Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post LotR inspired music
on: September 28, 2010 04:28
What's your favorite Lord of the Rins inspiried song?
I personally love Sons of the Riddermark by Battlelore, Curse of Feanor by Blind Guardian and Namarie sung by Aijin Hidelias. And of course there are many other brilliant bands like, Summoning, Lingalad, and even Nightwish.
Hercynian
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: LotR inspired music
on: November 24, 2010 10:12
Probably my favorite is Shore's "Lament for Gandalf" with CT's Elizabeth Frasier singing. Next, is of course the whole Tolkien Ensemble. Even if you're not a classical music fan, there's a few good songs you'll enjoy of their's.

As far as the metal stuff, I've never been a fan, but I really support what they're doing. This yearning created by Tolkien takes many forms, hardly any of them bad.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 24, 2010 11:22
I love Tolkien inspired metal. My favorites are Blind Guardian's album Nightfall in Middle Earth (putting the Silmarillion into music was really a great idea). Also, there's the song Seize the Day by Demons and Wizards. And old stuff by Battlelore is good too.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2010 09:12
Blind Guardian has a lot of nice acoustic songs, you could try them if you want to. And their recent album has a lot of orchestral stuff although it's about the Wheel of Time and not Lord of the Rings.
They've been planning an orchestral album for quite a while which I think is supposed to be LotR centered. But I'm not sure.
I didn't realize Seize the Day was LotR related?
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 25, 2010 01:46
Yes it is! Just read the lyrics... more subtle than Nightfall in Middle Earth though.
I know most of Bling Guardian's song, I've been a fan for quite a while. I really enjoyed the new album, very varied in style. And there's also one song about George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire.
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 11, 2010 07:44
Actually I have to correct you, it's about the Dark Tower books by Stephen King, that's what the tower reference is. And seize the day is a phrase mentioned a few times in the books. So it's the Dark Tower books not LotR.
That's okay though. Stephen King's a fan of LotR. He even mentioned a passage of Sam and Frodo crossing Mordor in the third book in the series.

I absolutley love their new album, Tanerlorn was my favorite. Unfortuantley no LotR stuff, but I'm hoping for that orchestral album. If you look at some of the band pictures you can see they have an action figure of gollum on the table or in the background. I was smiling when I saw it.
Linwe_Saralonde
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 12, 2010 02:23
Really? Well I didn't know that I was so sure it was LotR! Because some part of the songs could really fit with the journey to Mordor... Anyway I haven't read the Dark Tower books, so I couldn't have known. As for most fantasy stuff, it finds its inspiration in Tolkien.

An orchestral album would be great, I really enjoyed the symphonic stuff on the album. To me all the songs were great, so it's difficult to pick a favorite. And yeah I saw the Gollum figure when I watched the videos about the new album. Was funny.
LadyOfLostSouls
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 13, 2011 06:21
hmmm, it't not exactly inspired by Lord of the Rings,
but whenever I listen to Loreena McKennitt's 'Dante's Prayer' I'm reminded of Lord of the Rings for some reason.
I think it's because of the chorus
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 21, 2011 06:26
I like Enya's lothlorien, Rush's Rivendell, and Led Zepplin's Battle of Evermore, Ramble on, and Misty Mountain Hop.
Arwen_Evenstar3597
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 05, 2011 02:54
I think of LotR--or Middle Earth in general--whenever I hear any songs by Enya. And also Ramble On by Led Zeppelin.
~Hae ephadron/Theri thaur/Am na dhû/Las fîr I ambar/A trehil i ‘alad 'lân uir tri 'wilith...~
Neenime
Council Member
Send Message
Have any of you heard Minstrels of Yuletide: A Middle Earth Christmas? It's a compilation by artists such as Arjan Kiel (A Dutch composer) and The Lonely Mountain Band. , Gandalf's Fist, Broceliande (a Celtic group). Most of it is a bit tongue-in-cheek. I ran across it on the My Middle Earth internet radio station and bought it through them (iTunes). The music is pretty good and the lyrics are a hoot.

Here is the link to the album: http://shop.legendarium.me/Minstrels-of-Yuletide-Christmas-in-Middle-earth-SSM01-1016.htm
“Some believe it is only great power that can hold evil in check. But that is not what I have found. I have found that it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love. " Gandalf
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 30, 2013 08:51
Rulea said: I like Enya's lothlorien, Rush's Rivendell, and Led Zepp(e)lin's Battle of Evermore, Ramble on, and Misty Mountain Hop.

Yes, I like all these!

There is a folk band from New Zealand called Lothlorien that has a couple albums out.

