Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1718192021Last >>
Author Topic:
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
I can't believe myself. I'm so sorry, but I still don't understand something. I really appreciate all your help and I apologize for continuing to drag this.

Why is the last phrase written as "Nai Eru den elio ovor..."? As there is the word "you" in the English version, I expected it to be like "Nai Eru elio gin ovor..."

I hope you understand why I have to know how it's actually translated. It's because I'll have to help this friend of mine to translate it back into English later.
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Because I misread it as 'him/her', sorry! If you want 'you' there it should be 'gin' indeed.
puffinpup
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren said:Ah, right, yes, that lesson does just mention it for 'Proper Nouns'. I don't believe that's true, it would work similarly for any noun + noun, but if you'd prefer, you could have:

Cenin naur en-amlug = I see fire of the dragon
or
Cenin naur uin amlug = I see fire from the dragon

but now you're referring to a specific dragon and it starts to lose the meaning from the original.

[Edited on 03/01/2015 by Galadivren]

I see what you mean.

Thank you so much for your help and patience!
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
So is it "Nai Eru gin elio ovor" or "Nai Eru elio gin ovor"? The second one seems to follow the structure of the English version closer.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Second one
Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks!
ransackery
Council Member
Send Message
Post Need help translating an English phrase to Sindarin
on: March 05, 2015 03:07
Greetings! Gondolinian pointed me this direction for possible help. There is a long-standing gag between my girlfriend and I with Rick Rolling. She actually planted the song in the middle of a sentimental Valentine's mix (well played, indeed). Now, I want to have the phrase "Never gonna give you up." engraved in "the" ring. She is a huge LotR fan so I thought it would be really awesome to put it in Elvish. Perhaps the first Elvish Rick Roll? I was going to just use a font treatment, but the more I thought about it, I thought... go all the way. However... I am at a loss. If anyone can help, many thanks.

p.s. Hush hush!!!

[Edited on 03/05/2015 by ransackery]

[Edited on 03/05/2015 by ransackery]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I think it would be much better if you just got that phrase transcribed directly into Tengwar rather than translating it - you'd lose some of the meaning.
ransackery
Council Member
Send Message
Thought about it; just English letters/words/grammar in Tengwar script. I thought maybe actually translating might be more realistic, whereas just using the script feels like a font change. Perhaps I am thinking of it wrong. I figured the phrase is common enough in universal meaning "I am never going to give you up" quite basically, that it might not be a harsh translate. I'm definitely not a linguistics expert, and especially not Elvish. Just food for thought. Anyone?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Well if I were to translate it into Sindarin it would be along the lines of:

Gin ú-chebithon = I will not retain you
Gin ú-leithiathon = I will not release you

'Give up' is a phrase that's not easily translatable, not least because it has more than one meaning! The phrasal verb 'give up' is literally 'to surrender, admit defeat', but that's not entirely what Rick Astley is singing about.
ransackery
Council Member
Send Message
Very good point. I appreciate the translation AND the observation! What do you think about "Never going to say goodbye" which is essentially another way of saying "Never going to give you up" and a part of the song too. It moves more into the realm of what the meaning truly is.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
I'll give you two versions of this in case one isn't quite right:

ú-bedithon novaer = I will not say goodbye
ú-ui bedo novaer = Do not ever say goodbye
ransackery
Council Member
Send Message
It seems like if one were to truly try and convey the intent/meaning from English tongue to Elvish that "I will not say goodbye" is the most accurate. Thoughts?
ransackery
Council Member
Send Message
I think I'm almost there. Thinking of taking "ú-bedithon novaer" as typed above for "I will not say goodbye" and running it through this translator:

http://www.jenshansen.com/pages/online-english-to-elvish-engraving-translator

Would that be correct?

