Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1415161718Last >>
Author Topic:
Wolf R
Council Member
Send Message
Hi all,

I'm new here. I live in Australia and I am getting married next month. I moved over from Holland to be with the love of my life. I found this website because I'm looking for someone who can help me with translating an English script into an elvish written script. It's a short sentence. I want to engrave it on the outside of my wedding ring. Same for my fiance. Just a different script.

I'm a big fan of the LotR and Hobbit movies.

I would also like to know what the difference is between the two different elvish languages.

The script I want is: Moon of my Life.

Please let me know if you can help me out.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Do you just want the English phrase 'Moon of my life' transcribed into Tengwar (the alphabet used by the Elves) or do you actually want it translated first and then transcribed? If just the latter, I will send you a PM with details of a lady who is very good at doing transcriptions.

Sindarin was the language of the Sindar, the people of Doriath.
Quenya was the language spoken by the Noldor; Thingol of Doriath forebade the use of Quenya after the Kinslaying, and thus they had to learn Sindarin. The language spoken in the Third Age in everyday speech, is Sindarin.

Linguistically, Sindarin bears a resemblance to Welsh, and Quenya to Finnish.

(That is the incredibly concise version).

[Edited on 07/02/2014 by Galadivren]
Wolf R
Council Member
Send Message
Ohh okay I think I understand it. Yes I want the phrase 'Moon of my Life' translated into Elvish (Tengwar). I also want the phrase 'My Sun and my Stars' translated for the ring of my soon to be wife.

The only thing I want is to make sure it's correct when translated. Maybe in elvish they say it a bit different compared to English. Hope you know what I mean. And yes please send me a pm with more info. I want to engrave both rings in two weeks.

Thank you so much for the quick response.
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren said:
The final possessive pronoun dîn — wouldn't that point to the "times" (instead of the subject, "all" )? If this is the case, one ought to substitute în.

Could you expound? It's simply the possessive surrounding the word, 'the choosing their'.

The possessive pronoun în refers back to a firstly mentioned operator in a sentence, while dîn refers to another, the most recently mentioned (3rd person) thing or things besides it — as we know from The King's Letter in Sauron Defeated, pp. 128-9.

"Even the dwarves wished to see the elf-maidens, but this was not their forest"

Translate "their" with în, it means the dwarves' forest. Use dîn, and it means the elf-maidens' forest.

(Separate possessives are also used to make the same distinction in Swedish, Norwegian, etc.)

[Edited on 07/03/2014 by Elhath]
Ireth Pallanen
Council Member
Send Message
I would really like to have the Sindarin translation of these lyrics. Thank you so much in advance

Take my love, take my land
Take me where I cannot stand
I don't care, I'm still free
You can't take the sky from me.

Take me out to the black
Tell them I ain't comin' back
Burn the land and boil the sea

Leave the men where they lay
They'll never see another day
Lost my soul, lost my dream

I feel the black reaching out
I hear its song without a doubt
I still hear and I still see
That you can't take the sky from me.

Lost my love, lost my land
Lost the last place I could stand
There's no place I can be
Since I've found Serenity

And you can't take the sky from me.
For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. -John 3:16
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Does anyone know were I can find an English to Sindarin Elvish translator where you can type in a phrase and get that in elvish or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?? Cause I really want to translate a song that I am absolutely in love with.
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
That doesn't currently exist. What's the song?
Springie
Council Member
Send Message
Hello!

I'd like help translating a phrase into Sindarin, please:
"No dwarf tossing" or similar ("dwarf tossing forbidden", or even the classic "nobody tosses a dwarf".

Thanks in advance!
carlos8989
Council Member
Send Message
Hi all! I was wondering if you could help. I want to get an elvish script tattoo and would like "to me you are perfect" translated to sindarin and then also transcribed into Tengwar. I would be extremely grateful for any help. Thanks
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
carlos8989 said:Hi all! I was wondering if you could help. I want to get an elvish script tattoo and would like "to me you are perfect" translated to sindarin and then also transcribed into Tengwar. I would be extremely grateful for any help. Thanks

Unfortunately there isn't a word for 'perfect' in Sindarin. The closest you can get is 'pure (shining white)'.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Springie said:Hello!

