carrying him through the river, they had made camp and she had placed him next to the fire and was curled up next to him in an effort to keep his limbs from succumbing to the cold. He was in a bed, he realized, and the sheets were as heavy as lead. Try as he might he could not crawl out of them.

Time stretched and he drifted around in semi-consciousness. There were voices, sometimes he could make out what they said and sometimes not. It sounded like Lindir, and maybe Thane. Mithennor was still there, she was the most constant. He tried to fight to get closer to the voices. They sounded as if they were underwater. The room faded back to blackness as he worked closer to the waking world, faintly he felt the cloth of the makeshift stretcher beneath him, the sway that Thane and Lindir had while they carried him. The sky above was gray and dark. A weight still rested on his chest. He strained to look down, and barely made out that Mithennor was lying there asleep, he struggled to move his hand to reach her, to reach anything before the strain overcame his strength and he dropped back down into the darkness.

He tumbled through the blackness discordantly, and it felt like hours before he finally settled again. The strength returned to him later with a fire burning in his gut, the orc brew was flowing through his veins. He struggled to fight through the blackness once more and when he finally did, Sirion was inside a tent with three familiar faces looming over him. He heard Nerrivik speak from a distance, something about the propper medicine now that he was back at the camp. Did they carry me all the way? His thoughts were still slow to form, before he could put more together Lindir spoke.

"He's awake." That got everyone's attention, and he was suddenly being prodded and his eyes were being spread open to get a good look at them. He tried to swat them away, but for once his strength was outmatched by the others. Mithennor was able to hold his arm down like he was a mewling kitten. They said a few more things but he was starting to fade back down into sleep once more. All he could make out was thanks that he was alive; the voices were filled with relief. He tried to say that he was fine but the darkness took him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Adûn had taken a tentative control over the Lossoth group after the elves were nowhere to be found. He first decided to make sure those who were wounded the most were able to be tended before they moved. It wouldn't do to have more men dying because they rushed to move after the battle, and with the majority if not all the orcs gone with the flood they had no reason to hurry. A steady stream lost soldiers who had survived being washed down stream had flowed in for a few days but the flow became a trickle to almost nothing after 4 days. He had almost decided to move again when word reached him that the elves had come in and one seemed to be seriously injured.

He cleared a special tent for them and had Nerrivik bring some of their medical supplies over to tend to him. After a few inspections it was decided that with a few weeks rest he should be back on his feet and up to speed like normal. With Thane back on the scene, Adûn handed over command back to its rightful owner and once again took his proper role.
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 02, 2011 08:32
“The season changes despite all we do here,” Burodan muttered to himself as he sat with his back turned by his cousin’s side. The tribe’s healers had done all they could for Nerrivik, and now it was up to him to remain in the realm of the living. “It was wise council indeed, my friend, that you had our families make their yearly pilgrimage without us. The remaining orcs will not find them.” Burodan had been distraught over the death of his father when they had left home for war, and was not then able to shoulder the responsibilities of his birthright. Were it not for Nerrivik the remaining lossoth might have stayed behind, waiting to receive their surviving loved ones. He sighed and dropped his head into his hands in defeat.

The last charge on the orcs had been his doing, but it had been done in blind rage. He felt concerned over his hatred driven motive. Was this the kind of leader he would be? Burodan had never thought his own father to be such a man, so why then did he not imitate his mentor? Would he be the kind of man who would take action only when some poor fool put a stick in a hornet’s nest? Out of the two of them, Nerrivik had always been the patient one. He handled his life in terms of prevention in order to bypass the need for a cure. Burodan had always envied that. His own methods of dealing with problems usually ended in the destruction of whatever was irritating him. If he lived through this ordeal, Burodan swore he would make Nerrivik his closest advisor.

Secretly Burodan wished that his and Nerrivik’s places were reversed. That it would be him lying here in a tent out on the tundra instead of his dear cousin. At least with his own death the lossoth would inherit Nerrivik’s services as a leader that would do them justice.

Behind Burodan, Nerrivik stirred softly on his bed roll. In time he opened his eyes and watched his cousin silently. Quietly, he loosened the blanket that was wrapped tightly around his body and tested his muscles. When he was satisfied that everything was in working condition, Nerrivik brought his foot up and kicked Burodan in the back, successfully waking the man from his lonely reverie.

“Stop brooding, cousin.” Nerrivik said harshly.

Burodan spun around in a flash, a little angry about being kicked but happy to see his kinsman alive and well. “If you insist on feigning death in battle, you should at least consider joining the orc regiment. It is less insulting to their nature than it is to ours.” The new chieftain spat back, despite the wry smile on his face.
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 04, 2011 07:59
“Well at least I didn’t hide behind the rocks.” Nerrivik shot back with a broad smile. “We have not all been killed then. Well it would seem that you have won a great victory cousin. Once we have honoured those brothers that will not be returning the people will celebrate. Your name will long be remembered and even Delia will have to show you some respect.”

“It was no great victory Nerrivik. I led my people without thinking in a blind rage. There was no thought, no planning in what I did. It was only luck and the flood that spared us.”

Nerrivik shook his head. “When will you stop doubting yourself Burodan? When we come home from hunting the walrus our people rejoice. Yet it is luck that kept the angry beasts from tearing our boats and drowning us. Some would say it is because we have the skill to hunt them given to us by our fathers, yet our wives and children still worry until we come home. We have not needed to fight a war for many generations so our father could not teach us. Your father called the elves but others heard that call. The elves came and all looked dark and fearful but in the end you had the wisdom to listen to them. You do not like the one called Thane but you had the wisdom given you by your father and you listened to Thane’s words and he taught us war. If all that has happened to us had not angered you and had you not used that anger to take you into battle we would not be here now. Now you know how to lead us and you will know what to do if the black ones come again. But as usual you want to brood so you can call it luck if you choose but I say you led us to a great victory. Our people are safe and I hope that your anger has taught you something you needed to know and made you a stronger and better man. So now we can teach our children how to fight the black ones or evil men who come to steal from us and they will teach their children. The elders will respect you even if you make a mistake. The people will stand with you and so will I. Agh, you’ve given me a headache. Go away or brood more quietly I need to sleep.”

Nerrivik’s head felt as if it had been cloven in two and then sewn together. He needed rest and he knew that sleep was the best medicine, though a little wine would have helped. As if Burodan had read Nerrivik’s mind he laid a small wine skin down beside his him and gently rested his hand on him.

“Sleep long and well my brother.”
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2011 07:45
It had come as a massive surprise that she had missed the cantankerous ellon as much as she did, but as Lindir released her in favor of looking over Sirion and Thane crushed her into a bear hug, she felt about as happy to see him as she was Lindir. As they started back towards Burodan’s camp, she grudgingly lay down on the litter besides Sirion. Ostensibly it was to keep him warm and from rolling off, but she knew that was an excuse to get her to lay down and rest, when she did sleep came almost immediately.

Her dreams were not of the orc camp like they had been of late- they were black, blank and cold- almost as if she were aware of the nothingness. Until it started to engulf her, she twisted; trying to escape, and suddenly it was gone. Her eyes opened, which caught Lindir’s attention. They had stopped for a rest. After exchanging a few words, she closed her eyes again and listened to the two other ellon discuss something quietly. She lay there, dozing off to the sound of their murmurs and Sirion’s slow but thankfully steady heartbeat. Mithennor hadn’t realized she had drifted off again until she felt herself being shook awake by Lindir, who was forcing some more of the cursed orc drink down her throat. She managed to choke some down before pushing it away.