And, appreciate this help. Very much.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Some of the automatic transcribers will give you a decent result, but they can never be 100% accurate. I haven't personally studied Tengwar, so if this is for a ring as important as this, I'd suggest you ask my friend Isildilme over at this thread and ask her to check it for you:

http://forums.theonering.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=104703&start=2400

She's very busy, and may take a little while to reply, but it would be worth it to know that it was correct!
ransackery
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren, thank you! I posted on the forum you linked. I will definitely reply back here with any information.
ransackery
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren, thank you! I posted on the forum you linked. I will definitely reply back here with any information.
ransackery
Council Member
Send Message
skaterslh
Council Member
Send Message
Mae g'ovannen, hiril vuin! Uin edhel; no, pedin edhellen.
Can anyone tell me what this says? I know the first part says well met but I can't make out the rest.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Well met, dear lady! I am not an Elf, I speak Elven.

At least that's what it's meant to say. Uin actually means I do not.
skaterslh
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks so much! I was trying to use a online Elvish dictionary to translate but it was not working.
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
I have translated a saying and am wondering if I did well enough that it can be translated, so I want to give the elvish without the original english for now.

bolû le ivened, bolû le idoled

with a shortened version: ivened egor idoled
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Varyalener
Council Member
Send Message
Hello, I have made a Sindarin translation of Galadriel's Farewell to Lórien and I would like someone to check it. Thanks in advance!

Above is the original, english version:

Farewell to Lórien

O Lórien! The Winter comes, the bare and leafless Day;
The leaves are falling in the stream, the River flows away.
O Lórien! Too long I have dwelt upon this Hither Shore
And in a fading crown have twined the golden Elanor.

And this is my translation to Sindarin:

Novaer na Lórien

A Lórien! Rhîw tôl, i Aur baran a pen-lass;
I lais dannar nan hîr, i Dhuin rîb ed.
A Lórien! Anann dae dorthannon ne Nef Rast hen
A na rî beleth gonathrant i Elanor vallen.

[Edited on 03/21/2015 by Varyalener]
Lindanen lassis, laurië lassis. Ar tás altaner laurië lassi.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
tiger667 said:I have translated a saying and am wondering if I did well enough that it can be translated, so I want to give the elvish without the original english for now.

bolû le ivened, bolû le idoled

with a shortened version: ivened egor idoled

Well it looks like...

On time you the going, on time you the coming

With the shorter form looking like:

The going or the coming

But if it is meant to be that, you don't put i = the together with the word following it like that.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Varyalener said:Hello, I have made a Sindarin translation of Galadriel's Farewell to Lórien and I would like someone to check it. Thanks in advance!

Above is the original, english version:

Farewell to Lórien

O Lórien! The Winter comes, the bare and leafless Day;
The leaves are falling in the stream, the River flows away.
O Lórien! Too long I have dwelt upon this Hither Shore
And in a fading crown have twined the golden Elanor.

And this is my translation to Sindarin:

Novaer na Lórien

A Lórien! Rhîw tôl, i Aur baran a pen-lass;
I lais dannar nan hîr, i Dhuin rîb ed.
A Lórien! Anann dae dorthannon ne Nef Rast hen
A na rî beleth gonathrant i Elanor vallen.

[Edited on 03/21/2015 by Varyalener]

Pretty solid attempt! Just a few little comments to make, I'll do it line by line.

I lais -> In laiss
nan hîr -> min hîr
rîb ed -> edhrîb or ethiria- = to flow away, ethiria = it flows away
Anann dae dorthannon ne Nef Rast hen -> Anann dorthannen am i Nefrast hen
A na -> A vi (mi = in, min = in the)
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
The 'on time' was supposed to be 'on occasion' as in occasionally, or sometimes (I couldn't find an actual word for it). My original thinking was "Sometimes you [are] the going, sometimes you ]are] the coming" connected to "what comes around, goes around". Sometimes you are what is coming around, sometimes you are what is going around.

Thank you for the tip on 'the" not being combined, not sure why I did it that way. But speaking of 'the', if a title is used as a name (which includes "the", should it be dropped, or should the name have an 'i' at the front?
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Varyalener
Council Member
Send Message
Galadivren said:Pretty solid attempt! Just a few little comments to make, I'll do it line by line.