I'd like help translating a phrase into Sindarin, please:
"No dwarf tossing" or similar ("dwarf tossing forbidden", or even the classic "nobody tosses a dwarf".

Thanks in advance!

ú-chado [hedhyd/noeg] = Do not throw Dwarves
Tyrhael
Council Member
Send Message
Unfortunately there isn't a word for 'perfect' in Sindarin. The closest you can get is 'pure (shining white)'.

Perhaps one could be formed off analogy with Q ilvana, ilvanya "*all-fair"?
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
Tyrhael said:
Perhaps one could be formed off analogy with Q ilvana, ilvanya "*all-fair"?

E.g. *tre-vain, -van ? [bân : PE17:150]

Be(n) ind/nauth nín should translate "to me" when the intent is to say "to my mind, in my opinion".

[Edited on 09/09/2014 by Elhath]
majickx
Council Member
Send Message
Post a little help
on: September 13, 2014 11:50
Hey guys in wondering how I would translate , there is no. Out there out there. I know I could translate the words directly but I'm unfamiliar with how to set up the statement
majickx
Council Member
Send Message
Post a little help
on: September 13, 2014 11:50
Hey guys in wondering how I would translate , there is no. Out there out there. I know I could translate the words directly but I'm unfamiliar with how to set up the statement
sartorial
Council Member
Send Message
Hey everyone,
I've been thinking of getting this tattoo for about a year now and I think I'm finally ready. I was wondering if anyone could double check this for me and make sure it's right, I'm super afraid of being one of those people who's tattoo actually says something like chicken wing instead of it's intended meaning thanks so much!!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/32039090@N02/13643158295/
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
majickx : If you meant "there is no .. out there", it could be expressed with pen ú-chîr/-chíra .. (sí/hí, ennas, vi aehad) "one finds no .. (in here, in there, anywhere)", for instance.

sartorial : To me, "e thôg" would say "of Thôg" or "out of Tôg". I would put it as *ethog should one prefer a minimal solution for "(it) leads forth" (i.e., going for a translation without a separate adverbial word for "forth, forward" ). Also, please note that men for "road" might be a phonetically contracted bound form¹ (distinctive appearance of a word preceding its owner(s)), in which case the independent/absolute form would be mên (def. i vên) with a long vowel.

_______
¹ So hold Salo (A Gateway to Sindarin) & Fauskanger (Parviphith Edhellen).

[Edited on 09/21/2014 by Elhath]
sartorial
Council Member
Send Message
So it should be "I mên ethôg"? Sorry for the confusion
Elhath
Council Member
Send Message
sartorial said:So it should be "I mên ethôg"?

"The road" is i vên since the definite article causes Soft Mutation on the following consonant.

Based on an accent-free form in The Etymologies (The Lost Road p. 379/root OS- ), the common opinion around evidence-based study sites (CoE included) is that in prefixed (polysyllabic) root verbs the latter element's vowel does NOT become long for present 3rd singular. *Ethog- (< older stage *et-tuk- ) belongs in this "subclass" of verbs and hence its pres. 3 sg. would be ethog ('he/she/it leads out/forth'), the general present tense stem being ethegi- for other persons (-n, -g/-dh, etc.).

[Edited on 09/23/2014 by Elhath]
sartorial
Council Member
Send Message
Elhath said:
sartorial said:So it should be "I mên ethôg"?

"The road" is i vên since the definite article causes Soft Mutation on the following consonant.

Based on an accent-free form in The Etymologies (The Lost Road p. 379/root OS- ), the common opinion around evidence-based study sites (CoE included) is that in prefixed (polysyllabic) root verbs the latter element's vowel does NOT become long for present 3rd singular. *Ethog- (< older stage *et-tuk- ) belongs in this "subclass" of verbs and hence its pres. 3 sg. would be ethog ('he/she/it leads out/forth'), the general present tense stem being ethegi- for other persons (-n, -g/-dh, etc.).

