Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
Post Who loves Tom?
on: January 01, 2011 11:33
Hey, I was just wondering if there are any other Tom Bombadil fans out there? If you're a fan, tell us what you like about him.

I love how he sings all the time. I also think it's cool how he's like Gandalf in that he's more powerful then he seems. He's so jolly, that I think I would be very worried if he ever cried! I like his songs so much, in fact, that I have memorized them!(the ones from FOTR, that is)
Image Image
Rosie_Cotton43
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Who loves Tom?
on: January 03, 2011 10:51
I'm a Tom fan I love his songs too--they are so fun! They seem nonsensical at first but it's cool to find the meanings in them. I think it's cool that he's really the only character not affected by the Ring, and that for all the seriousness of it, he doesn't let it bring him down or worry him in any way. It's like he knows that everything will turn out all right; he does what he can within his borders and lets go of what is out of his control. He sets his boundaries and accepts them, doesn't fight against them, and enjoys the life that he has without concern for anything he can't fix.

Hm. Didn't know I had that much to say, lol.
My blog ensanguining the skies. how heavily it dies. into the west away; past touch and sight and sound. not further to be found, how hopeless under ground. falls the remorseful day.
SongofNimrodel
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 04, 2011 11:06
i do! i like tom! it broke my heart when he wasn't in the movie. but then, you never know if they would have done a good job or not.
i like how it's like he's singing even when he's talking. everything he says (and sings) is just fun to say. plus he's an all-aroung awesome guy.

(ironic moment of the day: the random block was *just* Tom Bombadil)
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 07, 2011 10:13
I agree, he is a fun character and so laid back. I liked how condifent he was when he defeated Old Man Willow and the Barrow Wights. Plus his songs are so catchy!
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: January 10, 2011 12:15
Glad to see that there are other Tom fans

Yeah, SongofNimrodel, I don't think it would be easy to find an actor who could pull off Tom. And that was very ironic, about the random block. How often does that happen?!
Image Image
wANDERINGnOTlOST
Council Member
Send Message
on: April 12, 2011 10:46
i do! i like tom! it broke my heart when he wasn't in the movie.

idk if there is an acotr who can pull tom off. his songs are cool and i love how he acts as if the ring is about as big of a deal as a thunderstorm.
NgolwëAtarnildaliel
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 15, 2011 12:46
I love Tom Bombadil, and they totally should have put him in the movie, although that would have made the movie longer so I see why they took him out. Although quite frankly there's a good reason for putting him in, because that whole part is the explanation for why only Merry's dagger could wound the Witch King (because it was forged in Angmar). Besides which he is just awesome in a sort of mysterious way.
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: May 17, 2011 08:45
I agree NgolwëAtarnildaliel. In the film it looks like any old dagger could have brought down the Witch-King so it doesn't make sense. All it needed was an extra sentence by Aragorn when he gave them to the hobbits, and it is pretty important. (It wasn't actually made in Angmar by the way.) As to Tom - well for a long time I thought he'd been included as a safe haven for fwightened kids to go as the story got heavier. Now I see him as symbolic, the Spirit of Ea, Green Man of the Secondary World and little to do with the story. Either way, as much as I'm a fan, he would've just confused people in the film.
Beren_Onehand
Council Member
Send Message
on: March 02, 2012 10:58
Tom Bombadil is one of my favorite characters! I especially enjoy reading his songs and trying to memorize them (that might seem weird, but it is actually fun when you are bored and have nothing to do).
"All we have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to us"
Minnesota
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Who loves Tom?
on: March 26, 2012 10:53
Tom Bombadil is my all time favorite person in Lord of the Rings! I love how care-free and happy he is all the time. To me he's the most important person in Middle-Earth.
"There is some good in this world, and it's worth fighting for." Realm of Vána the Ever-young
hobbithole_dweller
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 05, 2012 09:27
Quote from Rosie_Cotton43 on January 3, 2011, 20:51
I'm a Tom fan I love his songs too--they are so fun! They seem nonsensical at first but it's cool to find the meanings in them. I think it's cool that he's really the only character not affected by the Ring, and that for all the seriousness of it, he doesn't let it bring him down or worry him in any way. It's like he knows that everything will turn out all right; he does what he can within his borders and lets go of what is out of his control. He sets his boundaries and accepts them, doesn't fight against them, and enjoys the life that he has without concern for anything he can't fix.