“Never again. Never. I do not care if I am dying the next time, I will not drink it again” She finally managed to croak out after her coughs subsided. She didn’t mean to take it out on Lindir; but drinking the brew felt wrong. He gave her a look that was hard to interpret but he did not force any more on her, choosing instead to stand and aid Thane in pulling the litter back to the camp.
Though after the drink, she felt her muscle loosen, though it wasn’t a thoroughly comfortable sensation; it felt more liked the knots had been pulled out. She wanted nothing more than to get up and walk alongside the pair that pulled her and Sirion, but she knew that any effort would be met with protests. Being cared for frustrated her, but she reasoned that if she rested until they caught back up to the camp, then they couldn’t complain later and she would have a valid counter argument against further attempts to coddle her. She dozed off periodically, but was woken up by the occasional jolt, or on the rare occasion that Sirion stirred.
Eventually the bleak miles yielded up the camp on the horizon with only minimal difficulty. They were greeted with wan smiles which melted quickly away as they spotted the litter with its two passengers. Mithennor brushed off the attention easily as it was turned to Sirion. They brought him into the tent along with the few others that had been more seriously injured. A cursory inspection told them nothing new about his condition and she caught Thane’s eyes worriedly. Hours passed, before he started to stir again. Lindir spoke first. Sirion tried to sit up and tried to push them away as everyone converged on him. She held his arms down for a moment as he tried to speak before he lapsed once more into unconsciousness. As he did, Mithennor tried to wake him again, but failing to do so, she looked up at her other companions, not sure what else to say as she felt frustration and worry well up inside; her emotions echoed on their faces.
“What do we do now?” They couldn’t sit around for very long, but Sirion needed rest and to remain still, Lindir too. But the palantir- her face blanched as her hand flew to where she had been keeping it, she fumbled around in the extra fabric, turning her back upon the other ellon as she reached inside her tunic to search.

“It’s gone… I had found it and now it’s gone” her voice was low, but shaky. She stood up and faced the pair, Lindir putting a calming hand on her shoulder as he patted the bag that held the palantir. She felt relief as she suddenly realized something, and a small spark of indignation started to rise; Lindir must have sensed it because he then quickly explained how it had rolled out on its own accord. She tried to grin sheepishly, but it came out as tired. Thane chortled over the whole affair, but when they gave pause to consider the question she raised a few moments of silence while they all thought about the situation.
Sirion started to stir again and Lindir moved to his side, Mithennor moved a step closer to Thane, and added in a quieter tone “and Lindir isn’t fully healed yet either, can we spare a few days…?”
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 24, 2011 08:20
“Now would be the time to run south,” Thane mused. “The enemy is scattered and leaderless, and the rain has stopped its downpour.” He looked to Sirion then, and even to Lindir. “But I do not think we would make it past the Ice Bay on our own strength.”

“Try not to lose the stone this time Lindir. If in doubt, just remember that Mithennor found a nice safe place for it.” Thane said, still chuckling under his breath. “I will speak with Burodan. He seems to be under the impression that we would leave once the palantir was found.” The ellon ducked under the tent flap and left.

Sirion had been their first priority when they had finally returned to the devastated war camp, and so Thane was actually unsure of where Burodan might be. He took to just peeking inside random tents at first, but his strange friendship with the lossoth tribesmen meant that he was offered food whenever he did so. Burodan stressed Thane to no end, and it made the prospect of solid food less desirable. Eventually he gave up and simply asked for directions. He found the new chieftain sitting in a tent with his cousin. Burodan seemed to be deep in his own thoughts and the ellon knew that his temper could go one of two ways if disturbed. Thane shrugged to himself as if it did not matter.

“If you are no longer battling the enemy, I would speak with you.” Thane said, clearing his throat to announce his own presence.

“If you have your prize already, I would see you out of the north to avoid conversation altogether.” Burodan grumbled.

Thane nodded and decided to get right to the point. “We also have wounded. Unless you’d rather we left them in your care. I need a day or two.”

“You ask so humbly, Elf.”

“I see it does not do to cater towards you. You shall be a hard ruler to please, Burodan.”

The chieftain grunted something in his own language that Thane imagined could not have been very nice and then waved the ellon away. Thane decided to take what he could get and left. He tried to return to the healing tent, but found that Lindir and Mithennor were gone. A healer gave him directions to where his friends were staying and he set off, hopefully for the last time.

No more messenger’s work, Thane thought sullenly to himself as he crossed the camp ground. He found the two in a tent of their own, and sat down next to the fire they had just started. The half elf realized just how cold he actually was when he finally relaxed, and began immediately stripping off his wet clothing. He stayed naked to the waist for Mithennor’s sake, and hung up the rest of his clothes to dry.

“We are allowed a couple days of rest.” Thane said once they had all settled in. “But they would rather the palantir gone within the hour.” The ellon couldn’t blame them. He sat quietly by the fire for awhile, emptying his boots of water as he wrung his socks out obsessively. “Now it’s up to the healers to stitch Sirion up as best they can so we can escape this fall chill.”
Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 31, 2011 06:23
“We are allowed a couple days of rest.” Thane said once they had all settled in. “But they would rather the palantir gone within the hour.”

“But they would rather the palantir gone within the hour.” The comment rankled Lindir. “What did they expect?” He said in an angry tone. “They knew what they had, or guessed at it and put out the call for aid to every man and beast. All of us have come close to death trying to mitigate the Lossoth’s losses and this is what we receive in return. Fools! Had they sent a message directly to Lord Elrond we would of had none of this. All the misfortune that has come upon them they have brought upon themselves. Were it not for Thane’s efforts their warriors would be food for orc and maggots alike, their women and children enslaved. Shaking the dust of this place from my boots will not come soon enough.” Lindir got up and tossed the tent flap aside and walked out.

Lindir walked out of the camp and looked about the for a hill or high point somewhere but was disappointed. Nothing but bogs and flat open tundra for as far as the elf’s eyes could see. He walked for some time and paid no heed to the distance he covered. He went on until he came across a large stone with its head perturbing up out of the tundra on which he unceremoniously sat. The sun was setting earlier these days and the darkness lasted for a good five hours. The stars were the same but there was a difference in them. They seemed much brighter and closer, if that was even possible. He knew them all and he had always turned to them when troubled.

He watched the stars for hours and after a bit he began to hum tunes he remembered from the days of his youth in Valinor. Those memories he always found soothing. The night slipped by and as the sky began to turn the colours of the pre dawn he said, “Aure Entuluva.” (Day shall come again!) “Auta I Lome!” (Night is passing!) He spoke softly recalling the words spoken by Hurin at the battle of Nirnaeth Aarnoediad. They were words spoken when Hurin’s hope was anewd and Lindir knew that he and the others would come through this too. The Palantir would leave these lands for the West and they would then return to Imladris and see what fate had in store for them then. Would he leave these lands or stay a while longer? This was a question he could not answer but with either outcome he was at peace.

It took him three hours to make it back to the camp. No one challenged him when he approached the camp leaving him to wonder what would happen if an orc approached the camp. Outside the tent flap he was surprised to see the white staff that had been given to him by Anterion. He had assumed that the flood had taken it to the sea and he hadn’t bothered to look for it. He took the solid staff in hand and felt a suddenly rush as if hit by a gust of wind, he felt refreshed, as though he’d slept for days. The others were all awake eating a breakfast provided by the Lossoth. He smiled and greeted everyone hoping to dispel any notion that he was still in the bitter mood of the night before. He was urged to join them but declined because there was something he had to do.

