Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
Post Must-have Music For Tolkien Fans
on: September 21, 2010 07:03
I'll start with what I think is just a bit of must-have music for Tolkien fans. By this I mean music that emotes that elusive quasi-medieval, Middle Earth sorta vibe where you're standing on the edge of Lothlorien ... about to walk in.

Fairport Convention "Liege and Lief": It can be said this album launched the whole British folk/Celtic thing. Very, very vibe-ful.

Genesis "Trespass": This is the theme music for "The Children of Hurin."

Tenhi: Great "Kalevala-themed" band from Finland. Their "MaaƤet" is so nice. "Viimeiseen" will have you there -- wherever there is.

Loreena McKennitt: "To Drive the Cold Winter Away" is still my favorite from her. Lots of other stuff from her gets to the point too.

Werkraum: 2 Germans, 2 Brits, 2 Americans team up on "Kristalle" to pick up (finally!) where "Trespass" leaves off. Check them out on MySpace.

Estampie/Qntal: More good German stuff. They do a medieval act as Estampie and a gothy-Enya act as Qntal. My favorite single is "Chanterai por Mon Corage:" you listen, you melt.

Tolkien Ensemble: This Danish group did 4 CDs changing Tolkien's poetry to music. Christopher Lee sings and narrates on 2. Perhaps not like many other nice attempts, Tolkien would have been floored by these folks. "Galadriel's Song of Eldamar, I Sang of Leaves" has been a milestone in my life.

Mediaeval Baebes: Troublesome name, and they could leave off with the vampy, wenchy Motown stage act, but their "Worldes Blysse" is very good, indeed.

This is just a few. You got some?
Dream~Giver
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post RE: Must-have Music For Tolkien Fans
on: September 21, 2010 11:05
Not all of these artists are directly connected to Tolkien, but they've all reminded me of Middle Earth in one way or another.

Anuna--some of their songs sound very Elvish, and their harmonies are just so beautiful.

Cecile Corbel--a Breton folk/Celtic singer

David Arkenstone--especially his album for Middle Earth, but his other albums are beautiful too!

Loreena McKennitt--my goodness, this woman can sing. Celtic vibes, storytelling, you name it.

Meav Ni Mhaolcatha, Lynn Hilary, Orla Fallon--all three of these women are former singers of Anuna--when you hear these girls sing solo, it's hauntingly beautiful, almost Elvish. They're now part of or used to be a part of the group known as Celtic Woman--another lovely group, but probably not appropriate for the topic. Eimear Quinn, another former singer of Anuna, is also another good choice.

2002--New Age group, very nice.

Enya, of course. But I also would recommend her sister, Maire (or Moya) Brennan. She has one of the most beautiful voices I've ever heard, and like Loreena McKennitt, is full of Celtic spirit, it would fit nicely in with Tolkien's universe.
7hot_feanorians
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Must-have Music For Tolkien Fans
on: September 21, 2010 03:00
Loreena McKennitt and David Arkenstone are epic!

I personally love the music fom "Lord of The Ring the musical". The song Lothlorien, The Road Goes On and The Song of Hope from it are particularly good.
Give me a horse and watch me fly!
4EVERELVISH
Council Member
Send Message
this sounds lame but the song Prisoner by NEEDTOBREATHE totally screams Kili when he's trapped in Mirkwood and in love w/ Tauriel
''For an eternity I have waited for you, and now another eternity I must spend with my heart whispering your name.''
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Faun - Gaia to me has a sort of Imladrisish vibe, where the elves are leaving.

Mediaeval Baebes - Veni Veni Bella to me brings to mind the Kings Hall of Rohan as they celebrated the victory at Helms Deep, yet know they will have to go soon to war in Gondor.

Solas - Clothes of Sand This cover of Nick Drakes song reminds me of the sundering of hearts when Erendis watches Aldarion sail away from Numenor.

Heart - Battle of Evermore this cover of the Led Zepplin really has that Middle Earthy fell to it even more than the original.

This is only a few.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email