Gandalf... there are three I know of. One was a late 1960's band; one is an Austrian composer; and one was a Finnish hard metal band.

Then there is Fornost Arnor. Not my style but if they do an unplugged acoustical set, I may like it.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
I like A Walking Song (I), The Bath Song, and Farewell Song of Merry and Pippin all by Tolkien Ensemble/Christopher Lee.
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
Just to throw in a name: has anybody heard of Robin Trower? Used to be the lead guitarist for Procol Harum, turned what was supposed to be an (early seventies) Country song named “Whisky Train” into a serious competitor to the Rolling Stones’ “Satisfaction” with a snarling guitar riff, went solo 1973 at the latest. I have 8 albums by him, the last dated one from 1978, a later one called “B.L.T – Bruce, Lordan, Trower”, with Bruce being THE Jack Bruce of Cream, and drummer Bill Lordan being no slouch either. The music was perhaps not quite LotR, but holds up against much of Led Zeppelin and other similar groups mentioned here.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
I didn't know Robin Trower was inspired by LOTR.
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
Would someone with a kind soul make a small list of songs or bands inspired by Tolkien so I can check it out, please?
I only know one or two from Blind Guardian and they're pretty awesome.
And, I'm not sure it goes in this topic, but a few songs that reminds me of Tolkien's World is "Elvenpath" and "Nightquest" from Nightwish, and the songs from the band Rhapsody. They're not 'made' for LoTR and such, but their lyrics reminds me of that world. "Warrior's Pride" from Rhapsody is a personal favorite. "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" as well.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
tarcolan
Send Message
LadyElarinya, there's a thread in the Green Dragon, What Music Takes You To Middle Earth?. There is probably already a list somewhere of which musicians were influenced by Tolkien's works, I'll try and find it. Mind you, I expect there's a few people who wouldn't admit it.
Gandolorin
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:I didn't know Robin Trower was inspired by LOTR.

Well, Led Zeppelin was mentioned a few times in posts above, and I do not know if they were specifically inspired by LotR or Tolkien. But both LZ and Procol Harum started in the late 1960s, Robin Trower solo in 1973. So we’re talking about a time when LotR went off like a Saturn 5 Rocket in the US, especially with the college crowd (think Ace Books’ pirate paperback, and JRRT’s publishers finally going paperback). So they’re at the right place and time anyway. And LZ, PH and RT definitely have songs that resonate with me (and as per posts here, with others) as being compatible with JRRT’s works, even if they are not directly inspired by him.
tarcolan
Send Message
Well looky here, a whole website!
http://tolkien-music.com/
LadyElarinya
Council Member
Send Message
Awesome! Thank you, tarcolan! *.*

There's black metal, indie rock, folk, instrumental. Cool list.
"O môr henion i dhû: Ely siriar, êl síla. Ai! Aníron Undómiel. Tiro! Êl eria e môr. I 'lîr en êl luitha 'úren. Ai! Aníron…"
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
tarcolan said:Well looky here, a whole website!
http://tolkien-music.com/

Great site tarcolan!

And yes, Robin Trower... always enjoyed his albums, and saw him live in '77 I believe (those years were well covered in low clouds and fog).
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Silmelirie
Council Member
Send Message
I never knew there were so many bands inspired by Tolkien.

My favorite ones (and basically the ones I knew) is "Lothlórien" from the Fellowship of the Ring OST and "Lord of the Rings" by Blind Guardian. I didn't even know Blind Guardian had more songs inspired by Tolkien. I'm ashamed.
~*You are not wrong, who deem That my days have been a dream; Yet if hope has flown away In a night, or in a day, In a vision, or in none, Is it therefore the less gone? All that we see or seem Is but a dream within a dream.*~
ImageImageImage
Hawkins
Council Member
Send Message
My Favorite LOTR inspired songs are Lothlorien, and Star of Earendil
Lothriel
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
The Tolkien inspired music master post (in progress)

http://contemporaryelfinchild.tumblr.com/post/69327703693/tolkien-inspired-music-masterpost-in-progress

[Edited on 02/07/2014 by starofdunedain]
The Lady Idril
Council Member
Send Message
Arwen's Vigil
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0tBS_IAX-M
"When Aragorn was abroad, from afar Arwen watched over him in thought" --Lord of the Rings
The Lady Idril, Princess of Gondolin, Este Realm Member, www.loveroflembas.blogspot.com
flyingarrow
Council Member
Send Message
I love The Last Goodbye by Billy Boyd!!! Great song, well chosen words, as well as instruments

"I am burdened with glorious purpose"

Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email