Lindir knelt beside Sirion and proceeded to open Sirion’s tunic and inspected the wound he’d receive from the orc’s blade. The wound itself was healing well. The Lossoth knew well the healing arts but what ailed Sirion was much deeper. The orc blade had left more than a flesh wound on Sirion. Lindir held tight the staff and began calling Sirion as one would if looking for someone who is lost in the forest.

“Sirion, lasto beth nîn, tolo dan nan galad, “Sirion, lasto beth nîn, tolo dan nan galad.” He waited for a moment and Sirion stirred. He called louder now in a more commanding voice. “Sirion, lasto beth nîn, tolo dan nan galad. (Translation: Sirion hear my voice, come back to [the] light.) He called again loudly this time invoking the name of the Valar. Once again he called and commanded it in Eru’s name. Sirion stirred again and began to mumble in Elvish. One more time Lindir called, a little more softly, and Sirion’s eyes opened. His eyes were tired but they were clear. There was no dark shadow covering them or his thoughts.

“Our brother has returned to us.” He announced. “He is no longer lost in the shadows of Carn Dum. The poison of the orc blade has been drawn and his spirit is amoung the living once again.”

“Water.” Was Sirion’s first word and a instant later Mithennor was at his side with a tin cup helping him to drink.

“I believe we will be able to move in two days.” Lindir told Thane quietly. “I’d be surprised if he wasn’t up by the end of the day, half that time if Mithennor has anything to say about it.” He left the tent and walked to the edge of the camp and just looked out over the tundra. For the first time in a week he actually felt good.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 02, 2011 07:31
(Alright, here goes nothing! If edits are needed, I'm happy to oblige!)

A cold fierce wind played across the landscape, catching Idhrenniel’s hair and clothes, causing her to shiver violently. She lay on the frigid ground, barely conscious after the flash flood unexpectedly crashed into foes and allies, dealing death indiscriminately to creatures and people alike. One minute she had been fighting alongside Lindir on the rise, moving harmoniously in her own way; the next, an enormous wall of frothing water, taller than the elleth, collided with her, dragging Idhren downhill, almost to the sea. She had lost sight of her friends and the Lossoth. Her only companions seemed to be the floating corpses of friends and enemies, the setting sun, miscellaneous carnage left over from battle, and the occasional scavenger bird.

Idhren took stock of her surroundings before the sun fell below the horizon-well, as much as it could-and darkened the sky. She lifted her head and saw she was about a hundred yards from the sea. No living thing could be seen with the exception of the birds, and Idhren could not comprehend how long she had lain there. Lifting her limbs one by one, the elleth determined she had suffered no broken, sprained, or fractured limbs, but a blade of some sort had shorn her tunic from her left shoulder down to her right hip. It hung on her like an old rag. Fortunately she wore an undershirt for extra warmth, but being made of thin material, the cold soaked in. Red and black blood caked almost every remaining surface, including her face and hair. Idhren felt a large gash over her eye and another on her arm, but the blood had already congealed. All in all, though not unscathed, Idhren fared better than many.

Scrambling to her feet, the elleth tried calling out for help. “Lindir!” Idhren cried, her voice hoarse and rough. She stumbled as she fought to move uphill away from the water. Retrieving her weapons, which miraculously had not disappeared, her slippery steps led her inland. “Lindir!” her voice echoed slightly. She knew she should not draw unnecessary attention to herself, especially in her weakened state, but Idhren reasoned that a friend could just as likely answer her as an enemy. Being almost complete, she should have some energy to fight off a threat. “Mithennor! Thane! Sirion!” Her cries rolled off the water and across the distant hills, but no responses were forthcoming. Well, that was a slight fallacy. A small orc, a knife through his broad chest, screeched in agony and grappled with the intrusive weapon. Idhren’s keen eyes picked him out immediately. His eyes widened in fear as he caught sight of the elleth. He reached out to her imploringly and screeched again. Idhren considered him, almost pitied him. But something had changed in her demeanor during the fight. Orcs had been the group’s bane for most of the journey, causing anxiety, death, destruction, the loss of what many held dear. She smiled sardonically, notched an arrow to her ready bow, and released the taut string. A thud sounded as the arrow embedded itself into the orc’s throat. He gurgled and fell forward, lifeless. Idhren recovered her arrow and checked the wind. It was a northeasterly, bringing hints of snow. It wouldn’t snow, she knew, but the temperatures were dropping quickly in the twilight. The dampness on her clothes could freeze solid, encrusting her in a layer of ice which would quickly spell Idhren’s end.

The elleth fumbled around and began to strip bodies of any suitable clothing, albeit dirty or damp. There was always time to dry them in front of a fire. She managed to gain a new tunic, waterproof boots, and even a thick cloak she took from a fallen Lossoth. Silently Idhren prayed to the Valar and any other spirits in thanks and gratitude for such clothing. Wanting to put some distance between herself and the sad scene that surrounded her, she made for the direction she thought the others would have gone. In the diminishing light, her keen senses detected some human footprints, and it was these she followed. But as the sun finally darkened the sky beyond the point of clear sight, Idhren settled to light a fire and rest. She gathered some dry wood that had washed up on land and set flint to tinder. It was a smokeless fire, but it warmed her. Idhren dozed lightly, too exhausted to even be physically tired. It didn’t help her thoughts were in a turmoil. What a feckless journey this had been! she ranted internally. People were slain, homes and ways of lives destroyed…and for what?

Of course, she mused with a smile, she had found Lindir. Whether he made his decision to return to Valinor across the seas or to remain, she would go with him without question. And her friends. She couldn’t bear the thought of leaving them either. They had suffered much together, been beaten, bruised, and batted around too much to separate easily. But perhaps they hadn’t formed attachments as easily as she had. Thane especially was prone to solitude, but such was his personality.

The next morning, Idhren awoke, not well-rested, but drier than she had been. The sun cast bright rays of warm sunlight. Even in this hell-ridden region in the north, the sun brought a sliver of hope to the elleth. She continued doggedly throughout the day at a steady pace, not wanting to needlessly expend energy. The trail, however obscure, remained constant with no surprises, as if her quarry had been as dogged as she was. Soon, however, Idhren became bone-weary again. Her head and arm throbbed even though she had dressed the wounds carefully using what little supplies remained and watching herself in the shimmering reflection of the standing water. Slowly but surely the miles passed, bringing the elleth ever closer to some destination. And, as the sun began to fall that night, a flurry of lights came into her line of vision. With a gleeful cry, Idhren sped up her pace and began singing cheerfully, relieved some were alive. They appeared friendly from the glances and nods the men gave. They were the Lossoth, and she anticipated it wouldn’t be too long before she found the other elleths and ellons.

At long last, Idhren sighted what appeared to be familiar profiles silhouetted against flickering firelight. “Aiya!” she cried as she trotted into the camp to see some familiar faces.

[Edited on 6/3/2011 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 10, 2011 08:00
As the battle ended, the lossoth worked quickly to put an end to any remaining orcs found in the area. The north itself seemed, for the moment, cleansed of its sudden and ever-growing pestilence. As far as the palantir was concerned, the tribesmen felt as if this burden was no longer in their hands even if it had not yet left their camp. Two days passed slowly before Burodan sent out half of his remaining guard to travel as swiftly as they could to their migrating families. The new Chieftain might have been green to his title, but he was not fool enough to leave his wife, sons and relations unguarded for longer than needed. All the surviving tribesmen who were allowed to travel home were all too willing to put their recently made graveyard behind them. They had been given two days to honor their dead, and now it was time to mourn in the comforts of their homeland.