Hm. Didn't know I had that much to say, lol.

Well said Rosie! I love that he's so powerful but he's not arrogant about it. He's "just" Tom; Goldberry was right in that that's the only way one can successfully describe him!
Leoflic_Nightleaf
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2012 12:05
I really like Tom Bombadil as well!
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2012 04:02
glad to see some Tom fans came back and revived this thread! I thought it was dead! Hopefully no one will be left out of The Hobbit, since they've got two movies for it.
Image Image
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 06, 2012 09:17
I love Tom!!! And I highly recommend all Tom fans to click on this...

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRVIVJjuaHE
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Pimpernel_Took
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 07, 2012 11:43
Tom Bombadil is cool. And I just love his boots
...but I don't understand who/what exactly he is! Could he be an istari, since Gandalf, Saruman, Radagast, and the two blue wizards were only the chief istari in the north-western parts of middle-earth? So there ought to be more of them right? Is Tom immortal?
Probably this should have been asked in the book forum, but there are so many Tom fans here, so an answer might perhaps be found here too
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 08, 2012 01:16
Tolkien himself said he doesn't know what Tom is. He described Tom as an "enigma" I dont think there are "more of him"... If he was a kind a of being that could be classified, such as an elf or a dwarf, I think Tolkien would have given it more recognition.
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup.
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: July 16, 2012 06:26
My Tolkien handbook does mention the possibility of his an istari, but if even Tolkien didn't know for sure, I guess there's no good answer. I defiantly think he's one of a kind though. Maybe he's a wizard and made himself that way!
Image Image
tarcolan
Send Message
on: August 09, 2012 02:01
Sub-topic: where in the world do you think Tom is now?
GotPrecious
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 09, 2012 09:49
^^ ooh... I would say probably still spending his merry days singing and dancing in his cozy little house, bringing water lilies to Goldberry
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 12, 2012 12:51
Yeah, I somehow think Tom's life never changes.
Image Image
tarcolan
Send Message
on: August 12, 2012 04:37
So where in the world is he now, eh?
Nrogara
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 22, 2012 08:25
Well... that's a good question. Any ideas, anyone?
Image Image
Tristantak
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 25, 2012 01:33
Well, there are so many unknown , undiscovered places in this world, even in the middle of continental europe, that he could be anywhere. Living in alaska, I know the vastness of nature quite well.
CEOofawesome
Council Member
Send Message
on: October 14, 2012 12:40
I think Tom Bombadil could be my favorite character! I listen to the Tolkiens Ensamble version of his song all the time! He is just such an odd and random character. And while the story could work and still be loved with out him, I don't care. I also hate those theroys that he is evil, only helping the hobbits so that a competer in the worl for evil, Sauron, is defeated. He is just pure good I think. Where would Tom be now? I think living life just as he did in the fellow ship. Singing about himself in the third person, getting water lilles, stuff like that.
yes I regret my user name no I am not that full of myself
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
on: November 18, 2012 05:59
Tom is AWESOME! I like how he sings, and i like the songs he sings. He seems like a cheery person, but he is very mysterious. Like when he put on the Ring and he didn't disapeer! I was a little disappointed that he wasn't in the films, but i saw the films first, then while i was reading the books kept watching the films and when i got to Tom, i was like " He's not in the movie!" But, i guess in someways, Treebeard in the movies is like Tom Bombadil.
Mareth_Ravenlock
Council Member
Send Message
Love, love, LOVE Tom!!! He's the bomb!
~Llama Warrior of Nessa~ Sometimes, I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. - Lewis Carrol
Legolas23
Council Member
Send Message
Make a shirt out of that! then send one to everyone on this topic! lol
wolfbladequeen
Council Member
Send Message
I love Tom too! And I'm not just saying this to be a Tolkien geek or anything!I really don't get how some people can find him annoying. He's so lighthearted!I saw the film first too, Legolas23, and I think I agree with what you say about Treebeard.
If anyone had happened to look out of a window on the east side of the palace, they might have noticed two figures in the darkness, dancing in a square bordered by living plants, out of time with the dancers inside but perfectly in time with each other.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email