I lais -> In laiss
nan hîr -> min hîr
rîb ed -> edhrîb or ethiria- = to flow away, ethiria = it flows away
Anann dae dorthannon ne Nef Rast hen -> Anann dorthannen am i Nefrast hen
A na -> A vi (mi = in, min = in the)

Thanks again for helping me!
But I have a handful of questions regarding the following (I guess you'll have some work, so take it easy, I wait as much as needed, no matter how long it takes):

1) nan hîr -> min hîr

I couldn't find min glossed "in the" in any wordlists I looked in (DragonFlame, Parf Edhellen and CoE's dictionary). All of them give min as numeral "one" and preposition "between the" (and mín – with long í – as pronoun "us" and possessive "our" ). And I couldn't find mi "in" at all. Anyway, when translating, I thought using a sindarin word for "in" or "in the" would mean that the leaves were falling in (inside, into) the river's water. When Galadriel said "the leaves are falling in the stream", I think she actually meant they were falling "at the stream", "on the stream" (on its surface) or maybe "towards the stream" (and consequently they fell on the water's surface), but not "inside" it. So I decided to use nan "to the", for it denotes direction (maybe also "at the", as a locative word? – since it contains na "to, towards, at, of, with, by" ). But erin "on the" may be a better choice. And of course, my understanding of what Galadriel meant may be mistaken, especially because english is not my mother-language. Or perhaps, when you were making your reply, you just didn't think about these points I mentioned. I don't know.

2) rîb ed -> edhrîb or ethiria

Should not be edhrib (with short i)?
And how does ed suffixed to rîb and siria results in edhrîb (reads edhrib?) and ethiria? Wouldn't it trigger stop mutation, resulting in edrîb (edrib?) and essiria, instead?

3) Anann dae dorthannon ne Nef Rast hen -> Anann dorthannen am i Nefrast hen

Since I'm supposed to translate "for too long" into sindarin (as line 3 reads "O Lórien! Too long I have dwelt..." ), first i thought of ananann as an adverb compounded by the adjective and "long", the intensive prefix an- (thus, anann meaning "too long" ) and the preposition an "to, for,... (etc.)" prefixed to all. However (and aside from ananann being somewhat odd for me), an adjective anann meaning "too long" could conflict with the attested adverb anann "(for) long". Though I don't believe this to be a problem (there are words in sindarin with different meanings but identical forms, such as min "one" and min "between the" ), I thought it could be better to find another way of saying "too long", so I came with anann dae; with the attested anann "(for) long" and dae supposed to mean something like "too, very, exceedingly", though this word is not attested (only daer "great" is attested) – I found dae glossed "too" at Parf Edhellen, where it is said to be imported from Parviphith. However, I'm not sure if I should really use dae.

I didn't get what are both am and the following i before Nefrast.

Why Nefrast rather than Nevrast (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Nevrast)?

Also concerning Nefrast, when Galadriel said "this Hither Shore", she indeed referred to the land called Nefrast (or should it actually read Nevrast, as found in Tolkien Gateway?). But since she used "Hither Shore" rather than the name by which the land is known, I thought I would better do the same in the sindarin traslation and use separate words to refer to the land: Nef Rast hen "this Hither Shore". Also, it appears to me that a proper name like Nefrast does not go well together with a demonstrative (in this case,hen) – something like "this Nefrast" is quite weird to me. Should I really not use Nef Rast for "Hither Shore", but Nefrast (maybe Nevrast?) instead?

[Edited on 03/22/2015 by Varyalener]
Lindanen lassis, laurië lassis. Ar tás altaner laurië lassi.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
tiger667 said:The 'on time' was supposed to be 'on occasion' as in occasionally, or sometimes (I couldn't find an actual word for it). My original thinking was "Sometimes you [are] the going, sometimes you ]are] the coming" connected to "what comes around, goes around". Sometimes you are what is coming around, sometimes you are what is going around.

Thank you for the tip on 'the" not being combined, not sure why I did it that way. But speaking of 'the', if a title is used as a name (which includes "the", should it be dropped, or should the name have an 'i' at the front?

What about na lui = at times then? Na lui ci i vened = At times you are the going etc.