The elves stayed with the remaining lossoth in the few days that followed, regaining their strength and making what plans they could to ready themselves for the last, and perhaps most dangerous, part of their journey. Having assumed that Idhrenniel had been helping in the healers tent after the battle, the group was overjoyed to see her well and in their company once more. They would need her now in the weeks to come, just as they had always needed her.

It had not been enough for Sirion to stay where he was for only a few days, even with the aid he had received from Lindir. The elves decided that they would stay as long as was needed by their friend, and if Burodan was wroth, they would let him remain so. Thane, being the least battered and broken member of their group, was left to do the grunt work. He piled together provisions needed for their long trek home, but was mindful not to ask for anything he took. The ellon was sick and tired of Burodan and his headstrong demeanor. Thane decided that he would rather be a thief, than play lackey to the Chieftain. Nothing anyone told him could make the half elf return to Burodan’s tent, not even to say farewell. As far as Thane was concerned, the faster they left the tribes, the better.

When the day finally came for the elves to set out, Burodan sent one of his men to summon Thane before their departure. The ellon had chased the tribesman off with a few choice words and refused to see the Chieftain at all. He insisted that if anyone should speak for them, it should be Lindir. He was the group diplomat after all. But Burodan had not asked for Lindir, and in the end Thane had skulked his way back to the main tent out of misplaced curiosity.

“I wish you luck on your journey, Elf.” Burodan had said gruffly when Thane finally appeared. His tone suggested that he was insincere.

“I am certain that you do. Now will that be all? There is a long road to be walked and I daresay you have been fine practice for the hardships ahead.”

Burodan pinched at bridge of his nose and took a deep breath, as if to be suppressing his temper. “Some of my men have spread rumors about the day you sat in council with our elders.” He continued quickly.

“Yes yes, and your wife kept kicking me in the arse throughout the entire affair. My words were her words, but I’m sure you know that already. You did marry the woman.”

Restraint was not an option for Burodan where his wife and strange men were concerned and he stood in his fury, screaming curses at the half elf who, in turn, returned them just as fervently. It took some time for the two to finally settle, but when they did, Burodan had to take a minute to remember why he had summoned the ellon in the first place.

“As I was trying to say,” the Chieftain grumbled wearily. “I was told you promised support in the years to come.”

Thane paused for a moment. If he had promised anything, it had been an act of desperation and he did not now remember it.

Burodan noted the ellon’s silence. “I thought as much.”

“As much as I have enjoyed our time together, I’m afraid these long weeks have rolled into one.”

“Carn Dum.” Burodan reminded, studying Thane. “You promised to clear out the enemy. Is it not a soldier’s duty to finish the job?”

Thane had known at the time that he did not possess the power to authorize such an act, and it worried him then just as much as it worried him now. “Soldiers do not decide when or where they will die. That privilege is left to our commanders. And because I am not a high ranking man I am afraid my own soul is not in my own keeping.”

“I do not follow you.”

“Burodan I do not own one soul, much less the thousands required to restore Carn Dum. I cannot help you this time.”

The Cheiftain remained silent for once and Thane, unsure of how to properly end the conversation, simply turned to leave.

“Wait, Elf.” Burodan said sternly. Thane turned to regard the lossoth Chieftain. “Tell your lords of our troubles. The men of the south cleared the fortress out once.” He stood and began scribbling a note on a piece of parchment, his final plea for reinforcements. It took him longer to write than it normally might have, as he utilized the common tongue. Burodan sealed it as best he could and passed the letter on to Thane. “The first half is for Lord Elrond. The second is for this commander you speak so highly of.”

Thane was puzzled and it showed plainly on his face.

“You did well here, Elf.” Burodan said quietly and it appeared to cause him great discomfort. “I write to your betters in hopes that when you return, they shall see fit to return your soul… and perhaps grant you a few new ones.”

“How touching, Burodan, you petition for my promotion?”

“Try not to sound so ungrateful. I petition simply for the safety of my people. Remember that.”

Thane looked down at the letter in his hand and shoved it gently into his tunic. “Farewell Burodan. Perhaps one day we will meet on terms that do not include bloodshed.”

“You are a carrion crow by nature, Elf. I would not count on that. Now get you gone.”

Thane took his leave as quick as he could. By the time he returned to his friends, their tent was collapsed and their packs shouldered. When they asked him what Burodan had wanted, he told them only of the lossoth’s need to see Carn Dum collecting dust. The letter remained privately tucked away, as well as the lie that Thane had created. The men of the south had their own wars to fight. Wars that Thane meant to return to. Even the elves were stretched thin these days. No one was coming to fight a second time for the nomadic people of the north. No matter how many times Thane said they would.

Normally Thane kept to the back of their line, but today he was the first to pick up his things and go.

The sooner we get home, the better, he repeated to himself over and over as the long walk south began.

Fennuir
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 12, 2011 09:46
(Sorry it's on the short side)

As Lindir stood at the edge of the village he saw a lone figure walking towards the East. It was a only a few leagues in distance but it was too far to make out friend or foe in the failing light. He remained and watched as the figure slowly made it way to the camp. It was no orc or uruk in it stature or gait so likely a Lossoth warrior making his way back. He was disappointed. A sudden pang went through his heart as he thought of Idhren and his grief returned and flooded his thoughts. Downcast he turn and walked away joining the others by the fire. Idhren was lost.

Idhren had been swept away in the torrent of water and try as he might Lindir was not able to find any sign of her. It had been days since then and he’d given up all hope. Finally the time to return South was near. In a few days they would be going South to walk once again in the forests of Hemlock, Pine and Fir. The sounds of rushing streams and rivers for Lindir would only remind him of his loss. He felt guilty about leaving without her and never knowing her fate.

They sat quiet around the fire away from the Lossoth with their own thoughts and grief. It was nearly dark when a familiar cry was heard and Idhren ran into the fire light. Lindir jumped up and picked her up and held her close kissing her several times. They both wept tears of joy and laughed at the same time. Once everyone’s rejoicing ended Idhren told her harrowing tale of survival after being almost swept out to sea. It appear that most of the orcs caught up in the rush, being unable to swim, were lost in the water’s furry, an orc’s worst nightmare.

The last two days rolled by quickly and the elven company with Adûn made ready to leave. Thane, having been summoned by Burodan, returned without a word and grabbed his pack and walked out of the camp. Lindir wondered what words had passed between them but by the look on Thane’s face it was not a fond farewell. Many of the Lossoth came out and thanked the Southerners for saving them fore they realised that they would either be dead or slaves had the Elves and Adûn not come to their aid. Thane walked ahead and kept a set a quick pace not stopping for any word of thanks from the tribes people. Sirion walked with Mithennor, Lindir and Idhren next with Adûn beside them. None of them were sorry to leave the North but it would be a few days before they would finally leave the undulating tundra behind them. Early snow fell as they moved on but there was still some strength in the sun and it melted away as soon as it touched the ground. They move on quickly the first day putting many leagues between them and the Lossoth.

