Welcome Guest 

Register

<< First1920212223Last >>
Author Topic:
LalaithThaliondil
Council Member
Send Message
Suilad! I've just started learning Sindarin, and there seem to be a lot of different versions of things from different sources. It's rather confusing! I'd like to clarify a phrase that I've seen written two different ways. "Sleep well" on the CoE phrase list is translated "losto mae" but I have also seen it written "losto vae" where I'm assuming mae has been lenited to get vae. "Well" doesn't strike me as an adjective in English, but perhaps the Sindarin could literally be translated as "good sleep/rest!" in which case it would be an adjective, and thus should be lenited? And would it even make grammatical sense (in elvish) to say "Good sleep!" when wishing someone a restful night?

Losto mae or losto vae? I often want to use this phrase, so I really want to make sure it is correct!
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Well, in English 'well' is either an adverb or an adjective depending how you're using it. If it's 'Sleep well' it's an adverb, if it's 'I am well' it's an adjective. Yes it would make grammatical sense in Sindarin because adverbs are used in this manner - Noro lim! Run swift!

As to whether it should mutate - honestly, it's been several years and I'm still debating this myself, so it's up to you.
Erfaron
Council Member
Send Message
Post re: Translations Thread
on: July 20, 2015 07:19
Hello!

I'm trying to come up with a couple of names for a bow and dagger. Having a bit of trouble with one, and just need some validation for the other.

The bow I think I have right. I want it named something like "A Gift from my Father" or "My Father's Gift", etc. I've come up with Ant Adar Nin as the simplest version, several longer versions. Just wanted to see if any of the experts could give me something that flows and rolls off the tongue easily.

As for the dagger...that's a different story entirely. My first thought was to name it something like "Little Kiss", or "Slender Kiss". Something along those lines. Unfortunately, I can't find a Sindarin noun for kiss, and not sure if Mib only counts as a verb. Not only that, but Mib just doesn't sound, well, "pretty", "shiny", or "graceful" like I imagine the blade to be.

So then I began rethinking the name. Perhaps I need to get away from the thought of a Kiss for the dagger's function. Any name that would be similar in sentiment would be more than welcome. My Elvish language skills are sadly lacking in syntax, construction, and especially mutations. Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Erfaron
Council Member
Send Message
I guess after re-reading that I should explain a little...lol.

I play Lord of the Rings Online, on a role-play server. My character has a couple of weapons that need names fitting for his back story. As I've said in the original post, my Sindarin is not the best, so any help will be greatly appreciated!
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
My friend has asked me to translate something for her, and I think I have a good one but am not completely confident in my translations yet so I wanted to run it by you guys. the phrase is "I didn't choose the nerd life, it chose me"
I have "u-gillin i guil hand, ni cîll."
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
@Erfaron. The noun form of the verb Mib- is Mibed = (a) kiss.
Father's gift = Ant adar. My father's gift = Ant adarenin/Ant i adar nîn

@tiger667 Almost ! ú-gillin i guil chand, nin cill
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
Curse those mutations, thank you for catching that, and the lengthened 'u'.
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Erfaron
Council Member
Send Message
Post Thank you!
on: August 21, 2015 04:02
Thanks for the help! I thought I was close with the Bow, but had NO idea how to translate the other.
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
Is there a good word for 'nature' in Sindarin, as in not a settlement? I have used 'rhovan' (wilderness) as a placeholder, but it doesn't have the full implication of environment, animals, and weather that I want.

Here is one of the lines I am using it in, if it helps with the conotation I am going for.
rhovan na cîl uireb (nature is eternal renewal)
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
No, I'm afraid not. There was a discussion about how to create a possible reconstruction for it on the Google+ group, I'll see if I can find it for you (it was a while ago).
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
Here's the link to the discussion:
https://plus.google.com/+TamasFerencz/posts/BM7RANaCkjN

[Edited on 08/29/2015 by Tamas Ferencz]

[Edited on 08/29/2015 by Tamas Ferencz]
Languages of Middle-Earth Community - Google Plus https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Could someone pleas translate this into sindarin for me:

You are safe, we shall not harm you. Come with us, and find healing

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
I found this love poem and thought it would be interesting to know how it would sound like in Sindarin:

Lives are for living, I live for you;
Dreams are for dreaming, I dream for you;
Hearts are for beating, mine beats for you;
Angels are for keeping, can I keep you?
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
flyingarrow said:Could someone pleas translate this into sindarin for me:

You are safe, we shall not harm you. Come with us, and find healing

Not 100% word for word, slight difference in meaning, but -

Ci barn, gin ú-charnatham. Tolo adh ven, a chiro nestad. = You are safe, we will not wound you. Come with us, and find healing.