Can you give me an example of what sort of name you're thinking about?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Varyalener said:

Thanks again for helping me!
But I have a handful of questions regarding the following (I guess you'll have some work, so take it easy, I wait as much as needed, no matter how long it takes):

1) nan hîr -> min hîr

I couldn't find min glossed "in the" in any wordlists I looked in (DragonFlame, Parf Edhellen and CoE's dictionary). All of them give min as numeral "one" and preposition "between the" (and mín – with long í – as pronoun "us" and possessive "our" ). And I couldn't find mi "in" at all. Anyway, when translating, I thought using a sindarin word for "in" or "in the" would mean that the leaves were falling in (inside, into) the river's water. When Galadriel said "the leaves are falling in the stream", I think she actually meant they were falling "at the stream", "on the stream" (on its surface) or maybe "towards the stream" (and consequently they fell on the water's surface), but not "inside" it. So I decided to use nan "to the", for it denotes direction (maybe also "at the", as a locative word? – since it contains na "to, towards, at, of, with, by" ). But erin "on the" may be a better choice. And of course, my understanding of what Galadriel meant may be mistaken, especially because english is not my mother-language. Or perhaps, when you were making your reply, you just didn't think about these points I mentioned. I don't know.

This might end up getting split over multiple posts, so if I don't reply to everything straightaway, forgive me. It's a lot to reply to!

Right, first of all, min. From memory, it's not attested per se, however we have many other prepositions that include 'i' where we know both versions (o(d)/uin na/nan etc.) Thus using the known rules of mutation, it makes logical sense that the preposition mi would also coalesce with i to create min. There is of course the argument that the basic preposition is vi not mi, making it vin, but that aside...

Entirely your choice if you'd rather have it as leaves falling onto instead of into, but to me the image conjured by the poem as a whole is of travelling, and the leaves falling into the stream and being carried away by the current is part of this.

And how does ed suffixed to rîb and siria results in edhrîb (reads edhrib?) and ethiria? Wouldn't it trigger stop mutation, resulting in edrîb (edrib?) and essiria, instead?

TBD - left this to last. If you get to this before I get back to it, I will still reply.

3) Anann dae dorthannon ne Nef Rast hen -> Anann dorthannen am i Nefrast hen

Since I'm supposed to translate "for too long" into sindarin (as line 3 reads "O Lórien! Too long I have dwelt..." ), first i thought of ananann as an adverb compounded by the adjective and "long", the intensive prefix an- (thus, anann meaning "too long" ) and the preposition an "to, for,... (etc.)" prefixed to all. However (and aside from ananann being somewhat odd for me), an adjective anann meaning "too long" could conflict with the attested adverb anann "(for) long". Though I don't believe this to be a problem (there are words in sindarin with different meanings but identical forms, such as min "one" and min "between the" ), I thought it could be better to find another way of saying "too long", so I came with anann dae; with the attested anann "(for) long" and dae supposed to mean something like "too, very, exceedingly", though this word is not attested (only daer "great" is attested) – I found dae glossed "too" at Parf Edhellen, where it is said to be imported from Parviphith. However, I'm not sure if I should really use dae.

I didn't get what are both am and the following i before Nefrast.

The redone version I gave you
Anann dorthannen am i Nevrast hen
reads literally as
Too long I dwelt apon this Hither Shore.

Which is near as damnit, word for word to the original. Sindarin doesn't have the capability of differentiating between the simple past and the perfect past, so it's both I dwelt, and I have dwelt.

Am = Upon
and you need I as it's a possessive pronoun, i Nevrast hen = the hither shore this, this Hither shore.

Differentiating between min = in the and the number one shouldn't ever be an issue because the latter is mîn with a long vowel.

Why Nefrast rather than Nevrast (http://tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Nevrast)?

They're the same word, with the same pronunciation, I just prefer to use f rather than v. Tolkien also used this spelling. Also see my reply to tiger below this!

Also concerning Nefrast, when Galadriel said "this Hither Shore", she indeed referred to the land called Nefrast (or should it actually read Nevrast, as found in Tolkien Gateway?). But since she used "Hither Shore" rather than the name by which the land is known, I thought I would better do the same in the sindarin traslation and use separate words to refer to the land: Nef Rast hen "this Hither Shore". Also, it appears to me that a proper name like Nefrast does not go well together with a demonstrative (in this case,hen) – something like "this Nefrast" is quite weird to me. Should I really not use Nef Rast for "Hither Shore", but Nefrast (maybe Nevrast?) instead?