Thank you so much! Thats the most thorough response I've gotten yet
Sugarfoot1
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tattoo Transcription
on: September 29, 2014 07:20
When I first told my girlfriend I loved her I did it in broken Elvish. I told her "melinyel" which I believed to mean "I love you" I also tried transcribing it into Tengwar. She absolutely loves it and is looking at having the tengwar script I wrote tattooed around her ankle. Can someone please confirm that melinyel means what I think it does and maybe translate into the Tengwar for me? I just want to make sure that it is correct before she has it permanently affixed to her skin...

Thanks!
zythyl
Council Member
Send Message
Anyone translate my name to Sindaring please?

Patrick

There are a few different translations floating around the net (such as Aranir and Arphenon) but I'm not sure which is the most correct - thanks!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Well Patrick seems to mean 'noble', and there are a couple of options for 'noble' in Sindarin: the two adjectives, 'arod' and 'brand' and the noun 'arphen'.

From this you can make the following male names:
Arodír = Noble man
Arodon = Noble (male suffix)
Arodron = Noble (male suffix)
Arodben = Noble person
Brandír = Noble man
Brannon = Noble (male suffix)
Brandron = Noble (male suffix)
Bramben = Noble person
Arphen = Noble (already contains a suffix)
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Post Tattoo Transcription
on: October 08, 2014 08:03
Sugarfoot1 said:When I first told my girlfriend I loved her I did it in broken Elvish. I told her "melinyel" which I believed to mean "I love you" I also tried transcribing it into Tengwar. She absolutely loves it and is looking at having the tengwar script I wrote tattooed around her ankle. Can someone please confirm that melinyel means what I think it does and maybe translate into the Tengwar for me? I just want to make sure that it is correct before she has it permanently affixed to her skin...

Thanks!

Yes, it does, but it's Quenya not Sindarin
bknot1
Council Member
Send Message
Hello,
I am deciding on which language to use for my tatto design. I have the quenya translation, now I need to sindarin translation for:

Our body is love, our love is eternal.

Any help is greatly needed. Thanks in advance.
joy666
Council Member
Send Message
Post equivalent of name Slávka in Sindarin
on: November 02, 2014 04:04
Hello folks,
I would like to ask you for equivalent of Slavic feminine name Slávka in Sindarin. It means celebrated / she is celebrated.
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
That doesn't currently exist. What's the song?

That's what I thought. The Song is "Vapor" by the Ligurists or something like that.
Image "We all change when you think about it. We're all different people all through out our lives. And that's okay. That's good. You gotta keep moving so long as you remember all the people that you used to be." -- The 11th Doctor
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 03, 2014 03:56
joy666 said:Hello folks,
I would like to ask you for equivalent of Slavic feminine name Slávka in Sindarin. It means celebrated / she is celebrated.

I'm afraid there's no direct translation for 'celebrate'. Would 'praise' or 'glory' work for you?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
[b]ElfwithAtatude said:

That's what I thought. The Song is "Vapor" by the Ligurists or something like that.

I'll have a look at that tomorrow for you and see what I can do
ElfwithAtatude
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you so much, Galadivren!!

Btw does anyone know where I can find the Elvish for the Hobbit movies?? I haven't been able to find any scripts or any thing. I mean I know they are really knew still but has any one seen anything??
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
http://www.elendilion.pl/2012/12/24/g-i-p-report-complete-analysis-of-the-sindarin-dialogs/

http://www.elendilion.pl/2013/12/22/g-i-p-report-complete-sindarin-dialogs-from-the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug/

[Edited on 11/04/2014 by Galadivren]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Right. This had better be the right song