Ci = You are (if you want the formal, swap Ci for Le)
barn = safe
gin = you
ú-charnatham = we will not wound
tolo = come
adh = with
ven = us
a = and
chiro = find
nestad = healing
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Alexanda said:I found this love poem and thought it would be interesting to know how it would sound like in Sindarin:

Lives are for living, I live for you;
Dreams are for dreaming, I dream for you;
Hearts are for beating, mine beats for you;
Angels are for keeping, can I keep you?

Cuil an guiol, cuion angin
Elei an olthol, olthon angin
Huin an vlabol, i chûn nîn blâb angin
Rodyn an chebol, polo gin hebin?

Which says...
Lives (are) for living, I live for you
Dreams (are) for dreaming, I dream for you
Hearts (physical hearts) (are) for beating, my heart beats for you
Maiar (are) for keeping, can I keep you?

Honestly not sure whether it should be the verb for 'to live' or 'to be alive' in the first line. I've done it as 'to live', but if you think 'to be alive' makes more sense, swap the first line for Cuil and guinol, cuinon angin. There's no word for 'angel' so I've used Rodon = Maia instead of Balan = Vala.
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
Thank you! Will use is soon!

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Alexanda
Council Member
Send Message
Thanks! Really appreciate it.
Eglerio Eru o I gely bân siriar. (Praise God from Whom all blessing flow)
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message

Cuil an guiol, cuion angin
Elei an olthol, olthon angin
Huin an vlabol, i chûn nîn blâb angin
Rodyn an chebol, polo gin hebin?

Which says...
Lives (are) for living, I live for you
Dreams (are) for dreaming, I dream for you
Hearts (physical hearts) (are) for beating, my heart beats for you
Maiar (are) for keeping, can I keep you?

Honestly not sure whether it should be the verb for 'to live' or 'to be alive' in the first line. I've done it as 'to live', but if you think 'to be alive' makes more sense, swap the first line for Cuil and guinol, cuinon angin. There's no word for 'angel' so I've used Rodon = Maia instead of Balan = Vala.

Cuiol and olthol are participles, perhaps gerunds would be a better choice? (cuiad, olthad)
Languages of Middle-Earth Community - Google Plus https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334
aindriu
Council Member
Send Message
I am getting married next year and in order to solve the pesky business of the surname acquisition, my wife-to-be suggested that we take the core translations of our names, compound them, then translate it to another language and change our surnames to that. We chose Sindarin as the language, of course.

My surname breaks down to mean, essentially, 'dagger'. Her name breaks down to mean 'horse knight'. After various translations, the best combination we have found that is also audibly pleasing was:

"Rochonsigil," meaning "Horse rider's dagger."

Does this work or is there a better translation?
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
I am trying to create a fancy Sindarin verbal for a ritual in a game I play in, but am having trouble with some missing words that I can't find a way around (well I can't find a way around one of them). The sentence is "I create this blade in the presence of all the elements" (the game uses an element based magic system). The trouble words are: "presence" there is no sindarin word for it and I can't think of a way of saying it differently to use another word and get a similar meaning; there also, strangely, isn't a word for "element", but this one is less important because I can list them out (though I wouldn't mind having an option for it in my back pocket for if I need it). Can anyone help me out with options for 'presence' and possibly 'element' please?
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
hûd n. assembly as in 'in this company, in this assembly'?
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
aindriu said:I am getting married next year and in order to solve the pesky business of the surname acquisition, my wife-to-be suggested that we take the core translations of our names, compound them, then translate it to another language and change our surnames to that. We chose Sindarin as the language, of course.

My surname breaks down to mean, essentially, 'dagger'. Her name breaks down to mean 'horse knight'. After various translations, the best combination we have found that is also audibly pleasing was:

"Rochonsigil," meaning "Horse rider's dagger."

Does this work or is there a better translation?

Rochon+sigil = Rochonhigil

You could also use Rochben or Arben = Knight (though you lose the 'rider of a horse' meaning then).

Rochbenhigil/Arbenhigil
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
thank you for hûd. I found something to use for 'element' that makes sense to me in a setting that is heavily elemental. I am using 'faered' (a soul detail) because magic users have the element of the magic type they use. Figured I would share that for anyone else in a similar situation (I imagine that 'element' would be more likely to be needed in an elementally aligned setting)
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
bamed
Council Member
Send Message
Could anyone help me translate the line: "And he lived happily ever after, to the end of his days" or as close as can be done? Thanks!

