Welcome Guest 

Register

Author Topic:
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
Post Re: Game of Thrones
on: June 07, 2012 09:39
I would think I would the books too but unfortunately I do not have the time right now but once I'm done with college this will be the first book to pick up. I know there is a lot of information the tv series is leaving out but they are still able to produce a great show. Sometimes when too much information is taken out the viewers can tell and loose it's affect. But I can't wait to start reading the books.
BerethEdhellen
RPG Moderator & Mistress of the Sea
Send Message
on: June 08, 2012 10:14
There is a great deal of material that is left out of the show but it's understandable; it is after all an hour show each week. The depth of the books, however, is far more fulfilling. I am waiting for next season already. There was a scene there that I read, said "what the ..." and read again to be sure I had read correctly. I can't wait to see how they handle it in the show. It was a shocker, to be sure.
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
sairina_star
CoE Volunteer
Send Message
on: June 11, 2012 06:25
Hi Bereth,
I can't wait for the next season either and I hope I remember that when the new season starts. Maybe you should remind us about it as the new season approaches.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: June 12, 2012 10:44
I shall try to remember. *smiles*
Life is good! Live it to the fullest. Love well those near and dear. "You cannot step into the same river twice, for the waters are ever flowing on ....." Heraclitus I Aear cân ven na mar
Rulea
Council Member
Send Message
on: September 15, 2012 03:03
I just started reading the books. So far the only characters I've come to like are Tyron, Daenerys, and Sansa. I like how Martin makes it a good read and I'm dying to see the series, I've heard alot of good reviews about it!
calenmarwen
Realm Leader of Lórien
Send Message
on: September 18, 2012 07:53
This is series is really big where I work, all my collegues are trying to get me into it. I've just finished the first book, and can't wait to get my hands on the second. And I'm hoping to see the series if some kind soul will lend it to me
I agree with you Sal though, Catelyn Stark does nothing for me, one of the least interesting characters.
"There is more in you of good than you know ..."
Aowyn
Resident Shieldmaiden
Send Message
on: December 05, 2012 05:07
Nice but short behind-the-scenes featurette is up on YouTube that aired Sunday night before Boardwalk Empire...glimpsed a LOT of the new characters for Season 3.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 06, 2012 01:44
It's a good show (haven't seen all of Season 2 yet). They do omit a lot from the books, but what can you do? Um, my favorite characters are Arya and Tyrion. Any idea when Season 3 is going to be coming out? I want to get caught up before then.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
BerethEdhellen
Send Message
on: December 07, 2012 10:08
Here in the USA, the 3rd season is due to start sometime in the spring, as I recall.
Lastiel Rusc
Council Member
Send Message
on: December 08, 2012 01:00
Ah, okay thanks. I should be caught up by then.
'If they have a fault it is distrust of strangers. Though their magic was strong even in those days they were wary. They differed from the High Elves of the West, and were more dangerous and less wise.' ~ Flies and Spiders The Hobbit
Taug anin ú-daug.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
I've been enjoying this TV mini series. I tried to read Game of Thrones a few times and got bogged down each time. Now I don't have to read it.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Can someone explain to me breifly what Game Of Thrones is about?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Lots of killing and sex.
Eighth King of Arthedain - It was in battle that I come into this Kingship, and it will be in Battle when I leave it. There is no peace for the Realm of Arnor. Read the last stand of Arthedain in the Darkest of Days.
Marille Lairiel
Council Member
Send Message
Pretty much what Arveleg said. I haven't read the books yet but I plan to. I love the show because it's a well done medieval/fantasy series, and they are hard to find. I do fast-forward some parts though, because I don't like all the sex scenes in it. I don't find the violence too bad, but then a lot of the things I read and watch are about people killing each other with swords, so it doesn't really bother me. The storyline is fantastic though
The more I live I see this life's not about me ~ Anberlin
Hanasian
Council Member
Send Message
Marille Lairiel has it right. I was going to add to my ever so brief post a few days ago that there is lots of intrigue and the acting and costuming is pretty good.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
It sounds like a very good series, and as I have a desire to perhaps someday write for a show, it would probably be in my best interest to watch an episode too. I will skip those scenes if I do watch the show, though. Are the books the same thing?
We were one in the same, running like moths to the flame. You'd hang on every word I'd say, but now they only ricochet.
Marille Lairiel
Council Member
Send Message
I don't know if the books are the same, but I am hoping to get them for Christmas so I'll let you know!
The more I live I see this life's not about me ~ Anberlin
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I do not have HBO so I have to watch Game of Thrones on dvd. I have watched the first three seasons but was hooked on the first episode of season 1.

The show is not for the faint of heart though with all the torture and killing and there are many scenes not meant for young eyes. However, I find the show quite intriguing and am looking forward to season 4 coming out on dvd in February.

I do not know anything about the books and plan on getting them from the library.

My favourite character is Daenerys Targaryen, the Mother of Dragons. I find her to be quite inspiring. So much so, that my new kitten, as some of you know, has been named Khaleesi.

