Post Game of Thrones
on: June 14, 2011 12:53
Anybody watching?
Galadeth
Council Member
Send Message
Post RE: Game of Thrones
on: June 30, 2011 05:44
Me! A friend of mine told me about it and I watched the whole first season in a few days! Too bad there's so much waiting for the second season...
Sean Bean aka Lord Stark aka Boromir is the best
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 10:10
Now that the first season has wrapped, I have to say I really liked it...went out and got the books and started reading them.
Yeah, I hate the way HBO does its series with almost a year between series/seasons, but have sort of gotten used to it. I believe Season 2 should start around the time of my spring break next year...a long ways away.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 11, 2011 05:56
Same here for me so I'll have to the same time...I also like the series I want to read the books but I don't think I'll get around it this summer. The way it ended was crazy the last two episodes were insanely awesome. Now we all have to just wait....
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: July 19, 2011 04:27
Love the HBO presentation of "Game of Thrones". Follows the book reasonable closely. When I heard of the coming show, I read the book and all I can say is WOW! Now beginning the 3rd book, "Storm of Swords", and finding this series the closest in enjoyment to the JRRT I've read in years, though a bit 'raunchier'. LOL

Can't imagine how I've missed this series ("A Song of Ice and Fire") so long. Well worth the read even though all of the books are hundreds and hundreds of pages long.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Erucenindë
Head Of Oromë
Send Message
on: July 19, 2011 05:06
I saw this show advertised and saw Sean Bean and was immediately interested. I haven't been able to watch the show or read the books yet (maybe it will come out on Netflix?), but I am interested in reading the books. I should get them next time I am at the library. Good to hear that the books have been enjoyable.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: July 19, 2011 05:37
I saw this show advertised and saw Sean Bean and was immediately interested. I haven't been able to watch the show or read the books yet (maybe it will come out on Netflix?), but I am interested in reading the books. I should get them next time I am at the library. Good to hear that the books have been enjoyable.

I was also interested because of Sean Bean's appearance in the show. It's unfortunate you haven't watched the first season yet. I don't know how long it'll take for Netflix to provide the show but you can watch it online. I'll give you a website I use if you'd like just pm me. It's not great quality sometimes but hey that's what happens when you use those sites.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: August 01, 2011 08:00
I've been happily spoiling myself for Season 2 (not on plot, I already know that, but casting of new characters)..getting excited...still a long ways away, but "spring is coming"

sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: August 01, 2011 10:50
Haha It is a long ways for the next spring we still haven't endured the harsh winter, which I am not looking forward to.
El-Tazrín
Council Member
Send Message
on: August 02, 2011 11:35
It was amazing <3 can't wait for next series!!!!!
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: August 09, 2011 05:41
I waited until the first season finished to watch the show. Hearing all the good reviews and SEAN BEAN eventually made me cave. After the first episode I decided that I had to get the books. Took two bookstores to find a cool box set with all four (at the time), but woohoo successful mission! I'm just over halfway through the 2nd book now, I think. Can't wait for season 2 to start!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: August 10, 2011 06:11
TLA,

When I heard about the show, I purchased the book and read it before the show began. Was impressed with how much the show followed the book. More importantly, I discovered how very much I enjoyed the book/show and like you, got the 4 book set immediately. I am half way through book 3, "Storm of Swords", and am entranced by the characters and the storyline. I'm glad "Dancing with Dragons" has been published because I know I'm not going to want to leave this story at the end of the 4th book, "Feast of Crows".

Am looking forward with great anticipation to season 2 of the show.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Juni
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 06, 2011 06:53
I love Game of Thrones! I was thinking of buying the books but I don't know how they are. I don't really like books that are to slow. Are the books good?
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: September 07, 2011 06:23
The books are AMAZING. I think I'm in love. :heart: Already on #3.

The show pretty much follows the book exactly, with the exception of aging the characters and changing some hair colors.... it's an excellent adaptation, so I highly recommend reading the books.
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 08, 2011 10:43
The books are fantastic. I'm hoping to watch the show, especially since Sean Bean plays Lord Stark. I've heard that the show is fantastic... ^_^
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 09, 2011 05:04
Arvanion898

You'll only get to see Sean Bean playing Lord Stark if you watch the first season somewhere (HBOGO maybe?). If you've read the books, you'll remember that he meets a gruesome end before the end of the first book.

Oops...would this have been considered a 'spoiler'? If it is, I'm sorry but at least I didn't say how... *smiles*
arvanion898
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2011 05:17
I do remember. I never implied that he would be in the second season, did I now?
Juni
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 11, 2011 08:05
Thanks for the help I will definitely read the books!
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: September 11, 2011 08:20
I'm hoping to watch the show, especially since Sean Bean plays Lord Stark.

This would suggest that perhaps you had yet to see Season 1, which is why I commented as I did.

I never implied that he would be in the second season, did I now?

Aha! Then you follow up with this query, which contradicts my assumption that you had not seen Season 1. Apologies...you did not make yourself as clear as I thought you had.

All I was attempting to say to any and all readers is that the show follows the books fairly closely as far as the main characters go, which is not like LotR in that the good guys do not always survive til the end of the story.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: September 20, 2011 01:08
**** POSSIBLE SEASON 2 SPOILERS BELOW--BEWARE******

I found a good link for those of you who know the events of the second book and would like to get a look at the castings for major new characters of Season 2. A good deal of them are here:
http://tvovermind.zap2it.com/cable/hbo/game-of-thrones/game-thrones-meet-faces-season-2/86984

I can definitely picture many of these actors dressed up for the part! Jeyne Westerling is not really how I pictured her and they've re-named Asha but oh well what can you do?