[Edited on 14/6/2011 by Fennuir]
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: June 21, 2011 12:34
Mithennor was the first of their party to leave, so she stood at the top of a small hillock and marveled as the camp that looked almost permanent was dismantled in rather short order. She was joined not much longer by the other’s, excepting Thane. Sirion still seemed a little unsteady on his feet, but was better than any of the other healer’s had hoped given his injuries and the time allowed. She felt a stab of pity as she saw Thane head towards Burodan’s tent.
The look on Thane’s face as they finally departed was that of bleak determination… and acceptance of some sort. She still was near Sirion’s side, as she had been since he awoke and started staying in the waking world. The camp was somber, but almost expectant, many eyes fastened upon Thane’s back as they left.
The small band of elves was quiet as they left; Mithennor’s own thoughts were occupied with her plans upon their return, as far off as it might be. The miles slowly started to mount behind them, one or two attempts to make conversation had been started, but none lasted aside from the quiet comments between Lindir and Idhren.
Thane was absorbed in his own thoughts as Mithennor approached him.
“Here” she held out a wineskin with Burodan’s mark on it. Thane stared at it as though he ‘d not seen one before, he looked up at her- She shrugged “Burodan should keep a closer eye on his belongings”
The emotions flickered across Thane’s face so fast she couldn’t read them before the familiar expression took over-
“Thank you, Sweeting. Can you open it for me? I like it when my women pour my wine."
She scowled as she threw it at his feet and left for Sirion’s company once more, muttering angrily to herself, she was almost tempted to turn around and see what his expression was, but . The other’s had heard the exchange, but said nothing, atleast not that Mithennor’s ears caught. The mood had not improved any after that, even as they set up for camp.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: June 22, 2011 06:37
Home.

It became clear as the group trudged along southwards that morale was low. Personally, Idhrenniel desired nothing more than to completely forget all that had happened over the last few weeks, especially those harrowing moments where all seemed lost. She almost laughed at the irony that only the brute force of nature truly saved them as easily as it could have killed them. The stories that the elleths would tell their comrades upon their eventual return to Imladris or elsewhere would hardly be believable.

Home.

Perhaps that was the only thing that was driving them. They barely spoke. Lindir and Idhren held hands and muttered occasional words, but beyond that, the elleths were as silent as shadows in an ebony-coated night. Mithennor walked with Sirion, who had been reacting to the light remarkably well. Idhren was glad beyond words he survived and would recover slowly but surely. Thane had resumed his isolated demeanor, hardly seeking company. Some negative interaction had taken place between him and the Lossoth leader Burodan. Indeed, his facial expressions mirrored storm clouds when he had returned to the group that day.

Home.

Onward they walked, taking rests as needed, scouting out the terrain, making sure their surroundings were passable. The land slowly changed from the rocky tundra and descended into greener valleys and rises. But it became apparent that they had begun to lose track of the days. What energy they spared when to sleeping and walking. Idhren silently likened them all to cattle heading to their shelters for the night. She desperately craved a change of pace, some sort of conversation, some light in their seemingly never-ending tunnel of gloom.

Home.

Then one day about a week after they left their desolate camp in the North, a thought struck her. Idhrenniel knew one way to lighten the atmosphere, and that was by singing. Surely she knew a good homeward-bound traveling song. Remembering a song she had encountered in her travels, Idhren began to sing lightly, quietly in an effort to raise their spirits, if not to encourage conversation:

“When will you return, my darling, are you homeward bound?
See the golden sun a-smiling, warming up the ground,
Here I stand and wait my beauty, though ‘tis getting late,
Listening for the weary feet, a-marching to my gate.

What if the sky goes dark! Well, I’ll let a light for you a lamp!
So I’ll see you coming, dear. Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!

Are the drums a-beating bravely, o’er the lonely moor?
Are you thinking of your mother, standing at the door?
Do the banners stream out boldly, have the days been long?
Are you marching down the road, listening for my song?

So I’ll see you coming, dear. Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!

Is that a dusty cloud arising, out across the plain?
Is that me bonny rover, come back to me again?
O Mother, turn the blankets down, and put the kettle on,
I’ve sung him home, no more to roam, my only one.

So I’ll see you coming, dear. Tramp! Tramp! Tramp!”

(This was taken from the book Taggerung by the late and great Brian Jacques with some modifications..)

[Edited on 6/23/2011 by Dinenlasse]
"There is no such thing as a geek, just those who love things the rest of humanity finds weird."
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 10, 2011 05:42
Leadership had been something the half elf had craved since leaving Imladris for the first time to join the southern shield. He hated being a leashed dog of war! It had seemed so much more practical in his youth to be the man who held the leash. Thane’s advancement in the ranks had been denied to him so many times, he had eventually refused himself the hope of bettering his life. His first taste of command had been back in Carn Dum, and the experience left him physically sick. Since then he had assumed that there was not much left for him in his life. Thane knew where his place in the world was, why couldn’t he just be content with that? Now Burodan offered to elevate him from his role as a mindless, soulless peon as if it was the easiest thing in the world to do!

What if his quiet tribesman voice so far off in the north meant as little to the southern war bands as it did to Thane? He felt conflicted, wanting to hope that some good could come of this even though that road had led him to disappointment so many times before. The half elf seriously considered tearing up the letter that still sat safe against his chest in the folds of his northern furs. If part of the message hadn’t been for Elrond Halfelven, Thane would have done so the minute Burodan sealed the cursed thing.

Burodan aside, there was no other reason for his commanders to promote him. He was headstrong at the best of times, and if this latest trip was any testament to his life, Thane’s idiocy knew no bounds. In Imladris where his heritage was often politely overlooked he was half an elf, and a rowdy one at that. But in the world of men he was half a man, a cripple, in more ways than one. Somehow Thane preferred the latter title, at least it was honest. The ellon had never denied that he was a drunkard, in the same way that most of his peers encouraged the habit. Even Mithennor had started to pity him, passing on drink as if it was a gift from on high. It wasn’t in him to refuse, and he hated himself because of it. Thane could not see how any part of his life so far would lead him into captain’s stripes.

Thane sat quietly next to Adun one night as they all pushed through a cold dinner of smoked fish and bread, compliments of the lossoth. The half elf was not naturally passive aggressive, but even now it seemed as if his mood had spread to his companions. Try as even Idrenniel might to raise morale, there was nothing cold food and a colder bed wouldn’t destroy. As he took first watch, and the others went to sleep, Adun followed Thane to his spot away from the camp. The ranger carried the palantir in the bag that Lindir had placed it in, and pushed it into Thane’s arms.

“Perhaps it is best if this stays under close watch. It has been lost to us once before.”

Thane nodded and dropped the bag by his feet where he sat.

Adun raised an eyebrow at this. “You watch with one eye open, Thane.” He said, noting the half elf’s distraction.

“Consider it safer than watching with both eyes closed. Go to sleep, Adun.” Thane and Adun had spent hardly any time together. In fact, the ranger had not even been cleared by Lord Elrond to be on this venture, but his uses had come to light. Thane, who didn’t care to be lectured, found Adun tiresome at the moment.

The ranger nodded, but didn’t turn to leave. “Mithennor is not Burodan.” He said, guessing what was on the half elf’s mind. “And neither are the rest of us. You should not have snapped at her.” Adun found a rock to sit on not far from Thane.

Thane ground his teeth together, feeling slightly stressed. “I know.”

Adun nodded and said nothing for a little while, knowing that Thane was easily angered. Instead, he got up and opened the bag at Thane’s feet, placing the exposed palantir on top of it.

“What are you doing?” Thane said as he stood and took a couple steps back. He hadn’t really noticed before how intently the ranger had been eyeing that particular pack.

“Aren’t you curious?” he replied, staring into the cold stone.