Personally, I would use Nefrast as the proper noun and not use separate words, but if you want to, it would be Rast Nef as it's noun + adjective. Actually an interesting point raised there too, as Rast = Shore isn't attested separately, but given we have both Haerast and Nefrast, perhaps it should be. We also have esgar = shore, as a separate root.

[Edited on 03/22/2015 by Galadivren]
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you for 'na lui' I was trying to think of others ways of saying sometimes that I could get to work.

For a name how about "The Deepest Shadow". would it be iraunûrwath or raunûrwath, or some better combination of words I didn't think of (my first version of this was iAnnûriwath- lit. the exceedingly deep of shadows, because that is how Pedin Edhellen explains how to do superlatives, rau-/ro- was just another way to heighten, ie. beyond great - roveleg)

On your help for Varyalener I am curious about Nefrast and Nevrast. I thought f only sounded like v when it was at the end of a word. Wouldn't a word ending with f have it changed to the v when something is added to the end of it?
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
tiger667 said:Thank you for 'na lui' I was trying to think of others ways of saying sometimes that I could get to work.

For a name how about "The Deepest Shadow". would it be iraunûrwath or raunûrwath, or some better combination of words I didn't think of (my first version of this was iAnnûriwath- lit. the exceedingly deep of shadows, because that is how Pedin Edhellen explains how to do superlatives, rau-/ro- was just another way to heighten, ie. beyond great - roveleg)

On your help for Varyalener I am curious about Nefrast and Nevrast. I thought f only sounded like v when it was at the end of a word. Wouldn't a word ending with f have it changed to the v when something is added to the end of it?

Rau-/Ro- is the attested prefix for the superlative form. We use Ro- because Gwath starts with a consonant.
As you've used Gwath = Shadow I'll do that one first:

Ronurwath = Deepest shadow (as a name)
I 'wath ronur = The deepest shadow (as a sentence)

There are a few other options for shadow you could use, depending which nuance you want.

Ronurdhuath = Deepest shadow (darkness, shadow, nightshade)
Ronurvorchant = Deepest shadow (cast by an object)

These look a bit unwieldy though, so I think Gwath would be the better option.

Regarding pronunciation of Nefrast, you have to remember that pronunciation also changes within words if the word is a compound (which this is). The most famous example is Panthael. The TH in this isn't pronounced as TH = thing, it's actually two separate sounds, T (tree) and H (house). In Nefrast, it's not FR = frond, it's F (valve) and R (trilled R).

[Edited on 03/22/2015 by Galadivren]
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message

Remember that vowels lengthen for the 3rd person singular forms of I-stem verbs (tôl = he/she/it comes etc.) so rib- -> rîb = he/she/it flows like a torrent. Edhrîb = it flows forth like a torrent.

Stop mutation applies to ed acting as a preposition. When prepositions act as prefixes we use soft mutation. Where the final letter of the first element in a compound is D and the first letter of the second is a S, it becomes a TH, hence Ed- + siria- = Ethiria-. D+R -> DHR is actually an informed guess on my part, it may equally remain Edrib- but that seems off to me. I'll have a hunt for why I think that and come back with evidence.
Eryniell
Council Member
Send Message
Hello! I know that my question doesn't quite protain to this forum, but I didn't know where else to ask it.
I am currently using the work books on this site, but I also wanted to use an outside source as well.
Are the translations from http://sindarinlessons.weebly.com/uploads/8/0/1/0/8010213/sindarin_lessons_3.0.pdf correct?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
That's my site - the PDF needs updating, and I don't currently have the time to do it as I'm authoring a paper, so I'd suggest you use the lessons on the site . I made several edits in the last month or two that haven't made it into the PDF yet.
Eryniell
Council Member
Send Message
Okay! Your site is what I've been using for vocab, and everything seems legit just to be sure, it IS a good idea to use the lessons?
<< First1718192021Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email