[Edited on 09/25/2015 by bamed]

[Edited on 09/25/2015 by bamed]
Cudìr
Council Member
Send Message
I have come up with "a guia adh 'lass uireb, trî in auraith dîn." lit. "and he lived with eternal joy, through all his days.
i nui, ù i nui!!
boe iathegen gâr sigil.
Lady Lindariel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Need to translate Little one and small one
on: February 10, 2016 12:24
I was wondering if it was written tithen pen or pen tithen and if it was penneth or pen neth? penneth i read meant small ridges so I am thinking it is pen neth but someone told me it was pen dithen instead of pen tithen. Can you please help?
Lindariel
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2016 09:03
Lady Lindariel said:I was wondering if it was written tithen pen or pen tithen and if it was penneth or pen neth? penneth i read meant small ridges so I am thinking it is pen neth but someone told me it was pen dithen instead of pen tithen. Can you please help?
Lindariel

Penneth 'ridges, group of downs' is not pen + neth, but pend 'slope' plus the collective plural marker -eth = 'a group of slopes'; it does not contain the word 'small'. The combination 'nd' becomes 'nn' in the middle of a word.

Adjectives in Sindarin follow the nouns, and their first consonant is mutated ('lenited'). So pen tithen 'small person' becomes pen dithen, because t at the beginning of the word becomes d; however, pen neth 'young person' remains unchanged, because n remains n even when lenited.

You can read about lenition in more detail here:
http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/sindarin.htm#soft
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
on: February 10, 2016 09:03
Lady Lindariel said:I was wondering if it was written tithen pen or pen tithen and if it was penneth or pen neth? penneth i read meant small ridges so I am thinking it is pen neth but someone told me it was pen dithen instead of pen tithen. Can you please help?
Lindariel

Penneth 'ridges, group of downs' is not pen + neth, but pend 'slope' plus the collective plural marker -eth = 'a group of slopes'; it does not contain the word 'small'. The combination 'nd' becomes 'nn' in the middle of a word.

Adjectives in Sindarin follow the nouns, and their first consonant is mutated ('lenited'). So pen tithen 'small person' becomes pen dithen, because t at the beginning of the word becomes d; however, pen neth 'young person' remains unchanged, because n remains n even when lenited.

You can read about lenition in more detail here:
http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/sindarin.htm#soft
Alatáriel
Council Member
Send Message
Post Translation
on: March 28, 2016 01:23
Haven't been here in forever. Looking to get a translation, then hopefully an accurate tracnscription to tengwar. Wasn't sure if sindarin or quenya would be better.

To live, love.

Or just each word:

Live.

Love.
Galadivren
Council Member
Send Message
Cuio! Live!
Melo! Love!
as imperative forms of the verbs

Cuiad = To live
Meleth = Love (as a noun)
Alatáriel
Council Member
Send Message
So...(my language skills are very rusty!)

Cuiad, Meleth

Or

Cuiad, melo
IthalionRandir
Council Member
Send Message
So there's a quote that is somewhat my mantra, but I wanted to simplify it. The result of my simplification is this:

"Noble mind; savage body"

I translated it to:

"Arod ind; dru rhond".

Is there any ending changes that need to happen for the adjectives or does that work? Thanks!
Tamas Ferencz
Council Member
Send Message
IthalionRandir said:So there's a quote that is somewhat my mantra, but I wanted to simplify it. The result of my simplification is this:

"Noble mind; savage body"

I translated it to:

"Arod ind; dru rhond".

Is there any ending changes that need to happen for the adjectives or does that work? Thanks!

In Sindarin adjectives follow the noun they modify, so you will have to reverse the order of the words in your sentence. The first consonants of the adjectives undergo soft mutation (also called lenition) according to specific rules. So your sentence will look like this:
Ind arod; rhond dhrû.

Or you can use the adjective rhaw "wild, untamed" instead of drû: Ind arod; rhond thraw.
IthalionRandir
Council Member
Send Message
Alright, perfect. Thanks!
MooMoo
Council Member
Send Message
Hullo!

A few friends of mine are hoping to get 'Fellowship' tattooed in Sindarin, and we're scouring the internet for the best translation.

It seems like 'erthas' or 'erthad' would work - is there a significant difference between the two suffixes? What about 'covas' or 'govannas' (which was used in the movie and seems to be incorrect but looks so very, very pretty in Tengwar)?

Thanks so much!
<< First1920212223Last >>
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email