Thane knew that on a small level Adun was something of a scholar, learned in things that most men didn’t bother to remember. He himself had never been interested in the palantir… but now that he saw it, there was something there. Thane felt a pull towards the stone now, subtle at first, but it grew in strength as Adun ran a hand over its surface. “Adun, I’m not sure that this is a good idea.”

“Just a moment! My people have kept books on these devices. I would look on one. To see what is happening in distant lands! Lands we do not need to even ride to. Lands that would see the Dunedain erased from Middle Earth. It is an amazing concept!”

Thane thought about it for a moment. It would be interesting to see what was going on in his regiment back home. To see if he should bother to return, or if he did indeed have some chance at promotion or if his commanders even thought of him at all. He took a step forward, noting the level of dread in his heart. “Adun… I do not think…” he forced himself to take a step back, knowing that this was not a good idea. He studied the ranger, who was no longer even aware that Thane was around. They were sent on this mission to rid the world of the palantir! This could not be a good thing.

The half elf snapped out of his trance and took action. He kicked the kneeling Adun over and threw the bag on top of the stone.

“Why?” he asked incredulously. “Just a little longer and I could have—“

“Could have what? Been seen by the enemy and alerted them to our whereabouts?”

“Could have saved my people some loss!”

Thane wrapped the bag up tightly and placed it out of sight. “We were not sent to use the stone.” The ellon refused to hear anymore on the matter, and after some resistance from the ranger, Thane finally had silence when Adun went to bed. He sat alone with his thoughts for some time before his shift was over. He woke Lindir as soon as he could, but was too weary to even discuss the matter of Adun. Instead of passing the palantir on, he took the bag to his bed roll and tucked it against his stomach where he lay. He felt it was safer there, somehow. Or perhaps it was just a false sense of security, as Thane now felt the stone’s pull in his mind, temptation ever present even as he slept.

Naucoaran
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 29, 2011 05:08
After being sent away, Adun took on a sullen mood. He eventually made his way to the sleeping mat he had set up earlier and settled down to try and get some rest before their journey continued. For some time, sleep eluded him. It was as if every time he tried to grab it, sleep slid through his fingers to be lost again. Eventually fatigue took him, and the ranger fell into a slumber that held shadows. Images flitted through his mind, visions he saw through the stone. There was a revelation around the corner. If he had only a little more time, then he could find it. The fate of his people could be changed, their dwindling numbers stopped.

He saw the ability to see the battlefield from all sides, to be able to adapt to your enemies movements as they make them. Knowledge to save not just his people, but all the free peoples who fight the shadow. Why was that so bad a thing to achieve? His intentions were only pure, he had no selfish motives. It was all Thane's fault, he would not see what Adun could. He had not seen what Adun had. Countless secrets were locked inside that smooth stone and they had everything they needed to get them. Thane was standing in the way, for what reasons Adun didn't know. He had to show the others what Thane was keeping them from.

Morning came, and Adun expected a tongue-lashing from the elves, but it never came. Either they were waiting till alter to scold him, or Thane had neglected to tell the others of what had transpired the previous night. He noticed Thane had slept with the palantir tucked into his stomach before the half-elf woke, and throughout the day he didn't share the burden with anyone else. As night began to fall and camp was set up again, Adun watched Thane from the corner of his eye. He had not set the stone down once, and if it continued like this then the half-elf would be protective over the stone like this till they returned to the city.

The ranger decided then not to mention the stone to Thane; if it was a single occurrence then perhaps he would think nothing of it. He would need to convince the others that Thane could not be trusted with the stone, it was the only way to get it back to find the answers he needed. That night he stayed up with Sirion as he took watch. They began talking lightly about plans after they returned to Imlandris, about how they would need to let the elves know of the large presence of orcs in the north, and how the lands beyond their reach have grown darker than they had thought. After some time of talking, Adun shifted the subject. "Thane had been agitated these last few days. His mind seems preoccupied with something."

Sirion grew silent for a moment before nodding consent. "He has a lot to think about." the ellon replied, stirring some dirt with one of his feet.

"If he continues like this, he could become unstable, we all know he has been prone to rash decisions before when he's been like this." through it all Sirion was nodding, albeit somewhat hesitantly. He had had his quarrels with Thane, everyone had, but he was still a friend. "My point is, Sirion, is Thane reliable enough to watch over the Palantir? He hasn't let it out of his grasp for days." The ellon sat silently, and Adun took the moment to excuse himself. "I'll leave you to think, I may have spoken out of turn." He said simply, and left to his mat. The seeds he planted had to grow; he needed Thane away from the stone. He needed his answers; his people were at more risk with each day.
Carandra
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 13, 2011 05:14
Mithennor stretched in the sunlight, her bare feet tracing her path through the patches of elanor and niphredil, the mallorn trees overhead like great pillars. This was her favorite part of the woods; a small hillock at the end of a small depression in the woods. Though today the sun didn't seem to hold the warmth it usually did, it seemed diminished. Everything did, she noticed. As if through a fog.

Normally, this small hill brought her peace, a feeling of contentment. But as she wandered through the trees, she was unable to shake the feeling that she was being followed- a small dark miasma seemed to lurk out of the corner of her vision. As she hurried down the paths towards an unknown destination it seemed to grow, becoming more menacing. Eventually she quickened her pace to the point of almost running... the shadows overcame her

at that point her nightmares continued in their more usual manner, if they could be called such. But the manner of her dreaming made it easier to rouse herself before too long. She spent the last few hours before they left quietly rolled in her blankets, deep in no particular thoughts, but still puzzling about her dream.

Their journey continued on as it had the past while. Thane seemed to have renewed his sulking, though there was almost a sense of preoccupation about him, which surprised her. But the miles melted away in silence, she thought about trying to talk to Idhren again, the silence seemed to grate on her the most, but Mithennor wasn't sure what to say.

It was a great surprise when Adun came up to her as there were some murmurs about stopping for camp for the evening.

"He shouldn't have snapped at you"
She gave the man a look that tried to be discerning or atleast attentive, but probably came off as cross. Adun seemed to try a different approach while engaging her in conversation-
"you yourself seem to be a preoccupied, does his disdain bother you?"

She gave him a level stare and a terse "no"

"He also seems to be preoccupied, more so as of late"
She said nothing as he continued- " ever since he took guard of the palantir... " he trailed off.

"I'm sure he has mettle that you're not aware of, it may be that he...." she trailed off as well... oddly not out of a desire to smear his honer, such that it was, but she was recalling her time with the palantir, and the dark draw that the stone had on her, the pulling to stare into its depths and fall in... she shook her head clear of those thoughts.

she faced Adun "leave the matter be, it does not do to dwell on it" But as her thoughts shifted to some new vein of thought, her eyes flicked to the ellon in question before almost immediately going back to the figure in front of her. She studied his face for a moment

"Let the others know that I'll take first watch tonight, alright?" he nodded and left to tell Thane and Lindir of her decision. She didn't turn to see their reaction. As Adun had left, she wasn't sure but she thought there may have been the briefest flicker of... almost triumph. But it could have been a trick of the light. She moved aways off from the camp, listening to the others shift and settle down for the night.

Eventually everyone drifted to sleep, she could hear it in their breathing... and soon, Thane started to thrash in his sleep. She turned to watch him for a moment, almost wanting to wake him to spare him the nightmares, but they'd only return, and he needed the sleep... she also was not in the mood to deal with his temper. She pursed her lips together as she drew her cloak closer around her.