Liking their choice for Brienne a lot---I have to say I really enjoy Jaime's storyline and look forward to seeing them on screen together.
Andowen
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 25, 2011 05:10
I've seen the first series up to the second to last episode but my husband only got into it about halfway through so I'm hoping we'll be able to pick up the DVD at some point when it's out.

I've got the books on my list of books to read at some point, just as soon as I can get my hands on a copy of the first one.
CrazyElfie
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 26, 2011 09:03
*SPOILERS BELOW!*

I finished watching the entire first season only yesterday. I cried at what happened to Lord Stark, and Daenerys losing Khal Drogo... It was sad. I'm definitely reading the books, though. Definitely excited to see more of Daenerys' dragons, they were cute! :love:
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 14, 2012 03:23
Hopefully they won't stay "cute" for long....
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: February 21, 2012 02:21
**Spoilers below******

HBO has put up a new short video interviewing the actors about Season 2...good shots of Brienne (I think they did a good job), Stannis, Melisandre, etc.

[Edited on 2/22/2012 by Aowyn]
MallornHugger
Council Member
Send Message
Post Re: Game of Thrones
on: April 06, 2012 11:25
I've just recently watched the first season...and I loved it. It took a while to grow on me, as well learning all the characters. I haven't been able to watch the second season; we don't get HBO I have yet to read the books, but I'll definitely be reading them this summer. A random question: Which of the Houses is your favorite?
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: April 08, 2012 08:12
Quote from MallornHugger on April 7, 2012, 09:25
I haven't been able to watch the second season; we don't get HBO

Well on the bright side, you'll probably be able to watch all the 2nd season episodes back-to-back instead of waiting in suspense for the new one each week. I kinda download it. *cough cough* Not my fault it doesn't air where I live!

I have yet to read the books, but I'll definitely be reading them this summer. A random question: Which of the Houses is your favorite?

Since you haven't read the books you probably don't know who they are, but my favorite house is Tyrell! I think they come in in the 2nd book? I can't remember. I also really like the Lannisters. So much drama with that family lol.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: April 16, 2012 03:33
Since you haven't read the books you probably don't know who they are, but my favorite house is Tyrell! I think they come in in the 2nd book? I can't remember. I also really like the Lannisters. So much drama with that family lol.

So what do you think of "Maid Margery"?
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: April 16, 2012 10:24
Waiting to see if she'll be much different than she was as Anne Boleyn in the Tudors. *smiles*

How about Brienne of Tarth? Now there's a 'beauty' for sure. Good choice by the directors, I think. Is she really that tall?
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: April 18, 2012 07:13
I think Gwendoline Christie is about 6'3" IRL...I thought she made a very impressive entrance. My husband (has not read the books) commented "That knight, he's huge..is that the Hound?" I'm really happy with that casting.
I also loved the "the Queen mustn't know!" sequence..although I wonder if Littlefinger will end up going to the Vale after all...sounds like he's headed to visit Renly.
TheLadyArwen
Gallery Shirriff
Send Message
on: April 19, 2012 01:48
Brienne is way too tall! OMG!

I'm not happy with the casting of Stannis.

And what was with Margaery's lack of clothing in the last episode... It's nice that they're expanding her part, but come on now is the slutty look really necessary?! On the topic of Margaery, she's one of my favorite characters!
Salquelatine
Council Member
Send Message
on: May 08, 2012 10:55
I haven't seen the series... I have no clue how to get to it seeing it's not on Hulu Plus or Netflix yet.

But I'm almost finished with Feast. I will say, Arya is my absolute favorite. Daenerys and Tyrion are two of my others. Least favorite - Catelyn Stark. Ahhh... why won't she just die already?!?

Really? I always thought of Margaery as a demure lady Sad times.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: May 14, 2012 10:30
This season is awesome I enjoy every episode. I really want to read the books because I am sure there are details that have been omitted in order to accommodate for the tv series. I know you can't put everything from the book on the show but regardless I'm still intrigued. I can't wait for the next episode.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: May 16, 2012 06:35
Well, Brienne IS supposed to be bigger than most men in Westeros, so she really does fit.
I was iffy about the guy playing Stannis but he has pretty good chemistry with Davos, I have to admit.
I really have no idea what is up with Margaery's clothes, and I'm wondering if her change in demeanor is going to mean no Queen of Thorns...

Have you noticed there's been no mention of Tyrion's chain? They are kinda selling his character short, it was the wildfire AND the chain that decided the Battle of Blackwater-- and Episode 9 is called Blackwater.
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 06, 2012 09:15
I wish I read the books too because you guys definitely seem to have a deeper knowledge of what's going on than I am. I'm just watching the series and to me it's pretty good. Did anybody get to watch the season finale? I thought it ended pretty well I already can't wait for more.
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: June 07, 2012 03:48
I thought it was okay-- not as good as "Blackwater"- which rocked from end to end, I think. I can't believe season 2's over already.

You'd probably really enjoy the books. Like many adaptations, the tv show is forced to leave out a lot of interesting detail and interactions between characters. Plus they're written point-of-view style, so you get a good idea of how characters feel about things.
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email