Oh the vapor of it all
Ae i chwest
It’s a chasing of the wind
De aphadol uin sûl
The powers of the earth so pale and thin
I thuir uin geven, nimp a lhain
We will set our hearts on you again
Annatham huinemen angin adui
Heaven taunts the hearts of men
Menel iaew an i chuin edain
We can feel it from within
Den felim od vi ven
The beauty of it all
I vainas bân
The mystery
I thurin
The swelling of a voice
I duiol lammad
A rising sea
Aear eriol
Holy
Aer
You oh God are Holy
Len, ai Eru, aer
Trees clap their hands for you
Yrn tre-davar i chaim dîn anlen
Oceans they dance for you
Aearyn lilthar anlen
You are holy
Le aer
Oh the mystery of it all
Ae i thurin bân
I can never peer within
ú-genin mina den
I’ll never find the words or understand
ú-chirithon i phith egor chenio
The fullness of a God
I bathred Rodon
Become a man
No adan
Holy
Aer
You oh God are Holy
Len, ai Eru, aer
Trees clap their hands for you
Yrn tre-davar i chaim dîn anlen
Oceans they dance for you
Aearyn lilthar anlen
You are holy
Le aer
Infinite and holy
Uireb a aer
A billion suns rise for you
Menel enyr eriar anlen
Clouds paint the skies
Foen teithar in eil
Mountains stand tall
Eryd brastar
Valleys bow down Imlaid cevir
Everything rising to
Naid bân eriol
lift up their song for you
an eriar i laer dîn anlen
Holy
Aer
The impossible and holy
i arnediad a aer
Kings become fools for you
Erain penind anlen
Kingdoms to ruins for you
Ernaid racthar anlen
Vapor finds ground in you
Hwest hîr talaf mi len
Music finds sound for you
Gling hîr lammad anlen
Everything rising
Naid bân eriol
Everything rising
Naid bân eriol
Come like dawn
Tolo sui minuial
Like waves
Sui felyth
Like sunlight
Sui glawar
Bring this world to life
Togo i ardhon hen cuil
Come like rain
Tolo sui ross
Like breath
Sui thûl
Like springtime
Sui Ethuil

Some of these lines aren't exact word for word - the English reads back as:
Ah the breath
It is following the wind
The powers of the Earth, pale and thin
We will give your hearts to you again
Heaven is scorning of the hearts of Men
We can feel it from in us
The beauty of all
The secret
The swelling of a voice
A rising sea
Holy
You oh Eru are holy
Trees beat together their hands for you
Oceans dance for you
You are holy
Oh the secret of all
I cannot look into it
I will not find the words or understand
The fullness of a Maia
Be a Man
Holy
You oh Eru are holy
Eternal and holy
A thousand song rise for you
Clouds draw the skies
Mountains loom up high
Valleys bow
All things rising
to lift their songs for you
Holy
The innumerable and holy
Kings be thoughtless for you
Kingdoms shatter for you
Breath finds ground in you
Music finds voice in you
All things rising
All things rising
Come like the dawn (literally 'time near dawn when the stars fade')
Like waves
Like the golden light of the tree Laurelin
Bring this world life
Come like rain
Like breath
Like Spring

[Edited on 11/04/2014 by Galadivren]
millerkh
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translation Help Needed!!
on: November 05, 2014 04:31
Hello all!

Newbie here, just looking for some help translating a line into Sindarin.. I've made some attempts myself, but what I've managed to come up with hasn't been accurate or acceptable :I

"So comes snow after fire and even dragons have their ending" is the line I've been attempting to conquer- perhaps a bit ambitious for a noob, but it means a lot to me! Any help would be appreciated tremendously(:

-Kels
joy666
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2014 12:52
Galadivren said:
joy666 said:Hello folks,

I'm afraid there's no direct translation for 'celebrate'. Would 'praise' or 'glory' work for you?

Hello Galadivren,
thx for quick respond. I think "praise" and "glory" should be much more better than celebrated. Would you be so nice and try to make names from both of them?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 06, 2014 02:43
joy666 said:

Hello Galadivren,
thx for quick respond. I think "praise" and "glory" should be much more better than celebrated. Would you be so nice and try to make names from both of them?

Certainly.

Glory:

Aglarel : Woman of great glory
Aglaril : Woman of great glory
Aglareth : Woman of great glory
Aglarwen : Maiden of great glory
Aglarien : Daughter of great glory
Aglariel : Daughter/Woman of great glory

Clarel : Woman of glory
Claril : Woman of glory
Clareth : Woman of glory
Clarwen : Maiden of glory