No one spoke about it, but she hoped that her own bad dreams weren't so... evident. Lost in thoughts about the concerns Adun raised, the orcs that seem to have multiplied unchecked, and her own plans, she stayed up more than half the night, the time only being brought to her attention as she realized that the sky was starting to lighten faintly along the horizon.

She heard someone stir, rise, and approach her, which was why she wasn't startled as hand placed itself on her shoulder, she turned her face to see to whom it belonged-

(((ooc: and I'm back! sorry I've been AWOL.
So... who is it that woke up? )))
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2011 05:48
((JP by Carandra and I. Dinen get on already!!!!!!!!!))

Sleep was a luxury that Thane was seldom afforded. He always awoke feeling sore, like he had been beaten during the night. More often than naught he would just lie still on his mat, resting lightly but dreading the moment he would fall into a dream. As the morning light slowly started to creep across the landscape, Thane rolled out from under his blanket. Tonight was obviously not the night for rest and it was frustrating trying to make it so. Thane stretched and walked around the camp, trying his best not to disturb anyone. His hands immediately sought for the satchel that was tied to his hip. The satchel that held the palantir. The half elf realized that he found the presence of the stone oddly comforting, his nervous demeanor from the night terrors dissipated with each passing second. He patted it appreciatively.

As he walked through their small camp, Thanes eyes came to rest on Mithennor. She sat with her back to him, waiting to be relieved from her duty at watch. Part of him pitied her. She had known hardship in her travels by his side as well as Sirion’s. But Thane knew his pity was matched by hers. He could see it in the way she spoke to him, or in her occasional gifts. He was starting to feel that not only did the elleth pity him, she was disgusted by him. Thane caught a scowl creeping up into his face, but fought it back as quickly as he could.

He sighed to calm himself. Thane took the last couple strides over to Mithennor and placed a hand on her shoulder. “Sleep evades me,” he said softly, so as not to wake anyone. “I will keep watch now if you would like to rest.”

Mithennor jumped as she felt the hand on her shoulder, she twisted around to look up into Thane's face, of all those she could have seen, his created the most amount conflicting emotions... His voice was careful and almost had a measure of pity in it. She loathed being pitied.

she was tired, so very tired, but Mithennor almost dreaded sleeping because of the dream she had the night before.. her ribs still bothered her, which reminded her of one of the few kind things Thane had said to her... which turned out to be a lie. She still remembered his words about promising to help keep her from harm. And then Thane's reaction to her recent attempt at friendship.

she realized that the sudden surge of anger was perhaps unfounded, but she refused to care. She glowered at him, every frustration and hurt and bruise at the front of her mind as she looked up at him and noticed the pouch that hung from his belt with that hateful stone in it.

"what do you want?" she snapped

Confused now, Thane had a feeling he would need to choose his next words carefully. Most of the time, Mithennor weathered his faults better than anyone he had ever known. He still wasn’t entirely sure why she did it. But in his defense, he had yet to say something offensive! Thane noticed the elleth’s gaze shift briefly towards the palantir, and he immediately slid the satchel along his beltline, letting the stone rest out of sight behind his back.

The ellon tried to draw up some sort of wisdom from his past experiences with women, and he came to the conclusion that there was nothing he could say or do to fix this while Mithennor was in a mood. He also had a feeling that to say nothing would not be in his best interests.

“I wanted only to relieve you, Lady, but it was a kindness that you obviously did not need.”

Lady? he thought to himself. We are beyond formality, why did I call her that? Thane knew the answer. The woman he was currently speaking to was not the friend he had come to know on this trip. Mithennor was angry for some reason. Gods knew the elleth had plenty of things for which to be wroth. The game now was to figure out what the problem was. Thane had a feeling he was expected to already know.

Mithennor rose, every frustration raring its head-
“Lady?! Do I look like a Lady to you?”
She stood there, gesturing to herself as her voice rose to compete with the wind- Her borrowed clothes were stiff with dirt from the journey and being washed down flood, her boots were several sizes too large and her cold feet ached inside them, her short hair fell in her face almost to emphasize her point; she angrily pushed the offending strands out of her face ineffectively, as it slid back into her eyes.
“Through everything we’ve been through together, the pains and risks… and you call me Lady now? You’ve barely tolerated throughout all of this, even going as far as to throw wine back in my face. What, Thane, have I done to you? What have I asked? “ She fell silent for a moment; mind racing over the entirety of what she said, over everything that had happened leading to this point, and Adun’s words earlier…. The palantir. The cause of all of this grief…
For no discernible reason, she made to reach for the stone, Adun’s words starting to reform in the front of her mind.
Thane had only been mildly frustrated when he awoke that morning. He was surprised when Mithennor snapped at him for greeting her, and along with the small pangs of guilt that he felt when she yelled at him, annoyance was present in his mind. What had she done to him? Part of him felt that this elleth often managed to turn everything upside down, especially her small attempts to mess with his drinking habits.

When she made a seemingly random grab for the palantir, Thane instantly caught Mithennor by the wrist and pulled her away from her post. He waited till she looked up at him, as he drew her close. If Thane hadn’t been angry before this, his temper rose when the elleth attempted to take the stone. He was unable to make the distinction over his new attachment over the palantir, or of his latent feelings for Mithennor. He couldn’t be bothered to care at that moment.

“Barely tolerated you?” he growled between gritted teeth. “I apologize. Did I barely tolerate you in Carn Dum? I remember my promises Mithennor and you are blind if you cannot see my failures. But I did not crawl back down in that dungeon to find you out of mere tolerance.”

He reached down and seized her other wrist, pulling them both to his chest. “Do you so despise me?”

She stared up into the half-elf’s face, lips pursed.
“No” as she yanked her wrists free of Thane’s grasp. She glared at him a moment longer.
“And as far as Carn Dum is concerned, you promised I wouldn’t come to harm. A bit late for that, but yes, you helped save me from the situation you placed me in. I never supposed you without honor” her tone didn’t directly imply that she thought otherwise, but there was a slight hint of doubt-
“but I’m sure having others there to act as witnesses probably aided my cause”

“Cruel, woman! I am sorry for betraying your trust, but I have not asked for it since.” Thane was no longer able to keep his voice down. “If anything, I shunned it as we ran across the tundra and even that made you unhappy. Since there would seem to be nothing left for me to try, I would beg you to make up your mind.”

Thane, who could never deliberately hurt Mithennor, quickly pulled the elleth back in close and leaned in roughly for a kiss.

“Until then, torment me no more!” he pushed her firmly away and stormed off.

Mithennor stood there, open mouthed in shock.
Dinenlasse
Realm Head of Aulë
Send Message
on: December 15, 2011 07:02
(JP between Ohtariel and me. Ready, set, GO!)

The briskness of the night wind cooled Idhrenniel down immensely and caused her to shiver. Taking the Lossoth cloak she had scavenged from a poor mangled corpse from the seashore, the she-Elf wrapped herself in it and fell into a light doze. Sleep caught her almost immediately until the sound of muffled voices pushed Idhren towards consciousness. Thinking it but a mere dream, she snuggled deeper into her cloak, warding off negative thoughts. But soon enough, however, the voices intensified in volume until she heard quite plainly,

“Cruel, woman! I am sorry for betraying your trust, but I have not asked for it since.” Thane was no longer able to keep his voice down. “If anything, I shunned it as we ran across the tundra and even that made you unhappy. Since there would seem to be nothing left for me to try, I would beg you to make up your mind.”

