Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
Post I Finished It! Yay for me!
on: May 10, 2011 04:43
After around half a year, I finally finished reading Prof. J. R. R. Tolkien's masterpiece, The Lord of the Rings Trilogy:love: (sorry, my italics aren't working for me). What I did next: cried:cry:, picked up a guitar, went outside, and with the help of my Pippin, wrote a song about Frodo leaving for the Grey Havens. The experience of reading it really enhanced my perseption of hearts:heart:, in the "real world" and in my home, Middle-earth. Now, I must tackle The Silmarillion. Wish me luck, fellow Ringers!
starofdunedain
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: I Finished It! Yay for me!
on: May 10, 2011 05:17
Congratulations Frodo! :love: If you're going to tackle the Silmarillion next we now have a Silmarillion Survival Guide in Elrond's Library here. It's quite a bit more difficult to read so don't worry about trying to get through it. Take it one chapter at a time. Or maybe even one paragraph. :dizzy:
RangerStryder
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 10, 2011 07:56
If you havent read The Hobbit yet, imo do that before The Silmarillion.

Tips on reading the Sil.; write down the names and un-fam. words that are new to you, cross-ref them, chk. the index, use the Elven family tree that is included in the book...and like the other guy said; take it 1 chap. @ a time.

Congrats finishing the LotR trilogy.

cirdaneth
Books Admin & Books Forum Moderator
Send Message
on: May 11, 2011 12:40
Well done Frodo-tS!

I've been reading LotR since it was first published in the 1950s. I get more and more out of it as the years go by. There is so much food for thought, and so much guidance. Good luck with the Silmarillion. The Survival Guide is a real tour-de-force and I recommend it heartily. You will find it in the Elrond's Library menu. Have fun.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 11, 2011 05:51
Frodo2 I'm glad you read the "real" story of the Lord of the Rings. I don't see how anybody could not be inspired by those books!

The Sil is a great book too, but it can be a challenge to read straight through. I'm another who has been a fan for so many years I generally just thumb through it and re-read parts I've been thinking about. I tend to regard it more as a reference book than a novel.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 12, 2011 05:35
Thank you! I'll check out the guide!

~Frodo (the Second)
tarcolan
Movies Moderator and General Dogsbody
Send Message
on: May 13, 2011 11:23
... and of course when you've read the Silmarillion you'll just have to read LOTR again, it'll be like a whole new story. I'd agree though that it's best treated as a reference book than a story, a bit more like revising for an exam - worth it though.
Celebrian
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 14, 2011 05:56
Oh yes, you'll have to read them over and over. I've read them at least once a year for decades. And every time I get blown away!
PotbellyHairyfoot
Grandpa Moderator
Send Message
on: May 15, 2011 02:42
For the longest time I used to skim through the first few chapters of The Silmarillion and start paying attention only after the Elves entered the story. The ideas of song becoming world and the light of the trees just didn't interest me back then.
My opinion has changed since then and I now find the early chapters to be important to the story.
Frodo~the~Second
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 17, 2011 04:05
Thank you all!

~Frodo (the Second)
Bartimaeus
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 30, 2011 06:47
Congratulations on finishing LotR! It's great fun when you read it first. So is the Sil, but it's quite different. Not so much direct humour. But it's pretty exciting! Some good action and interesting characters. Great fun, but in a different way! Hope you enjoy it! (I didn't read it in order at first - I just flipped through it.)
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email