Anyone else out there who watches this show?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I do not have HBO so I have to watch Game of Thrones on dvd. I have watched the first three seasons but was hooked on the first episode of season 1.

The show is not for the faint of heart though with all the torture and killing and there are many scenes not meant for young eyes. However, I find the show quite intriguing and am looking forward to season 4 coming out on dvd in February.

I do not know anything about the books and plan on getting them from the library.

My favourite character is Daenerys Targaryen, the Mother of Dragons. I find her to be quite inspiring. So much so, that my new kitten, as some of you know, has been named Khaleesi.

Anyone else out there who watches this show?
My destiny is riding again, rolling in the rain, unwinding in the wind. My destiny is fighting again, secretly unwinding..what it was I was supposed to say...to say to you today.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Lindarielwen, you know that I have not seen the show, but I have read all of the books. The final book is coming out soon, I believe, as well as a readers guide to both the TV series and the books.

For my favorite characters, I love Daenerys. She is an incredible female lead, and such a strong girl. I also love Tyrion and Jon. And Shay. In her own way, she is a very important figure to the story.

Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I have yet to read the books but I have two of them waiting for me at the library.

I love the same characters as you, Maxie. If my kitty Khaleesi was a boy, I would have named him Jon Snow. I really like Shay.

Once I start to read the books, I will look forward to discussing them with you, Maxie.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The books are a tough read. Very long, and somewhat hard to get through. But since you have seen the show, I am sure you will be fine.

Does anybody have a favorite quote from the books or TV series?

"A lady may be scared. But I am not." -Shay
"Fear cuts deeper than swords."-Arya
"I am the blood of the dragon."-Daenerys
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I've read the first book and am caught up through all four seasons of the show. It's a great show, except for the sex and nudity bits, but those are easy to not watch.
I couldn't get into the second book. I tried, but I only got a few chapters in before I got really bored. And I was watching the second season at the time, so I didn't want to try and keep up with both at the same time.

Have y'all heard this song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvt13PtV5I
I really like it. It's a little weird to listen to at first, but it's pretty cool.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The books were a little tough to get through. Too much going on at one time. But they are still very good, and are written with quality, not mass production, in mind.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I took Khaleesi with me to the library this morning to get Game of Thrones and Clash of Kings. I will get started on Game hopefully tomorrow.

I have seen the first three seasons of the series and look forward to season 4 on dvd in February. The only thing that disturbs me about the show are the excessive torture scenes.

rhodilwen, how I loved that song! Daenerys is my favourite character on that show so anything that features her, I like. There is a mix on Youtube that only shows her scenes from season one.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
The torture scenes in the book are very slight, mentioned on occasion. There was one in the third book that sickened me. However, both book and series should be viewed with discretion.

rhodilwen, I loved that song too!
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Season 3 had a torture scene that was really bad. Do the books correspond with the tv show?

I heard GoT was signed for season 6. I am not sure when season 5 starts but I still have to see season 4.

I have yet to start reading Game of Thrones. Hopefully, I can start in the morning.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Season 3 had a torture scene that was really bad. Do the books correspond with the tv show?

I heard GoT was signed for season 6. I am not sure when season 5 starts but I still have to see season 4.

I have yet to start reading Game of Thrones. Hopefully, I can start in the morning.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
I think they do correspond. It would make sense, if it was the occasion that I am thinking about.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
I am thinking about the guy getting tortured on that cross. Is it Greyjoy?

I am only a few chapters into the book and the TV series seems to be following it quite accurately so far.
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yes! But I was thinking of someone else too.

I am glad you are enjoying the books, Lindarielwen. I love all of the cover artwork.
Lindarielwen
Council Member
Send Message
Who are you thinking of?.....does he wear a crown?

The TV show is following the book pretty closely right now. However, I was surprised to learn that Daenerys was only 13. Her age is not mentioned on the show but she is not 13 to my eyes. I do not think viewers would accept her as being 13.
Sarniel
Council Member
Send Message
I think that's why it isnt mentioned in the show, the girl playing her looks much older and besides, its less controversial this way.
Although, to be fair, the story is set in sort of medieval times, so people did marry at that age.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.”
findemaxam48
Council Member
Send Message
Yeah, she is thirteen. And I think Sansa and Arya are younger than that. He does wear a crown, Lindarielwen.

Yeah, making them all seem older would make the show less controversial. Even though, for many people, it already is.
rhodilwen
Council Member
Send Message
I think I heard somewhere that G.R.R. Martin wished now that he had made all the younger characters (like Danaerys) older. Because even Robb and Jon are very young.
I know in the third and fourth season, they changed some stuff from the book. But since I haven't read the books, I couldn't tell you exactly what. Some character stuff and plot lines I think.
The men of the east may spell the stars/ and times and triumphs mark/ But the men signed with the cross of Christ/ go gaily in the dark- G.K. Chesterton ~Member of the Realm of Ulmo~ http://clairembanschbach.wordpress.com/
Members Online
Print Friendly, PDF & Email