Bewildered, Idhren disentangled herself from the cloak and stumbled upright to see Mithennor and Thane in the dying firelight, pressed face to face, embroiled in a heated argument. Thane stomped off after his last remark, and Mithennor stood there in complete and utter awe. Idhren was unsure if they knew she had awakened, but she remained stock-still, unsure of what to do. The peacemaker in her strongly desired to attend to both, but it was Thane’s decisive steps and frustrated demeanor that decided Idhren to go after the half-elf. “Thane!” she cried, striding quickly after him. “Thane!”

The half-elf stood still for a moment and heaved a sigh. “I offer up a maiden for sacrifice and suddenly all the women in Arnor come running,” he mumbled quietly to himself. Thane turned slowly, hoping it would just be Idhren standing there alone. To his great relief, it was. “You called, my lady?”

“Aye, I did, sir,” Idhren replied, silently coming to Thane’s side. “I heard some altercation betwixt you and Mithennor. What in the name of Varda happened? And, how are you faring after it? You seem as winded as a bull, if I may be blunt.”

Thane gave a mirthless chuckle. “Altercation? Oh, Idhren there is no word for that jumble of built up animosity.” He paused for a moment, unsure of why he even bothered to answer. In their travels to the north, the half-elf had seldom spoken to this elleth. Without even realizing it, Thane shut down because of it. “Suffice it to say I needed to clear the air with our dear Mithennor.”

Idhren frowned, not believing any of it. For although she had little in the way of conversation with Thane, saving her ardor for more...important...things, Idhren knew something else lay beneath the surface of the “jumble of built up animosity” Mithennor and Thane held towards each other. It had been clearly noticeable for a great period of time. “What about?” she inquired further, her voice brooking nothing else but the truth.

His talk with Mithennor had left the ellon spitting bile in frustration, and it hadn’t dissipated in the few strides he had taken away from camp. “Clearly you did not rise as late as I assumed or you would not be standing here right now,” Thane said steadily. Too steadily for anyone who knew him well enough. “It does not matter anymore Idhren, I promise it will not happen again. I am sorry that we woke you. Go get some rest.”

Idhren remained planted in her location, not budging. “I am not seeking to get in the middle of whatever has occurred between you two, but discord among our group belies other more pressing issues which I have been aware of for some time, ever since we took the palantír from the Lossoth. We have faced much over the past weeks, but something else has changed. Have you not felt it?”

The half-elf’s hand went to his belt at first mention of the stone. He was so keen on ending the conversation with the elleth that Thane found himself nodding his head without comprehending her meaning. Only when she said nothing for a moment and watched his reaction, did Thane understand. “I’m sure I do not know what you mean,” he said flatly, instinctively.

“Thane, you have not been yourself lately,” Idhren returned just as flatly, shaking her head in despair. “You’ve had the stone in your possession for quite some time, and you have been more reclusive, seeking more solitude. Now, before you press on”-here she held up a slender hand to stay Thane’s expected denial-”I understand that is much of your personality, but it is not just you. It is also Adûn as well. Our Ranger friend has stolen covetous glances at the stone as well. I fear its influence on the both of you. Can you not understand this?” her voice sounded almost strangled as Idhren sought to drive her point home.

Part of Thane did understand, the rest of him didn’t want to. Having already dealt with the Ranger and his odd affliction for the palantir, he was not so surprised to hear this news. “I am aware of the Ranger and his intentions, leave him to me.” Thane hadn’t yet told anyone of his run-in with Adun. “As far as it’s influence, if it indeed has one, I assure you the stone is under control.”

Idhren was nonplussed at Thane’s indifference, but perhaps she should not have been. The half-elf had a knack for being reckless, uncaring, so maybe it made little difference to him, and he failed to recognize the palantír’s danger or power over him. “I would never doubt that the stone is under control, but I warrant that you fail to realize the true extent of its power. Do you not think this stone possessed control over Arvedui? Do you not think it ultimately caused his demise?”

Thane’s laughter was sincere this time. “When it comes to the old sea king, I fear I sympathize with his decisions. All he is guilty of is ignoring the Lossoth... something we would have done well to copy.”

“Too true, I must agree, but could you honestly leave the thing behind and not expect to feel its energy and draw from within your own mind, in your dreams?” Idhren cocked her head and glanced at Thane quizzically.

The half-elf stopped laughing. He did not like where their conversation was leading. Since acquiring the palantir, his nightmares had lessened both in intensity and number. Like all good dependents, Thane could say only one thing. “I’m sure that I could, but there is no need. The palantir is safe and that is all that matters.”

The she-elf decided to prod just a little bit more. “Have you thought about attempting to part with it? Especially to see if you change?” A furtive grin flickered across her face.

A scowl spread across Thane’s face. He couldn’t deny the elleth, for fear of proving her theory correct. He couldn’t deflect and spin the attention back on her. That would lead to yelling, and yelling at this woman would bring Lindir down. He didn’t need to be outnumbered in a fight.

“As you wish,” he said quietly, untying the satchel from his belt. Thane held the bag out in front of him, staring at it’s base intently. He remained that way for minutes on end, stuck in his decisions. All he wanted to do was tie the thing back to his belt. He couldn’t drop his arm. Walking over and handing it to Idhren was even less than a possibility. Thane started to sweat a bit. His hands shook, and opening them was all he had left to do. The satchel dropped to the ground.

Idhren stood dumbstruck; she had never seriously considered what she would do if Thane had actually relented on the thing! But, the opportunity would never present itself again, and with a heavy but curious heart, Idhrenniel stooped, picked the stone up, and tied it to her own belt. The palantír weighed at least a stone, if not more. She had not anticipated this. But Idhren had to wonder why she had even broached the topic of the palantír with Thane in the first place. Was she concerned about the group’s safety or well-being? Or, was in her a secret desire to see if the elleth herself could withstand the power of the stone from Annúminas? Only time would tell...
Ohtariel
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 15, 2011 07:45
The days pressed on for the weary south bound group. Despite the late season, the terrain warmed beneath their feet the further south they ran. There wasn't a soul among them who could accurately name the day anymore. It didn't matter to them anyways. There was no guarantee when they'd be home or even if they would ever make it there alive. While they could name the region they were currently occupying, they could not say where they were or how close to any specific borders they might be. Until one day while camping for the night, the travelers were overtaken by a scouting group. To their great delight, the scouting group belonged to their late friends, the rangers.

The rangers themselves had been on the look out for these elves for quite some time. Aside from one of their number being included in their group, they had recently recieved word by messenger from Elrond of Rivendell. The elven lord was descretely inquiring about the whereabouts of this group, and the rangers themselves were more than happy to oblige.

~

He was known by many as Elrond Halfelven, but this meant very little to his own personal opinion of the race of men. Word had reached the elven lord that his travelers had made it as far as the ranger refugee camp... and it worried him greatly. That was the last he had heard of them on their journey north. The elves had been sworn to secrecy upon their departure, but things tended to happen on the road. Things that would loosen tongues at first sight of a friendly face. Men were responsible before for the loss of the palantir, and they could be again if the elves grew too comfortable around them. The lord paced back and forth in his room, wondering if there was any aid left to send. He could think of none. Where would he even send an escort? The travelers had left the rangers months ago. There was no telling if they had even made it to Forochel!

Elrond sighed quietly to himself. He had seen the outcome of their trip and the outlook was bleak. There was nothing left to do but hope and pray. Pray that the elves were wise enough to trust only those that he had sent out on the excursion.
<< First45678
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email